Akai MPC One

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, lisa

h4ndcrafted
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Akai MPC One

Post by h4ndcrafted » Thu Jan 23, 2020 6:18 pm

exper wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 8:55 pm
I’d say the biggest drawback is the lack of extra outputs and the lack of a drive bay. Yes you can use SD card with large sizes, but still. I don’t trust those as a good long term storage solution.

As a Force owner, I’m a little peeved that this has twice the CV outputs!

Ultimately though, this will mean more users using the common firmware, which should be an incentive for Akai to keep updating.
Just use a usb to Sata adapter and plug that in the usb slot, that’s what I use with the SP16 with a 500gb flash. Assuming you are not using it for a keyboard,
We don't want to conquer space at all. We want to expand Earth endlessly. We don't want other worlds; we want a mirror.

Funkydroid
Common Wiggler

Post by Funkydroid » Sat Jan 25, 2020 12:29 pm

Divinital wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 2:43 pm

I think I’ll only be satisfied with the extremely limited and nuanced grooveboxes / MPCs of yesteryear.
I think you are not the only one and that's the big selling point of the Isla 2400- the workflow that inspires and invites to create, much more than any pc solution. It's all on paper still, well see how that pans out as there are extras put in, different feel of buttons from the loved original etc. I have high hopes still!

slumberjack
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by slumberjack » Sat Jan 25, 2020 2:26 pm

Funkydroid wrote:
Sat Jan 25, 2020 12:29 pm
Divinital wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 2:43 pm

I think I’ll only be satisfied with the extremely limited and nuanced grooveboxes / MPCs of yesteryear.
I think you are not the only one and that's the big selling point of the Isla 2400- the workflow that inspires and invites to create, much more than any pc solution. It's all on paper still, well see how that pans out as there are extras put in, different feel of buttons from the loved original etc. I have high hopes still!
Nonetheless the ONE ticks lotta boxes with me.
> WTB ADDAC502 <

www.stefanrudin.bandcamp.com / www.soundcloud.com/stefan_rudin / www.youtube.com/user/slumberknut

Carefully crafted dj set meandering between deep house, minimal and electro.

Cornerman
Common Wiggler

Post by Cornerman » Mon Jan 27, 2020 5:06 am

I am pretty tempted by this MPC One. Considering the fun I had with my MPC 2000 XL way back when. I almost pulled the trigger on a digitakt. But since I already have a machinedrum I might make my next drum sampler / sequencer this new MPC One. Also the CV gates outs are very convenient.

Anyway hoping for some user experiences asap ;)

r05c03
Ultra Wiggler

Post by r05c03 » Tue Jan 28, 2020 5:44 pm

So, I am not familiar with MPC line general. Is it more of a performance tool. Can it serve as a multitrack recorder? I know it only has two inputs, but can whole tracks be built?

How DAW tied is the MPC One.
Gear List: Elektron Octatrack, Elektron A4,Microbrute, Bass Station, Rings Braids, Pitts Ring Mod, Pitts Osc, Echophon, Intillegel uFold / uMIDI, PNW2, Doepfer 138-c, 119, Tiptop Z4000, Maleko Fade / 8NU8R

Cornerman
Common Wiggler

Post by Cornerman » Wed Jan 29, 2020 12:01 pm

r05c03 wrote:
Tue Jan 28, 2020 5:44 pm
So, I am not familiar with MPC line general. Is it more of a performance tool. Can it serve as a multitrack recorder? I know it only has two inputs, but can whole tracks be built?

It's standalone, so not necessarily DAW tied. But it has stuff like Ableton link and you can export individual tracks from what I gather in the video.
It's a sampler sequencer first and foremost, not a mulittracker like the tascam units for example. You can however sample everything in the MPC and make complete songs with it.

Let's say you made a bass line on a synth , you can sample it, and do whatever with it in the MPC.

You can also use it as a pre production tool for sequencing and record to a DAW , recorder.

slumberjack
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by slumberjack » Wed Jan 29, 2020 2:22 pm

Cornerman wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 12:01 pm
r05c03 wrote:

Let's say you made a bass line on a synth , you can sample it, and do whatever with it in the MPC.

...and you could sequence that bass line from MPC if there's MIDI od CV in on the synth. If the synth got a keyboard you actually also could play the keys and record the notes into the MPC and then play the sequence back and store the pattern if it's there's a MIDI out available on that synth.

And you can do this with more synths or a multitimbral too since there are 16 Midi channel to send and receive data.
The MPC is a very powerful tool for composing and arrangement.
Last edited by slumberjack on Wed Jan 29, 2020 10:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
> WTB ADDAC502 <

www.stefanrudin.bandcamp.com / www.soundcloud.com/stefan_rudin / www.youtube.com/user/slumberknut

Cornerman
Common Wiggler

Post by Cornerman » Wed Jan 29, 2020 3:31 pm

slumberjack wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 2:22 pm
Cornerman wrote:
r05c03 wrote:

...and you could sequence that bass line from MPC if there's MIDI od CV in on the synth. If the synth got a keyboard you actually also could play the keys and record the notes into the MPC and then play the sequence back and store the pattern if it's there's a MIDI out available on that synth.

And you can do this with e few different synth. The MPC is a very powerful tool for composing and arrangement.
Indeed ! It's the machine I had a lot of fun with in the past. This one is on the radar as my new foray in the mpc world.

slumberjack
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by slumberjack » Wed Jan 29, 2020 10:39 pm

Cornerman wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 3:31 pm
slumberjack wrote:
Cornerman wrote:
r05c03 wrote:

And you can do this with e few different synth. The MPC is a very powerful tool for composing and arrangement.
Indeed ! It's the machine I had a lot of fun with in the past. This one is on the radar as my new foray in the mpc world.
I'm looking for a machine as the heart of my live set that is easy to setup up with parts of my productions, reliable, playful and has a small footprint.
I like the Force more but it's huge and I use a MonoMachine and a Model:Samples on stage so the Ocata does feel like an Elektron overkill since I'm not sponsered by them :hmm: and as much as I love the Yamaha SU700 it's huge and takes a lot of time to prepare.
> WTB ADDAC502 <

Cornerman
Common Wiggler

Post by Cornerman » Thu Jan 30, 2020 9:20 am

slumberjack wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 10:39 pm
Cornerman wrote:
slumberjack wrote:
Cornerman wrote:
r05c03 wrote:

I'm looking for a machine as the heart of my live set that is easy to setup up with parts of my productions, reliable, playful and has a small footprint.
I like the Force more but it's huge and I use a MonoMachine and a Model:Samples on stage so the Ocata does feel like an Elektron overkill since I'm not sponsered by them :hmm: and as much as I love the Yamaha SU700 it's huge and takes a lot of time to prepare.
Well I think you can't go wrong with the MPC, which is a more straightforward than the Octratrack. I have had an MPC 2000 and was going in a matter of minutes and learning pretty fast. Have a Machinedrum and that learning curve was much steeper. The MPC would be pretty ideal as a heart of any setup. Whether it be live or in the studio.

slumberjack
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by slumberjack » Thu Jan 30, 2020 12:33 pm

Cornerman wrote:
Thu Jan 30, 2020 9:20 am
Whether it be live or in the studio.
Sure it would also in the studio for a not to extensive MIDI setup. For me I'm set with a Cirklon which i really don't like to see leaving the studio again after i did take it with to few gigs
> WTB ADDAC502 <

r05c03
Ultra Wiggler

Post by r05c03 » Thu Jan 30, 2020 1:27 pm

So there are 8 CV channels, but 4 output jacks. I suspect that means that each each ones takes 1x TRS by 2x TS?
Gear List: Elektron Octatrack, Elektron A4,Microbrute, Bass Station, Rings Braids, Pitts Ring Mod, Pitts Osc, Echophon, Intillegel uFold / uMIDI, PNW2, Doepfer 138-c, 119, Tiptop Z4000, Maleko Fade / 8NU8R

ronnieb
Common Wiggler

Post by ronnieb » Thu Jan 30, 2020 2:19 pm

r05c03 wrote:
Thu Jan 30, 2020 1:27 pm
So there are 8 CV channels, but 4 output jacks. I suspect that means that each each ones takes 1x TRS by 2x TS?
Yeah, this was confirmed in one of the vids, annoying touch imo but $ wise, I get it.

Does anyone have experience with how the cv assignments work on the MPC software? Is each channel locked to gate/pitch?

Voltcontrol
Ravey Dave

Post by Voltcontrol » Fri Jan 31, 2020 7:01 am

slumberjack wrote:
Cornerman wrote:
slumberjack wrote:
Cornerman wrote:
r05c03 wrote:

I'm interested to learn what your motivation is to pull the trigger on the One. Torn a bit between a One or a Force. sometimes I even think that using a digitakt as a brain might suffice for me.
Gaun Yersel!

slumberjack
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by slumberjack » Sat Feb 01, 2020 1:12 am

Voltcontrol wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 7:01 am
slumberjack wrote:

I'm interested to learn what your motivation is to pull the trigger on the One. Torn a bit between a One or a Force. sometimes I even think that using a digitakt as a brain might suffice for me.
One:
+ 8 CV outs
+ size
+ USB in for a keyboard (got a K-Board pro 4)
+ price

Force:
+ Ableton style workflow
+ colors :)
+ chromatic keyboard
+ more audio outs

I'm not sure on both if it's possible to play full tracks timesteched like with the Octatrack. (?)
> WTB ADDAC502 <

Inju
Common Wiggler

Post by Inju » Wed Feb 05, 2020 1:17 am

Just ordered the MPC One as well. I was buying a black Keystep trying to use the 15% discount on the phone with Guitar Center and they said unfortunately Arturia is on the no discount list. (I already own a white Keystep...I have a gear buying disease :( ) I then just by happenstance asked about the MPC One and they said, yeah the 15 percent would work on the MPC One. :D

I was about to get an OP-Z but the guy selling it on Reverb has been a bit slow and this was just a wee bit more for 8 CV/gate out and a ton of functions. In terms of audio outs, I believe it may be four given the headphone jacks in the front. Given that this can be used by DJs they may have the headphone outs as separate assignable outputs.

I don't really care about the audio outs that much tbh.

For less then $600, this thing is inexpensive for what it does. 8 CV/gates, USB midi host, sampling beast, it also lets you take one sample sound and pitch it chromatically across the pads! Auto threshold and dynamic sample cutting by pressing the pads so they are automatically assigned to the pads! I mean omg....record from your Eurorack and cut the samples live. My mind is buzzing with everything this does for under $600. I just watched one hour of MPC one tutorials and getting more excited!

h4ndcrafted
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by h4ndcrafted » Wed Feb 05, 2020 9:37 am

Yes this as a preset saver for synths is doing it for me. I know it’s easy in live , but it just dumps all the samples together.

I’ll still prob prep samples on my Mac , but the sequencer alone is prob worth it. I’m into this thing. Wonder if they thought of doing an audio out module for it ? I’m not sure that would cannibalise their range too much.
We don't want to conquer space at all. We want to expand Earth endlessly. We don't want other worlds; we want a mirror.

Inju
Common Wiggler

Post by Inju » Wed Feb 05, 2020 9:40 am

BTW the MPC One uses the same software as MPX Live which does polyrhythms. ;)

hamildad
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by hamildad » Wed Feb 05, 2020 4:32 pm

ronnieb wrote:
Thu Jan 30, 2020 2:19 pm
Does anyone have experience with how the cv assignments work on the MPC software? Is each channel locked to gate/pitch?
This will be key for me, Is it 8xCV or 4xGate/Pitch?
My Synth Instagram here * My Synth videos here
-
External PSUs and DC jacks are the hallmarks of toys. - Graham Hinton.
-
I am one of the "tiny fraction of a percentage of oversensitive idiots" who feels the name of this site sends the wrong message.
-
This is primarily for melody and historical educational purposes - Analogue Music

Inju
Common Wiggler

Post by Inju » Wed Feb 05, 2020 5:29 pm

It looks like you can assign the CV and Gates separately and also assign them to the Q knobs which will allow you to either use the knobs for automation OR use the touch screen for automation as well. Basically automated knobs for your eurorack for everything that has CV! In other words, it's very flexible, but I believe it may just be 0 to 5 volts for the range. I'm wondering if there is a way to adjust this, though shouldn't be a problem for me since I have modules that can scale my voltages up or down.

If you look at the video you can assign each output to one of four categories, pitch, gate, mod wheel and I'm forgetting the fourth. So you can have either 8 pitch, 8 gates or 8 whatever you need. I'm getting mine on Thursday so I will let you know.

Inju
Common Wiggler

Post by Inju » Thu Feb 06, 2020 12:24 am

hamildad wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 4:32 pm
ronnieb wrote:
Well I did receive it tonight and there is definitely a learning curve. You can have separate tracks for all CV with automation.

ronnieb
Common Wiggler

Post by ronnieb » Thu Feb 06, 2020 6:57 am

Inju wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 12:24 am
hamildad wrote:
ronnieb wrote:
Well I did receive it tonight and there is definitely a learning curve. You can have separate tracks for all CV with automation.
Nice one for the info! Be great to hear your feedback after you wrap your head around it. Really tempted by the One but also a bit reserved due to all the complaints and moaning about the MPC software.

Don't know if you're an Ableton user but I'm really interested to hear how the Ableton link feature works. Read somethings in the past about the MPC slipping out of time when changing sequences and such. My goal would be to have the MPC linked with Ableton and use it as the reference clock for my eurorack but I'm a bit skeptical on how reliable that will be.

OIP
Common Wiggler

Post by OIP » Thu Feb 06, 2020 7:14 pm

Inju wrote:
You can have separate tracks for all CV with automation.
well, shit. really want to try a sampling and resampling workflow with this plus modules.

i'm imagining it can also do MIDI in (eg via keyboard) to CV / gate out?

Inju
Common Wiggler

Post by Inju » Fri Feb 07, 2020 12:51 am

OIP wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 7:14 pm
Inju wrote:
You can have separate tracks for all CV with automation.
well, shit. really want to try a sampling and resampling workflow with this plus modules.

i'm imagining it can also do MIDI in (eg via keyboard) to CV / gate out?
Yep it does! I plugged in my Qunexus to the MPC Ones USB and it worked instantly, so it is a USB to CV/gate convertor. Now for the CV automation you need to set velocity on the track to the max and then run one note across the gate to use the grid at 1/64. Use the velocity out and draw your CV curves. Or you press program menu and use the knob to adjust each CV out. Make sure you're in write mode and turn the knob. Press read mode to have it run the automation on the screen based on your knob movements. The voltage rate is 0 to 5 volts. If your modules need -5 to 10 then get a utility module since I have not found a way to change the voltage spread.

Inju
Common Wiggler

Post by Inju » Fri Feb 07, 2020 1:06 am

ronnieb wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 6:57 am
Inju wrote:
hamildad wrote:
ronnieb wrote:
Nice one for the info! Be great to hear your feedback after you wrap your head around it. Really tempted by the One but also a bit reserved due to all the complaints and moaning about the MPC software.

Don't know if you're an Ableton user but I'm really interested to hear how the Ableton link feature works. Read somethings in the past about the MPC slipping out of time when changing sequences and such. My goal would be to have the MPC linked with Ableton and use it as the reference clock for my eurorack but I'm a bit skeptical on how reliable that will be.
I can try tomorrow. I do use Ableton but am not great at using it. If it's through wifi the MPC one only uses a network cable. I'm at my gf so I don't have a network cable. Can you use Ableton link with just the USB cable?

Return to “General Gear”