Akai MPC One

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

Inju
Common Wiggler

Re: Akai MPC One

Post by Inju » Fri Feb 07, 2020 11:52 pm

The velocity curve for the pressure pads is a bit disappointing. You can adjust the curve only in one slope and there is no way to adjust the minimum volumn for touching the pads. I'm used to playing a weighted piano. When you press the key even gently the weight of the hammer makes a sound. The curve to feel like a real piano for me after numerous experimentation is a very quick rise to 75 percent then more pressure for 100% volumn. I am now nearly just using the half way and full volumn settings exclusively since the velocity is to difficult to control. Akai if you're listening you should allow us to DRAW our velocity and volumn curves and have full access to set the Y curve point to have a minimum sound based on a low pressure velocity.

(((EMP)))
Common Wiggler

Post by (((EMP))) » Sat Feb 08, 2020 5:03 pm

Given the price of the One, I think its a hit. Of course at least one more stereo pair of outs would be better. Really like the form factor. There’s also a Live MK2 in the works so I guess I’ll wait and see what that has to offer? But, truth be told... Not buying any of them until Akai finally delivers the promised multitimbral MIDI.

Inju
Common Wiggler

Post by Inju » Sun Feb 09, 2020 1:13 am

Just thought I should mention this. Randomization!

Voltcontrol
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Voltcontrol » Sun Feb 09, 2020 1:48 pm

A new video that might be of interest:

Diabolik!
Common Wiggler

Post by Diabolik! » Sun Feb 09, 2020 10:21 pm

i just got mine in, and i like this so much better than the live. the dedicated buttons make a huge difference for me. the menu diving on the one had it collecting dust on my shelf, but this one is actually fun to play.

silkynight
Common Wiggler

Post by silkynight » Sun Feb 23, 2020 1:51 pm

Still none in Canada... :help: Hopefully this week. I hope the situation in china is not affecting shipping. B&H reviewed their ETA from end of feb to mid-April.

r05c03
Ultra Wiggler

Post by r05c03 » Fri Feb 28, 2020 11:56 am

Any one sequencing modular gear with one of these yet using the CV outs? I am curious about how fully featured the sequencing capabilities are. Arperggiator? Transpose? Re-trigs?
Gear List: Elektron Octatrack, Elektron A4,Microbrute, Bass Station, Rings Braids, Pitts Ring Mod, Pitts Osc, Echophon, Intillegel uFold / uMIDI, PNW2, Doepfer 138-c, 119, Tiptop Z4000, Maleko Fade / 8NU8R

Inju
Common Wiggler

Post by Inju » Sat Feb 29, 2020 2:55 am

r05c03 wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 11:56 am
Any one sequencing modular gear with one of these yet using the CV outs? I am curious about how fully featured the sequencing capabilities are. Arperggiator? Transpose? Re-trigs?
It does Arp and Transpose. I'm not understanding retrig though. What do you mean by retrig?

r05c03
Ultra Wiggler

Post by r05c03 » Sat Feb 29, 2020 8:16 am

Inju wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 2:55 am
r05c03 wrote:
It does Arp and Transpose. I'm not understanding retrig though. What do you mean by retrig?
Sometimes, it is called ratcheting. I guess I am looking for any tricks it can do with its MIDI sequencing features that can add variations to the arpeggio as it plays, such as LFO control of play speed, slight randomization of a patterns, etc.
Gear List: Elektron Octatrack, Elektron A4,Microbrute, Bass Station, Rings Braids, Pitts Ring Mod, Pitts Osc, Echophon, Intillegel uFold / uMIDI, PNW2, Doepfer 138-c, 119, Tiptop Z4000, Maleko Fade / 8NU8R

Inju
Common Wiggler

Post by Inju » Sat Feb 29, 2020 10:33 am

r05c03 wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 8:16 am
Inju wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 2:55 am
r05c03 wrote:
Sometimes, it is called ratcheting. I guess I am looking for any tricks it can do with its MIDI sequencing features that can add variations to the arpeggio as it plays, such as LFO control of play speed, slight randomization of a patterns, etc.
Thanks for clarifying, I do know what retriggering is. I just didn't know if you mean live vs within the sequencer. This is a full blown sequencer DAW so you can pencil in as many gate, CV and MIDI outputs you want based on the resolution. Which is 1/ 64 retriggers per beat. Retriggering to me is a challenge for modular because you're generally locked into a very specific grid where each hit is one trigger and trying to find clever ways to have it hit multiple times per pass, unless you're talking about live performance. If you're talking about live for multiple notes. The Arp can go up to 64 retriggers in a beat and can do triplets. What is amazing is you can program it to do just retriggers as well instead of arping and you can choose your own patterns instead locking into a beat. It gives you four option, rhtym, pattern, note repeat and arp. You can also add swing and it has a toggle for latching the sustain pedal as well if your playing notes. So the answer is yes, it can do retriggering in spades.

slumberjack
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by slumberjack » Sat Feb 29, 2020 1:51 pm

...(if I hook up a MPE keyboard) does it record also the CC messages on MIDI in?

r05c03
Ultra Wiggler

Post by r05c03 » Wed Mar 04, 2020 8:17 am

Any one using the CV out to sequence / modulate their Eurorack? How well does it do? Liking it? Neat features so far as gate or v/oct? Does it have dedicated or assignable LFOs or envelopes that it can out put via CV?

Tun
Common Wiggler

Post by Tun » Wed Mar 04, 2020 8:33 am

I don’t have the cash atm but I’m hoping the MPC One will excel in areas the Elektron Digi boxes don’t, ie: real-time cc recording and song mode. If so I think the MPC One paired with my Digitakt and Digitone would be my perfect otb sequencing/sampling setup.
Also, very interested to hear the variety/quality of factory samples (yes I know these boxes are designed for sampling/dropping samples in, but a fantastic factory library can make getting ideas down and jams sounding good very fast).

(((EMP)))
Common Wiggler

Post by (((EMP))) » Fri Mar 06, 2020 11:16 am

r05c03 wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 8:17 am
Any one using the CV out to sequence / modulate their Eurorack? How well does it do? Liking it? Neat features so far as gate or v/oct? Does it have dedicated or assignable LFOs or envelopes that it can out put via CV?
The One has the same CV functionality as its bigger brother the X. There’s some good videos about CV on the X if you do a YT search.

dBVelocity
Learning to Wiggle

Post by dBVelocity » Tue Mar 10, 2020 8:26 am

Nearly a month and no word from Sweetwater on my mpc one order. :waah:

silkynight
Common Wiggler

Post by silkynight » Sun Mar 22, 2020 12:54 pm

got mine here in canada a week ago. Brilliant little box, worth the wait.

dBVelocity
Learning to Wiggle

Post by dBVelocity » Sun Mar 22, 2020 6:06 pm

Update: Sweetwater has shipped mine..it appears many people are in queue as it's still listed as a preorder. So yeah, a month and half of waiting and my journey begins with the mpc workflow. Glad I get a new toy before full lockdown!

Cornerman
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Cornerman » Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:56 am

dBVelocity wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 6:06 pm
Update: Sweetwater has shipped mine..it appears many people are in queue as it's still listed as a preorder. So yeah, a month and half of waiting and my journey begins with the mpc workflow. Glad I get a new toy before full lockdown!
Cool have fun and I am curious about your experience since I am trying to decide if I want one :)

aethyr
Wiggling with Experience

Post by aethyr » Sun Mar 29, 2020 11:18 am

like a boner, i picked up a second hand MPC One and now need 1/8" TRS to split 1/8" TS... what do you guys use?

slumberjack
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by slumberjack » Sun Mar 29, 2020 4:08 pm

aethyr wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 11:18 am
like a boner, i picked up a second hand MPC One and now need 1/8" TRS to split 1/8" TS... what do you guys use?
I'd solder.

Here you find plugs with wider shaft so that you can fit two cables in and place a heat shrink.
http://www.rean-connectors.com/en/produ ... -mm-plugs/

dBVelocity
Learning to Wiggle

Post by dBVelocity » Sun Mar 29, 2020 7:53 pm

Ok it's been a solid few days crunching into the mpc workflow coming from a guy who never owned any mpc and has been using the Roland grooveboxes as the main hub for nearly 20 years.

It's different, which should go without saying. I'm pretty up to speed on setting up my own sample based drum kits and it is quite nice and simple to do. The programming interface is nice and live record oriented, the piano roll mode and step edit is tricky and a bit cumbersome so it's nice for fine edits.
The internal plugins are simple to use as well as doing keygroups and clips of samples that loop but I'm not employing keygroups or internal plugins really as I mostly want to sequence externally.

Which brings me to the midi track/program settings, there could be better implementation here for sure.
For example I set a given track e.g. track 6 to control the OB-6 and create a midi program and title it OB. Now I edit the midi channel to send on channel 6. I save my midi program and start a new project and load the program. I now have to set the midi channel to 6 as it defaults to 1 as my earlier settings are tied to the track of the previous project. The midi program really only stores the name and whatever q-link data that I have setup for cc control. Ok, not too concerned but it did throw me for a minute.

Another note is how the PC messages are also tied to the track in a given sequence. If I create another sequence that has a different patch all is well until I bounce the two sequences together i.e. song arrangement as one long sequence. Then the PC messages are not bounced as part of it but rather it stays with the original (sequence 1).
So it's maybe just as well not using song mode stuff if you rely on full automation. It is after all setup for live jamming and queuing the sequences live gives you all the control with room for live remixes.
Another workaround for song creating would be to record back my parts as needed into the mpc as audio tracks and create a song from that. However I enjoy tweaking the knobs live so I'll continue doing that unless I decide I want to post a track. Likely I'll just set another device to capture the whole performance.

It's by far a greater device for samples than other tools I've used. I'm getting on with it fine and there are quirks but it seems no device can really do it all perfectly so I'll continue to embrace it's strengths and work with it's limitations. It can be deep but not so hard to figure out.
Cheers.

solipsvs
Wiggling with Experience

Post by solipsvs » Sun Mar 29, 2020 8:59 pm

wut do yawls expect, its an mpc. they aint never been much for sophistication until now, and their traditional market are peoples who dont take the sequencing super far but rather sample something clever and rest on the talent of others. you dont need much of a machine for that. they prolly turned a bunch of those people off with the latest os which is bigger and deeper than any previous mpc. akai needs its feng shui back and to make a simple but solid machine. this way it can be more complete from the start. we sure dont need a tacky gold toof bloated jukebox lookin thing unless its tight and bug free, and has the right stuff. i think akai is having troubles implementing important shit like midi sync or really tight sync of any kind with all the bloat getting in the way. parts of my force are a complete mess even tho the hardware is lovely. im def holding onto hope.

dBVelocity
Learning to Wiggle

Post by dBVelocity » Mon Mar 30, 2020 3:20 pm

Well it's a bit funny that a device that was originally devised as a Midi Production Center is not really centered around midi. Old school sequencers were just that.
Don't get me wrong, I love this device. I have been outside the box producing for years and this gives a lot of functionality and interface that other devices cannot.

If you're on the fence about buying this I'd say do it. The sampler side of it is ace. I don't have any regrets just putting an opinion that there's some room for improvements that would make it killer. I won't hold my breath for that but maybe akai will listen and expand on it. Namely the custom cc labels inside midi program and shift+pad for track select. Those would be my top 2.

solipsvs
Wiggling with Experience

Post by solipsvs » Mon Mar 30, 2020 7:16 pm

i hear you.

apparently midi in this day and age it hard to get right with solid timing and tx/rx. these boxes are still decent value and sound incredible honestly. theres quite a number of pretty good effects and a couple decent synths too.

Funkydroid
Common Wiggler

Post by Funkydroid » Thu Apr 02, 2020 5:07 am

dBVelocity wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 7:53 pm
Ok it's been a solid few days crunching into the mpc workflow coming from a guy who never owned any mpc and has been using the Roland grooveboxes as the main hub for nearly 20 years.
Thanks for the honest review. Was eyeopening to a person with not of mpc experience. I think i will endorse your conclusion that One is really about turning samples into instruments (this includes recording, editing, playability etc.). Effects and sequencer is more like bonus that in best scenario should be kept for better things, ie. sequencing trick ponys. Glad to hear that the new Akai is delivering in his field.

Return to “General Gear”