Korg Opsix

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

blopho
Learning to Wiggle

Re: Korg Opsix

Post by blopho » Fri Jan 17, 2020 12:39 am

Awesome.

So we have this and:
-Digitone
-Volca FM
-Argon8
-Hydrasynth
-Wavestate
-probably others I can't remember

Does this mean FM/digital synthesis is becoming popular again?
Or dare I say it, could we have new Digital/FM synths and analog synths being released at the same time in equal measure?? :hyper:

computer controlled
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by computer controlled » Fri Jan 17, 2020 1:22 am

This is what Yamaha should have done with the XFM engine. Just threw it in a standalone keyboard minus the AWM2 engine.
Stuff: SH-01A . TR-8S . MX-1 . D-20 . Waldorf MicroQ . Ensoniq EPS 16+ . Yamaha MODX6 . Yamaha DX7 . MPC Live . Avalon BassLine . Behringer Neutron . Behringer MS-101 . Behringer Pro-1 . Behringer K-2 . Behringer TD-3 . E-Mu Emax . E-Mu Emax II . BeatStep Pro . Keystep .

ugokcen
Veteran Wiggler

Post by ugokcen » Fri Jan 17, 2020 4:54 am

It exists :hyper:

ugokcen
Veteran Wiggler

Post by ugokcen » Fri Jan 17, 2020 5:00 am

Here's a screen capture.

Very good idea to have the operator ratios as knobs and envelope stages as fader encoders. That should make it pretty easy to edit - after all the secret to getting usable FM sounds is fine-tuning the level and the frequency of the modulators.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Annwn
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Annwn » Fri Jan 17, 2020 5:19 am

Very cool and looks very well thought out with waveshaping, filter FM and ring mod to boot. I see an "analyzer" button so I assume they'll be using a variation of their oscilloscope display to show you some realtime modulation madness. Good times!

But it does look utilitarian as hell. No nonsense synthesis for the no-nonsense synthesist!

joey
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by joey » Fri Jan 17, 2020 5:54 am

i hope we get to see some videos of this thing in action

Kattefjaes
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Kattefjaes » Fri Jan 17, 2020 6:51 am

I could do without this at a time when I am trying not to accumulate more standalone synths. I don't have any FM, and have been shying away from the Digitone very carefully for a bit. The Wavestate was calling to me somewhat, but a full-on straightforward FM (which is what this looks like) could be a lot of fun. The GAS is real.

Christopher Winkels
Lord of Tweed Manor

Post by Christopher Winkels » Fri Jan 17, 2020 7:01 am

I can't tell if this is 100 christmases all coming at once, or 100 January Visa bills all coming due.

Either way, I want one.

Zymos
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Zymos » Fri Jan 17, 2020 9:03 am

joey wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 5:54 am
i hope we get to see some videos of this thing in action
It’s a prototype behind glass, I’m not sure how much action it is capable of at this point.
Would be cool if they could actually demo it, but I don’t think they’re ready for that.

ugokcen
Veteran Wiggler

Post by ugokcen » Fri Jan 17, 2020 9:13 am

Yeah I think it is pretty much a tease at this point. I don't expect it to be available until the end of 2020. That's not too bad - it gives us plenty of time to save up :hihi:

Korg are killing it this year. They really get what the synth community wants and have something to offer at all price points. Can't say the same thing about Roland or Yamaha, to put it mildly.

coolshirtdotjpg
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by coolshirtdotjpg » Fri Jan 17, 2020 9:37 am

This looks great, but also it's hilarious how this gets announced and we don't have people crying about thievery and intellectual properly because the company's name begins with K and not B.
New video for my track
Opening The Portal

chiasticon
Wiggling with Experience

Post by chiasticon » Fri Jan 17, 2020 9:43 am

coolshirtdotjpg wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 9:37 am
it's hilarious how this gets announced and we don't have people crying about thievery and intellectual properly because the company's name begins with K and not B.
are they actually copying or cloning anything? serious question. I don't know FM synths very well, but I know enough to not see anything glaringly obvious being cloned... :?

Bobby
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Bobby » Fri Jan 17, 2020 9:45 am

yeah so far looks like less of a straight up shit rip-off and more of a mush needed expansion to me.

disclaimer. im old and have owned a lot of the original versions of stuff Behringer have cloned so far and sold them. so most of what they done is already boring to me. Some of the rare stuff theyve promised clones of i am interested in as its stuff i cant afford the originals of and have dreamed about. but please lets not make this yet another Behringer thread.

Zymos
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Zymos » Fri Jan 17, 2020 10:20 am

coolshirtdotjpg wrote:
This looks great, but also it's hilarious how this gets announced and we don't have people crying about thievery and intellectual properly because the company's name begins with K and not B.
That would be because it’s not even remotely the same situation. Even though some people might have called it a DX7 clone, it isn’t that.

ugokcen
Veteran Wiggler

Post by ugokcen » Fri Jan 17, 2020 10:35 am

There is not much to be gained from a manufacturer’s perspective from cloning a DX7 because you can always find one used locally or online for not much money. What makes this Korg project interesting is that it gives you a much better user interface and more sound mangling options at the oscillator level. I would happily pay a premium for that.

coolshirtdotjpg
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by coolshirtdotjpg » Fri Jan 17, 2020 10:42 am

Zymos wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 10:20 am
coolshirtdotjpg wrote:
That would be because it’s not even remotely the same situation. Even though some people might have called it a DX7 clone, it isn’t that.
It looks like a DX series synth, it has the same architecture as a DX series synth. Anyway, I don't really care, but the first thing I thought was "oh is that a new DX-7?" which was most people's objection to what B is doing (copying the loo). Anyway, I probably shouldn't have brought it up, it's just funny to me.
New video for my track
Opening The Portal

onthebandwagon
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by onthebandwagon » Fri Jan 17, 2020 10:59 am

coolshirtdotjpg wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 10:42 am
Zymos wrote:
coolshirtdotjpg wrote:
It looks like a DX series synth, it has the same architecture as a DX series synth. Anyway, I don't really care, but the first thing I thought was "oh is that a new DX-7?" which was most people's objection to what B is doing (copying the loo). Anyway, I probably shouldn't have brought it up, it's just funny to me.
It made you literally laugh?
“no matter how fine you grind the dead meat, you’ll not bring it to life again“

Voltcontrol
Ravey Dave

Post by Voltcontrol » Fri Jan 17, 2020 1:52 pm

onthebandwagon wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 10:59 am
coolshirtdotjpg wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 10:42 am
Zymos wrote:
coolshirtdotjpg wrote:
It made you literally laugh?
Or chuckle figuratively?

dopefiend
Likes SHOUTING!

Post by dopefiend » Fri Jan 17, 2020 3:05 pm

Funny how this thing pops up shortly after I got me a DX7-II FD, with E! enhancement no less. I am currently delighting with the gorgeous sounds this thing makes, along with its superb keyboard action, and up comes something like this. It’s like I’m making love to a beautiful woman and along walks in another, younger but equally gorgeous gal. I guess one can never be too old for ménage a trois... :hihi:
Noisemakers: Maracas. Squeaky shoes. Bean-induced flatulence.
An oncologist is like The Lone Ranger: he is chemo savvy.

Sir Ruff
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Sir Ruff » Fri Jan 17, 2020 7:19 pm

blopho wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 12:39 am
Awesome.

So we have this and:
-Digitone
-Volca FM
-Argon8
-Hydrasynth
-Wavestate
-probably others I can't remember

Does this mean FM/digital synthesis is becoming popular again?
Or dare I say it, could we have new Digital/FM synths and analog synths being released at the same time in equal measure?? :hyper:
Add to that:
-OSS Mostro
-Twisted Electrons MegaFM

This looks super rad. Makes me regret having plonked down on the MegaFM but like someone said I assume we won’t see this Korg for a while.

FM has lots to offer but has always been inhibited by the interface. Attempts to modernize including stuff like DX200 and now Reface never address the obvious, which is that there just needs to be a TON of knobs and sliders.

MegaFM has managed this to a T; Mostro does an excellent job of maximizing sound breadth with minimal controls; this more complicated Korg looks like they’ve found a good middle ground between controls/features.

quadrupole
Common Wiggler

Post by quadrupole » Sat Jan 18, 2020 12:21 am

Korg is really blowing it up! It’s like they get that we want synthesizers that synthesize!

Looks like it will indeed go a bit beyond straight DX fm type synthesis. The four large diagrams under the algorithm diagrams are: FM synthesis, Ring Modulator, Waveshaper, and Filter FM. One of the smaller buttons toward the center is also labeled ‘filter’. Maybe some different digital filter types? That could be fun.

tim gueguen
Wiggling with Experience

Post by tim gueguen » Sat Jan 18, 2020 12:46 am

The original Chowning FM patents have expired, and I wouldn't be surprised if some of the Yamaha ones have as well. Besides, Korg and Yamaha seem to have a friendly relationship.

flashheart
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by flashheart » Sat Jan 18, 2020 5:05 am

Discussion on GS suggests this could be based on the MOD-7 engine from the Kronos whis has these features.
I'm not buying a maths though, not my idea of fun...

teleport
Common Wiggler

Post by teleport » Sat Jan 18, 2020 4:58 pm

Getting some serious Korg Poly-800 nostalgia from that design.

(First synth I ever owned was a DX100, traded it for the Poly-800 (for that *analog sound*)) - if they put guitar strap buttons on this it'll be a perfect offspring of those two.

RickKleffel
Wiggling with Experience

Post by RickKleffel » Sat Jan 18, 2020 8:26 pm

Looks delightful, but, keyboard. Don't need one more. It also looks to be in the league of Kodamo, without the insane polyphony. Count me intrigued heading towards meh. The most recent Kodamo demos, are quite impressive. At the first batch was underwhelming to the point of why bother. Seems like Kodamo might live up to its specs. Alas it's going to be a while before we have both to mull over, which is actually good.

Return to “General Gear”