Korg Opsix

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

Blairio
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Korg Opsix

Post by Blairio » Sat Jan 18, 2020 9:42 pm

coolshirtdotjpg wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 9:37 am
This looks great, but also it's hilarious how this gets announced and we don't have people crying about thievery and intellectual properly because the company's name begins with K and not B.
Yamaha bought a controlling interest in Korg in the late 80's. Therefore I suggest Yamaha know exactly what Korg are doing, and are helping them do it.

Personally I liked the discipline of the original DX7. Yes, the OpSix has got lots of bells and whistles, but I would rather see a 6 operator Reface DX, with a full size keyboard.

Christopher Winkels
Lord of Tweed Manor

Post by Christopher Winkels » Sun Jan 19, 2020 6:26 am

Blairio wrote:
Sat Jan 18, 2020 9:42 pm
coolshirtdotjpg wrote:
This looks great, but also it's hilarious how this gets announced and we don't have people crying about thievery and intellectual properly because the company's name begins with K and not B.
Yamaha bought a controlling interest in Korg in the late 80's. Therefore I suggest Yamaha know exactly what Korg are doing, and are helping them do it.
Korg is no longer owned by Yamaha, having bought back the controlling stake in the mid-90s.

Fabong
Common Wiggler

Post by Fabong » Sun Jan 19, 2020 7:41 am

Opsix has my interest, never got excited about minilogue or wavestate but this is cool.
Avant Garde a clue

dopefiend
Likes SHOUTING!

Post by dopefiend » Sun Jan 19, 2020 9:00 am

Nothing beats a full-size keyboard. If the keybed action is anything like the DX7-II, I’m getting one, as the synth engine appears to be a freaking wet dream.
Noisemakers: Maracas. Squeaky shoes. Bean-induced flatulence.
An oncologist is like The Lone Ranger: he is chemo savvy.

mallarme
Wiggling with Experience

Post by mallarme » Sun Jan 19, 2020 9:03 am

Don't forget Korg already has a full-on FM engine operational, and that supports many of the requests here, inside the Kronos for instance (and others... Oasys, I guess).

It would be logical for them to take their software and add it to a standalone box, like this. I've asked for years for this, because one of the main reasons I bought a Kronos back when, was because of the FM. (I sold my Kronos and regret it, as it was a dream machine... well, the filters could have been way better, that is true ;) )

Blairio
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Blairio » Sun Jan 19, 2020 9:09 am

Christopher Winkels wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 6:26 am
Blairio wrote:
Sat Jan 18, 2020 9:42 pm
coolshirtdotjpg wrote:
Korg is no longer owned by Yamaha, having bought back the controlling stake in the mid-90s.
Of course, 1993....

Back in the day, Yamaha reckoned the 4 operator DX9 would steal the lions share of the sales. It didn't. Funny how Yamaha ressurected FM in 4 operator guise for the Recace DX.

JimY
Wiggling with Experience

Post by JimY » Sun Jan 19, 2020 11:12 am

There is more chance of the Titanic docking in New York than a keybed like the DX7 had ever being made again. That keybed was a Yamaha/Korg joint venture and either the tooling wore out or got ruined beyond repair or is stuck in licencing hell since the two companies parted.

dopefiend
Likes SHOUTING!

Post by dopefiend » Sun Jan 19, 2020 2:28 pm

DELETE.....
Noisemakers: Maracas. Squeaky shoes. Bean-induced flatulence.
An oncologist is like The Lone Ranger: he is chemo savvy.

Jim the Oldbie
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Jim the Oldbie » Sat May 16, 2020 2:07 am

Those were pretty nice keybeds. One of the last to feature actual metal leaf switches, which held up remarkably well as long as the cat didn't pee on 'em or something. Unfortunately too expensive to produce these days, when most buyers just want something keyboard-shaped and cheap. Also I think they were lead-weighted, which is a non-starter now.

Return to “General Gear”