Behringer: practices, ethics, morals and legitimacy.

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

onthebandwagon
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Behringer: practices, ethics, morals and legitimacy.

Post by onthebandwagon » Wed Mar 04, 2020 11:52 pm

I am suddenly reminded of Elon Musk’s woeful “pedo guy” tweet.
“no matter how fine you grind the dead meat, you’ll not bring it to life again“

construct09
Sine me up

Post by construct09 » Thu Mar 05, 2020 12:05 am

onthebandwagon wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 11:52 pm
I,m waiting for Elon and Claires synth line :despair:

onthebandwagon
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by onthebandwagon » Thu Mar 05, 2020 12:09 am

construct09 wrote:
Thu Mar 05, 2020 12:05 am
onthebandwagon wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 11:52 pm
I,m waiting for Elon and Claires synth line :despair:
Is that GRimes pre-hipster name?
“no matter how fine you grind the dead meat, you’ll not bring it to life again“

KSS
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by KSS » Thu Mar 05, 2020 3:01 am

JayEm wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 6:55 pm
Arneb wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 1:47 am
In theory, no. In practice, Behringer can survive a lost lawsuit and Kirn can't.
What lawsuit? When has Kirn EVER released any music gear under a brand name of Kirn? Was he planning on it?
Do people think Korg can't hire a bloke named Roland because they might get sued?
I don't get this jump from trademark to being blackballed out of the industry?
Look up Donimoog.

KSS
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by KSS » Thu Mar 05, 2020 3:04 am

Risc_Terilia wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 1:43 am
JayEm wrote:
Tue Mar 03, 2020 8:51 pm
nodog wrote:
Tue Mar 03, 2020 2:04 am
The non-apology apology ("we're sorry if you feel offended") is just the icing on the cake.
Don't get me wrong, you can find it too little or simply refuse it, but the apology is there. I just don't understand where people are coming from.
Open to answers from anyone else who is reading this differently as well.
It's actually not - he's deleted it...
Par for this course of action. The whole reason QFT came into being as the internet unfolded. And still exists but does not seem to be used as often as might help the problem.

StillNotWorking
Veteran Wiggler

Post by StillNotWorking » Thu Mar 05, 2020 5:54 am

thealienthing wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 2:54 pm
'lil baby wiggler here.

The B model D and it's enticing price point was what helped me to make my first step into the world of analog synthesis and then eurorack. I realize that some of these big companies making cheap clones may be problematic in some ways, but I appreciate that I was able to get a first start through the Boog. Since I'm a poor college student, gear is a rarity and so I need to make my dollars go a long way. Once I finish school and get my paws on some of that sweet moola, I look forward to treating myself to the better products outside of behringer and synthrotek. 8-)
Welcome thealienthing!

Just like to mention I paid much less for my second hand analog Roland and DSI synths than B is charging for their non preset analogs. Admittedly none of them look like something Moog designed which seem to be what resonate so much with many of their customers.

BTW, whats up with the non polyphonic Poly D? (dang that missleading name seem to bother me. In a way it sum up what this company is all about)
I've seen two videos by very competent synthesis guys where both of them had different issues. One had what sounds like DC offset popping through its supposedly closed VCA. And the other one had what the user described as intermittent cracling noise from the chorus.
looking for service manual for the Clavia ddrum AT or ddrum III

StillNotWorking
Veteran Wiggler

Post by StillNotWorking » Thu Mar 05, 2020 6:20 am

mat1 wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 9:21 pm
Licudi wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 6:48 pm
Nick Batt thinks (hopes) it's a storm in a teacup. Gaz Williams says its boring. Whereas Ty Unwin thinks the issues are Music Tribe's corporate bullying and Herr Behringer's morality.
Not surprising that the guy with the £150k studio has an issue with Behringer..

You can't expect to criticize people publicly and not get a response. Especially in the era of social media where CEOs want to reach customers directly. That's not how the internet works. I do think trademarking his name was a step too far though.. that's more than a bit of internet trolling.

CDM is one of the few blogs I check in on but his Behringer articles just show how out of touch Kirn is with people who actually make music..
How so I wonder? Most musican I know are social and caring people. Usually very poor and still share the little they have and take a lot of interest in learning about injustice towards others. As I see it CDM article is very much targeting towards those who tries to make a living from making music. For young lower middle class kids dreaming to be famous musician and still in 'me first modus ' not so much.

LDT
The Modu-Lars

Post by LDT » Thu Mar 05, 2020 7:01 am

The recent thing about DevilFish 303, had me thinking that Mr B, had quite questionable moral values, but this REALLY seals the deal. He has now irrevocably proved to the world, that he has the integrity of a North Korean statesman, combined with the emotional maturity of a five-year-old.
I am officially done with that company.
-Lars

strettara
mufferthucker

Post by strettara » Thu Mar 05, 2020 7:09 am

I just ordered a Behringer UMC204HD audio interface. How do I atone? Which charity should I donate to?
"Music is man, described to man, in the language of things."

strettara.bandcamp
New EP: étude

Make sure to visit The Avant Garde Project

dubonaire
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dubonaire » Thu Mar 05, 2020 7:10 am

StillNotWorking wrote:
Thu Mar 05, 2020 6:20 am
mat1 wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 9:21 pm
Licudi wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 6:48 pm
Nick Batt thinks (hopes) it's a storm in a teacup. Gaz Williams says its boring. Whereas Ty Unwin thinks the issues are Music Tribe's corporate bullying and Herr Behringer's morality.
Not surprising that the guy with the £150k studio has an issue with Behringer..

You can't expect to criticize people publicly and not get a response. Especially in the era of social media where CEOs want to reach customers directly. That's not how the internet works. I do think trademarking his name was a step too far though.. that's more than a bit of internet trolling.

CDM is one of the few blogs I check in on but his Behringer articles just show how out of touch Kirn is with people who actually make music..
How so I wonder? Most musican I know are social and caring people. Usually very poor and still share the little they have and take a lot of interest in learning about injustice towards others. As I see it CDM article is very much targeting towards those who tries to make a living from making music. For young lower middle class kids dreaming to be famous musician and still in 'me first modus ' not so much.
That's the thing right? I seem to belong to some archaic group of people who think industry leaders should be leaders in how we think about and approach the world with compassion and generosity. But there is clearly a part of Behringer's market who think fucking over critics and being a bully is OK, and even meritorious, as long as they can buy cheap copies of 40-year-old synths and that seems to be where he thinks his market lies. That is the tragedy being played out for me. The idea that an "epic troll" is a good thing is regressive beyond comprehension.
Last edited by dubonaire on Thu Mar 05, 2020 7:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

naos
Common Wiggler

Post by naos » Thu Mar 05, 2020 7:17 am

StillNotWorking wrote:
Thu Mar 05, 2020 6:20 am
As I see it CDM article is very much targeting towards those who tries to make a living from making music. For young lower middle class kids dreaming to be famous musician and still in 'me first modus ' not so much.
Class warfare has become an unescapable topic at this point :lol:
One can argue that Behringer's "office joke" was very political in that sense, even if very shitty. Modular synths are the hobby of an insufferable youtube bourgeoisie sniffing its own woke farts.

Rafaelxyz
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Rafaelxyz » Thu Mar 05, 2020 7:27 am

It's suprising to me how much people get offended about these events. From being a bit of a boring company behringer has now awekened my interest. Might just get a behringer 2600.

nodog
Common Wiggler

Post by nodog » Thu Mar 05, 2020 7:40 am

Rafaelxyz wrote:
Thu Mar 05, 2020 7:27 am
It's suprising to me how much people get offended about these events. From being a bit of a boring company behringer has now awekened my interest. Might just get a behringer 2600.
It's suprising to me how much people think this is totally acceptable behaviour and will, sometimes even due to this behaviour buy stuff from them.

Epic trolling seems the thing to strife for and decency something to laugh about. This is happening all over. We're all fucked.

dubonaire
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dubonaire » Thu Mar 05, 2020 7:40 am

Rafaelxyz wrote:
People are not being offended. They are being repulsed. The smell of vomit does not offend me, but it does repusle me. i'm surprised you don't know the difference.

Rafaelxyz
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Rafaelxyz » Thu Mar 05, 2020 8:01 am

nodog wrote:
Thu Mar 05, 2020 7:40 am
Rafaelxyz wrote:
It's suprising to me how much people think this is totally acceptable behaviour and will, sometimes even due to this behaviour buy stuff from them.

Epic trolling seems the thing to strife for and decency something to laugh about. This is happening all over. We're all fucked.
I think it’s more the comic over reactions people get than anything else.

strettara
mufferthucker

Post by strettara » Thu Mar 05, 2020 8:03 am

Who knew it would be Uli Behringer that separates the goats from the sheep. He is truly the Son of Man. :hail: :hail: :hail:
"Music is man, described to man, in the language of things."

strettara.bandcamp
New EP: étude

Make sure to visit The Avant Garde Project

Skilling
Common Wiggler

Post by Skilling » Thu Mar 05, 2020 8:09 am

nodog wrote:
Thu Mar 05, 2020 7:40 am
Rafaelxyz wrote:

Yes it is just sad.

Behringer tried to impress a certain kind of people and did so. The Breitbart of the synth community.

Zymos
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Zymos » Thu Mar 05, 2020 8:32 am

Diabolik! wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 11:08 pm
this honestly seems like some internal office joke that they unfortunately thought it would be funny to release.
They didn’t file for a trademark on the guy’s name several months ago for “some internal office joke”. The plan was obviously to publicly ridicule him.

Muzone
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Muzone » Thu Mar 05, 2020 8:36 am

strettara wrote:
Thu Mar 05, 2020 8:03 am
Who knew it would be Uli Behringer that separates the goats from the sheep. He is truly the Son of Man. :hail: :hail: :hail:
Indeed, he has come to enlighten us - Uli Akbar :spin:

Muzone
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Muzone » Thu Mar 05, 2020 8:41 am

dubonaire wrote:
Thu Mar 05, 2020 7:10 am
.... I seem to belong to some archaic group of people
Everyone's viewpoint eventually becomes irrelevant, or at least purely introspective (unless they move with the times) - then it's just another old person howlin' at the moon :lol:

kcearl
Learning to Wiggle

Post by kcearl » Thu Mar 05, 2020 8:44 am

Im all for epic trolling of the big boys, but a journo? Nope that was shitty.

Its like the "cool" release videos, theyre not...behringer are not a hip brand, theyre not cool, I doubt theyll ever be...shit I wish they made all their synths look like NAD amps, all function over form.

But Im glad they exist...my three best recent purchases were a pro 2, ob6, vc340...then just got a pro one last month its superb. Id own neither without these "clones". If people think they make crap theyve either never touched them or they are letting some disproportional hatred drive their opinion.

They just need to modify their behaviour, the drama will always be there for those that hate them, just dont give them the ammo...behave behringer, behave :mrgreen:

KSS
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by KSS » Thu Mar 05, 2020 8:53 am

StillNotWorking wrote:
Thu Mar 05, 2020 5:54 am
BTW, whats up with the non polyphonic Poly D? (dang that missleading name seem to bother me.
Polytonic is just as valid as polyphonic. Or even simply poly by itself meaning many. Many D's is a perfectly appropriate name.

Since the PolyD is what we've come to understand as Paraphonic, quite a number have posted that Behringer call it the PolyD to avoid the deprecating humor of calling it a ParaD.

I'm as dismayed as the others who've posted about the company's recent bullying, but we don't have to find problems where they don't really live.

PolyD doesn't require a jump to assumption of polyphonic.

StillNotWorking
Veteran Wiggler

Post by StillNotWorking » Thu Mar 05, 2020 9:46 am

KSS wrote:
Thu Mar 05, 2020 8:53 am
Polytonic is just as valid as polyphonic. Or even simply poly by itself meaning many. Many D's is a perfectly appropriate name.

Since the PolyD is what we've come to understand as Paraphonic, quite a number have posted that Behringer call it the PolyD to avoid the deprecating humor of calling it a ParaD.

I'm as dismayed as the others who've posted about the company's recent bullying, but we don't have to find problems where they don't really live.

PolyD doesn't require a jump to assumption of polyphonic.
While this might me correct, and I didn't have any deep thoughts on the matter until I saw Starsky Carr unboxing video. Printing on the shipping box says
Poly D
Analog 4-Voice Polyphonic Synthesizer with...
At least to me that imply something different than what comes out of the box.

Edit: It also says Polyphonic on the product page.
Last edited by StillNotWorking on Thu Mar 05, 2020 9:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

The Goob
Common Wiggler

Post by The Goob » Thu Mar 05, 2020 9:47 am

dubonaire wrote:
Thu Mar 05, 2020 7:10 am
But there is clearly a part of Behringer's market who think fucking over critics and being a bully is OK, and even meritorious, as long as they can buy cheap copies of 40-year-old synths and that seems to be where he thinks his market lies. That is the tragedy being played out for me. The idea that an "epic troll" is a good thing is regressive beyond comprehension.
They probably sell a lot to teenagers just getting into music. That video was pretty sophomoric - I can see someone age 10-18 getting excited about an "epic troll" and not thinking much about free speech implications, common decency, etc. Most people outgrow that.

There are also plenty of adults for whom business ethics does not really play into consumer decisions. Price is the main factor for a lot of people. I know people who say they don't like how Walmart or Amazon operate, but continue to buy from those companies on a regular basis. The behavior they disapprove of is outweighed by price/convenience. I'm not sure where their threshold for not supporting a company is, but it clearly hasn't been reached in those cases. That line is a personal decision. I do think, in general, business ethics is more of a consideration now than it used to be.

StillNotWorking
Veteran Wiggler

Post by StillNotWorking » Thu Mar 05, 2020 9:56 am

The Goob wrote:
Thu Mar 05, 2020 9:47 am
Price is the main factor for a lot of people. I know people who say they don't like how Walmart or Amazon operate, but continue to buy from those companies on a regular basis. The behavior they disapprove of is outweighed by price/convenience. I'm not sure where their threshold for not supporting a company is, but it clearly hasn't been reached in those cases. That line is a personal decision. I do think, in general, business ethics is more of a consideration now than it used to be.
I'm guilty as well. That why discussion and learning about topics like this are so important. How else can consumers do conscious decision when able to?

Return to “General Gear”