Behringer: practices, ethics, morals and legitimacy.

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe., lisa

onthebandwagon
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Behringer: practices, ethics, morals and legitimacy.

Post by onthebandwagon » Thu Nov 26, 2020 11:47 am

Red Electric Rainbow wrote:
Thu Nov 26, 2020 9:58 am
onthebandwagon wrote:
Thu Nov 26, 2020 9:38 am
Oh, I think you misunderstood my motivation for mentioning the story, I didn't really have much of a point and have no aspirational attachments to these people but while I might eat at a Benihana I wouldn't buy anything from Behringer.
:tu:
With that said, I have not been to Japan but have dealt with Japanese store owners (vintage clothing) for over 10 years and they do have a sort of apprenticeship model still going on, and a code of conduct that I don't see an equivalent of in the US. My one customer/friend opened a store on the same street as one he worked in and was seen as a priarh for a bit because of it.
I criticize by creation and by finding fault

"I'm on stage its all an act, I'm really scared that I may fall back on the abstract
It'd be exactly where I'm at"

Luap
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Luap » Thu Nov 26, 2020 11:48 am

3hands wrote:
Thu Nov 26, 2020 11:42 am
Joe. wrote:
Thu Nov 26, 2020 12:52 am
dubonaire wrote:
Thu Nov 26, 2020 12:32 am
...typical heavy-handed behaviour from the usual suspect.
Actually, it's the final step in a very long, drawn out, multiple-warning drama. A drama that included multiple promises to the previous owner and new promises to multiple Mods, promises that continue to be broken.

Not that other people's warnings or agreements are any of your business, except in this case because you're going to find yourself in the exact same position if you continue your habit of criticising mods at every possible opportunity.

Based off this post, I very much hope member Luap gets banned for dragging Lisa’s name through the mud in regards to her moderating, and essentially “deep faking” her giving a very unreasonable reason as to why she deleted some of his posts. Be consistent.
Oh dear.. You are rattled aren't you :hihi:
Again, mentioning in a B thread that B owns Oberheim breaks no rules. You know it, I know it, and Lisa knows it. But if you like unnecessary censorship, then carry on doing what you're doing :tu:
Last edited by Luap on Thu Nov 26, 2020 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

3hands
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by 3hands » Thu Nov 26, 2020 11:49 am

Was that a mosquito I heard?
Gum is fun, but not on a cat.

My minds an art gallery.

Arneb
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Arneb » Thu Nov 26, 2020 1:14 pm

Luap wrote:
Thu Nov 26, 2020 11:48 am
Oh dear.. You are rattled aren't you :hihi:
Again, mentioning in a B thread that B owns Oberheim breaks no rules. You know it, I know it, and Lisa knows it. But if you like unnecessary censorship, then carry on doing what you're doing :tu:
It was not a Behringer thread, but a Behringer Swing thread, and whatever else the Swing's faults it's not getting published under the Oberheim trademark. In that sense, the Oberheim stuff was off-topic.

See also: The moderation's rationale for creating this thread right here.

Luap
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Luap » Thu Nov 26, 2020 2:21 pm

Arneb wrote:
Thu Nov 26, 2020 1:14 pm

It was not a Behringer thread, but a Behringer Swing thread, and whatever else the Swing's faults it's not getting published under the Oberheim trademark. In that sense, the Oberheim stuff was off-topic.

See also: The moderation's rationale for creating this thread right here.
I believe it was yourself that was recently using this very thread to share your knowledge of European MDMA supply chains.
A post which is still there I might add, and hardly fitting with the "moderators rationale for creating this thread"
;)

red
Wiggling with Experience

Post by red » Thu Nov 26, 2020 2:52 pm

... I'm not really understand all of this!
red

steviet
Wiggling with Experience

Post by steviet » Thu Nov 26, 2020 3:04 pm

I was just thinking about this whole SWING debacle. Could it be that Behringer's marketing team struck gold with an outrage campaign? Free advertising because everyone is talking about it?

Just a thought.
Soundcloud
Website - DIY/Euro/Gear Blog updated every Sunday

Peake
I'm in ur DIY. Filling cases with Buchla

Post by Peake » Thu Nov 26, 2020 3:07 pm

They're certainly building an increasing number of people who will never support or purchase from them again, but that of course will always be overwhelmed by those only interested in getting something cheap regardless of the effect its existence has upon others.
This is not the place I'd imagined it to be.

steviet
Wiggling with Experience

Post by steviet » Thu Nov 26, 2020 3:11 pm

That was sort of my thought. There are a lot of people who are very upset, but I'd bet there is also a bunch of people who never heard of the SWING and might never have heard of it, if not for the amount of people in the room yelling about it.

I'm not saying it's wrong to be upset about this sort of thing, but any publicity is good publicity.
Soundcloud
Website - DIY/Euro/Gear Blog updated every Sunday

Luap
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Luap » Thu Nov 26, 2020 3:21 pm

steviet wrote:
Thu Nov 26, 2020 3:11 pm
but any publicity is good publicity.
Exactly. I feel thats their gameplan, because it costs them nothing. So well played on that front! Indeed even factoring in any possible legal bills with copyrights/trademark infringements or whatever, I reckon this must still work out more cost effective for them in the long run.
Many including me might not approve of their tactics, but I'll give them credit where credit is due, they know exactly what they are doing!

Muzone
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Muzone » Thu Nov 26, 2020 3:28 pm

Peake wrote:
Thu Nov 26, 2020 3:07 pm
They're certainly building an increasing number of people who will never support or purchase from them again, but that of course will always be overwhelmed by those only interested in getting something cheap regardless of the effect its existence has upon others.
Distasteful practice - apparently so by online responses
Illegal - yet to be tested, let alone proven
Effect upon the existence of others - 99.999% of the world's population completely unaware, let alone affected

22tape
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by 22tape » Thu Nov 26, 2020 3:52 pm

Uli is a media whore. That kind of thing is going around. It only affects us here on Muff's because we're dealing with a media whore who just so happens to make music gear.

Also, I mentioned this earlier in regards to Uli mocking a journalist, but I think it applies just as much to his whole brand as exemplified by the release of Swing--

Antagonism will always be a pillar of the anti-establishment ideal. Thing is, it's so easy to be spitefully antagonistic, like Uli. But It's difficult to be thoughtfully antagonistic, like George Carlin.

There used to be a difference between being politically incorrect and just being an asshole. Nowadays, even though assholes are still assholes, they can claim that they're not assholes and that they are just politically incorrect. Also, assholes have a very specific talent at turning the situation around and playing the victim.

I'm not against Uli defending himself if he feels the need, but this is what happens when you're spitefully antagonistic instead of thoughtfully antagonistic. I think Uli knew exactly what he was doing, and this is the exact reaction he wanted. In today's outrage culture, it's no wonder outrageous assholes are making a name for themselves and laughing their way to the bank.

That said, It seems that many of these media whores are actually less motivated by money and more motivated by the fear of losing relevancy in pop culture. Money is just the icing that perpetuates their sociopathy.

dubonaire
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dubonaire » Thu Nov 26, 2020 4:01 pm

Muzone wrote:
Thu Nov 26, 2020 3:28 pm
Peake wrote:
Thu Nov 26, 2020 3:07 pm
Distasteful practice - apparently so by online responses
Illegal - yet to be tested, let alone proven
Effect upon the existence of others - 99.999% of the world's population completely unaware, let alone affected
As I alluded to earlier, I would say they are not aiming at western markets, but developing markets in which they already have a much stronger distribution network than competitors like Arturia.

kons
Wiggling with Experience

Post by kons » Thu Nov 26, 2020 4:27 pm

dubonaire wrote:
Thu Nov 26, 2020 4:01 pm

As I alluded to earlier, I would say they are not aiming at western markets, but developing markets in which they already have a much stronger distribution network than competitors like Arturia.
Yes good point... there seems to be lots of youtube vids from 'developing world' places about behringer gear... I wonder how much of their market share is there?

Red Electric Rainbow
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Red Electric Rainbow » Thu Nov 26, 2020 4:28 pm

isn’t the keystep already pretty cheap? and you can get them used for practically peanuts.
TOO FAR GONE

kons
Wiggling with Experience

Post by kons » Thu Nov 26, 2020 4:32 pm

So how many hours in the day, do people imagine, Uli works? It is a big company, he may have not had anything personally to do with 'swing'. Of course he bears responsibility for setting a tone in the company and for allowing it to continue. And for hiring people that would behave like that...
He may be a media whore... but does he really have the time to be conducting these supposed campaigns in detail?

kons
Wiggling with Experience

Post by kons » Thu Nov 26, 2020 4:40 pm

apropos Fromm??
A much better reference in relation to business ethics would be Milton Friedman, 'Businesses have no business being ethical' and I say that as a pretty hardline marxist materialist, because whenever a business talks about ethics they are lying!
Nike doesn't hire kæpernik for any ethical reason they do it for profit.

Orange
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Orange » Thu Nov 26, 2020 4:45 pm

kons wrote:
Thu Nov 26, 2020 4:32 pm
So how many hours in the day, do people imagine, Uli works? It is a big company, he may have not had anything personally to do with 'swing'. Of course he bears responsibility for setting a tone in the company and for allowing it to continue. And for hiring people that would behave like that...
He may be a media whore... but does he really have the time to be conducting these supposed campaigns in detail?
He had time enough to produce that cork sniffer thing :hihi:
Off course Uli knows what is going on.

kons
Wiggling with Experience

Post by kons » Thu Nov 26, 2020 5:13 pm

did 'he' produce the cork sniffer thing? did he make it himself? did he order underlings to do it? or did some underlings do it and he maybe at most cursorily nodded approval?

Orange
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Orange » Thu Nov 26, 2020 5:30 pm

kons wrote:
Thu Nov 26, 2020 5:13 pm
did 'he' produce the cork sniffer thing? did he make it himself? did he order underlings to do it? or did some underlings do it and he maybe at most cursorily nodded approval?
Hmm, does it matter?
Personally, I think he was watching the manufacturing process naked while smoking a cigar..

kons
Wiggling with Experience

Post by kons » Thu Nov 26, 2020 6:05 pm

[/quote]
Hmm, does it matter?
Personally, I think he was watching the manufacturing process naked while smoking a cigar..
[/quote]

I think it is illegal to smoke in the workplace anywhere in the world, including China, Phillipines and Malaysia... naked? maybe?

KSS
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by KSS » Thu Nov 26, 2020 8:45 pm

Red posted an octopus picture. Red Octopus. Classic '75 album by Starship. Most popular song from that album brings us back to this thread.

"If only you believe like I believe
We'd get by"

Of course, the song *is* titled "Miracles."
red wrote:
Thu Nov 26, 2020 2:52 pm
... I'm not really understand all of this!

daveholiday
Ultra Wiggler

Post by daveholiday » Thu Nov 26, 2020 8:48 pm

I enjoy cheese....sometimes naked.....well most of the time naked
It is all shits and giggles,

until somebody giggles and shits.

Blairio
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Blairio » Thu Nov 26, 2020 10:50 pm

kons wrote:
Thu Nov 26, 2020 5:13 pm
Not much point in having underlings, if you don't use them. It's like having a dog and still doing your own barking. Or having a cat, and still doing a dump in your neighbour's flower bed.

Or something like that.

KSS
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by KSS » Thu Nov 26, 2020 11:54 pm

daveholiday wrote:
Thu Nov 26, 2020 8:48 pm
I enjoy cheese....sometimes naked.....well most of the time naked
Wouldn't that be cheesecake?

Return to “General Gear”