Behringer: practices, ethics, morals and legitimacy.

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe., lisa

Kattefjaes
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Behringer: practices, ethics, morals and legitimacy.

Post by Kattefjaes » Sat Nov 28, 2020 10:45 am

3hands wrote:
Sat Nov 28, 2020 9:59 am
What? I’m trying to convince him that he can use a proper DAW (aka a big fat DAW) and still have fast loading times. How is this trolling?
It's not. At all. Nor was this. Fear not, you did nowt wrong ;)

SynthBaron
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by SynthBaron » Sat Nov 28, 2020 10:51 am

I ended up with a Dell M4800 laptop that came with a maxed out 32 gigs of RAM last year for cheap. I've never used near half of the capacity, but it's the least crash-prone computer I've ever owned. The extra memory must give it enough breathing room...

Kattefjaes
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Kattefjaes » Sat Nov 28, 2020 10:57 am

SynthBaron wrote:
Sat Nov 28, 2020 10:51 am
I ended up with a Dell M4800 laptop that came with a maxed out 32 gigs of RAM last year for cheap. I've never used near half of the capacity, but it's the least crash-prone computer I've ever owned. The extra memory must give it enough breathing room...
Shh, you want to jinx it?

22tape
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by 22tape » Sat Nov 28, 2020 12:01 pm

KSS wrote:
Sat Nov 28, 2020 4:32 am
22tape wrote:
Sat Nov 28, 2020 2:35 am
I don't know man. I've always been pretty broke. No poor me though. There's something satisfying about working hard, saving, and rewarding yourself with buying the real thing, if not for any other reason than the craftsmanship and longevity of a product that's done right.
KSS wrote:"As I've said from the start in nearly every B thread. He's *very* good at what he does. Whether you or I like it or not is immaterial to that point."
I think that depends on one's definition of "very good." Yes, he's very good at making money, and that's fine if some people use that as a measuring stick for life's successes. Personally, I'd rather be good at something else... like not being a media whore.
One's definition of "very good" has nothing to do with it. I didn't say he was 'good' *doing* what he does. I did not assign level of moral or ethical good or badness to his practices. That's up to anyone's personal assessment, and is most assuredly up for different outlooks, decisions, choices and conclusions.

I said he is good AT what he does. You can dislike what someone is doing and still see that they are *very* good AT the thing they do even when it is completely against your own beliefs and decisions. Uli is good at more than making money. That in no way says he is a good person. Or bad. That's a different thing. You -and I- may see the two together, or decide that they are inseparable.

But as I originally wrote, our belief on his morality or decency doesn't change his being good at what he does. If a musician is very good at playing an instrment I hate to hear, My hate of the instrument doesn't inform or change that musicians' skill with the instrument. Nor does their skill automatically overcome my feelings about its sound. Or how I may choose to feel about them for choosing to play it over something else.

edit multiple typos
Uli is very efficient at what he does.

3hands
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by 3hands » Sat Nov 28, 2020 2:52 pm

Kattefjaes wrote:
Sat Nov 28, 2020 10:45 am
3hands wrote:
Sat Nov 28, 2020 9:59 am
What? I’m trying to convince him that he can use a proper DAW (aka a big fat DAW) and still have fast loading times. How is this trolling?
It's not. At all. Nor was this. Fear not, you did nowt wrong ;)

Haha I’m usually a lot quicker than that!! Sorry!!
Gum is fun, but not on a cat.

My minds an art gallery.

chvad
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by chvad » Sat Nov 28, 2020 3:35 pm

3hands wrote:
Sat Nov 28, 2020 9:13 am
chvad wrote:
Fri Nov 27, 2020 6:38 pm
I have three work stations I'm using at a time so I'm definitely swapping to other stuff when things are launching and what have you. A lot of my work is live broadcast oriented so the deadlines range from every 15 minutes to every hour to every other hour and so on. Not just say.. a deadline for one specific project. So the moments when I'm sitting there watching the grass grow really stand out for me and depending on the day can cause a lot of needless frustrations. It has me appreciating the speed of some programs. Obviously they're all cool and usable. I'm constantly faced with freelance producers working on different platforms with different specs basically standing in line to finish of stuff before it hits the air. That's just work stuff. Creatively in other spaces I'd care less.

So wait... you do this full time, and you’re worried about how long it takes the DAW to fire up.

I have all of Cubase (all of it) on a solid state drive separate from the rest of the computers background stuff and all of Cubase boots up in 4.9 seconds (I just tested it).

Go SSD.
Time is money. Like I've said, for me and my experience small stuff like that adds up. If it doesn't affect you cool. The assumption that I'm doing something wrong or suffering on the gear end of things is just wrong. Everyone has different needs, wants and experiences.

I appreciate the recommendation though. All my systems have been SSD for a while and for certain it was a great speed boost in comparison to a platter :) I also have a similar boot time for Cubase.

3hands
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by 3hands » Sat Nov 28, 2020 3:52 pm

chvad wrote:
Sat Nov 28, 2020 3:35 pm
3hands wrote:
chvad wrote:
I have three work stations I'm using at a time so I'm definitely swapping to other stuff when things are launching and what have you. A lot of my work is live broadcast oriented so the deadlines range from every 15 minutes to every hour to every other hour and so on. Not just say.. a deadline for one specific project. So the moments when I'm sitting there watching the grass grow really stand out for me and depending on the day can cause a lot of needless frustrations. It has me appreciating the speed of some programs. Obviously they're all cool and usable. I'm constantly faced with freelance producers working on different platforms with different specs basically standing in line to finish of stuff before it hits the air. That's just work stuff. Creatively in other spaces I'd care less.

So wait... you do this full time, and you’re worried about how long it takes the DAW to fire up.

I have all of Cubase (all of it) on a solid state drive separate from the rest of the computers background stuff and all of Cubase boots up in 4.9 seconds (I just tested it).

Go SSD.
Time is money. Like I've said, for me and my experience small stuff like that adds up. If it doesn't affect you cool. The assumption that I'm doing something wrong or suffering on the gear end of things is just wrong. Everyone has different needs, wants and experiences.

I appreciate the recommendation though. All my systems have been SSD for a while and for certain it was a great speed boost in comparison to a platter :) I also have a similar boot time for Cubase.
Cool man! I seriously didn’t want to come off as an ass. Sometimes, the internet isn’t particularly good at being subtle!
Gum is fun, but not on a cat.

My minds an art gallery.

chvad
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by chvad » Sat Nov 28, 2020 4:26 pm

3hands wrote:
Sat Nov 28, 2020 3:52 pm
chvad wrote:
Sat Nov 28, 2020 3:35 pm
3hands wrote:
chvad wrote:

Go SSD.

Cool man! I seriously didn’t want to come off as an ass. Sometimes, the internet isn’t particularly good at being subtle!
Ain't that the truth! All good!

kons
Wiggling with Experience

Post by kons » Sat Nov 28, 2020 4:49 pm

awwww, look at you guys!!! I'm getting the warm and tingly feel-good fuzzies... in a behringer thread of all places....

KSS
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by KSS » Sat Nov 28, 2020 7:16 pm

22tape wrote:
Sat Nov 28, 2020 12:01 pm
Uli is very efficient at what he does.
Yes! Better word. Thank you. I'll use that word instead of "good" in -the inevitable- future posts on the topic. Not only efficient but also effective to catch the whole meaning of what I mant to say.

Uli is *very* good at what he does.
Uli is *very* efficient and effective at what he does. :tu:

strettara
mufferthucker

Post by strettara » Sat Nov 28, 2020 11:39 pm

So do we now have to abjure the use of the word good when discussing Papa Uli and his doings? Can I say that my cheap B interface is a good product? Or just an efficient one? Good value for money or cost-effective? Presumably he can’t be a good keyboardist but only an accomplished one?

Good doesn’t always mean saintly. That should be obvious to anyone who speaks English.

The fact is that if you look at Behringer’s biography, he obviously has a talent for business that most people can hardly imagine possessing. That doesn’t make him a saint, but it does mean he’s very bloody good at business.
“It must be abstract. It must change. It must give pleasure."

New album: OZ

Flounderguts
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Flounderguts » Sun Nov 29, 2020 12:33 am

I wonder what kind of prick managers he hires. Or maybe they're all wonderful people. I really don't know.

I think that the Behringer arm of Music Tribe is by far the *most entertaining* pro audio manufacturer. Look at all the drama! *Look!*

I watched a few videos of Uli Behringer interviews. He's less flamboyant, but he reminds me of Elon Musk.
----------------------

Flounderguts

KSS
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by KSS » Sun Nov 29, 2020 12:34 am

@strettara
I agree with you. My original wording was fine. But if the change in words can remove some potential for misunderstanding their meaning, it's ok too.

22tape
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by 22tape » Sun Nov 29, 2020 1:32 am

strettara wrote:
Sat Nov 28, 2020 11:39 pm
So do we now have to abjure the use of the word good when discussing Papa Uli and his doings?
Wha? That seems like preemptive outrage.

KSS and I were simply talking semantics about a word in a specific context. No one is saying-- listen poop fuck, if you don't use efficient instead of good you'll be cast out of society forever.

strettara
mufferthucker

Post by strettara » Sun Nov 29, 2020 3:40 am

No outrage. Outrage really isn’t my thing at all. I just thought the niggle to be completely specious.

dubonaire
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dubonaire » Sun Nov 29, 2020 4:30 am

LOL Prememtive outrage.

kons
Wiggling with Experience

Post by kons » Sun Nov 29, 2020 7:03 am

the word 'good' in teh Anglish language could really do with some disambiguation...

Kattefjaes
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Kattefjaes » Sun Nov 29, 2020 7:17 am

Flounderguts wrote:
Sun Nov 29, 2020 12:33 am
I watched a few videos of Uli Behringer interviews. He's less flamboyant, but he reminds me of Elon Musk.
I'd never thought of that, but you're right, he's like a more buttoned-up teutonic version of a techbro. Can't unsee it, thanks a bunch!

Red Electric Rainbow
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Red Electric Rainbow » Sun Nov 29, 2020 8:10 am

5B258DD5-C19C-49AB-9B06-8B4AD879EB0A.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
TOO FAR GONE

22tape
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by 22tape » Sun Nov 29, 2020 12:32 pm

strettara wrote:
Sun Nov 29, 2020 3:40 am
I just thought the niggle to be completely specious.
Good is an opinion. Efficiency is provable. This is not ground breaking research we've done here.

Did the conversation probably sound pretentious? Yes. But most discussions about semantics usually do, which is why I normally don't partake.

:)

strettara
mufferthucker

Post by strettara » Sun Nov 29, 2020 12:47 pm

Good is just normal English. If you say someone’s a good pianist, no-one is going to wrinkle their brow and wonder whether you mean he’s good at playing the piano or a good person who plays the piano. Similarly with being a good businessman. You’re straining at gnats. It’s a pointless distinction.

22tape
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by 22tape » Sun Nov 29, 2020 12:52 pm

strettara wrote:
Sun Nov 29, 2020 12:47 pm
Good is just normal English. If you say someone’s a good pianist, no-one is going to wrinkle their brow and wonder whether you mean he’s good at playing the piano or a good person who plays the piano. Similarly with being a good businessman. You’re straining at gnats. It’s a pointless distinction.
:slapfight:

strettara
mufferthucker

Post by strettara » Sun Nov 29, 2020 1:00 pm

22tape wrote:
Sun Nov 29, 2020 12:52 pm
strettara wrote:
No fight, mateypips. But I see this kind of vapid logic chopping masquerading as thinking all the time and I will admit it irritates me a little bit, because I value good thinking. No problem though.

22tape
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by 22tape » Sun Nov 29, 2020 1:10 pm

strettara wrote:
Sun Nov 29, 2020 1:00 pm
22tape wrote:
Sun Nov 29, 2020 12:52 pm
strettara wrote:
No fight, mateypips. But I see this kind of vapid logic chopping masquerading as thinking all the time and I will admit it irritates me a little bit, because I value good thinking. No problem though.
You're way too sensitive about other people's opinions. No problems though, mateypippytupperware.

strettara
mufferthucker

Post by strettara » Sun Nov 29, 2020 1:15 pm

Well your last two contributions have definitely been good arguments :tu:

I’ll leave the last shot to you.

Return to “General Gear”