Behringer 2600

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe., lisa

SynthBaron
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Behringer 2600

Post by SynthBaron » Fri Oct 30, 2020 1:19 pm

The arrangement isn't like Wendy's at all. A big difference is that she uses progressively more white noise modulated oscillators and filtered noise as the piece goes on, and there's none of that at all here. It would be a joke to try and sue someone over that. And as far as using the "Walter" picture, that is one of the few photos of her that she doesn't own the copyright to (or at least doesn't try and enforce). Her lawyer is known for DMCA'ing people for using the "good" Wendy pictures, so she has only herself to blame for people seeking legal substitutes.

Voltcontrol
Ravey Dave

Post by Voltcontrol » Fri Oct 30, 2020 1:34 pm

To be frank I just want more sound demo’s and find it both mildly amusing and worrisome to which extent we’re able to discuss the scant amount of material on the B2600.
Gaun Yersel!

galanter2
Wiggling with Experience

Post by galanter2 » Fri Oct 30, 2020 4:42 pm

First, a Wendy Carlos fan back from when Switched on Bach was a new release...

But I don’t see a basis for a lawsuit over the B2600 Switched On Bach. The composition is public domain. And timbres are not protected.

mritenburg
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mritenburg » Sat Oct 31, 2020 11:53 am

Voltcontrol wrote:
Fri Oct 30, 2020 1:34 pm
To be frank I just want more sound demo’s and find it both mildly amusing and worrisome to which extent we’re able to discuss the scant amount of material on the B2600.
Worry not, we will be drowning in demos soon enough.

Red Electric Rainbow
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Red Electric Rainbow » Sat Oct 31, 2020 12:11 pm

Switched on Bach stinks anyway. Not even trying to troll, it just isn’t good.
TOO FAR GONE

Kattefjaes
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Kattefjaes » Sat Oct 31, 2020 12:13 pm

Red Electric Rainbow wrote:
Sat Oct 31, 2020 12:11 pm
Have we not reached the point of calling the above "Switched-on BARP", yet?

Red Electric Rainbow
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Red Electric Rainbow » Sat Oct 31, 2020 12:41 pm

Kattefjaes wrote:
Sat Oct 31, 2020 12:13 pm
Red Electric Rainbow wrote:
Sat Oct 31, 2020 12:11 pm
Have we not reached the point of calling the above "Switched-on BARP", yet?
i’m not even sure i understand what you mean
TOO FAR GONE

Voltcontrol
Ravey Dave

Post by Voltcontrol » Sat Oct 31, 2020 1:45 pm

mritenburg wrote:
Sat Oct 31, 2020 11:53 am
Voltcontrol wrote:
Fri Oct 30, 2020 1:34 pm
Worry not, we will be drowning in demos soon enough.
Drinking from the firehose most likely indeed.
Gaun Yersel!

lisa
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by lisa » Sat Oct 31, 2020 2:04 pm

I might find the concept s bit dull but the price is so low that I ordered one anyway. We'll see what I can make it do. :omg:
You go too high too early, man. The beat sounds like the a slow mudslide and the melodies that go on and on. :zen:

Red Electric Rainbow
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Red Electric Rainbow » Sat Oct 31, 2020 2:17 pm

lisa wrote:
Sat Oct 31, 2020 2:04 pm
I might find the concept s bit dull but the price is so low that I ordered one anyway. We'll see what I can make it do. :omg:
i think you’re gonna really like it. good luck :tu:
TOO FAR GONE

KSS
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by KSS » Sat Oct 31, 2020 3:08 pm

lisa wrote:
Sat Oct 31, 2020 2:04 pm
It will be interesting to see how you feel about it. It should be a fun synth.

Only I hope you still get a chance to play an old ARP2600 too.

Back in the day I owned both a Jeep CJ-5 and Suzuki Samauri-Jimni. Both were 4WD. Both were fun. But I'd never conflate the two. They're different.
Like the B synths, the Suzuki got a lot of bad press. Much of it was BS.

Red Electric Rainbow
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Red Electric Rainbow » Sat Oct 31, 2020 3:16 pm

KSS wrote:
Sat Oct 31, 2020 3:08 pm
The Samurais are bad ass. Someone in my neighborhood has one and they keep it in great shape.
TOO FAR GONE

Blairio
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Blairio » Sat Oct 31, 2020 8:44 pm

KSS wrote:
Back in the day I owned both a Jeep CJ-5 and Suzuki Samauri-Jimni. Both were 4WD. Both were fun. But I'd never conflate the two. They're different.
The Jimny and Jeep are more similar than different, which perhaps is the point with the Arp and the Barp too.

Maybe Behringer should change their name to 'Ringer':
'a racehorse, athlete, or the like entered in a competition under false representation as to identity or ability'

doombient.music
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by doombient.music » Sun Nov 01, 2020 4:52 am

Blairio wrote:
Sat Oct 31, 2020 8:44 pm
[...] Maybe Behringer should change their name to 'Ringer' [...]
Like in dead ringer?

Stephen

KSS
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by KSS » Sun Nov 01, 2020 10:52 am

Blairio wrote:
KSS wrote:
The Jimny and Jeep are more similar than different, which perhaps is the point with the Arp and the Barp too.
Like most *all* similar things. In *any* category. But you can't discount personal perspective.
If you look for similarities, you will find them. If you look for differences, you will find them.

The bigger truth is which matters more to YOU. And since no one but the "you" who *is* each of us makes that decision, we will continue to endlessly and arbitrarily have conflicting discussions and results in those discussions. Because we all -mostly- find what we expect to find.
Yes, that was an intended part of my Meh.Ringer post above.
Which is not meant to imply either good or bad. Meh. It simply is what it is. Meh.Ringer. They do make 'ringers'. Uli isn't embarrassed by that and it goes back to the first part of this reply and one just above. Are we talking "dead ringer" or the negative version of "ringer"? Clearly the answer in nearly every thread is both.

And now that's out of the way, let's get back to discerning the salient differences and similarlties. Which does go beyond the product-s themselves for many people. Likely just as many simply don't care about that part of the discussion.

It's not waffling -or unfair- to admit that the Behringer 2600 will have some good qualities and also have some bad qualities. Like the Samurai and Jeep it wil be both alike and different from the synth it is modeled after. In both good and bad ways.

From there it's a personal decision.

For my part, I try to take as objective an approach as I can. Compare and contrast, without assigning undue weight in either direction.
Though personal experience with -in this case- the OG 2600's subject me to biases both real and otherwise.

Blairio
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Blairio » Sun Nov 01, 2020 12:05 pm

KSS wrote:
Sun Nov 01, 2020 10:52 am
Blairio wrote:
KSS wrote:
Like most *all* similar things. In *any* category. But you can't discount personal perspective.
If you look for similarities, you will find them. If you look for differences, you will find them.

The bigger truth is which matters more to YOU. And since no one but the "you" who *is* each of us makes that decision, we will continue to endlessly and arbitrarily have conflicting discussions and results in those discussions. Because we all -mostly- find what we expect to find.
Yes, that was an intended part of my Meh.Ringer post above.
Which is not meant to imply either good or bad. Meh. It simply is what it is. Meh.Ringer. They do make 'ringers'. Uli isn't embarrassed by that and it goes back to the first part of this reply and one just above. Are we talking "dead ringer" or the negative version of "ringer"? Clearly the answer in nearly every thread is both.

And now that's out of the way, let's get back to discerning the salient differences and similarlties. Which does go beyond the product-s themselves for many people. Likely just as many simply don't care about that part of the discussion.

It's not waffling -or unfair- to admit that the Behringer 2600 will have some good qualities and also have some bad qualities. Like the Samurai and Jeep it wil be both alike and different from the synth it is modeled after. In both good and bad ways.

From there it's a personal decision.

For my part, I try to take as objective an approach as I can. Compare and contrast, without assigning undue weight in either direction.
Though personal experience with -in this case- the OG 2600's subject me to biases both real and otherwise.
I think there are absolutes. One 4 wheel drive vehicle with off-road aspirations shares much in common with another 4 wheel drive vehicle with off-road aspirations. The difference is in attributes and degree, rather than in core values.

I don't own any expensive iconic synths because I learned some time ago that they didn't help me make better music. What they could and did do was put a gloss on a poor idea - a like putting lipstick on a pig. So the ones I had went. This probably informs my view that as long as the Barp 2600 prompts some folk to produce some interesting art, it matters less to what extent it replicates the progenitor 2600.

As in most things, I will leave the final word to Simon and Garfunkel, from the 'The Boxer' (1968):

"Still a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest."

KSS
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by KSS » Sun Nov 01, 2020 12:56 pm

Blairio wrote:
Sun Nov 01, 2020 12:05 pm
I think there are absolutes. One 4 wheel drive vehicle with off-road aspirations shares much in common with another 4 wheel drive vehicle with off-road aspirations. The difference is in attributes and degree, rather than in core values.
I agree. But will add that a Hummer and either of the two prior are enough different in attribute and degree to become a whole different thing. Just saying 4Wd -or monosynth- is not enough. At some point those differences overshadow the singularity suggested by "4WD".Or "monosynth". Usually discovered on the trail -or in the performance venue. The environment -for both synth and 4WD- shows up the differences more than the similarities. Actually it reveals both. But the differences are usually expressed in failure, so they get noticed and remembered more than the successful similarities.
This probably informs my view that as long as the Barp 2600 prompts some folk to produce some interesting art, it matters less to what extent it replicates the progenitor 2600.
Sure. It reflects your opinion, and that's valid for you. And I agree with you.

But that's not -at all- the same as saying that differences between them do or don't matter.
As in most things, I will leave the final word to Simon and Garfunkel, from the 'The Boxer' (1968):
"Still a man hears what he wants to hear And disregards the rest."
Love it. Or this a year later: "People hearing without listening"

3hands
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by 3hands » Sun Nov 01, 2020 1:06 pm

Everyone these days is hearing without listening. Also talking without saying a bloody thing.
Gum is fun, but not on a cat.

My minds an art gallery.

Flounderguts
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Flounderguts » Sun Nov 01, 2020 10:36 pm

Everyone waiting their turn to have their say, even if someone said it before...and in the hurry to be heard, not listening at all.

I'm looking forward to hearing what is said about the Barp after some Arp users have had a chance to use it, and not just compare it.
At some point you have to admit that a 2020 Dodge Charger R/T is nothing like the 1970 Charger R/T, and enjoy and respect each for their own merits. No use in whining about the differences.
----------------------

Flounderguts

Blairio
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Blairio » Sun Nov 01, 2020 10:44 pm

Flounderguts wrote:
Sun Nov 01, 2020 10:36 pm
Everyone waiting their turn to have their say, even if someone said it before...and in the hurry to be heard, not listening at all.
I think there is an old Turkish proverb that goes something like: "Talking is silver, but listening is gold"

An an employee of a telecoms company I heartily endorse both behaviours, ideally on our network.

Voltcontrol
Ravey Dave

Post by Voltcontrol » Mon Nov 02, 2020 2:56 am

Blairio wrote:
Sun Nov 01, 2020 10:44 pm
Flounderguts wrote:
I think there is an old Turkish proverb that goes something like: "Talking is silver, but listening is gold"

An an employee of a telecoms company I heartily endorse both behaviours, ideally on our network.
It's a classic proverb that exists in many languages. "Spreken is zilver, zwijgen is goud" in Dutch, slightly different though as it states speaking in silver, silence is gold.
Gaun Yersel!

dgl
Common Wiggler

Post by dgl » Tue Nov 03, 2020 7:51 am

QSG for the 2600 has low been uploaded, and contains something quite interesting in the reverb section.
NOTE: 2600 uses a digital reverb, while BLUE MARVIN features a real, on-board spring reverb
https://mediadl.musictribe.com/media/PL ... QSG_EN.pdf

Looks like there will be another version of the 2600 with a real spring!, I would guess it has the blue Marvin paint job too.
Stuff: Roland:SH-201/U-110/S-330/TR-626/M-48 Akai: miniAK/S6000 Yamaha:DX9/HS8/xs7 Korg:05R/W/AX10G Alesis: Vortex MK1 CME: UF70 classic V2/WIDI Behringer: DSP2024Px2/UMC204HD/MS-101/VC340/D/TD-3/RD-8/RD-6/XR12 MOTU: MIDI Timepiece AV ESI:1010e and a load of primarily handmade cables.

mritenburg
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mritenburg » Tue Nov 03, 2020 10:01 am

dgl wrote:
Tue Nov 03, 2020 7:51 am
QSG for the 2600 has low been uploaded, and contains something quite interesting in the reverb section.
NOTE: 2600 uses a digital reverb, while BLUE MARVIN features a real, on-board spring reverb

Looks like there will be another version of the 2600 with a real spring!, I would guess it has the blue Marvin paint job too.
Are you sure that is what is intended by that sentence? Is it possible Behringer acquired a Blue Marvin for reference while designing the B2600?

Rost + Licht
Common Wiggler

Post by Rost + Licht » Tue Nov 03, 2020 10:30 am

Voltcontrol wrote:
Mon Nov 02, 2020 2:56 am
Blairio wrote:
Sun Nov 01, 2020 10:44 pm
Flounderguts wrote:

It's a classic proverb that exists in many languages. "Spreken is zilver, zwijgen is goud" in Dutch, slightly different though as it states speaking in silver, silence is gold.
Yeah I know it in my mother language: "Reden ist Silber, schweigen ist Gold." Looking it up it seems that the origin is unknown but already circulated in the 16th century and seems to be quoted from the antique, probably Greek context

dgl
Common Wiggler

Post by dgl » Tue Nov 03, 2020 10:52 am

mritenburg wrote:
Tue Nov 03, 2020 10:01 am
dgl wrote:
Tue Nov 03, 2020 7:51 am

Are you sure that is what is intended by that sentence? Is it possible Behringer acquired a Blue Marvin for reference while designing the B2600?
Possibly but they have trademarked or are in the process of trademarking the term Blue Marvin, https://www.tmdn.org/tmview/welcome#/tm ... 0018120527
Stuff: Roland:SH-201/U-110/S-330/TR-626/M-48 Akai: miniAK/S6000 Yamaha:DX9/HS8/xs7 Korg:05R/W/AX10G Alesis: Vortex MK1 CME: UF70 classic V2/WIDI Behringer: DSP2024Px2/UMC204HD/MS-101/VC340/D/TD-3/RD-8/RD-6/XR12 MOTU: MIDI Timepiece AV ESI:1010e and a load of primarily handmade cables.

Return to “General Gear”