Touch controller?

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: lisa, Kent, Joe.

naos
Common Wiggler

Touch controller?

Post by naos » Sun Jan 19, 2020 3:56 pm

I'm looking for something in the desktop format as cool and expressive as the Hyve Touch Synth but not limited to an inside oscillator, that would send cv/gate or even midi instead. Does that even exist?
Last edited by naos on Wed Jan 22, 2020 8:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Voltcontrol
Common Wiggler

Re: Touch controller?

Post by Voltcontrol » Sun Jan 19, 2020 4:07 pm

Several. An affordable option would be using the pressure pads of the Arturia Microfreak to play external stuff.

naos
Common Wiggler

Post by naos » Sun Jan 19, 2020 4:17 pm

Voltcontrol wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 4:07 pm
Arturia Microfreak
I hate that synth but I like its bottom half. Where's your affordable freakstep when you need one?

Bitnik
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Bitnik » Sun Jan 19, 2020 6:50 pm

naos wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 3:56 pm
I'm looking for something in the desktop format as cool and expressive as the Hyve Touch Synth, not limited to the inside oscillator, that would send cv/gate or even midi instead. Does that even exist?
I've just ordered a "Softpot" membrane potentiometer, which I'll be playing around with. It's 100 Ohms to 10 KOhms, depending on where you place the pressure. The version I bought is 50cm long, but you can also buy them in 20cm or even 10cm lengths.

Some Assembly Required, of course. I think you could just attach a 9v battery across it, and send the ground terminal and the wiper output to a voltage input on the synth. Or you could build a midi version using an Arduino. There are lots of designs out there.

https://coolcomponents.co.uk/products/s ... eter-500mm

Schrank
Common Wiggler

Post by Schrank » Tue Jan 21, 2020 6:13 am

Bitnik wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 6:50 pm
naos wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 3:56 pm
I'm looking for something in the desktop format as cool and expressive as the Hyve Touch Synth, not limited to the inside oscillator, that would send cv/gate or even midi instead. Does that even exist?
I've just ordered a "Softpot" membrane potentiometer, which I'll be playing around with. It's 100 Ohms to 10 KOhms, depending on where you place the pressure. The version I bought is 50cm long, but you can also buy them in 20cm or even 10cm lengths.

Some Assembly Required, of course. I think you could just attach a 9v battery across it, and send the ground terminal and the wiper output to a voltage input on the synth. Or you could build a midi version using an Arduino. There are lots of designs out there.

https://coolcomponents.co.uk/products/s ... eter-500mm
Is this what those ribbon controllers use?
Last edited by Schrank on Tue Jan 21, 2020 6:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

n3wt15
Wiggling with Experience

Post by n3wt15 » Tue Jan 21, 2020 6:30 am

I've used a rene, pressure points, tkb, and my favorite is the archangel, I know there are more then that too.
Itching to try a 222e but I'll never go buchla so.....

Haken continuum is the ultimate in versatility, but also the most costly

autopoiesis
Ultra Wiggler

Post by autopoiesis » Tue Jan 21, 2020 10:12 am

although it's kinda small, the squarp pyramid's X/Y pad is pretty nice for cv and midi. you can set up each track so that for one, it's working like a touchplate keyboard, on another track it's controlling sequencer "fx" (eg ratcheting, transposition), and on another track it's sending CV or MIDI CCs. and the x/y gestures can be recorded and played back polymetrically in relation to other sequencer events.

I really like using it with the expert sleepers fh2, which has midi CC controllable slew limiters on its outputs.

that all said, I'm eager to get a tetrapad and Tete and think this is one of the best options for gestural CV control given the price range of other options. those two in a skiff with Planar2 would be a lot of fun.

eclectics
Wiggling with Experience

Post by eclectics » Thu Feb 06, 2020 8:40 pm

Sensel Morph; has different templates but you can design your own interface and send midi. Nice touch sensitivity. Cool buchla thunder style template if you want.

Phil999
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Phil999 » Fri Feb 07, 2020 2:51 pm

the Morph is probably the most affordable and versatile touch controller available. I got one and it is very good. Tip: don't buy the QWERTY layout, it is not good. Just the normal keyboard layout and possibly the Thunder layout.

ersatzplanet
Synthwerks Design

Post by ersatzplanet » Sat Feb 08, 2020 1:20 pm

MINI-Skiff.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-James

James Husted - Synthwerks, LLC - www.synthwerks.com - info@synthwerks.com - james@synthwerks.com
Synthwerks is a proud member of the Mostly Modular Trade Association (http://www.mostlymodular.com).
Always looking to trade for Doepfer P6 cases

Return to “General Gear”