best way to expand i/o on audio interface?

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: lisa, Kent, Joe.

htor
Learning to Wiggle

best way to expand i/o on audio interface?

Post by htor » Fri Jan 24, 2020 3:48 am

hi muff!

i've run out of inputs on my audio interface - a Steinberg UR824.
it has 8 line inputs/outputs and i'm pretty happy with it.
it also has 2 ADAT i/o pairs for pairing the device with another interface.

i'm thinking: would it be best to just buy another UR824 and connect it with ADAT?
or buy a new interface with double amount of i/o?
or if i buy another interface (possibly other brand) and connect them together using ADAT could it cause troubles, than if i have two UR824 devices (assuming same sample rate)?

i'm a bit new to ADAT, but if i understand correctly, connecting two devices with ADAT will combine their i/o and to the computer it will look like one logical device with more i/o, right? just a cable and it's plug and play?

thomachine
Common Wiggler

Re: best way to expand i/o on audio interface?

Post by thomachine » Fri Jan 24, 2020 4:15 am

htor wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 3:48 am
hi muff!

i've run out of inputs on my audio interface - a Steinberg UR824.
it has 8 line inputs/outputs and i'm pretty happy with it.
it also has 2 ADAT i/o pairs for pairing the device with another interface.

i'm thinking: would it be best to just buy another UR824 and connect it with ADAT?
or buy a new interface with double amount of i/o?
or if i buy another interface (possibly other brand) and connect them together using ADAT could it cause troubles, than if i have two UR824 devices (assuming same sample rate)?

i'm a bit new to ADAT, but if i understand correctly, connecting two devices with ADAT will combine their i/o and to the computer it will look like one logical device with more i/o, right? just a cable and it's plug and play?
Yeah, you could get another UR824 and connect via ADAT. Not shure how the software works on that interface, but most likely you already can see the Adat inputs and outputs in your daw. If the interface has an internal mixer, it can require a bit of setup. I dont have any experience with that interface. But i run a Fireface 800 with a Fireface 400 and Behringer ADA8200 as adat expansion. The ADA worked perfectly straight away as it is only an adat interface. But Fireface 400 needed to be set up so the internal mixer routed everything correctly before i could use it as an expansion.

nectarios
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by nectarios » Fri Jan 24, 2020 4:41 am

If you are on a Mac (no idea if this is possible with Windows machine as well), you can set up an aggregate audio device which includes any audio interface you add, to your existing one.

mat1
Learning to Wiggle

Post by mat1 » Sun Jan 26, 2020 8:15 pm

htor wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 3:48 am
hi muff!

Just get a behringer ada8200. No need for a whole extra interface if you just want more inputs.

seta666
Common Wiggler

Post by seta666 » Mon Jan 27, 2020 2:52 am

Plus one on the ada8200, you will get 8in/8out extra per ada8200

htor
Learning to Wiggle

Post by htor » Wed Feb 05, 2020 3:21 pm

thanks for the ADAT tips!

the ada8200 looks like something i want, really.
only quirk is, it has XLR connectors for outputs and i'd really like of they were JACK connectors. going to be using the interface mostly for connecting effect pedals and synths for instance (all JACK gear). i guess i can buy a bunch of xlr->jack cables to make that problem go away? but it makes changing patches harder.
nectarios wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 4:41 am
If you are on a Mac (no idea if this is possible with Windows machine as well), you can set up an aggregate audio device which includes any audio interface you add, to your existing one.
yes, on a mac.
i thought about it, and realized i have the zoom h6 (with 4 extra channels), so i'm going to set this up in aggregate with my interface until make up my mind about the ADAT situation + future GAS-i-fications. i want another synth. with nice sounds. with the h6 i'll have room for it for now..

some like to just buy an analogue mixer to mix down multiple channels into two channels, so they reduce the amount of needed i/o on the interface. it's another world which i like too (maybe for some jamming/live situations) but i'd like to just have everything go straight into my computer on separate tracks since i don't have lots of outboard effects (yet).

Return to “General Gear”