New gear from Moog, what would you like to see happen.?

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: lisa, Kent, Joe.

numan7
the most autistic amongst us

New gear from Moog, what would you like to see happen.?

Post by numan7 » Sun Jan 26, 2020 10:58 am

:hmm: ...

- eurorack modules targeting the berhinger system 55 as "genuine moog" upgrades or add-ons (e.g. 904C, 1630).

- a cheaper version of 'one'.

your thoughts?

cheers
"i'd rather be more like the o-o-o-cean. no talking, man, all action..." --jane's addiction

RickKleffel
Wiggling with Experience

Re: New gear from Moog, what would you like to see happen.?

Post by RickKleffel » Sun Jan 26, 2020 11:13 am

Sub Harmonicon. It seemed to offer a very different sort-of "sideways" approach to crafting electronic music, original. Seemed like they could pop 'em out in the $500 range, they'd sell like hotcakes and be fun pieces to use with say, Lyra. I saw one for sale on Reverb for $3K. Sure, scarcity makes the heart grow fondler, and confers a sense of sorry necessity upon naked greed. That price is beyond the grasp of even my obsessive behavior. It's really the only piece of Moog gear of late that caught my eye.

ylknh3chovosldk4ma5l.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

deltaphoenix
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by deltaphoenix » Sun Jan 26, 2020 11:16 am

A badass drum machine.

Christopher Winkels
Lord of Tweed Manor
Location: Burlington, Ontario, Canada, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way, Virgo Supercluster

Post by Christopher Winkels » Sun Jan 26, 2020 11:24 am

I'm probably going to catch a lot of stick for this because it veers sharply into cork-sniffing territory, but so be it.

I want Moog to make gear that sounds "correct" to me. What do I mean by that? Moog gear I've owned or played from the '70s and '80s (Minimoog, Source, Prodigy) had a certain lushness and sweetness to it that is noticeably absent from synths released in the current century. This is particularly true in the top end when playing higher notes. The newer ones I've played (Little Phatty, Sub Phatty, Voyager OS, Mother-32, Grandmother) lack the same kind of openness and richness across the full audio spectrum that older designs had. The reissue Model D mostly avoided this problem, thankfully.

I'm not technically qualified to say why this is or what is the source of the discrepancy. It's almost as if the newer designs are producing a different type of distortion in the circuitry, one that's less pleasant to my ears. The joke I made to a friend of mine is that their current crop of instruments sounds like it was designed by someone who drew up a nearly perfect theoretical circuit without actually listening to it before going into production.

Moogish designs like AJH manage to nail the correct tone (and how!), so it isn't a thru-hole vs. SMT debate.

Obviously I'm in the minority because a lot of people love the stable of synths Moog is producing. They just sound like an approximation of analogue to me.

seta666
Common Wiggler

Post by seta666 » Sun Jan 26, 2020 11:30 am

A DFAM with a proper sequencer.... Korg SQ1 like would be more than enough, with step jump and reset when you stop playing

Synth Con Meo
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Synth Con Meo » Sun Jan 26, 2020 11:46 am

RickKleffel wrote:
Sun Jan 26, 2020 11:13 am
Sub Harmonicon. It seemed to offer a very different sort-of "sideways" approach to crafting electronic music, original.
Yeah this is the one I've wanted them to release. It would go great with my (3) Mother-32's and DFAM setup.
Synth Con Meo
<RIP> Kibou, I miss you.

sallowworm
Learning to Wiggle

Post by sallowworm » Sun Jan 26, 2020 12:20 pm

Interesting point about newer Moog gear not quite hitting the highs of older products. Saying that, I had a blast patching up the grandmother this afternoon, it's still a joy to play. I would definitely agree that they missed a trick not releasing the Subharmonicon, the gap in the rack is there for it after all and it was highly anticipated. AJH did wonders with their mod system, hope to put a row in at some point

mome rath
a dubious cube of margarine

Post by mome rath » Sun Jan 26, 2020 12:39 pm

smart phone
soundcloud, dear friends
good trader cred
instagraM
guest wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 2:45 pm
basically, as the dude put it "no walter, youre not wrong, youre just an asshole".
zoogoo wrote: your stupid

Voltcontrol
Common Wiggler

Post by Voltcontrol » Sun Jan 26, 2020 1:08 pm

deltaphoenix wrote:
Sun Jan 26, 2020 11:16 am
A badass drum machine.
RickKleffel wrote:
Sub Harmonicon. It seemed to offer a very different sort-of "sideways" approach to crafting electronic music, original. Seemed like they could pop 'em out in the $500 range, they'd sell like hotcakes

Yes to both ideas.

latigid on
Ultra Wiggler

Post by latigid on » Sun Jan 26, 2020 1:28 pm

Re: old versus new Moog, could be down to gain staging and subtle distortion through each section? Tighter component tolerances/temperature coefficients should give a "purer" sound but not necessarily something more musical. The System 55 I played at Superbooth gave me the same impression as Mr. Winkels with respect to the tone of old circuits.

cscairney
Wiggling with Experience

Post by cscairney » Sun Jan 26, 2020 3:31 pm

Christopher Winkels wrote:
Sun Jan 26, 2020 11:24 am
I'm probably going to catch a lot of stick for this because it veers sharply into cork-sniffing territory, but so be it.

I want Moog to make gear that sounds "correct" to me. What do I mean by that? Moog gear I've owned or played from the '70s and '80s (Minimoog, Source, Prodigy) had a certain lushness and sweetness to it that is noticeably absent from synths released in the current century. This is particularly true in the top end when playing higher notes. The newer ones I've played (Little Phatty, Sub Phatty, Voyager OS, Mother-32, Grandmother) lack the same kind of openness and richness across the full audio spectrum that older designs had. The reissue Model D mostly avoided this problem, thankfully.

I'm not technically qualified to say why this is or what is the source of the discrepancy. It's almost as if the newer designs are producing a different type of distortion in the circuitry, one that's less pleasant to my ears. The joke I made to a friend of mine is that their current crop of instruments sounds like it was designed by someone who drew up a nearly perfect theoretical circuit without actually listening to it before going into production.

Moogish designs like AJH manage to nail the correct tone (and how!), so it isn't a thru-hole vs. SMT debate.

Obviously I'm in the minority because a lot of people love the stable of synths Moog is producing. They just sound like an approximation of analogue to me.

3hands
Veteran Wiggler

Post by 3hands » Sun Jan 26, 2020 3:34 pm

Something that doesn’t have a ladder filter?
Gum is fun, but not on a cat.

My minds an art gallery.

Man-In-A-Suitcase
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Man-In-A-Suitcase » Sun Jan 26, 2020 3:38 pm

cscairney wrote:
Sun Jan 26, 2020 3:31 pm
Is that Emil Schult as your avatar ?

estin
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by estin » Sun Jan 26, 2020 3:52 pm

I agree with Winkles, get back to the old sound with a focus on saturation and not distortion. I'd also love to see something with a multimode filter. Get the oscillators and mixer sounding right, then for the love of god allow the filter to open all the way for that glorious fizz to pour out.

cscairney
Wiggling with Experience

Post by cscairney » Sun Jan 26, 2020 3:57 pm

Man-In-A-Suitcase wrote:
Sun Jan 26, 2020 3:38 pm
cscairney wrote:
Sun Jan 26, 2020 3:31 pm
Is that Emil Schult as your avatar ?
Yes sir! From a Kraftwerk album, autobahn I believe...

Tofumaster
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Tofumaster » Sun Jan 26, 2020 4:37 pm

I'd like to see Moog port their modular system into Eurorack format. It seems to me that Moog is missing a huge opportunity having the Mother 32 and the DFAM but not having any other modules when people start looking to expand. It seems sort of negligent from a business and cultural perspective not to have done this. You might say Moog appears out of touch. I don't how that could be the case considering Make Noise was a defection, unless there is some kind of arrangement, financial or otherwise.

electricanada
Ultra Wiggler

Post by electricanada » Sun Jan 26, 2020 5:24 pm

RickKleffel wrote:
Sub Harmonicon. It seemed to offer a very different sort-of "sideways" approach to crafting electronic music, original. Seemed like they could pop 'em out in the $500 range, they'd sell like hotcakes and be fun pieces to use with say, Lyra. I saw one for sale on Reverb for $3K. Sure, scarcity makes the heart grow fondler, and confers a sense of sorry necessity upon naked greed. That price is beyond the grasp of even my obsessive behavior. It's really the only piece of Moog gear of late that caught my eye.

ylknh3chovosldk4ma5l.jpg
Agree. Does the world need another subtractive keyboard with a “phat” sound? I sure don’t. Sub harmonicon is far more interesting.
Eléctrica (electric) Nāda (the yoga of sound).

electricanada
Ultra Wiggler

Post by electricanada » Sun Jan 26, 2020 5:26 pm

deltaphoenix wrote:
A badass drum machine.
As opposed to dfam?
Eléctrica (electric) Nāda (the yoga of sound).

deltaphoenix
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by deltaphoenix » Sun Jan 26, 2020 5:38 pm

electricanada wrote:
Sun Jan 26, 2020 5:26 pm
deltaphoenix wrote:
A badass drum machine.
As opposed to dfam?
Yes. I am meaning for Moog to expand a bit and take a risk.
I started a thread that lists the elements that I thought would make a beast of a drum machine/groove box.
viewtopic.php?t=147118

winn3r
Learning to Wiggle

Post by winn3r » Sun Jan 26, 2020 5:45 pm

Where do the Sub/Subsequent 37 sit for you?

sduck
experimental use of gravity

Post by sduck » Sun Jan 26, 2020 5:46 pm

I'd love to see a single layer version of the One - I.E. something that is simpler, cheaper, but still similar to a memorymoog style thing. I love the sound of the current version, but can't quite get around to justifying paying 8K for it.

And as others have mentioned, porting versions of their original modular lineup into euro - whether it be clones of their original stuff, or that and augmented with some modern stuff, would be killer. I actually did an email exchange with Amos about this years ago, and he sounded very positive about the idea, and said something was in the works along those lines. However, I think it turned into the mother 32, which is a very different thing.
flickr cloud of sound touyube NOT A MODERATOR ANYMORE

Christopher Winkels
Lord of Tweed Manor
Location: Burlington, Ontario, Canada, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way, Virgo Supercluster

Post by Christopher Winkels » Sun Jan 26, 2020 6:37 pm

winn3r wrote:
Sun Jan 26, 2020 5:45 pm
Where do the Sub/Subsequent 37 sit for you?
I confess I have no playing time on the Subsequent series.

estin
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by estin » Sun Jan 26, 2020 6:52 pm

^ watch the Starsky Carr videos comparing all the new Sub models to the Voyager. The Voyager always comes off as "bright" when the voyager is not a bright synth at all. Moral of the story for me is all the new Sub models are too dark and too distorted. I also feel modern Moog has too much low end emphasis.

KSS
Ultra Wiggler

Post by KSS » Sun Jan 26, 2020 7:22 pm

1) Voyager style touchpad module (eurorack and 5U)
2) CV/G interface for animoog device -more powerful than 1) but in the same vein of controller
3) re-issue ribbon controller and drum controller
4) Sell 5U re-issue modules separately, and include the Bode ring mod and Freq Shifter
5) I like sducks simpleONE thoughts

booger
Ultra Wiggler

Post by booger » Sun Jan 26, 2020 7:52 pm

Keep going in the Mother lineup. I’d like to see a Mother-series unit that adds to the functionality of the 32 and DFAM. It would need function generators and/or LFOs, clock dividers/multipliers, comparators, multiples, attenuvertors, and the reverb and/or delay from the Grandmother/Matriarch. Basically, I would like to see a Soup Kitchen panel for the Mother series.

Return to “General Gear”