How do people sync audio and video when making videos of modular synths?

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: lisa, Kent, Joe.

aaronshaver
Learning to Wiggle

Post by aaronshaver » Mon Feb 03, 2020 10:16 am

Especially when there's no obvious sharp sounds, like say an ambient patch, I don't see how it's done.

If I've got:
1. Some kind of audio out Eurorack module -> Focusrite interface -> say record to .wav file
2. A video recording of some kind (e.g. from phone)

I'll have a .mov and a .wav let's say.

I guess I could just try to hit record on the phone and whatever audio software at close to the same time, but that seems error-prone.

Again with no sharp claps/distinct audio in the .wav file, not sure how to sync. Thanks for any ideas.

chrisdermo
Ultra Wiggler

Re: How do people sync audio and video when making videos of modular synths?

Post by chrisdermo » Mon Feb 03, 2020 10:18 am

You need to use video editing software to line the audio up to the video. Either using a keypress that should trigger a note/chord if you're playing a keyboard, or maybe a gate/trigger light for the first sound you hear or something? Shouldn't be too difficult. If there is no gestural playing and no indicator lights going on then no one would know if it was sync'd or not!
WTB / WTTF: Bugbrand PRC2B, DD3, PRC4, ENV1

Current Bugs frame:
https://www.modulargrid.net/f/racks/view/580413

fac
wig MUffler

Post by fac » Mon Feb 03, 2020 10:22 am

What makes you think that they do? :hihi:

aaronshaver
Learning to Wiggle

Post by aaronshaver » Mon Feb 03, 2020 10:22 am

Thanks chrisdermo. I suppose I could start the recording with a sharp sound of some kind, then simply chop the first part of the video + audio out when the real performance begins.

chrisdermo
Ultra Wiggler

Post by chrisdermo » Mon Feb 03, 2020 10:24 am

Yeah I've done that before. Manually fire off an envelope or something to get the sync, once the sound has gone you can start the real performance.
If you're going to be recording the audio purely for a video it's always a good idea to record at 48kHz rather than the usual default of 44.1kHz.
WTB / WTTF: Bugbrand PRC2B, DD3, PRC4, ENV1

Current Bugs frame:
https://www.modulargrid.net/f/racks/view/580413

aaronshaver
Learning to Wiggle

Post by aaronshaver » Mon Feb 03, 2020 10:51 am

chrisdermo wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 10:24 am
If you're going to be recording the audio purely for a video it's always a good idea to record at 48kHz rather than the usual default of 44.1kHz.
Why?

Thanks for your help.

nouuislo
Learning to Wiggle

Post by nouuislo » Mon Feb 03, 2020 10:52 am

You can do the old film thing of recording - on video and audio - a hand clap (or any fast transient) at the beginning.

Sync up the video and audio in post production based on that clap and the rest should be good, unless one of your devices drifts during recording.

Toowoombaus
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Toowoombaus » Mon Feb 03, 2020 11:49 am

You record at 48K because in the video world for sync reasons the audio needs to be at 48K.
Use the old fashion clap at the beginning.

And if you want to start pulling your hair out in chunks try the recording audio at 44.1, sync up the clap at the beginning and then watch your audio drift out of sync with the video.
If you’re not interested in doing that just make sure you record the audio at 48K :hihi:

I work in post production and if you want a great video editing software that is FREE download DaVinci Resolve. Mac or PC.
https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/produc ... ciresolve/

brickman
Veteran Wiggler

Post by brickman » Mon Feb 03, 2020 12:40 pm

Give this a try :

https://obsproject.com/

Its a doddle to set up and use. Can even use your phone's camera and simultaneously record audio through your interface.

xonetacular
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by xonetacular » Mon Feb 03, 2020 12:47 pm

Forget all that hassle, just get an audio interface for your phone and take line out from your soundcard (a headphone jack will work well) into the stereo audio interface connected to your phone and your videos will have good audio without any editing. I recommend the iRig Stream for this currently but there are cheaper options some people report work well (behringer uca-202 with an adapter, line6 sonicport used to be the go to but it is now bricked on ios, but fine if you have an android).

chvad
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by chvad » Mon Feb 03, 2020 1:48 pm

aaronshaver wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 10:51 am
chrisdermo wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 10:24 am
Why?

Thanks for your help.
The 44.1 recording and the video will gradually slip out of time if the sample rates don't match.

Like others suggested with the hand clap... that's a pretty standard way of doing things. It's not "old" though. It's not an uncommon work flow to have sound recorded separate from video depending on the scale of a production. One of the uses of a slate (in this case the handclap) is to use that transient to align up with the first frame of the late closing. So if you do a handclap, or clap books or whatever... make sure you can see both hands evenly from the side so you can see when they make contact. We're fleshy so it's not as easy to determine sometimes as a slate is. Some editors can try and sync stuff for you automatically but I always prefer to keep it manually. In any case... it's all super easy once you try it a couple of time.

dooj88
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dooj88 » Mon Feb 03, 2020 2:28 pm

when my field recorder starts recording, the record button lights up.

so when i dump the phone video into microsoft movie maker, i use the "add music at current point" and skip through to the exact frame the light comes on and add the recorded music there. it's not sexy, but it gets the job done.

nectarios
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by nectarios » Mon Feb 03, 2020 3:26 pm

I do it in Logic.
I record (crap) video from (phone) camera that also records audio from its onboard mic.
At the same time I record the patch, line in into the DAW.

Then import the (phone) video into Logic, which creates a video file and an audio track with the audio from the onboard mic, which I use to line up the line in audio recording, then export audio to video, with the phone mic audio channel, muted. Done.

It literally takes under a minute to do this.

NoLegs
Veteran Wiggler

Post by NoLegs » Mon Feb 03, 2020 4:12 pm

I press record in my DAW and on my camera at the same time, this usually gets me close enough to either manually align the video with the audio, or I use the sync feature in Final Cut Pro, which works about 95% of the time from my experience.

Just me
Has enough VCA's

Post by Just me » Mon Feb 03, 2020 7:46 pm

Smpte. Old. Still works.
If I have water in my ear, is it safe for me to listen to electronic music?

Severed head
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Severed head » Mon Feb 03, 2020 7:58 pm

chrisdermo wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 10:18 am
You need to use video editing software to line the audio up to the video. Either using a keypress that should trigger a note/chord if you're playing a keyboard, or maybe a gate/trigger light for the first sound you hear or something? Shouldn't be too difficult. If there is no gestural playing and no indicator lights going on then no one would know if it was sync'd or not!
aaronshaver wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 10:22 am
Thanks chrisdermo. I suppose I could start the recording with a sharp sound of some kind, then simply chop the first part of the video + audio out when the real performance begins.
well, if your using an iPhone, there is a built in mic,
and id guess your using some sort of monitor, so couldnt you record the video (with audio) & the audio on your computer
then when you import to whatever video editing software before even looking at the video use the detach audio function then compare the high quality audio track picture and the shitty iPhone audio track picture and do something like having you composition or even just the first few seconds of both be just a steady click/tap of an snapping ADSR/snare hit or something like that thats distinct in sound(and possibly shape(visually) then you'd have something that is the exact same on both the good and bad quality audio that you could line up manually. with a drag or nudge tool.
then delete the bad quality audio (as its detached from the vid) and the good will be lined up and upon export you got the vid w/ HQ Audio
WTB: modules, MA35 filter.
:help:

frequencycentral
Kicking the shit out of your speakers

Post by frequencycentral » Mon Feb 03, 2020 8:04 pm

dros3raq
Learning to Wiggle

Post by dros3raq » Mon Feb 03, 2020 9:24 pm

Touch-CV_1.jpg
if you can get your hands on a circuit bent video mixer with CV inputs, you can use a video cable to patch the video output to it's own input and you'll have some really cool rainbow video feedback patterns. Just patch any CV output from your modules to the CV inputs and you'll have instant abstract/generative visuals. I use a circuit bent Panasonic AVE-3 I picked up from BPMC and I love it. It gets even crazier if you use a camera in the feedback chain.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

aaronshaver
Learning to Wiggle

Post by aaronshaver » Mon Feb 03, 2020 9:43 pm

xonetacular wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 12:47 pm
Forget all that hassle, just get an audio interface for your phone and take line out from your soundcard (a headphone jack will work well) into the stereo audio interface connected to your phone and your videos will have good audio without any editing. I recommend the iRig Stream for this currently but there are cheaper options some people report work well (behringer uca-202 with an adapter, line6 sonicport used to be the go to but it is now bricked on ios, but fine if you have an android).
Sounds interesting. I'm still trying to wrap my head around the connectors and adapters involved.

Ideally I'd like a setup where I could 1) hear the Eurorack playing through speakers, 2) also be recording to the computer, 3) recording video that I can later sync up with the audio (and ignore the audio track that originally was embedded in the video file).

Toowoombaus
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Toowoombaus » Mon Feb 03, 2020 10:09 pm

Seems like a mixing board could take care of that for you.

Or, A computer interface with at least four inputs and separate direct and monitor outs.
What equipment do you have available to you?

aaronshaver
Learning to Wiggle

Post by aaronshaver » Mon Feb 03, 2020 10:16 pm

Toowoombaus wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 10:09 pm
Seems like a mixing board could take care of that for you.

Or, A computer interface with at least four inputs and separate direct and monitor outs.
What equipment do you have available to you?
Right now I've got a Focusrite Scarlett Solo interface. That's going out to two monitors/speakers and has one 1/4" input free. And an iPhone for video recording. I haven't decided on which Eurorack module to do audio out from, but maybe something like OUT V3 by Befaco?

Toowoombaus
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Toowoombaus » Mon Feb 03, 2020 10:33 pm

OK, if you come out of your Belfaco, and into your Scarlet couldn’t you hear your euro rack system through your monitor speakers if they are plugged in to the outputs of your Scarlet and be recording simultaneously?

Film with your iPhone use the built-in microphone to Record guide audio so you can sync up to later... unless I’m missing something it sounds pretty straightforward.

OIP
Common Wiggler

Post by OIP » Mon Feb 03, 2020 10:46 pm

an interface that can support an iphone connection makes it super easy, the phone camera will pick up the sound from the interface and it's all done in one go. you can also monitor via the interface. i use roland UA 22 but it's discontinued, i'm sure there's a current equivalent.

otherwise the transient method as previously mentioned, though it's an extra step in some editing software. but also allows for more flexibility with treating the audio track running it straight into a DAW.

sduck
experimental use of gravity

Post by sduck » Mon Feb 03, 2020 11:00 pm

When i'm doing multi camera videos, and recording the audio from the modular separately, I'll setup a little side patch that basically shoots a ping off when you press a button, and than make it really obvious when I'm pressing the button at the start of the video. Then it's easy to line everything up in final cut pro (or whatever you're using). Then once you're done lining up everything, trim out that part.
flickr cloud of sound touyube NOT A MODERATOR ANYMORE

Return to “General Gear”