Does anyone make a decent analog console anymore?

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: lisa, luketeaford, Kent, Joe.

slumberjack
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Does anyone make a decent analog console anymore?

Post by slumberjack » Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:15 am

Technologear? wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:14 am
BugBrand wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 5:20 am
Hadn't heard of the Zaehl AM1 before - yow!
https://www.zaehl.com/products/am1-mixing-console
I know! It has everything I want in a dream desk. That cv section is amazing.
I'd be curious about the price tag on these.

wiperactive
Wiggling with Experience

Post by wiperactive » Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:17 am

thomachine wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 2:28 am
It seems like the"prosumer" segment of recording console's is gone. As that segment now just tracks directly to audio interface's.

I just got a Ghost, and love it. There is something about physical faders and knobs that just makes everything more enjoyable. Even if i might loose something in regards to "audio quality", the process and easy use of EQ makes up for it though.
I bought a second hand Soundcraft Ghost 32 channel console about 11 years ago - the non automated model - on recommendation from a producer who reckoned it was one of the best bets before you hit the serious money stuff. No comparison to a friend's Raindirk Symphony console (way out of reach for me and what a beauty!), but nevertheless, very happy with the Ghost's performance sound wise with its rather nice EQ section, although I would have preferred a modular construction in terms of removable channel strips for easier maintenance. They were still in production until comparatively recently.

Also got a Mackie LM-3204 rack mixer as a sub for extra inputs which had a very clean signal path for the money.

shred
desperation tentacle

Post by shred » Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:40 am

slumberjack wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:15 am
Technologear? wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:14 am
BugBrand wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 5:20 am
Hadn't heard of the Zaehl AM1 before - yow!
https://www.zaehl.com/products/am1-mixing-console
I know! It has everything I want in a dream desk. That cv section is amazing.
I'd be curious about the price tag on these.
wish I had never heard of the AM1! it's everything i want but extremely unaffordable, and slightly impractical, for my needs.
I believe the stereo channels run around $1,500 and cv channels are closer to $4,000 (i could be wrong though).
A Dingleberry Monstrosity wrote:CATS OR GTFO!!!!!

www.shredderghost.bandcamp.com

slumberjack
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by slumberjack » Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:56 am

shred wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:40 am
I believe the stereo channels run around $1,500 and cv channels are closer to $4,000 (i could be wrong though).
So a mono channel is maybe around 1k - again we're speaking in terms of a new car (not that I would prefer wheels over faders just in relation to the cost).

thomachine
Common Wiggler

Post by thomachine » Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:19 am

wiperactive wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:17 am

I bought a second hand Soundcraft Ghost 32 channel console about 11 years ago - the non automated model - on recommendation from a producer who reckoned it was one of the best bets before you hit the serious money stuff. No comparison to a friend's Raindirk Symphony console (way out of reach for me and what a beauty!), but nevertheless, very happy with the Ghost's performance sound wise with its rather nice EQ section, although I would have preferred a modular construction in terms of removable channel strips for easier maintenance. They were still in production until comparatively recently.

Also got a Mackie LM-3204 rack mixer as a sub for extra inputs which had a very clean signal path for the money.
I have never tried any high end mixers so i love my Ghost. The two fully parametric eq's does wonders for some of my synths. The lack of fully modular channelstrips is a bit dumb, but for the price i paid i cant complain. Paid 550$ for my 32 channel LE. Got some noisy pots, but they seems to get better with some use. Not looking forward to doing maintenance on this thing.. hehe.

wuff_miggler
Common Wiggler

Post by wuff_miggler » Wed Feb 26, 2020 7:06 pm

These sony MXP-61's really catch my eye ....eq...12 channels...

for someone like me with only 8 channels of Apogee conversion - just having something small form like this would be amazing...im seriously considering it - $1200 seems like nothing - after speccing a modular. This one is sold - but i see them pop up here and there for similar prices

https://reverb.com/au/item/2512285-vint ... cale=en-AU

Michael O.
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Michael O. » Thu Feb 27, 2020 4:45 pm

wuff_miggler wrote:
Wed Feb 26, 2020 7:06 pm
These sony MXP-61's really catch my eye ....eq...12 channels...

for someone like me with only 8 channels of Apogee conversion - just having something small form like this would be amazing...im seriously considering it - $1200 seems like nothing - after speccing a modular. This one is sold - but i see them pop up here and there for similar prices

https://reverb.com/au/item/2512285-vint ... cale=en-AU
These were great broadcast and even location/remote boards, but they’re not really recording consoles. Specifically, the smaller Sony mixers don’t have direct outs, so in other words it wouldn’t work like you’re imagining, you’d need to route everything through the (not particularly great sounding) busses. That’s assuming you’re wanting to use it for tracking; if you’re wanting to use it for mixing I’d say it’s still not ideal, and the itb results will be cleaner and the majority of the time significantly more usable. The Line inputs and busses are major weak points, and there aren’t even inserts on the channels.

The top of the line mxp3000 that I used a couple times didn’t even wow me compared to most older consoles, and that one even had many of the stock Sony pres replaced with API modules.

Keep in mind that’s just my take, and it’s probably a different strokes for different folks sort of situation, but these boards may not be as good a value as they appear.

Monotremata
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Monotremata » Fri Feb 28, 2020 2:15 am

Pretty happy with the two Soundcraft LX7s I own so far.. Started with the 16 channel LX7 and just upgraded to a 24 channel LX7II a week or so ago. Now I have direct outs on the first 16 channels, the other 8 on the right side of the master section act as my fx returns so I can bus those to the groups and track those too. Still have a stereo channel (the other is for the MOTU), and 2 returns left over if I need em. Defeatable EQ, direct outs can be pre/post fader. One of the only recording features its missing are A/B inputs but eh, everything is in the patchbay so I can just patch all 16 of my interfaces outputs to the row above it and mix from Logic when I want. Harman still has all the parts for em too if you need em.

Man now I gotta find a 32 channel Ghost for $500. I haven't seen one yet for under $1000 or I would've bought one of the "real" Soundcrafts already.

Return to “General Gear”