Moving from the US: Power Considerations

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: lisa, Kent, Joe.

bryantcheramie
Alopex

Moving from the US: Power Considerations

Post by bryantcheramie » Fri Feb 07, 2020 4:04 am

Hey guys, I am about to move from the US to Saudi Arabia/Bahrain. I dont know where to start when thinking about what I am going to do about all of my gear. Should most of this stuff work with a wall adaptor, or will a lot of this stuff get friend if I plug into a wall that is 220 and not 110. Im talking computer, synths, modular, preamps, drum machines, etc.

Arneb
Wiggling with Experience

Re: Moving from the US: Power Considerations

Post by Arneb » Fri Feb 07, 2020 4:24 am

Plugging an appliance expecting 110V into a 220V outlet is generally a surefire way to fry your appliance's power supply.

That being said, most A-G and B-G wall adapters should have a built-in 220V-110V transformer - it's not like there are many 220V type B or 110V type G outlets around, so there shouldn't be much of a market for wall adapters without transformers. If your wall adapter has such a transformer, you're safe. Just be careful about that when you shop for wall adapters.

ihav2p
Learning to Wiggle

Post by ihav2p » Fri Feb 07, 2020 10:05 am

On top of a converter, bring a US powerstrip. They are not that easy to find abroad.

neonmercury1
Wiggling with Experience

Post by neonmercury1 » Fri Feb 07, 2020 2:08 pm

Definitely make SURE that any adapter either has a step up transformer or most things have a switching powersupply on it say most computers can use just the basic adapter. i would say from my experience most adapters dont have transformers and cheap transformers crap out easily and dont give clean power. Make sure to read the power requirements on each piece of gear to see of it says 110-230v on it. if it says 110v only then never plug it in without a stepup transformer. when i moved here i could never get a US powerstrip to work even with a transformer it would always blow. but it may have been a shit transformer. anyway i think from my gear and studio tools almost nothing modern needed a transformer except most of my electric hand tools.

Analog Prophet
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Analog Prophet » Sat Feb 08, 2020 4:24 am

I have the experience of moving from USA to Europe, 110V to 220V, with all my stuff, my synths and studio included (and to the US before that). I recommend to set up your stuff as is right now at home plus converters before the powerstrips connected to the wall.

Some devices, such older Oberheim has automatically switchable power supplies (or manually switches) while other, such older Yamaha has only 110V or 220V. Read carefully at the power connector. Even if you can mix and match I recommend to use one current only (110V). The reason is that its easy to make mistakes when eventually moving stuff around - I guess Im not the only one in this congregation constantly moving stuff around for better workflow to reach “the final and perfect setup”.

Exceptions: All computers I had so far (mainly Macs but some PCs as well in the early days) had automatically switchable power supplies - just get an 220V model powercord/connector to it in Bahrain. Note that a power connector adaptor is not the same as a converter - the adaptor doesn’t change the current, just makes the connector fit to the power outlet. Some electronic stuff as TV, hairdryer, lamps sweeper and household machines are better to buy new 220V models if lacking switchable power (automatically or manually).

220V devices to 110V power outlets normally doesn’t harm, it just doesn’t work. 110V devices to 220V outlets fries your babies. Yes, I have popped/fried a couple of devices due to mix 110V and 220V equipment, not a very pleasant experience even if my insurance covered - white smoke is most definitely not something that will make you shout and dance of joy.

Today, 12 years since the move, all my synths and studio setup is solely 220V, except a TX816 that is still 110V.

Good luck with the move!
The best beat of any music
is the beat of your own heart

http://www.analogprophet.com

rens
Learning to Wiggle

Post by rens » Sun Feb 09, 2020 4:22 am

Another thing to remember is the frequency; in the us its 60hz but most of the rest of the world is 50hz. This will affect motors, fans, etc. Watch out! Not an issue for most audio kit but a big deal for things with ac motors.

dubonaire
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dubonaire » Mon Feb 10, 2020 3:18 am

neonmercury1 wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 2:08 pm
Definitely make SURE that any adapter either has a step up transformer or most things have a switching powersupply on it say most computers can use just the basic adapter. i would say from my experience most adapters dont have transformers and cheap transformers crap out easily and dont give clean power. Make sure to read the power requirements on each piece of gear to see of it says 110-230v on it. if it says 110v only then never plug it in without a stepup transformer. when i moved here i could never get a US powerstrip to work even with a transformer it would always blow. but it may have been a shit transformer. anyway i think from my gear and studio tools almost nothing modern needed a transformer except most of my electric hand tools.
I think you mean step down transformer.

neonmercury1
Wiggling with Experience

Post by neonmercury1 » Mon Feb 10, 2020 3:48 am

dubonaire wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 3:18 am
neonmercury1 wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 2:08 pm
I think you mean step down transformer.
ahhh your right, he is going up in voltage so needs to step down to use the 110. my mistake

Return to “General Gear”