Noob Help Moog Model D & EHX Little Big Muff

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: lisa, Kent, Joe.

trash116
Learning to Wiggle

Noob Help Moog Model D & EHX Little Big Muff

Post by trash116 » Fri Feb 07, 2020 5:05 pm

Hi there,

Sorry noob/obvious question -

Wondered if someone could help me, i've done some pre-reading on this but i'm still abit confused.

I've got an issue when i've tried to run my synth (Moog Model D reissue) into a guitar pedal (EHX Little Big Muff) then into my audio interface (RME Fireface 802). I'm connecting to one of the inputs with Mic/Instrument preamps on the front.

When i run the above set up, the sound is very quiet when playing through my DAW and not clear, when i'm not playing there the signal isn't quiet - there is quite a hum.

I've not tried distortion pedal before - the only other pedal i've got is a reverb pedal (eventide) and that works fine when connected the same way.

I'm sure i'm doing something very obviously wrong - any help would be appreciated.
Last edited by trash116 on Fri Feb 07, 2020 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Yes Powder
Powder that makes you say "Yes"

Re: Noob Help Moog Model D & EHX Little Big Muff

Post by Yes Powder » Fri Feb 07, 2020 5:16 pm

My first question is why/how you're plugging in via XLR cables, since the Minimoog and LBMπ's inputs and outputs are 1/4" TS jack.
Probably worth mentioning that the LBMπ is probably used to handling guitar-level signals so depending on what you have the Minimoog's output set to you may be sending a much hotter signal than it's expecting to see.
Also, how does the distortion pedal sound when you just run a guitar or bass through it?

trash116
Learning to Wiggle

Post by trash116 » Fri Feb 07, 2020 5:37 pm

@Yes Powder
Thanks for the reply
Sorry my mistake about saying i was plugging it into my interface via XLR -- obvs didnt mean that. You are right i'm using normal 1/4" jack. I've amended my post.

On the model D there are two outputs high & low.... which would be best to use in this situation. Normally when running out of my moog to my audio interface i use the high. The manual says the low is "low-level output that can connect to to an instrument amplifier or other high gain, high
impedance input"

I've used the pedal with my guitar into my amp - and that was fine... this is first time i've tried it via my audio interface.

thanks

Yes Powder
Powder that makes you say "Yes"

Post by Yes Powder » Fri Feb 07, 2020 6:04 pm

You probably want the low-gain output since you'll be plugging it into an effects pedal before your interface.
Can you post a sample somewhere of the sound (or lack thereof) that you're getting?

everydaycurry
Learning to Wiggle

Post by everydaycurry » Fri Feb 07, 2020 8:42 pm

The Muff outputs a guitar-level (hi-Z) signal - I don't know that interface, but it might be looking for a line level signal (like a synth).

rowsbywoof
Veteran Wiggler

Post by rowsbywoof » Sat Feb 08, 2020 2:44 am

Do you have an open in/out on the 802? If so, instead of running the Minimoog through the pedal, I would run each directly into the 802 and configure a send/return in TotalMix for the LBM. Little bit of routing (which can be confusing at first, admittedly, but the manual for the 802 is pretty good showing how to set up an effects loop), but that way you can send the Minimoog and/or other instruments to the LBM and tweak your levels as needed. Probably save you a ton of trouble once you get it set up.

gentle_attack
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by gentle_attack » Sat Feb 08, 2020 3:18 pm

rowsbywoof wrote:
Sat Feb 08, 2020 2:44 am
Do you have an open in/out on the 802? If so, instead of running the Minimoog through the pedal, I would run each directly into the 802 and configure a send/return in TotalMix for the LBM. Little bit of routing (which can be confusing at first, admittedly, but the manual for the 802 is pretty good showing how to set up an effects loop), but that way you can send the Minimoog and/or other instruments to the LBM and tweak your levels as needed. Probably save you a ton of trouble once you get it set up.
The only thing with that is that a lot of overdrive/ distortion pedals reverse the phase of the signal when engaged, so if that was the case increasing the Send/Wet level would actually lower the perceived volume since it would be increasing the level of the inverted phase and cancelling out the originally signal. Just worth throwing out there if the OP thinks about going down that Rabbit Hole
Control Skiff ||Big Case || cv.ocd || Manther || OP-1 OP-Lab|| Octatrack Digitone RYTM || BX-8 BX-16 || Monologue KP3+

th0mas
Veteran Wiggler

Post by th0mas » Sun Feb 09, 2020 12:04 am

Mono 1/4" or balanced?

Return to “General Gear”