New Eurodesk-Z Desktop Equipment Stands

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: lisa, Kent, Joe.

jjmcclear
Wiggling with Experience

New Eurodesk-Z Desktop Equipment Stands

Post by jjmcclear » Sat Feb 08, 2020 2:30 am

Hey, kids!

Jesse here (the HEX-01 guy). Just wanted to share something new that I've been working on. It's a height adjustable desktop equipment stand. It's 20" wide, and has three settings. It will be made of either 14 or 16 gauge steel (14 gauge in pics). See the link below for illustrations, and photos of some of the prototypes that I recently had made. They haven't been powder coated just yet (still working out the design), but it's getting there!

DeskStarz Image gallery

Last edited by jjmcclear on Sat Feb 08, 2020 6:31 am, edited 2 times in total.

cackland
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: New Eurodesk-Z Equipment Stands

Post by cackland » Sat Feb 08, 2020 2:54 am

Very nice. Do you have a price point at this stage?

jjmcclear
Wiggling with Experience

Re: New Eurodesk-Z Equipment Stands

Post by jjmcclear » Sat Feb 08, 2020 5:49 am

cackland wrote:
Sat Feb 08, 2020 2:54 am
Very nice. Do you have a price point at this stage?
I'm still waiting to see what the 16 gauge version will cost, but... I'm guesstimating these not to run above $149.99. Hoping less. They originally quoted me $90 each on production costs, but... the scale was way off lol. It was about 5 inches or so, too big. You can see it in one of the photos where there's three of them. I'll let everyone know more when I have more information.

These are super sturdy though. They don't sag in the middle like some plastic ones that I've owned in the past. And they hold a lot of gear. Quarter inch cables fit through slots. You can but a synth right up to it and clear the jacks in the back. You can tie hanging cable at the back, so the weight doesn't pull on the jacks themselves. I put a lot of thought into this design.

These will probably have the same black mini texture powder coat, as my cable hangers. I might do some color options, we'll see.

Jesse

hippo1
Common Wiggler

Re: New Eurodesk-Z Desktop Equipment Stands

Post by hippo1 » Sat Feb 08, 2020 9:28 am

Like 'em!

...Armchair complaint: A 1.4-1.5" (sorry, couldn't tell which was front/back) rail seems fine for holding Euro stuff, or modules/pedals/etc... but a little high to throw a Keystep (or other minikey 'board) up on and still be able to depress keys. I know, not your intent; I'm thinking more as a general-purpose riser (of which I am very much a fan of, especially as it's well-made vs wood/plastic varieties) that I may change as time goes by...!

But that certainly wouldn't keep me from buying it.

jjmcclear
Wiggling with Experience

Post by jjmcclear » Sat Feb 08, 2020 2:35 pm

Hey there!

Yeah, the bottom ledge is designed more to hold deeper boxes (Elektron style groove box synths, effects pedals, etc.). I also wanted the bottom slots fit the headphone and input jacks on my UAD audio interface. So I made the ledge deeper. It’s difficult to make a one size fits all, sometimes. Just depends on your personal setups. I think most would prefer the Beatstep on the desk, in front of it. Thank you for the suggestion though. I really do like hearing people’s input!

Jesse
hippo1 wrote:
Sat Feb 08, 2020 9:28 am
Like 'em!

...Armchair complaint: A 1.4-1.5" (sorry, couldn't tell which was front/back) rail seems fine for holding Euro stuff, or modules/pedals/etc... but a little high to throw a Keystep (or other minikey 'board) up on and still be able to depress keys. I know, not your intent; I'm thinking more as a general-purpose riser (of which I am very much a fan of, especially as it's well-made vs wood/plastic varieties) that I may change as time goes by...!

But that certainly wouldn't keep me from buying it.
Last edited by jjmcclear on Wed Feb 19, 2020 11:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

chiavere
Common Wiggler

Post by chiavere » Thu Feb 13, 2020 2:45 pm

Hi,

Looks great - What is the total height on the back?

Thanks!

gnome666
Common Wiggler

Post by gnome666 » Thu Feb 13, 2020 3:00 pm

looks super useful!

jjmcclear
Wiggling with Experience

Post by jjmcclear » Mon Feb 17, 2020 6:08 pm

Stand Design Updates

Received the second prototype Friday. I'm doing one final run of tweaks and that should be it. I think I'm going to stay with the heavier 14 gauge steel. The 16 gauge was a bit flimsy. Also redesigned the bottom piece completely (see bottom illustration), which I think looks better and will add more stability than the previous version.

Red Electric Rainbow
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Red Electric Rainbow » Mon Feb 17, 2020 6:39 pm

finally. been hoping a real contender would enter this category.
TOO FAR GONE

jjmcclear
Wiggling with Experience

Post by jjmcclear » Tue Feb 18, 2020 12:51 am

From ground up, or ledge up?
chiavere wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 2:45 pm
Hi,

Thanks!
Last edited by jjmcclear on Wed Feb 19, 2020 11:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

chiavere
Common Wiggler

Post by chiavere » Tue Feb 18, 2020 9:21 pm

jjmcclear wrote:
Tue Feb 18, 2020 12:51 am
chiavere wrote:
Hi,

Thanks!
Ground up - hoping it will fit under a ledge/shelf I have. :lol:

jjmcclear
Wiggling with Experience

Post by jjmcclear » Tue Feb 18, 2020 11:26 pm

7 5/8 inches at it's highest setting
chiavere wrote:
Tue Feb 18, 2020 9:21 pm
jjmcclear wrote:
Tue Feb 18, 2020 12:51 am
chiavere wrote:
Hi,

Thanks!
Ground up - hoping it will fit under a ledge/shelf I have. :lol:
Last edited by jjmcclear on Wed Feb 19, 2020 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dubonaire
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dubonaire » Wed Feb 19, 2020 3:09 am

You know, I often find myself placing gear on top of cables running across my desk and it annoys me because the gear is never stable, and grates with my need for harmony and balance. I also notice that when you look at pictures in the 'post your studio pictures' thread people always have cables running across their desks. It's a fact of non-pro studio life I think. If you could design this so there was space to run cables under the stand it would be insta-buy for me because not only would it eliminate that problem, it could also work as a quasi cable organizer.

KSS
Ultra Wiggler

Post by KSS » Wed Feb 19, 2020 4:56 am

dubonaire wrote:
Wed Feb 19, 2020 3:09 am
If you could design this so there was space to run cables under the stand it would be insta-buy for me because not only would it eliminate that problem, it could also work as a quasi cable organizer.
Flip the bottom piece and break its assembly tab into two tabs. Still a single press bend. Re-design the side plates to have U-shaped cutouts -to match the sides- to end up with four 'feet' overall. Add four holes to bottom so rubber feet could -optionally- be used to support the whole rather than on the four metal edge feet.

Could then function as originally shown. And per your desired cord cover-manager manner.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Red Electric Rainbow
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Red Electric Rainbow » Wed Feb 19, 2020 6:48 am

any chance there will be a two tier option or a way to stack them? the ultimate support MDS can be linked into two tiers but im not sure how stable they are.
TOO FAR GONE

jjmcclear
Wiggling with Experience

Post by jjmcclear » Wed Feb 19, 2020 9:34 pm

You actually could as it is. Just flip the base (see photo below). You would just have to watch where it sits on your desk. Too close to the edge might slip off. This is the reason for the large surface area of the base.

dubonaire wrote:
You know, I often find myself placing gear on top of cables running across my desk and it annoys me because the gear is never stable, and grates with my need for harmony and balance. I also notice that when you look at pictures in the 'post your studio pictures' thread people always have cables running across their desks. It's a fact of non-pro studio life I think. If you could design this so there was space to run cables under the stand it would be insta-buy for me because not only would it eliminate that problem, it could also work as a quasi cable organizer.
Last edited by jjmcclear on Wed Feb 19, 2020 11:38 pm, edited 5 times in total.

jjmcclear
Wiggling with Experience

Post by jjmcclear » Wed Feb 19, 2020 9:35 pm

There is a plan to make an optional two tier part for it, in the future. Still working on this single tier for now, but... it's on my to do list, yes.

The problem I found with plastic ones, is they begin to sag in the middle. I didn't like that, and the fact you couldn't run cables under, or but equipment up to the front... so i designed these.
Red Electric Rainbow wrote:
Wed Feb 19, 2020 6:48 am
any chance there will be a two tier option or a way to stack them? the ultimate support MDS can be linked into two tiers but im not sure how stable they are.
Last edited by jjmcclear on Wed Feb 19, 2020 11:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.

jjmcclear
Wiggling with Experience

Post by jjmcclear » Wed Feb 19, 2020 9:43 pm

The reason for the large flat base, is so that you can run it slightly off the edge of your desk... and still be stable. Having less footing, would limit you in that situation. I like having one at both ends of my computer, but... if my desk is only 62 inches wide, let's say... It would then be balancing on 3 of 4 legs.

I'm waiting on a quote for laser cut rubber adhesive padding, that you can apply where needed.

Currently instrument cables can fit through the side slots, but... I'll consider the side tab idea, thanks!

KSS wrote:
Wed Feb 19, 2020 4:56 am
dubonaire wrote:
If you could design this so there was space to run cables under the stand it would be insta-buy for me because not only would it eliminate that problem, it could also work as a quasi cable organizer.
Flip the bottom piece and break its assembly tab into two tabs. Still a single press bend. Re-design the side plates to have U-shaped cutouts -to match the sides- to end up with four 'feet' overall. Add four holes to bottom so rubber feet could -optionally- be used to support the whole rather than on the four metal edge feet.

Could then function as originally shown. And per your desired cord cover-manager manner.
Last edited by jjmcclear on Wed Feb 19, 2020 11:46 pm, edited 6 times in total.

jjmcclear
Wiggling with Experience

Post by jjmcclear » Wed Feb 19, 2020 9:47 pm

I hope people are pleased with them! :)
Red Electric Rainbow wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 6:39 pm
finally. been hoping a real contender would enter this category.

jjmcclear
Wiggling with Experience

Post by jjmcclear » Wed Feb 19, 2020 9:48 pm

I'm hoping to have these up for sale by mid to late March 2020.

3hands
Veteran Wiggler

Post by 3hands » Thu Feb 20, 2020 7:23 am

Does this mean I can finally get rid of my beloved IKEA Redd shoe racks? (At least for live)
Gum is fun, but not on a cat.

My minds an art gallery.

Return to “General Gear”