Yamaha DX5 midi velocity

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: lisa, Kent, Joe.

chrisryan15
Learning to Wiggle

Yamaha DX5 midi velocity

Post by chrisryan15 » Mon Feb 10, 2020 4:59 pm

I have a yamaha dx5, and while i love it, it has the velocity limited at 100. I know this is a standard issue with the dx7 mk1 and the the dx5 (I'm guessing the dx1 as well?), but I'm looking for a way to fix it. With my dx7 mk1 I replaced the original os eprom with the ser7 eprom, which made it so the dx7 could send out 0-127 velocity.

My question is, is there an eprom os upgrade I could install for the dx5 to fix the velocity issue? I've always heard people say that the dx5 is basically 2 dx7's in one, which is pretty accurate from my experience. The only thing that seems different on the dx5 is its global midi settings (being able to do splits, turn off local midi control, etc), and that makes me think the solution can't be as easy as just dropping in 2 ser7 eproms.

I know I could always just run a midi transform program to change the output range, but I'd ideally be able to make the fix inside the synth and keep the computer out of it.

Michael O.
Wiggling with Experience

Re: Yamaha DX5 midi velocity

Post by Michael O. » Tue Feb 11, 2020 3:35 pm

Does the dx7 special edition eprom really give it full scale velocity? Iirc both of my units are equipped with the ser7 and both still only only output velocity values up to 100. Likewise, I don’t think there’s a fix for the dx5, either.

Is it a dealbreaker though? They still respond to full scale velocity, so the only issue is when using an early dx board as a master midi controller for other (velocity-sensitive) synths.

mmp
Veteran Wiggler

Post by mmp » Tue Feb 11, 2020 8:51 pm

MIDI Solutions has a box that can fix it.

Analog Prophet
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Analog Prophet » Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:20 am

The first DX7 had the velocity limit of 100. Later on it was increased to 127, so there are DX7 (mk1) with 100 as well as 127. I’m pretty sure the Gray Matter Response E! card will fix the velocity limit if you’ll find one AND IF it works with DX5 (not sure).

The DX5 is closer to DX1 than to DX7. The sound engine is the same but features you mentioned chrisryan15 differs.
The best beat of any music
is the beat of your own heart

http://www.analogprophet.com

chrisryan15
Learning to Wiggle

Post by chrisryan15 » Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:22 am

Hmm yeah I was gonna try to use it as a master keyboard, thats why I was hoping to fix that. Not a total deal breaker! i could've sworn that the ser7 upgrade fixed the velocity, but maybe thats my memory playing tricks.

Checked out the midi solutions box, seems like exactly what i would need. I might just use a different keyboard as a master to save me $100 or so.

Appreciate the help!

Return to “General Gear”