Akai Z8 with dead screen

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: lisa, Kent, Joe.

nthall
Learning to Wiggle

Akai Z8 with dead screen

Post by nthall » Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:48 pm

I have an Akai Z8, and the screen has been going out for a while. It's finally dead. Everything else still works fine. I've changed all of the rotary encoders, and the jog wheel as they broke. I've never been able to source a new LCD for it though.

Does anyone know of any LCDs that have been retrofitted into one successfully, or know where I can get a copy of the service manual? It's my favorite sampler, but it has been abandoned by Akai, and all of their service people that I have contacted. I'll figure out how to repair it, but I can't find much on the web. Any information about it will save me a lot of steps, and be appreciated.

oldgearguy
Wiggling with Experience

Re: Akai Z8 with dead screen

Post by oldgearguy » Thu Feb 13, 2020 5:00 am

nthall wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:48 pm
I have an Akai Z8, and the screen has been going out for a while. It's finally dead. Everything else still works fine. I've changed all of the rotary encoders, and the jog wheel as they broke. I've never been able to source a new LCD for it though.

Does anyone know of any LCDs that have been retrofitted into one successfully, or know where I can get a copy of the service manual? It's my favorite sampler, but it has been abandoned by Akai, and all of their service people that I have contacted. I'll figure out how to repair it, but I can't find much on the web. Any information about it will save me a lot of steps, and be appreciated.
There's someone on the Akai z4/z8/mpc4000 group that is having screens made. They are just about ready.
I had a z8 I sold to somone overseas and the screen was fine when I packed it, but after it arrived it had the lines going through it problem.

I had the person send the panel back and sent him my other one. When I got the bad one back, I took it apart and tried to slightly press/move that thin flat cable that connects the screen to the board. Apparently the glue/binder that holds it can weaken over time and the contacts start getting intermittent. You might try taking it apart again and using a hair dryer or heat gun and heating up the area where that ribbon connects.

My **temporary** solution for using a z8 while the panels were being shipped around the globe was to use the aksys program and bring up the front panel display. Slow and painful for sure, but better than nothing.

When I can get to Facebook, I'll grab the person's contact info (if you don't find it first).

nthall
Learning to Wiggle

Re: Akai Z8 with dead screen

Post by nthall » Thu Feb 13, 2020 12:54 pm

Thanks for the reply.

I've been using aksys. I have an old XP laptop just for the samplers. Better than nothing is a perfect description.

I took it to an LCD repair shop that has a machine that presses the ribbon back on with heat, and it just shriveled up. I should have tried it on my own, but I assumed the guy with the expensive machine knew how to use it. That was definitely the issue with mine though. If I put pressure on it, it got better temporarily.

I put it on the scope last night, and I'm pretty sure I can make a modern screen work with a microcontroller and some changes to the power supply. Fitting it into the faceplate might be tricky.

If someone already has a batch being made, I'd definitely buy one of those instead. I'd buy two so I could build a second controller too.

Return to “General Gear”