Drum Machine / Sampler / Sequencer / REAL drum sounds

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: lisa, Kent, Joe.

visionset
Learning to Wiggle

Drum Machine / Sampler / Sequencer / REAL drum sounds

Post by visionset » Thu Feb 13, 2020 7:39 am

Hi,
I am looking for
1/ General semi modular mon synth for learning and general capability.
2/ As per title, a drum machine / sampler / sequencer that does realistic drum sounds

So far I've narrowed this down to the Arturia minibrute 2S as that seems to tick most boxes in 1 & 2
I'm happy to accept I'll need 2 items.
I basically want the modern sequencer flexibility but not so interested in typical synthy drums.
Synth lead is fine, drums I'm not so happy with.

I'm a guitarist so that will cover lots of rhythm and lead bases in compositions.
I basically want to play on hardware with drum sequences. I suppose i can export to DAW and sub in other sounds, maybe that is the way to go.
I guess I want to spend £400 [£=$ :despair: ] and cover most bases above with a view to expanding when I'm happier this is how I want to spend my time.
Maybe the minibrute is the way to go.
I've a capable laptop and Logic Pro that I'm semi offay with, but I don't want to spend a ton of time on a laptop. Think that ideally would be for core DAW duties.

Soundwise, I'm after classic and modularesque blips etc for layering over guitar lead and rhythm. Talking Heads style electronic treatments I guess is the core of where I am at.

Anyway suggestions please. If you can decipher the vagueness and first faltering steps.

slicetwo
Common Wiggler

Re: Drum Machine / Sampler / Sequencer / REAL drum sounds

Post by slicetwo » Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:01 am

The Minibrute is the furthest thing from real drum sounds you can find. If you want real drum sounds, you'll need sampling, which the MB doesn't do. Consider perhaps the Digitakt, though it's def. above 400. You can load in real drum samples for your drums, and single cycle waveforms will allow for some synthesis. If you simply want some modular blips and bleeps, consider the Volca Modular as it's relatively cheap. You could also consider an iPad and a few apps if you don't mind the touchscreen. Plus, you'd have serious expansion abilities over time.
Radioactive Sandwich | Spotify | Bandcamp | Instagram

Digitone/0Coast/Octatrack MKII/VirusC/Fatman/iPad/FLStudio

Things for sale on Reverb

BenA718
Veteran Wiggler

Post by BenA718 » Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:04 am

You can't go far wrong with a MiniBrute, for sure, when it comes to learning the nuts and bolts of synthesis. However, 'real' drum sounds can only be had by actual drums, or samples of actual drums. You can sync the MiniBrute to your DAW and use that for drums, of course.

slumberjack
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by slumberjack » Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:11 am

I'd look for a used Elektron Model:Samples for around/below 300€ (ob by a new one from Thomann, they sell them with almost no margin).
You can put up to four bars for 6 voices/sounds together (and with trigger conditions you're able to leave this restriction behind) and there are 6 drum pads to record each sound in real time (quantized if you like). An then you buy a sample collection or maybe there's one the use from your DAW library.

If you don't like to work with the machine you still can use it as 6 track midi sequencer (to sequence a drum module like Clavia NordDrum) or put it up for sale.

It's a good entry level groovebox with really user friendly interface and wont break the bank for your first steps.

A minus is that there's no song mode and no time stretch option. There's a pattern chain function but it's in a volatile memory and time stretching is only required if you're planing to use drum breaks / loops - if you work with single drum sounds you're fine.

slicetwo
Common Wiggler

Post by slicetwo » Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:46 am

slumberjack wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:11 am
I'd look for a used Elektron Model:Samples for around/below 300€ (ob by a new one from Thomann, they sell them with almost no margin).
I always forget about the M:S as being a good suggestion for this. If you don't need all the bells and whistles of the DT, the M:S could be a great start.

slumberjack
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by slumberjack » Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:02 am

slicetwo wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:46 am
slumberjack wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:11 am
I always forget about the M:S as being a good suggestion for this. If you don't need all the bells and whistles of the DT, the M:S could be a great start.
I just did a remix or rearrangement of a song with the M:S this week while being on vacation. Overall a satisfying thing let alone it was the first try out with the machine but otoh I'm used to workflows with stuff like SU700, Cirklon, MonoMachine and others.

slicetwo
Common Wiggler

Post by slicetwo » Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:28 am

slumberjack wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:02 am
I just did a remix or rearrangement of a song with the M:S this week while being on vacation. Overall a satisfying thing let alone it was the first try out with the machine but otoh I'm used to workflows with stuff like SU700, Cirklon, MonoMachine and others.
Nice nice. I have the OT, which I love, so I'd never rock the M:S, but I'm glad to see it's more powerful than I originally thought. I gotta remember to recommend it more often.

slumberjack
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by slumberjack » Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:52 am

slicetwo wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:28 am
slumberjack wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:02 am
Nice nice. I have the OT, which I love, so I'd never rock the M:S, but I'm glad to see it's more powerful than I originally thought. I gotta remember to recommend it more often.
OT is still on my list. The M:S I got mainly for drums on stage as my collections doesn't involve a drum machine and am doing in the studio all percussion by myself, sometimes sample them on specific samplers which I don't like to take with me to shows anymore. For working with stems or groups the OT seems the best option.

Back on topic:

The new Roland MC-101 would be an entry level option too as well as the new MPC One and older (and with some say clumsy ui) products like the MPC 500 or 1000 are classics and to be found for not that much money.

RickKleffel
Wiggling with Experience

Post by RickKleffel » Thu Feb 13, 2020 1:32 pm

slumberjack wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:52 am
the new MPC One and older (and with some say clumsy ui) products like the MPC 500 or 1000 are classics and to be found for not that much money.

This; the MPC1000 offers sampling, a lot of great realistic samples already out there, an excellent sequencer....Definitely worth a look. The One has a bunch of stuff going I don't quite grok, but may be even better.

nthall
Learning to Wiggle

Post by nthall » Thu Feb 13, 2020 6:29 pm

MC-101, or an old rack mount sampler controlled by something like a beatstep. Samples are the best way to get a real drum sound, in my opinion. The MPCs are great too, but I think they're way overpriced right now. They end up costing even more once you start customizing them.

visionset
Learning to Wiggle

Post by visionset » Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:17 am

Thank you I will research all of these, get a bit closer to what I may purchase.
Ta

Return to “General Gear”