'Logic/Utility Box' for semi modulars

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: lisa, luketeaford, Kent, Joe.

Voltcontrol
Common Wiggler

'Logic/Utility Box' for semi modulars

Post by Voltcontrol » Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:41 am

Hi y'alls.

Is there a standalone 'Logic/Utility box' available to expand the capabilites of all the semi-modulars we can get our hands on now?
I mean something like the Make Noise Maths and some more utilites/logic/LFO's and potentially some currently modular-only stuff crammed into a standalone product.
Does something like that exist.

It should right?

naos
Common Wiggler

Re: 'Logic/Utility Box' for semi modulars

Post by naos » Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:50 am

plenty of things that should exist but don't.

chiasticon
Wiggling with Experience

Post by chiasticon » Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:53 am

years ago, I used to use the Moog CP-251 for this sort of thing. no logic, but you get attenuation, mixing, lfo, multiple, etc... got annoyed with the 1/4" to 3.5mm back and forth and bought similar modules to put into a Doepfer beauty case. today I would probably use a 4ms pod for the same.

but as far as I know, nothing otherwise exists for this. curious if others think of something.

BugBrand
Knowledge of Bugs

Post by BugBrand » Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:56 am

You'd probably be best putting together your own little box with something like a 4ms pod - though of course you then have to trawl & figure what to include from the overly wide range of eurorack options! Basically I think that designing something widely useful for many different users is always going to be hard.

PLNB
Common Wiggler

Post by PLNB » Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:20 pm

BugBrand wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:56 am
You'd probably be best putting together your own little box with something like a 4ms pod - though of course you then have to trawl & figure what to include from the overly wide range of eurorack options! Basically I think that designing something widely useful for many different users is always going to be hard.
Second this recommendation. 4ms also released deeper versions of their boxes to accommodate more modules. My "utility box" has a couple Casper modules, a time wizard, a couple mults, lpg, and a Simmons clone module that I swap with a maths when needed.

everydaycurry
Learning to Wiggle

Post by everydaycurry » Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:28 pm

You could build a palette with all this - but I think part of the idea would be a cost savings, just as semi-modulars are generally a good deal cheaper than the equivalent in modular components.

euromorcego
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by euromorcego » Sat Feb 15, 2020 6:50 am

Voltcontrol wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:41 am
I mean something like the Make Noise Maths and some more utilites/logic/LFO's and potentially some currently modular-only stuff crammed into a standalone product.

Does something like that exist. It should right?
why should it exist? And who want stuff "crammed" into something? MakeNoise Maths, utilities, logic and LFOs do all exist, the entire idea of modular is that you can pick and choose.

In any case, something like this actually does exist: for example the KOMA boxes: https://koma-elektronik.com/?product=fi ... -processor
Standalone, with a lot of utilities and effects.
Also something like the 0-coast can be used as a 'utility box, you even get an additional oscillator.

What does also exist are various small passive utilities that require no case, check Mystic Circuits https://www.mysticcircuits.com/#0hp

I also did myself a small passive extension thingy once, see attached figure ... but never really finished it (entirely passive, but you can add some mults, attenuators, switches, etc ... without needing space in a case).
nStandalone05.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

cs1729
Common Wiggler

Post by cs1729 » Sat Feb 15, 2020 7:22 am

I have been looking for something like this to go with an ms-20 for awhile. I was even prepared to get a small eurorack box, but there are so many modules I don't even want to begin looking. I would have just got the moog cp thing, but seems like they have gone up in price with the other pedals.

naos
Common Wiggler

Post by naos » Sat Feb 15, 2020 7:50 am

This is what I did : a 0-coast in a box with a bunch of cheap passive modules (2 mults, a double LPG, a mixer, a triple attenuator) and a DIY patchbay (15in/15out). The hardest part was the woodwork.
https://ibb.co/Phbd5GM

TheRosskonian
Veteran Wiggler

Post by TheRosskonian » Sun Feb 16, 2020 4:53 pm

A couple of options to add to the list:

The discontinued Roland Aria FX boxes have a ton of functionality under the hood if you connect them with a PC or tablet.

Empress Effects Zoia announced a Eurorack version of thier pedal with more patch points. Waiting on this one to pair with semi-modulars myself.

Return to “General Gear”