Still looking for my PPG...

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

Blairio
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Still looking for my PPG...

Post by Blairio » Thu Mar 19, 2020 9:41 pm

oldgearguy wrote:
Sat Mar 07, 2020 6:29 pm
galaxiesmerge wrote:
Sat Mar 07, 2020 3:51 pm
@oldgearguy Well, well, well!!! Just as I thought I would never see another PPG Wave 2.3 with all the updates, there was your PPG Wave 2.3 which I can now happily say I will be the new proud owner :). The great part is that since we live in the area it will be available if you need it for something. And it will be in very good company. Thanks so much for putting it on sale!
I will be sad when I drop it off, but I know it's going to be living in a good studio. :tu:
To paraphrase Sting (and how often does he get a mention on Muffs')

If you love a keyboard, set it free....

syncretism
Morbidly self-aware and liking it

Post by syncretism » Thu Mar 19, 2020 10:13 pm

Sir Ruff wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 11:08 am
syncretism wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 1:41 am
I gather you want polyphony, but if a monophonic solution works for you, there’s always the Momowave, designed by Paula Maddox, who probably knows more about the Wolfgang Palm approach to wavetable synthesis than just about anyone. It’s available again in kit form, it seems:

https://elby-designs.com/contents/en-us/d9.html
Monowave, like the Modal 02, isn't really a good replacement since there is now wave modulation.
Huh. That's a surprise. I never owned an OG Monowave, but the Monowave 2 (if you recall the SoundArt Chameleon) definitely had oscillator parameters as modulation destinations.

Blairio
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Blairio » Thu Mar 19, 2020 10:30 pm

The new (and soon to be released in the UK) Korg Wavestate has 2gb of wavetables and samples, plus layers of modulation to keep you going for days. The original Wavestation AD had 2mb of wavetables and sounded like nothing before. The recent Sound On Sound has a good review of the Wavestate.

Tonefloat01
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Tonefloat01 » Thu Mar 19, 2020 10:39 pm

Get a Monowave :guinness:
The space you occupy determines the time that you live in.

Sir Ruff
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Sir Ruff » Fri Mar 20, 2020 12:12 am

syncretism wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 10:13 pm
Huh. That's a surprise. I never owned an OG Monowave, but the Monowave 2 (if you recall the SoundArt Chameleon) definitely had oscillator parameters as modulation destinations.
I've never heard of the monowave 2! The Elby version is the Monowave X or something, but still doesn't have wave modulation parameters. Not finding any other versions unless you can point me to it?

syncretism
Morbidly self-aware and liking it

Post by syncretism » Fri Mar 20, 2020 12:20 am

Ha. Allow me to introduce you to your next rare find:

http://chameleon.synth.net/english/index.shtml

Sir Ruff
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Sir Ruff » Fri Mar 20, 2020 11:43 am

syncretism wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 12:20 am

interesting! looks both rare and dated :)

doombient.music
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by doombient.music » Fri Mar 20, 2020 3:02 pm

syncretism wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 12:20 am

It looks like Behringer's chief industrial designer had a go at it.

Stephen

dopefiend
Likes SHOUTING!

Post by dopefiend » Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:37 am

I have owned a PPG before, but found it flimsy and prone to breaking. Got rid of it when I got the Waldorf Wave, which sounds bigger and as crunchy/dirty as the PPG, if you’re into that kind of shit.
Noisemakers: Maracas. Squeaky shoes. Bean-induced flatulence.
An oncologist is like The Lone Ranger: he is chemo savvy.

oldgearguy
Wiggling with Experience

Post by oldgearguy » Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:49 am

dopefiend wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:37 am
I have owned a PPG before, but found it flimsy and prone to breaking. Got rid of it when I got the Waldorf Wave, which sounds bigger and as crunchy/dirty as the PPG, if you’re into that kind of shit.
I guess it depends. I had a PPG for almost 30 years. Put in new key bushings and a VFD to get rid of the backlight whine. Other than that, a couple minor repairs to cards and it had been a solid, dependable machine.

The two Waves I had needed work on the mechanicals - tact switches not triggering reliably, pots needed replacing, hydraulic shocks needed replacing (more than once over the years at $100+ a pop) and of course swapping out the floppy drive for a USB replacement and finally the very very delicate paint job that flaked off easily.

As far as the sound goes, both sounded great but different. The Wave absolutely could not match the PPG's unique sound when you started applying resonance and playing outside the middle octaves with a wavetable sweep. Of course I only owned two Waves for maybe 15 years so maybe I never quite figured out how to match the PPG's sound.

Neo
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Neo » Sat Mar 28, 2020 6:34 pm

The PPG 2.2 is 8 bit and it doesn't have reconstruction filtering. So while it's not the same kind of aliasing as using a fixed sampling frequency on playback and skipping or interpolating samples, it still introduces a ton of "wrong" frequencies. These extra frequencies track beautifully with the pitch due to the continuous playback clock frequency, and due to the 8 bit resolution they are relatively loud. I never had a PPG myself but I have a Greengate DS3 which made similarly mental noise, especially when playing samples back an octave or two down. I've been planning on making an 8 voice sampler that works the same way as the PPG 2.2 but haven't had time. Wouldn't be difficult to build with current technology.

Return to “General Gear”