Polyend Tracker

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

User avatar
Heavy Metal Kid
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 358
Joined: Thu Dec 27, 2012 2:59 am

Re: Polyend teaser : sampling groovebox?

Post by Heavy Metal Kid » Thu Mar 05, 2020 4:41 pm

Looking forward to seeing how this works.

User avatar
Gribs
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1336
Joined: Sun Jan 10, 2010 12:19 am
Location: San Ramon, CA

Re: Polyend teaser : sampling groovebox?

Post by Gribs » Fri Mar 06, 2020 1:16 am

Hmm, my initial impression is “meh,” which of course means that a year or two after its release I will own one.
----------------------------------------

User avatar
anselmi
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 4003
Joined: Mon Aug 24, 2009 8:08 pm

Re: Polyend teaser : sampling groovebox?

Post by anselmi » Fri Mar 06, 2020 1:24 am

really guys?
what is so great about trackers?

I used them in my Amiga days back in late 80s/early 90s but this was because this was my only resource to sequence stuff

what could be good in today´s state of technology to use a tracker? and from a company that have pretty good sequencers...I don´t get it

the only things I could think about are nostalgia, novelty or snobbery...please enlight me :despair: I really want to like it

User avatar
Bobby
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 488
Joined: Sun Feb 16, 2014 3:24 pm
Location: avoiding Muff's for a bit

Re: Polyend teaser : sampling groovebox?

Post by Bobby » Fri Mar 06, 2020 3:01 am

Trackers rock, especially if you enjoy jungle/breakcore. My favourite way to sequence on a computer


for me its the integration of sampling and sequencing in one place that make it fun. kinda like why a 303 is fun. the idea i could do tracking on the couch tickles my G i must say.

User avatar
anselmi
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 4003
Joined: Mon Aug 24, 2009 8:08 pm

Re: Polyend teaser : sampling groovebox?

Post by anselmi » Fri Mar 06, 2020 12:18 pm

Bobby wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 3:01 am
Trackers rock, especially if you enjoy jungle/breakcore. My favourite way to sequence on a computer
OK, I´m not into this styles...maybe this is the reason I don´t understand them
which trackers´features are better than a "normal" step sequencer for this kind of music?
Bobby wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 3:01 am
for me its the integration of sampling and sequencing in one place that make it fun. kinda like why a 303 is fun. the idea i could do tracking on the couch tickles my G i must say.
I like this kind of concept too, but why do you preffer the tracker interface over, say, the digitakt way of sequencer/sampling integration?

User avatar
Bobby
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 488
Joined: Sun Feb 16, 2014 3:24 pm
Location: avoiding Muff's for a bit

Re: Polyend teaser : sampling groovebox?

Post by Bobby » Fri Mar 06, 2020 4:44 pm

anselmi wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 12:18 pm
Bobby wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 3:01 am
Trackers rock, especially if you enjoy jungle/breakcore. My favourite way to sequence on a computer
OK, I´m not into this styles...maybe this is the reason I don´t understand them
which trackers´features are better than a "normal" step sequencer for this kind of music?
Bobby wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 3:01 am
for me its the integration of sampling and sequencing in one place that make it fun. kinda like why a 303 is fun. the idea i could do tracking on the couch tickles my G i must say.
I like this kind of concept too, but why do you preffer the tracker interface over, say, the digitakt way of sequencer/sampling integration?
Every interface is different. None are better, none are worse. Some lend themselves to certain things and have therefore shaped the way certain music sounds. So 303s kinda made acid what it was. Trackers kinda made jungle what it was. I like trackers as it's where I started, so i guess is familiar to me , making this exciting to me.

22tape
Ultra Wiggler
Posts: 984
Joined: Mon Jul 07, 2008 1:59 pm
Location: Yer mammy's dusty vibraphone

Re: Polyend teaser : sampling groovebox?

Post by 22tape » Sat Mar 07, 2020 3:08 am

All other purchases on hold. Including food.

:hail:

22tape
Ultra Wiggler
Posts: 984
Joined: Mon Jul 07, 2008 1:59 pm
Location: Yer mammy's dusty vibraphone

Re: Polyend teaser : sampling groovebox?

Post by 22tape » Sat Mar 07, 2020 3:36 am

anselmi wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 1:24 am
please enlight me :despair: I really want to like it
I reached a point back in the day where I couldn't even stand to look at linear sequencers, so I turned to trackers. For me, it was really fun to learn since I was fascinated by it at the same time. It was a whole new way to compose and arrange.

But yeah, you have to want to learn it, that's for sure. But once you do, it's a ridiculously quick and fun way to work, with tons of control.

If those rows of white pads can also be used as a qwerty keyboard :omg:

Karl_Joseph
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 421
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:30 pm
Location: Minneapolis

Re: Polyend teaser : sampling groovebox?

Post by Karl_Joseph » Sat Mar 07, 2020 8:47 am

Does it sample? And I mean actually sample with inputs to record samples? Or is it just a sample player? Or is it just a tracker that doesn’t generate any sound?
- KARL

User avatar
slumberjack
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1302
Joined: Sat Jun 13, 2015 2:27 am
Location: 44G
Contact:

Re: Polyend teaser : sampling groovebox?

Post by slumberjack » Sat Mar 07, 2020 9:31 am

Bobby wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 7:03 am
anselmi wrote:
Thu Feb 27, 2020 6:23 pm
Bobby wrote:
Wed Feb 26, 2020 5:29 pm
Pritchard D Jams
:hmm:

old piss flaps himself: Bradley Strider.
I'm always wondering if it's RDJ is his real name because it's so close to Richard H. Kirk which must be an huge influence to him.

Curious about this Polyend thing.

User avatar
Bobby
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 488
Joined: Sun Feb 16, 2014 3:24 pm
Location: avoiding Muff's for a bit

Re: Polyend teaser : sampling groovebox?

Post by Bobby » Sat Mar 07, 2020 11:06 am

slumberjack wrote:
Sat Mar 07, 2020 9:31 am
Bobby wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 7:03 am
anselmi wrote:
Thu Feb 27, 2020 6:23 pm
Bobby wrote:
Wed Feb 26, 2020 5:29 pm
Pritchard D Jams
:hmm:

old piss flaps himself: Bradley Strider.
I'm always wondering if it's RDJ is his real name because it's so close to Richard H. Kirk which must be an huge influence to him.

Curious about this Polyend thing.
Haha that'd be class!

User avatar
(((EMP)))
Common Wiggler
Posts: 61
Joined: Sat Oct 19, 2019 9:38 pm
Location: Chromosphere

Re: Polyend teaser : sampling groovebox?

Post by (((EMP))) » Sat Mar 07, 2020 11:11 am

This had me pretty exited until I found out it was a tracker. The design is gorgeous, but I’ve never been a fan of trackers. I’ve tried. Definitely powerful and fast if you’re so inclined. But all I see when look at a tracker is.....

Image


:omg:

miminashi
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 305
Joined: Tue Aug 19, 2008 3:14 pm
Location: SLC, Utah

Re: Polyend teaser : sampling groovebox?

Post by miminashi » Sat Mar 07, 2020 1:46 pm

(((EMP))) wrote:
Sat Mar 07, 2020 11:11 am
This had me pretty exited until I found out it was a tracker. The design is gorgeous, but I’ve never been a fan of trackers. I’ve tried. Definitely powerful and fast if you’re so inclined. But all I see when look at a tracker is.....

Image


:omg:
What do you have against blondes, brunettes, and redheads?

Looks pretty sweet to me. I'd say the MPC-style niche is fairly well covered, so I'm happy to see something different. Hopefully it has decent I/O and a solid engine.

22tape
Ultra Wiggler
Posts: 984
Joined: Mon Jul 07, 2008 1:59 pm
Location: Yer mammy's dusty vibraphone

Re: Polyend teaser : sampling groovebox?

Post by 22tape » Sat Mar 07, 2020 4:22 pm

Karl_Joseph wrote:
Sat Mar 07, 2020 8:47 am
Does it sample? And I mean actually sample with inputs to record samples? Or is it just a sample player? Or is it just a tracker that doesn’t generate any sound?
If it doesn't sample, and it's just a sample player, it's a huge miss. I have a hard time believing that will be the case though.

Trackers are sequencers, they don't generate sound. You have to assign instruments :)

User avatar
Bobby
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 488
Joined: Sun Feb 16, 2014 3:24 pm
Location: avoiding Muff's for a bit

Re: Polyend teaser : sampling groovebox?

Post by Bobby » Sat Mar 07, 2020 5:18 pm

22tape wrote:
Sat Mar 07, 2020 4:22 pm
Karl_Joseph wrote:
Sat Mar 07, 2020 8:47 am
Does it sample? And I mean actually sample with inputs to record samples? Or is it just a sample player? Or is it just a tracker that doesn’t generate any sound?
If it doesn't sample, and it's just a sample player, it's a huge miss. I have a hard time believing that will be the case though.

Trackers are sequencers, they don't generate sound. You have to assign instruments :)
Where were you in '92? :)

User avatar
bnek
Common Wiggler
Posts: 99
Joined: Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:57 pm

Re: Polyend teaser : sampling groovebox?

Post by bnek » Sat Mar 07, 2020 6:06 pm

The last two teasers show sampling & midi sequencing; from the video description: "Teasing, teasing! Yes, it is slick, it has a nice big knob, and yes it can sample too :) More details in March, stay tuned." So seems safe to assume it will at least have line ins & midi i/o.

22tape
Ultra Wiggler
Posts: 984
Joined: Mon Jul 07, 2008 1:59 pm
Location: Yer mammy's dusty vibraphone

Re: Polyend teaser : sampling groovebox?

Post by 22tape » Sat Mar 07, 2020 7:04 pm

Bobby wrote:
Sat Mar 07, 2020 5:18 pm
22tape wrote:
Sat Mar 07, 2020 4:22 pm
Karl_Joseph wrote:
Sat Mar 07, 2020 8:47 am
Does it sample? And I mean actually sample with inputs to record samples? Or is it just a sample player? Or is it just a tracker that doesn’t generate any sound?
If it doesn't sample, and it's just a sample player, it's a huge miss. I have a hard time believing that will be the case though.

Trackers are sequencers, they don't generate sound. You have to assign instruments :)
Where were you in '92? :)
Sophomore year in high school trying to get laid. Why? :)

22tape
Ultra Wiggler
Posts: 984
Joined: Mon Jul 07, 2008 1:59 pm
Location: Yer mammy's dusty vibraphone

Re: Polyend teaser : sampling groovebox?

Post by 22tape » Sat Mar 07, 2020 7:14 pm

Maybe you're referring to the SID chip? I'd still distinguish a synth engine from the sequencing paradigm.
Last edited by 22tape on Sat Mar 07, 2020 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
onthebandwagon
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1431
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:53 am
Location: jersey

Re: Polyend teaser : sampling groovebox?

Post by onthebandwagon » Sat Mar 07, 2020 7:15 pm

As the article stated “This secret new device is a comprehensive audio workstation, apparently including an integrated sampler, synthesizer and FM radio.”
“no matter how fine you grind the dead meat, you’ll not bring it to life again“

User avatar
RickKleffel
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 290
Joined: Sat Nov 04, 2017 9:39 pm

Re: Polyend teaser : sampling groovebox?

Post by RickKleffel » Sun Mar 08, 2020 12:49 am

onthebandwagon wrote:
Sat Mar 07, 2020 7:15 pm
As the article stated “This secret new device is a comprehensive audio workstation, apparently including an integrated sampler, synthesizer and FM radio.”
Damn. I was losing interest, but an FM radio? Holger Czukay land here I come!

User avatar
Bobby
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 488
Joined: Sun Feb 16, 2014 3:24 pm
Location: avoiding Muff's for a bit

Re: Polyend teaser : sampling groovebox?

Post by Bobby » Sun Mar 08, 2020 4:20 am

22tape wrote:
Sat Mar 07, 2020 7:04 pm
Bobby wrote:
Sat Mar 07, 2020 5:18 pm
22tape wrote:
Sat Mar 07, 2020 4:22 pm
Karl_Joseph wrote:
Sat Mar 07, 2020 8:47 am
Does it sample? And I mean actually sample with inputs to record samples? Or is it just a sample player? Or is it just a tracker that doesn’t generate any sound?
If it doesn't sample, and it's just a sample player, it's a huge miss. I have a hard time believing that will be the case though.

Trackers are sequencers, they don't generate sound. You have to assign instruments :)
Where were you in '92? :)
Sophomore year in high school trying to get laid. Why? :)
Trackers back then, like protracker on the Amiga, were pretty much sample players. You could do some midi but a lot of people just started out using them to play samples. Was a shit load of fun..
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

User avatar
Bobby
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 488
Joined: Sun Feb 16, 2014 3:24 pm
Location: avoiding Muff's for a bit

Re: Polyend teaser : sampling groovebox?

Post by Bobby » Sun Mar 08, 2020 4:21 am

I didn't get laid much as a kid tho lol

User avatar
onthebandwagon
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1431
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:53 am
Location: jersey

Re: Polyend teaser : sampling groovebox?

Post by onthebandwagon » Sun Mar 08, 2020 8:20 am

RickKleffel wrote:
Sun Mar 08, 2020 12:49 am
onthebandwagon wrote:
Sat Mar 07, 2020 7:15 pm
As the article stated “This secret new device is a comprehensive audio workstation, apparently including an integrated sampler, synthesizer and FM radio.”
Damn. I was losing interest, but an FM radio? Holger Czukay land here I come!
I read that it also can make an amazing frittata.
“no matter how fine you grind the dead meat, you’ll not bring it to life again“

User avatar
Ruiner
Common Wiggler
Posts: 153
Joined: Tue Feb 07, 2017 9:40 am

Re: Polyend teaser : sampling groovebox?

Post by Ruiner » Wed Mar 11, 2020 7:57 am

This just got me REAL excited:


TS
Common Wiggler
Posts: 106
Joined: Mon Jun 26, 2017 11:38 am

Re: Polyend teaser : sampling groovebox?

Post by TS » Wed Mar 11, 2020 11:58 pm


Post Reply

Return to “General Gear”