Polyend Tracker

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, lisa

VanEck
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Polyend Tracker

Post by VanEck » Mon Oct 19, 2020 12:52 pm

The Junglechrist wrote:
Mon Oct 19, 2020 11:17 am
Hey there folks ! I have uploaded a new "tips and tricks" video inspired by a question from bradclay about sequencing acid bassline type synthesizer with Tracker :

Very nice. I was curious about acid sequencing as well, and that was awesome and informative. Thank you.
DISHEVELED -- PROMETHEUS BURNING -- FOUR PI MOVEMENT

SysEx Dumpster podcast - modular, gear, and other garbage

bradclay
Common Wiggler

Post by bradclay » Wed Oct 21, 2020 8:11 pm

The Junglechrist wrote:
Mon Oct 19, 2020 11:17 am
Hey there folks ! I have uploaded a new "tips and tricks" video inspired by a question from bradclay about sequencing acid bassline type synthesizer with Tracker :

:sb: thank you!
What’s worse than raining cats and dogs?

Hailing taxi cabs.

The Junglechrist
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by The Junglechrist » Fri Oct 23, 2020 12:10 am

More acid jungle right here :

also the new official firmware is here : https://polyend.com/wp-content/uploads/ ... te_1_2.pdf

The Junglechrist
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by The Junglechrist » Fri Oct 23, 2020 10:11 am

New frmware celebration jam !

bradclay
Common Wiggler

Post by bradclay » Fri Oct 23, 2020 12:35 pm

Hi...:so how do you rename the individual tracks? I’ve pressed about every combination of buttons and haven’t figured it out yet. :bang:

Hailing taxi cabs.

Heavy Metal Kid
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Heavy Metal Kid » Fri Oct 23, 2020 12:45 pm

bradclay wrote:
Fri Oct 23, 2020 12:35 pm
Hi...:so how do you rename the individual tracks? I’ve pressed about every combination of buttons and haven’t figured it out yet. :bang:
Press Master 2x
Press Record -> "edit" lights up in red for each track
Press Edit for the track you want to rename

bradclay
Common Wiggler

Post by bradclay » Fri Oct 23, 2020 12:45 pm

Heavy Metal Kid wrote:
Fri Oct 23, 2020 12:45 pm
bradclay wrote:
Fri Oct 23, 2020 12:35 pm
Press Master 2x
Press Record -> "edit" lights up in red for each track
Press Edit for the track you want to rename
Just found it on lines. Thank you! :sb:

Hailing taxi cabs.

Nelson Baboon
droolmaster0

Post by Nelson Baboon » Fri Oct 23, 2020 6:54 pm

so, i apologize for the vaguess of the question...i guess i'm just looking for an excuse to try one of these.

I've never used a tracker, and had no interest in this, but keep on running into videos of people who started with similar preconceptions, and then found that it could be an interesting way of sampling and then mangling samples in a sequence in different sorts of ways than with the usual suspects. Hell, I have this 9 string violin and I'm imagining that this thing would be great fun with it.

Any dissenters?

22tape
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by 22tape » Fri Oct 23, 2020 7:38 pm

Go for it! Trackers are great for happy accidents. If you've never used a tracker, and aren't sure if you'd get along with it, you could always just download Sunvox or Renoise and see if you click with the tracker sequencing paradigm before buying PE's Tracker.

These are also incoming--

https://dirtywave.com/
https://xor-electronics.com/nerdseq-portable/

They have better specs than PE's Tracker, but you might prefer PE's hardware design, which is friggen gorgeous methinks.

Personally, I passed on PE's Tracker for now-- with the low track count (mono) and fx columns, and small sample memory (at least for what I do), and since I don't need it as a MIDI sequencer, it'd end up being more of a sketchpad for me. And I can't afford/don't need another sketchpad. That said, I still have my fingers crossed that they'll "unlock" SD streaming at some point.

And can I say that PE should have went with a better name than Tracker for a tracker? It makes talking about it in relation to other trackers a real PITA. At least they named their sequencer Seq instead of Sequencer :hihi:

Roy72
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Roy72 » Fri Oct 23, 2020 8:40 pm

I'd never used a tracker before and find it much easier to navigate than the Digitakt I used to have. it's not really that complex once you get into it. I reckon give it a go.

Nelson Baboon
droolmaster0

Post by Nelson Baboon » Fri Oct 23, 2020 8:46 pm

didn't see a used one at a discount anywhere....would definitely have snapped it up. close to pulling the trigger....

22tape
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by 22tape » Fri Oct 23, 2020 8:55 pm

Nelson Baboon wrote:
Fri Oct 23, 2020 8:46 pm
didn't see a used one at a discount anywhere....would definitely have snapped it up. close to pulling the trigger....
:tu:

The Junglechrist
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by The Junglechrist » Sat Oct 24, 2020 12:07 am

Nelson Baboon wrote:
Fri Oct 23, 2020 6:54 pm
so, i apologize for the vaguess of the question...i guess i'm just looking for an excuse to try one of these.

I've never used a tracker, and had no interest in this, but keep on running into videos of people who started with similar preconceptions, and then found that it could be an interesting way of sampling and then mangling samples in a sequence in different sorts of ways than with the usual suspects. Hell, I have this 9 string violin and I'm imagining that this thing would be great fun with it.

Any dissenters?
Indeed it's a great "sample & destroy" tool, very easy to learn even if you never used a tracker before (I had used Renoise for a month in my life in 2009 before I got my hands on one of those and it tool me 20 minutes to get a track started).

DigitalNativeDunce
Common Wiggler

Post by DigitalNativeDunce » Sat Oct 24, 2020 12:54 am

I have also never used a tracker before getting one - I seem to be getting along with it well, it's a good way to visualise what sample, note and processing is happening on each step.

Roy72
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Roy72 » Sat Oct 24, 2020 2:43 am

One thing I'm having trouble with is sending a note off message to external synths - I tried CUT and OFF, but neither seems to do the job. I can set the synth to a simple AD envelope an get one per new note, but it would be good to have controlled sustain. Any ideas, or is gate length control not achievable with Tracker?

rplktr
Common Wiggler

Post by rplktr » Sat Oct 24, 2020 4:01 am

While CUT and FAD will not work for MIDI since they operate on the volume, OFF will do the job if the previous note on the track was using a MIDI instrument.
Procrastination is the soul rebelling against entrapment.

Roy72
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Roy72 » Sat Oct 24, 2020 5:20 am

^That works thanks, must be something with one of my synths though because it doesn't always like it, seems to hang every now and then.

mome rath
a dubious cube of margarine

Post by mome rath » Sat Oct 24, 2020 1:14 pm

is there any swing/shuffle function yet? can't find it if so
soundcloud, dear friends

good trader cred
instagraM
guest wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 2:45 pm
basically, as the dude put it "no walter, youre not wrong, youre just an asshole".
zoogoo wrote: your stupid

Nelson Baboon
droolmaster0

Post by Nelson Baboon » Sat Oct 24, 2020 1:29 pm

i will try to articulate my doubts in a way that maybe someone can address.....
what has most impressed me from various videos is how you can take a short sample or samples, slice it up in various ways, manipulate it, etc, and use the tracker interface (i confess that maybe because i've never actually used it, somewhat captivates me with its vertical movement) to make interesting sequences of sounds from simple components.

Maybe (aside from the tracker type interface), one might describe the octatrack in such a way. But I HATED the octatrack. I don't want to memorize loads of unmnemonic keystrokes and menus that I will forget if I don't use the instrument for a couple of weeks, and then try to find the answer to my question in a rather unhelpful manual. How would you describe the basic difference in experience to something like the Octatrack? I suppose that, similarly, I liked the concept of the octatrack, and I also similarly i had people telling me that it was quite a fun experience......

sorry if the question is dumb. I'm dumb.

mome rath

Post by mome rath » Sat Oct 24, 2020 2:05 pm

Nelson Baboon wrote:
Sat Oct 24, 2020 1:29 pm
what has most impressed me from various videos is how you can take a short sample or samples, slice it up in various ways, manipulate it, etc, and use the tracker interface (i confess that maybe because i've never actually used it, somewhat captivates me with its vertical movement) to make interesting sequences of sounds from simple components.

Maybe (aside from the tracker type interface), one might describe the octatrack in such a way. But I HATED the octatrack. I don't want to memorize loads of unmnemonic keystrokes and menus that I will forget if I don't use the instrument for a couple of weeks, and then try to find the answer to my question in a rather unhelpful manual. How would you describe the basic difference in experience to something like the Octatrack? I suppose that, similarly, I liked the concept of the octatrack, and I also similarly i had people telling me that it was quite a fun experience......

I'm a huge elektron fanboy and I also abhorred the OT.. this is so much better. OT was so oblique that I couldn't even figure out how to record a sample even while following along with the Youtube videos. I hated that machine with a thousand fiery passions.

So, about using samples in a tracker interface like this: you load a list of samples from directories in the machine, and once you've assembled this list, you can place them in the pattern layout (next bit below).

You put your junk in columns, so you can't do a chord in a single column unless the sample is already a chord. Otherwise you use at least 3 of the columns. In each column (8 total), using either the wheel or the button pad, you enter:
- a note
- a sample, corresponding to the number in the list you assembled
- 2 flexible FX slots, one each has its own colored button

You can look up the laundry list of effects, but they're things like Roll, reverse, position (like scanning a chopped wave, values are 1-100 so if you want to consider a 1 bar sample in 16ths then the quarters are @ 25, right) for glitchy stuff, and then filters, delay/reverb sends, a variety of LFOs, etc. That you can easily change the sample number at each step of the grid across 8 columns allows you to go absolutely psychotic on both one hits in sequence or a sample that you can stretch and mangle* (see stazma's breakcore and jungle vids)

*once you have a pattern assembled you can export that whole thing back into your sample list and blast the hell out of it in a single column, like bouncing tracks on a tape machine.

So far, I've only done this using the machine itself and not explored the MIDI functions. To enter this stuff, you use the record button and you can scroll the wheel to hear what's happening at each step as you change any parameter using the above color-coded buttons.
soundcloud, dear friends

good trader cred
instagraM
guest wrote:
basically, as the dude put it "no walter, youre not wrong, youre just an asshole".

rplktr
Common Wiggler

Post by rplktr » Sat Oct 24, 2020 3:54 pm

Excellent explanation, mome rath.
Procrastination is the soul rebelling against entrapment.

mome rath

Post by mome rath » Sat Oct 24, 2020 5:09 pm

rplktr wrote:
Sat Oct 24, 2020 3:54 pm
Excellent explanation, mome rath.
hey thanks duder :love:
soundcloud, dear friends

good trader cred
instagraM
guest wrote:

Nelson Baboon
droolmaster0

Post by Nelson Baboon » Sat Oct 24, 2020 5:18 pm

thank you! you know, one can never really know from demos and manuals, etc, whether one will really bond with an instrument. I might not.

but I'm pretty sure that I will spring for one of these. I doubt I'll find one used, so I guess I'll just find one new. If anyone knows of somewhere that they know will give me a discount, shoot me a pm, I guess.
mome rath wrote:
Sat Oct 24, 2020 2:05 pm
Nelson Baboon wrote:
Sat Oct 24, 2020 1:29 pm

I'm a huge elektron fanboy and I also abhorred the OT.. this is so much better. OT was so oblique that I couldn't even figure out how to record a sample even while following along with the Youtube videos. I hated that machine with a thousand fiery passions.

So, about using samples in a tracker interface like this: you load a list of samples from directories in the machine, and once you've assembled this list, you can place them in the pattern layout (next bit below).

You put your junk in columns, so you can't do a chord in a single column unless the sample is already a chord. Otherwise you use at least 3 of the columns. In each column (8 total), using either the wheel or the button pad, you enter:
- a note
- a sample, corresponding to the number in the list you assembled
- 2 flexible FX slots, one each has its own colored button

You can look up the laundry list of effects, but they're things like Roll, reverse, position (like scanning a chopped wave, values are 1-100 so if you want to consider a 1 bar sample in 16ths then the quarters are @ 25, right) for glitchy stuff, and then filters, delay/reverb sends, a variety of LFOs, etc. That you can easily change the sample number at each step of the grid across 8 columns allows you to go absolutely psychotic on both one hits in sequence or a sample that you can stretch and mangle* (see stazma's breakcore and jungle vids)

*once you have a pattern assembled you can export that whole thing back into your sample list and blast the hell out of it in a single column, like bouncing tracks on a tape machine.

So far, I've only done this using the machine itself and not explored the MIDI functions. To enter this stuff, you use the record button and you can scroll the wheel to hear what's happening at each step as you change any parameter using the above color-coded buttons.

mome rath

Post by mome rath » Sat Oct 24, 2020 6:16 pm

Nelson Baboon wrote:
Sat Oct 24, 2020 5:18 pm
thank you! you know, one can never really know from demos and manuals, etc, whether one will really bond with an instrument. I might not.

but I'm pretty sure that I will spring for one of these. I doubt I'll find one used, so I guess I'll just find one new. If anyone knows of somewhere that they know will give me a discount, shoot me a pm, I guess.
i spent almost a decade using Jeskola Buzz so the interface was intuitive, but I think the layout they used should be relatively quick for anyone after an evening of fiddling

I just can't seem to find out how to add swing.. maybe in a future update
soundcloud, dear friends

good trader cred
instagraM
guest wrote:

Nelson Baboon
droolmaster0

Post by Nelson Baboon » Sat Oct 24, 2020 6:22 pm

mome rath wrote:
Sat Oct 24, 2020 6:16 pm
Nelson Baboon wrote:
Sat Oct 24, 2020 5:18 pm

i spent almost a decade using Jeskola Buzz so the interface was intuitive, but I think the layout they used should be relatively quick for anyone after an evening of fiddling

do you mean that literally?

Return to “General Gear”