Polyend Tracker

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, lisa

mome rath
a dubious cube of margarine

Re: Polyend Tracker

Post by mome rath » Sat Oct 24, 2020 7:25 pm

Nelson Baboon wrote:
Sat Oct 24, 2020 6:22 pm
mome rath wrote:
Sat Oct 24, 2020 6:16 pm
Nelson Baboon wrote:
Sat Oct 24, 2020 5:18 pm
thank you! you know, one can never really know from demos and manuals, etc, whether one will really bond with an instrument. I might not.

but I'm pretty sure that I will spring for one of these. I doubt I'll find one used, so I guess I'll just find one new. If anyone knows of somewhere that they know will give me a discount, shoot me a pm, I guess.
i spent almost a decade using Jeskola Buzz so the interface was intuitive, but I think the layout they used should be relatively quick for anyone after an evening of fiddling

do you mean that literally?

absolutely, the interface is great and it comes (came?) loaded with a boatload of one-shots and loops to get you started

some of the loops are labeled with the BPM (check stazma's banks), so you can set your tempo accordingly to get familiarized with how the time-based FX work, with a good idea of the granularity that 16 steps should give you
soundcloud, dear friends

good trader cred
instagraM
guest wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 2:45 pm
basically, as the dude put it "no walter, youre not wrong, youre just an asshole".
zoogoo wrote: your stupid

Nelson Baboon
droolmaster0

Post by Nelson Baboon » Sat Oct 24, 2020 7:30 pm

mome rath wrote:
Sat Oct 24, 2020 7:25 pm
Nelson Baboon wrote:
mome rath wrote:
Nelson Baboon wrote:
thank you! you know, one can never really know from demos and manuals, etc, whether one will really bond with an instrument. I might not.

but I'm pretty sure that I will spring for one of these. I doubt I'll find one used, so I guess I'll just find one new. If anyone knows of somewhere that they know will give me a discount, shoot me a pm, I guess.
i spent almost a decade using Jeskola Buzz so the interface was intuitive, but I think the layout they used should be relatively quick for anyone after an evening of fiddling

absolutely, the interface is great and it comes (came?) loaded with a boatload of one-shots and loops to get you started

some of the loops are labeled with the BPM (check stazma's banks), so you can set your tempo accordingly to get familiarized with how the time-based FX work, with a good idea of what 16 steps should give you
sorry - little joke because I'm literally a fiddler.....

i found a factory second an placed my order. 2 day shipping was just $6 extra, so this is supposed to arrive on Wednesday.

mome rath

Post by mome rath » Sat Oct 24, 2020 8:13 pm

Nelson Baboon wrote:
Sat Oct 24, 2020 7:30 pm
mome rath wrote:
Sat Oct 24, 2020 7:25 pm
Nelson Baboon wrote:
mome rath wrote:
Nelson Baboon wrote:

some of the loops are labeled with the BPM (check stazma's banks), so you can set your tempo accordingly to get familiarized with how the time-based FX work, with a good idea of what 16 steps should give you
sorry - little joke because I'm literally a fiddler.....

i found a factory second an placed my order. 2 day shipping was just $6 extra, so this is supposed to arrive on Wednesday.
oh right

i'm not that quick because i'm literally a caveman
soundcloud, dear friends

good trader cred
instagraM
guest wrote:
basically, as the dude put it "no walter, youre not wrong, youre just an asshole".

skkatter
Veteran Wiggler

Post by skkatter » Sat Oct 24, 2020 8:30 pm

The Junglechrist wrote:
Fri Oct 23, 2020 10:11 am
New frmware celebration jam !
What is your connection with Polyend? It seems like they basically gave away a load of units to people in return for them all to post glowing reviews / posts / new positive videos every time they update the firmware.

I also have a Polyend Tracker but I bought it myself without any deal with them and I can't help but notice that they have yet to fix the 15ms midi clock latency bug that I reported to them three months ago. (bug has been confirmed by Polyend here: https://github.com/polyend/TrackerIssues/issues/92)

Yet despite this bug, none of the people who got a Tracker well in advance have ever mentioned it.

The Junglechrist
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by The Junglechrist » Sun Oct 25, 2020 1:31 am

skkatter wrote:
Sat Oct 24, 2020 8:30 pm
The Junglechrist wrote:
Fri Oct 23, 2020 10:11 am
New frmware celebration jam !
What is your connection with Polyend? It seems like they basically gave away a load of units to people in return for them all to post glowing reviews / posts / new positive videos every time they update the firmware.

I also have a Polyend Tracker but I bought it myself without any deal with them and I can't help but notice that they have yet to fix the 15ms midi clock latency bug that I reported to them three months ago. (bug has been confirmed by Polyend here: https://github.com/polyend/TrackerIssues/issues/92)

Yet despite this bug, none of the people who got a Tracker well in advance have ever mentioned it.
Hey there ! I have no contract with Polyend so I'm obliged to say only nice things about the Tracker (no contract at all in fact). If you want the full story I contacted them a bit after they announced the Tracker, totaly out nowhere, just in case they needed more beta testers, they told me that they liked my music so they will send me an early access unit so I could help with the beta testing and make a sample pack / demo for it if I wanted. They specified that I could buy the machine at a reduced price later on, if I really like it, and I decided to do it straight away before even receiving it, because I knew exactly what I wanted it to do in my setup.

The midi bug has been mentioned so much in some forum that I'm sure some forgot to mention it afterwards. But weirdly enought I did not noticed this bug until after a month (even more) of using it because I simply never tried to sync it with anything else during this time.

The way I started to use it with midi (and still do) is to send midi note info from it directly to other machines and the latency is far less noticeable when you work this way.

I'm indeed not to be considered as a classic cutomer here, being a "pro" musician living (hardly) from his music. But as far as i'm concerned the Tracker does exactly what I wanted it to do (and more) even with the bugs still present. I admit I would have been fixing the midi thing first if I were the guys from Polyend but well, as long as they do it at some point i'll be ok.

I hope this post clarify things ;-)

bradclay
Common Wiggler

Post by bradclay » Sun Oct 25, 2020 10:48 am

The Junglechrist wrote:
Mon Oct 19, 2020 11:17 am
Hey there folks ! I have uploaded a new "tips and tricks" video inspired by a question from bradclay about sequencing acid bassline type synthesizer with Tracker :

I just tried a version of this and anytime I send midi notes to the same instrument (td-3) from more than one track after the notes play through one pass they stop playing. Then if I remove notes from one track the notes will play in the remaining track but sometimes not. I’ve had really bad luck with midi hopefully the next update will address some of these issues. I did make a couple bug reports related to this issue and another one.

Does anyone else have a TD-3 that can test this
What’s worse than raining cats and dogs?

Hailing taxi cabs.

SPIKE the Percussionist
Veteran Wiggler

Post by SPIKE the Percussionist » Sun Oct 25, 2020 4:40 pm

updated the OS other night and it's pretty solid!
(i've been beta testing for quite a while)

one GREAT thing which would be trivial to some...EXT MIDI CLOCK works now!

before...the Tracker sounded like it was "Screwed Down" when it was on EXT MIDI clock.
i guess that's appropriate since i am here in Houston.
:P
any how...i'm really glad they addressed a lot of the system details.

it felt kinda silly to slave the Cirklon to the Tracker rather than the other way around.
heh!

last night's noiz with a synced Tracker and other noiz weapons...
++

more noiz!

SPIKE the Percussionist

- http://www.manipulate.net -

ASTROGENIC HALLUCINAUTING
CoRE - Constructs of Ritual Evolution
DOGGEBI
Fiddle Witch and the Demons of Doom
morgue city
Unified Space

skkatter
Veteran Wiggler

Post by skkatter » Sun Oct 25, 2020 9:58 pm

The Junglechrist wrote:
Sun Oct 25, 2020 1:31 am
The midi bug has been mentioned so much in some forum that I'm sure some forgot to mention it afterwards.
I probably came across as a bit harsh there so my apologies.

But it's quite frustrating as I was convinced it would be a good purchase after watching all the people who got pre-sale versions gush about it, with no mention of any sync issue, then once I got it I noticed the sync issue straight away but didn't read anything about it on any other forum so I had to actually ask other users if they were also seeing the same thing as this was before Polyend set-up their very useful Github bug tracking site.

I am a bit baffled as to why they would fix around 40+ other bugs and postpone a midi clock sync fix until "the future". Having a device you've built midi clock sync into play in time with other devices is kind of a basic in my opinion.

The Junglechrist
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by The Junglechrist » Mon Oct 26, 2020 1:23 am

skkatter wrote:
Sun Oct 25, 2020 9:58 pm
The Junglechrist wrote:
Sun Oct 25, 2020 1:31 am
The midi bug has been mentioned so much in some forum that I'm sure some forgot to mention it afterwards.
I probably came across as a bit harsh there so my apologies.

But it's quite frustrating as I was convinced it would be a good purchase after watching all the people who got pre-sale versions gush about it, with no mention of any sync issue, then once I got it I noticed the sync issue straight away but didn't read anything about it on any other forum so I had to actually ask other users if they were also seeing the same thing as this was before Polyend set-up their very useful Github bug tracking site.

I am a bit baffled as to why they would fix around 40+ other bugs and postpone a midi clock sync fix until "the future". Having a device you've built midi clock sync into play in time with other devices is kind of a basic in my opinion.
No that's ok don't worry about it ;-)

I just realize afterward looking at your signature that it was you who made me aware of the bug in the Elektronaut forum by the way.

I'm pretty sure why they have not been fixing it in the first place is that the Tracker main customer "target" is people who want to make music on the go using almost only this machine. People like you and me who want to have it playing with tons of other synths are probably not that many. But I totaly get that's it's a problem, if I had any live show planned I would have wanted to use it I would probably have been quite disapointed (but well ... who remember live shows ?).

But I'm very eager to see the next update with the proper working sync and all the new midi things they told they will implement.

Leverkusen
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Leverkusen » Mon Oct 26, 2020 2:42 am

skkatter wrote:

I think the current state of the review/influencer scene is an important point to talk about more as I noticed the very same issue with other devices lately and can sympathize with feeling baffled and a bit sour after noticing a critical bug or flaw immediately after powering on. Especially when there are extensive reviews not talking about it at all and it's not a weird niche use case you are after.

To me it seems that the increasing professionalization of the demo video scene with an also increasing level of video quality and editing skills sometimes suggests an objective quality that is just not always there in the end. Basically most of those videos are pinpoint target group commercials. Others are not really full reviews but short practise demonstrations.

Though I always liked sonicstate reviews for also mentioning what they don't like so much or what just did not work. The same with Stimming, who would also mention what was wrong with his prototype version.

Regarding the Tracker I am in the group of peoples who use it as some kind of portable sketching device on the sofa or while travelling. So it might have taken some time for me to notice MIDI snyc issues. I was a bit surprised about the pads though. They don't feel very responsive and playable to me but need to be hit quite hard to react reliably. It did not seem like that from the vids and I would have mentioned that. But I also would have bought it without them, just as a hardware tracker with a great UI so it's not a big deal. Was just a bit surprised taking from the reviews that I could also play it "like an instrument" but then found out: not really. It reminded me to watch review videos with care though and consider waiting for things to arrive in 30 days money back stores, which is a bit of a shame.

To me Polyend seem to be great with firmware development. Also my experience with email responsiveness and support is great.

And in the end the Tracker is a very fine and inspiring machine.

rplktr
Common Wiggler

Post by rplktr » Mon Oct 26, 2020 4:45 am

skkatter wrote:
We have a roadmap that was openly discussed a few times. The 1.2 firmware addressed bugs and features that were reported early and/or very often. Improving MIDI is planned for 1.3, pretty much the biggest area of focus for this firmware release. While on your end fixing one single issue with MIDI that bothers you may look easily doable, the issues are often interconnected and we'd have to redo the work anyway.

I understand you're eager to get your problem addressed as soon as possible. We're not ignoring it. We are simply working with limited resources and as such have to plan accordingly.
Procrastination is the soul rebelling against entrapment.

Petajaja
Common Wiggler

Post by Petajaja » Mon Oct 26, 2020 5:34 am

bradclay wrote:
Sun Oct 25, 2020 10:48 am
The Junglechrist wrote:
Mon Oct 19, 2020 11:17 am
Hey there folks ! I have uploaded a new "tips and tricks" video inspired by a question from bradclay about sequencing acid bassline type synthesizer with Tracker :

I just tried a version of this and anytime I send midi notes to the same instrument (td-3) from more than one track after the notes play through one pass they stop playing. Then if I remove notes from one track the notes will play in the remaining track but sometimes not. I’ve had really bad luck with midi hopefully the next update will address some of these issues. I did make a couple bug reports related to this issue and another one.

Does anyone else have a TD-3 that can test this
This is happening to you because you've got constant overlapping note ons, if you send a note off message wherever you don't want a note playing / slide it should work fine for you.

I'm looking forward to the future updates for the tracker but it is also already a more than capable instrument / sequencer if you work within its limitations.. I normally sequence with my pyramid but spent the weekend doing it all with the tracker and I actually prefer the tracker big time for sequencing and any thing I'll be missing out on with not using the pyramid is a worthwhile trade off for me.

8 tracks seems like little but you can be sending to many midi channels on each lane so I haven't found this limiting so far.

I love how clear an overview you have of everything going on within your music on the tracker, this is actually the best implementation of a song mode I've seen in a hardware seq.

I also really liked some of the new ways added to process patterns, copy, shrink, expand, duplicate etc.. Very quick to advance your ideas with these at hand.

I hadn't used mine in a while as I was waiting for the bugs to be fixed but it works very nicely now imo. Still very much looking forward to the additional midi features
Check out my Motas-6 demos over at: https://soundcloud.com/retroreflector :love:

The Junglechrist
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by The Junglechrist » Mon Oct 26, 2020 12:34 pm

Here is a new short demo / tutorial about the Tracker over here, this one is about some new options available in the Pattern Play mode from the Performance window :

behndy
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by behndy » Mon Oct 26, 2020 2:22 pm

The Junglechrist wrote:
Mon Oct 26, 2020 12:34 pm
Here is a new short demo / tutorial about the Tracker over here, this one is about some new options available in the Pattern Play mode from the Performance window :

this (and your other awesome vidjas) pushed me from interested to ordered. love trackers, been forever since i used them a lot, stupid excited for end song sequencing/processing with the Tracker.

thanks for the MOAR GEAR lust!
music, noise, in progress silliness - http://www.youtube.com/c/behndy

forestcaver
Ultra Wiggler

Post by forestcaver » Mon Oct 26, 2020 2:51 pm

Leverkusen wrote:
Mon Oct 26, 2020 2:42 am
skkatter wrote:

I think the current state of the review/influencer scene is an important point to talk about more as I noticed the very same issue with other devices lately and can sympathize with feeling baffled and a bit sour after noticing a critical bug or flaw immediately after powering on. Especially when there are extensive reviews not talking about it at all and it's not a weird niche use case you are after.
Yeah - I agree completely! I had been waiting eagerly for the Tracker and came really close to preordering but having seen lots of bugs in other released hardware, decided to wait until release and to see what real people’s experiences were on the forums (as I am pretty sceptical now of other reviews). I was about to buy when I saw the midi bug reported - I asked some questions. Given that I would want to sync with other midi hardware, that bug was pretty critical to me and a complete show-stopper. I’ve learnt never to buy anything based on future promises but only on what it can do now. I’ve now moved further away from getting one as the bug is still there after so long and is still unfixed - I’m still interested in it but much less so now... I guess it is a pretty hard bug to fix and pretty intrinsic to their implementation or it would have been fixed by now given it must be pretty embarrassing having such a show-stopper. I find it concerning it was released like this - either not found in testing prior to release or, even more worrying, released like this with no warning.... (it looks a great bit of kit, as I say, but just with this show-stopper bug)

vouna
Learning to Wiggle

Post by vouna » Mon Oct 26, 2020 3:45 pm

the lesson I learned is that preordering directly from the vendor when it's sold out is not as ideal as just waiting for it to show up at stores you shop at. I've had three opportunities to buy one but still waiting for the model I preordered in August. I know when I ran a business I preferred direct sales at MSRP vs retailer price. I'm willing to accept software bugs if the hardware is sound, if it's not resolved there is always the secondary market I can sell it on if I can't find a workaround or value in the product any longer.

22tape
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by 22tape » Mon Oct 26, 2020 5:11 pm

I kinda think it sucks poop sticks that it's not common practice for companies to put big ticket firmware bugs on the product page (even if it's small print at the bottom of the page) so, you know, customers know what they're getting into. Seems downright sneaky. And I'm not just talking about Polyend, as it's seems to be a common practice these days.

rplktr
Common Wiggler

Post by rplktr » Mon Oct 26, 2020 6:56 pm

22tape wrote:
Mon Oct 26, 2020 5:11 pm
I kinda think it sucks poop sticks that it's not common practice for companies to put big ticket firmware bugs on the product page (even if it's small print at the bottom of the page) so, you know, customers know what they're getting into. Seems downright sneaky. And I'm not just talking about Polyend, as it's seems to be a common practice these days.
Agreed, this is why we have an open bug tracker where you can search and browse through bug reports and feature requests. You can find it at https://github.com/polyend/TrackerIssues/.
Procrastination is the soul rebelling against entrapment.

mome rath

Post by mome rath » Tue Oct 27, 2020 9:25 pm

• 1. rendered a drum pattern made of one-shots
    2. assigned that drum pattern an envelope to control its filter freq (bandpass); then I think I did an LFO on the filter but I forget already
    3. put another sparse pattern of kick/snare/hi hat on it in another channel
    4. FILL mode on bass line, notes and instruments, after fussing about with some ideas
    4b. modified and augmented to taste
    5. CHANCE effect added to various steps of the bassline, mostly odd numbers off 16 step grid, or any hi/lo outlier notes as added by FILL within my note range
    6. weird MIDI bug after update to new OS, but I'm all in the box so.. can deal with workarounds for now, but kind of annoying (NI komplete 6 into ableton 8.xx 64 bit Win)
    :hihi:
7?. had to buy an SD card reader to import my own samples, I would love to share them with you, mostly wiard 300 and euro phrases/some one shots-- I'll try to host them somewhere once I can convert them to the appropriate format

now I need to record some chords or phrases on my poly evolver and get some weird sync'd modular bits in and start building a track--this thing is the most immediately jammable instrument i've owned in ages that doesn't need its god damn strings changed

:love:

polyend 2 CHANCE bass.mp3
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by mome rath on Wed Oct 28, 2020 2:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
soundcloud, dear friends

good trader cred
instagraM
guest wrote:

Nelson Baboon
droolmaster0

Post by Nelson Baboon » Wed Oct 28, 2020 8:08 am

fuck zzounds.....ordered their open box tracker, which they said existed. got confirmation from them. Never got tracking. Went online today and it said "cancelled because of unavailability". Still "pending" on paypal. no notification from them at all. Drat.

VanEck
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by VanEck » Wed Oct 28, 2020 10:48 am

Nelson Baboon wrote:
Wed Oct 28, 2020 8:08 am
fuck zzounds.....ordered their open box tracker, which they said existed. got confirmation from them. Never got tracking. Went online today and it said "cancelled because of unavailability". Still "pending" on paypal. no notification from them at all. Drat.
I actually just went through the exact same thing with Thomann a couple days ago with "b stock". They said they had 1 "b stock" polyend tracker in stock... bought it. Order confirmed. Waiting on shipping for a couple days, then suddenly get an email saying the item i bought is delayed, and I am now on the preorder list with an estimated 2 week wait time... immediately canceled my order, and order a new one from Sweetwater which arrived just this morning a day later.
DISHEVELED -- PROMETHEUS BURNING -- FOUR PI MOVEMENT

SysEx Dumpster podcast - modular, gear, and other garbage

behndy
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by behndy » Wed Oct 28, 2020 12:57 pm

i ordered from them two days ago, mines got here yesterday. they had a "Nine Left In Stock, HURRY!" message.
music, noise, in progress silliness - http://www.youtube.com/c/behndy

Heavy Metal Kid
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Heavy Metal Kid » Fri Oct 30, 2020 12:38 am

mome rath wrote:
Tue Oct 27, 2020 9:25 pm
had to buy an SD card reader to import my own samples
Wasn't there an SD/USB reader included in your box? Mine came with one.

The Junglechrist
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by The Junglechrist » Fri Oct 30, 2020 2:28 am

mome rath wrote:
Tue Oct 27, 2020 9:25 pm

7?. had to buy an SD card reader to import my own samples, I would love to share them with you, mostly wiard 300 and euro phrases/some one shots-- I'll try to host them somewhere once I can convert them to the appropriate format
No there a little usb key that let use ue any micro SD.

Return to “General Gear”