Polyend Tracker

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, lisa

mome rath
a dubious cube of margarine

Re: Polyend Tracker

Post by mome rath » Fri Oct 30, 2020 7:34 am

The Junglechrist wrote:
Fri Oct 30, 2020 2:28 am
mome rath wrote:
Tue Oct 27, 2020 9:25 pm

7?. had to buy an SD card reader to import my own samples, I would love to share them with you, mostly wiard 300 and euro phrases/some one shots-- I'll try to host them somewhere once I can convert them to the appropriate format
No there a little usb key that let use ue any micro SD.
Heavy Metal Kid wrote:
Fri Oct 30, 2020 12:38 am
mome rath wrote:
Tue Oct 27, 2020 9:25 pm
had to buy an SD card reader to import my own samples
Wasn't there an SD/USB reader included in your box? Mine came with one.
lol

that must be the thing that I found under my table after my card reader arrived

:doh:
soundcloud, dear friends

good trader cred
instagraM
guest wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 2:45 pm
basically, as the dude put it "no walter, youre not wrong, youre just an asshole".
zoogoo wrote: your stupid

SPIKE the Percussionist
Veteran Wiggler

Post by SPIKE the Percussionist » Fri Oct 30, 2020 6:08 pm

anyone else running into an lockup freeze with Ext MIDI sync?

every time i had Tracker in Song mode and hit play on the Cirklon...it would freeze and completely lock up.
i had to pull the power.
this happened several times.
i finally just went into pattern mode and it seemed to work.
after the studio session (about two hours) i did try going back to song mode and then it seemed to work.

thanks for any insight on this issue.
++

more noiz!

SPIKE the Percussionist

- http://www.manipulate.net -

ASTROGENIC HALLUCINAUTING
CoRE - Constructs of Ritual Evolution
DOGGEBI
Fiddle Witch and the Demons of Doom
morgue city
Unified Space

The Junglechrist
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by The Junglechrist » Sat Oct 31, 2020 12:57 am

SPIKE the Percussionist wrote:
Fri Oct 30, 2020 6:08 pm
anyone else running into an lockup freeze with Ext MIDI sync?

every time i had Tracker in Song mode and hit play on the Cirklon...it would freeze and completely lock up.
i had to pull the power.
this happened several times.
i finally just went into pattern mode and it seemed to work.
after the studio session (about two hours) i did try going back to song mode and then it seemed to work.

thanks for any insight on this issue.
Hey there ! It did happened to me with a old project after one of the last beta update. I started a new project and everything was working fine. I will investigate further when I have some time. Maybe try to quit this project and open it again see if it work better.

Here is a short session from last weekend I forgot to share over here by the way :

The Junglechrist
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by The Junglechrist » Mon Nov 02, 2020 11:19 am

Back for a tutorial about how I use the Tracker as a midi sequencer for the "Voice Per Channel" mode of the Medusa:

The Junglechrist
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by The Junglechrist » Wed Nov 04, 2020 8:44 am

For those who wonder about the Tracker being used with modular, here my first attempt at using the CV.OCD I just bought to do so. Only the breakbeats and main kicks are played by the audio engine of the Tracker, the rest is all modular written down or controlled via triggers and gates:

forestcaver
Ultra Wiggler

Post by forestcaver » Wed Nov 04, 2020 1:10 pm

I succumbed eventually - it’s really great fun. Now I am just hoping 1.3 fixes the midi lag ! But I’m blown away with how much fun it is...

bmot
Veteran Wiggler

Post by bmot » Wed Nov 04, 2020 2:14 pm

forestcaver wrote:
Wed Nov 04, 2020 1:10 pm
I succumbed eventually - it’s really great fun. Now I am just hoping 1.3 fixes the midi lag ! But I’m blown away with how much fun it is...
That’s what I love the most about the tracker, it’s really fun! :domodance:

forestcaver
Ultra Wiggler

Post by forestcaver » Wed Nov 04, 2020 2:29 pm

bmot wrote:
Wed Nov 04, 2020 2:14 pm
forestcaver wrote:
That’s what I love the most about the tracker, it’s really fun! :domodance:
The fill with controlled random makes it so quick to mess around with ideas and play with sounds :-)

J3RK
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by J3RK » Fri Nov 06, 2020 2:56 pm

forestcaver wrote:
Me too. Couldn't resist. I've always been more productive and prolific with this style of (or in some cases piano roll) editor, but I prefer hardware for obvious reasons. This is the perfect blend for me. Really enjoying it.
Are you lemon? Does your head come to a nub?

forestcaver
Ultra Wiggler

Post by forestcaver » Fri Nov 06, 2020 3:36 pm

J3RK wrote:
Fri Nov 06, 2020 2:56 pm
forestcaver wrote:
Me too. Couldn't resist. I've always been more productive and prolific with this style of (or in some cases piano roll) editor, but I prefer hardware for obvious reasons. This is the perfect blend for me. Really enjoying it.
It brings back so many memories of Amigas - I’m shocked how quick it is to learn and how quick you can get patterns going....

The Junglechrist
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by The Junglechrist » Mon Nov 09, 2020 12:30 pm

Hey ther everyone ! Here is a short tutorial / demo about how I use the CV.OCD to make the Tracker speak to the modular :

lionelfischer
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by lionelfischer » Wed Nov 11, 2020 2:14 pm

anyone using the tracker with a stand of some kind? i was thinking of getting a little laptop stand that angles the tracker, just wondering if anyone else has suggestions

rplktr
Common Wiggler

Post by rplktr » Wed Nov 11, 2020 5:59 pm

lionelfischer wrote:
Wed Nov 11, 2020 2:14 pm
anyone using the tracker with a stand of some kind? i was thinking of getting a little laptop stand that angles the tracker, just wondering if anyone else has suggestions
I'm using the Roost laptop stand as seen here:

Has a few configurable angles, is foldable, I quite like it. It's a bit on the pricey side but I didn't get it for the Tracker alone. I've seen others use Ikea ISBERGET (it's for example on the official 1.2 update video).
Procrastination is the soul rebelling against entrapment.

Struggle
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Struggle » Wed Nov 11, 2020 7:28 pm

lionelfischer wrote:
I dig these KVgear stands
F6E41BB4-67CC-43D2-91B8-B9A401E8E943.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Kattefjaes
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Kattefjaes » Wed Nov 11, 2020 7:39 pm

lionelfischer wrote:
I used to use my Digitakt on one of these (before I sold it) - cheap and really effective:

(not my pic)

https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/p/isberget-t ... -20302596/

The Junglechrist
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by The Junglechrist » Fri Nov 13, 2020 11:51 am

Woop woop ! More Tracker + Modular madness over here :

vouna
Learning to Wiggle

Post by vouna » Fri Nov 13, 2020 12:52 pm

That's awesome, def inspiring as I crack into my tracker that just arrived :)

22tape
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by 22tape » Sun Nov 15, 2020 1:27 pm

For all the long time tracker heads who have purchased and used Tracker for a while now, how are you getting along with it?

Also, has Polyend confirmed that SD streaming will never be a possibility? Just wondering because if you look at the FAQ, it is plainly stated there are some features that will never be included, but SD streaming doesn't seem to be one of them, if I'm reading it correctly.

Thanks!

3lbFlax
Common Wiggler

Post by 3lbFlax » Mon Nov 16, 2020 6:11 am

My impression and my assumption, based on feedback from the devs in the Facebook group, is that it won't happen because the Tracker is designed around many of its perceived limitations ('short' samples, mono, no timestretch, no live resampling, etc.).

Personally I don't see a need for it with the Tracker, but for the same reason I wouldn't recommend the Tracker as your only sampler unless you were particularly committed to the tracker approach and workflow, or confident you're happy with the features. I like it a lot - it's physically a joy to use and it does what it does very well. As soon as you need a long sample, or a stereo sample, you're out of luck - but these restrictions are upfront. It complements other samplers really well because the tracker paradigm leads you down different creative routes - but it's definitely capable as a standalone device. It's not an MPC or a Maschine+, but a) it's not in the same price range, and b) not every job requires an MPC or a Maschine+.

I'd say that if you're interested in what the Tracker offers and are aware of what it does and doesn't do, it's very unlikely to disappoint.

bradclay
Common Wiggler

Post by bradclay » Mon Nov 16, 2020 12:10 pm

lionelfischer wrote:
I bought this one and it works nicely:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07SB ... UTF8&psc=1
What’s worse than raining cats and dogs?

Hailing taxi cabs.

22tape
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by 22tape » Mon Nov 16, 2020 12:32 pm

3lbFlax wrote:
Mon Nov 16, 2020 6:11 am
My impression and my assumption, based on feedback from the devs in the Facebook group, is that it won't happen because the Tracker is designed around many of its perceived limitations ('short' samples, mono, no timestretch, no live resampling, etc.).

Personally I don't see a need for it with the Tracker, but for the same reason I wouldn't recommend the Tracker as your only sampler unless you were particularly committed to the tracker approach and workflow, or confident you're happy with the features. I like it a lot - it's physically a joy to use and it does what it does very well. As soon as you need a long sample, or a stereo sample, you're out of luck - but these restrictions are upfront. It complements other samplers really well because the tracker paradigm leads you down different creative routes - but it's definitely capable as a standalone device. It's not an MPC or a Maschine+, but a) it's not in the same price range, and b) not every job requires an MPC or a Maschine+.

I'd say that if you're interested in what the Tracker offers and are aware of what it does and doesn't do, it's very unlikely to disappoint.
Great, thanks for that!

Curious though-- were you using a tracker as your main DAW before Tracker? I guess I'm curious about how dedicated Sunvox or Renoise users are finding the transition between qwerty and another UI, regardless of the other specs. Honestly, I'd be posing this same question about M8 and Nerdseq Portable if they were released.

Bummer about no SD streaming for Tracker. Reason being, my process for the past 20 years --> create melodic phrases, percussion, sound design elements and pretty much the whole song writing process without screens (using keys, drum pads, and capturing to loopers, samplers) --> then I'd bring those constituent audio clips that make up the song into Sunvox or Renoise and use the tracker-y goodness for building the song, arrangement and mixing, as well as other fx column intricacies, especially with builds and breaks. And since the audio clips that make up the song are often longish takes of playing live through hardware fx (with long tape delay and reverb tails), the sample memory limitation of Tracker doesn't quite cut it, even with the pitching up/resampling trick. Hell, I don't even need SD streaming, but 133 seconds is skiiiinnny. At least 128mb sample memory would be a huge improvement.

At this point, I'm leaning towards M8 due to the SD streaming, but that tiny screen gives me pause. Nerdseq Portable's screen is a little bigger. They both run on batteries. At this point Nerdseq Portable is listed as having 150 seconds of sample memory... but if SD streaming is incorporated (wink wink nudge nudge!), it could be the ticket. I also like its form factor the most... it looks like a handheld SP-303 with a tracker sequencer :love: (I think I've said this before :hihi:)

But I'd still love to hear more from Renoise/Sunvox users who have made the jump to Tracker (or are thinking about making the jump to M8 or Nerdseq Portable).

Thanks! :guinness:

3lbFlax
Common Wiggler

Post by 3lbFlax » Mon Nov 16, 2020 3:32 pm

And of course no sooner do I waffle on about features like timestretch being missing by design than a new beta firmware is announced featuring timestretch. Happy to help!

3lbFlax
Common Wiggler

Post by 3lbFlax » Mon Nov 16, 2020 3:39 pm

22tape wrote:
Mon Nov 16, 2020 12:32 pm
Curious though-- were you using a tracker as your main DAW before Tracker?
Not exclusively or heavily, but I started out with OctaMED on the Amiga and am a fully paid up Renoise user (and fan), so I'm certainly familiar with the potential. Of course the Tracker sits somewhere between the two in terms of capabilities, but I find two minutes is more than enough time, as long as I'm working with a tracker mindset - short one-shots, three or four loops, some single wave synths... the Tracker's granular features help a lot there. To be honest, though, it's not often I'll go above two minutes even when it's possible, unless I'm specifically using something like the audio tracks on an MPC. If I stop to think about it, it is a bit meagre having less sample time than a maxed-out MPC 2000 in 2020 - but I don't stop to think about it very often.

rplktr
Common Wiggler

Post by rplktr » Mon Nov 16, 2020 3:43 pm

Polyend Tracker 1.3.0b1 beta firmware released

Features
  • Live audio Line input is now available during song playback,
  • Timestretch Fx in Sample Editor with beat and note modes,
  • Sound Enhancer: Bass Boost, 5-band EQ, automatic volume control,
  • Pattern Editor Fill command enhanced: Euclidean fills, Density setting in Random fills,
  • Transpose octaves by turning the Jog-wheel with Shift in note editing (#68),
  • UI refinements like horizontal scrolling of long items in lists,
  • CUT and FAD also turn off MIDI notes.
Fixes
  • Fixed noise when previewing samples with certain rates (#298),
  • Fixed scrambled MIDI playback during audio recording (#165),
  • Fixed lost notes on external MIDI note input (#279),
  • Fixed crash when a directory ends with ".wav" (#255).
As always, please read the following before installing beta firmware: https://github.com/polyend/TrackerIssue ... IRMWARE.md
Procrastination is the soul rebelling against entrapment.

tardwash
Learning to Wiggle

Post by tardwash » Mon Nov 16, 2020 5:16 pm

I’m stoked this can sample the inputs while sequencing an external synth. That was my final big wishlist time. Offline time stretching is a huge bonus as well.

Return to “General Gear”