Polyend Tracker

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

anselmi
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Polyend teaser : sampling groovebox?

Post by anselmi » Thu Mar 12, 2020 12:44 am

TS wrote:
Wed Mar 11, 2020 11:58 pm
all the other screens looks great...I can see a lot of potential
just give me a different view of the sequences and I´ll be very happy

anyway, I really hope the 8 tracks support stereo samples

jonne74
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by jonne74 » Thu Mar 12, 2020 3:02 am

I blame Vordhosbn for all this tracker madness.

Voltcontrol
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Voltcontrol » Thu Mar 12, 2020 3:16 am

Having a touchscreen could be really powerful, hope that the demo simply couldn't show this yet.

Voltcontrol
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Voltcontrol » Thu Mar 12, 2020 3:18 am

anselmi wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 12:44 am
TS wrote:
Wed Mar 11, 2020 11:58 pm
all the other screens looks great...I can see a lot of potential
just give me a different view of the sequences and I´ll be very happy

anyway, I really hope the 8 tracks support stereo samples
Just flip the device 90 sideways and you see a left-right timeline ghehe.
A 'classic' timeline would widen the appeal considerably for the market, totally get that.

francoprussian
Wiggling with Experience

Post by francoprussian » Thu Mar 12, 2020 12:32 pm

Voltcontrol wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 3:16 am
Having a touchscreen could be really powerful, hope that the demo simply couldn't show this yet.
Truly hoping this doesnt have a touchscreen. Inaccurate, clumsy, error prone - three terms which come to mind with touch control, none of which i think can be properly applied to tracker software. Yes, yes, i know, sunvox, vividtracker etc. Doesnt work properly, the pattern editing is a mess. A good interface design can win over touch any day.

donato
Common Wiggler

Post by donato » Thu Mar 12, 2020 1:06 pm

It looks interesting from that last teaser. As someone that has never used a tracker it looks terrifying however (not the least of which is vertical scrolling which seems counter-intuitive when you've been doing it the other way for so many years). The other editing screens look pretty cool.

mafouka
Wiggling with Experience

Post by mafouka » Thu Mar 12, 2020 1:31 pm

Crossing my fingers for Scala file compatibility
Last edited by mafouka on Sun Mar 22, 2020 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
這一生中有多少人擦肩而過?而朋友是多麼可貴啊

Richard deHove
Common Wiggler

Post by Richard deHove » Thu Mar 12, 2020 1:35 pm

Anything with a big screen just says "computer" to me, in which case they usually compare unfavorably to my existing computer. Still, am prepared to be convinced another computer is essential.

cat_abyss
Learning to Wiggle

Post by cat_abyss » Thu Mar 12, 2020 3:29 pm

Now that we know that it's a tracker, that aspect is what's interesting. For a thing like this i'd rather have only cv/midi out per channel, than lots of cool built-in sound generators but only audio out. I really do want a nerdseq, and thought this might be a more ergonomic alternative, but maybe not. We'll see!
Richard deHove wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 1:35 pm
Anything with a big screen just says "computer" to me, in which case they usually compare unfavorably to my existing computer. Still, am prepared to be convinced another computer is essential.
Agreed! A pure sequencer would be one thing, but this thing seemingly has so much going on, it's like they put renoise in a box. So then why not use that... but if it's really tightly packed, without bullshit and with a clear thought-through workflow, i can absolutely dig.

Well, it looks dope, sounds dope (in the teaser at least), and i'm sure people are gonna do amazing things with it. Ill probably always want one, but the question is if i can convince myself.

Exciting times!

anselmi
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by anselmi » Thu Mar 12, 2020 7:49 pm

beyond the fact I dislike the tracker way of sequence I don´t see the point of pack a tracker into a hardware piece of gear...
trackers born in computers, people who love them used always inside computers, so the workflow is naturally computer-oriented
what different is this to use a tracker in a laptop or an iPad? :despair:

I wish they implemented an alternate mode that works like a classic step sequencer

Tun
Common Wiggler

Post by Tun » Thu Mar 12, 2020 7:51 pm

This definitely has my attention, the tracker screen reminds me of the Creator/Notator 'events list' window, hoping for stereo samples too!

ignatius
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by ignatius » Thu Mar 12, 2020 9:14 pm

stereo output
USB
SD card slot
no touch screen
sample + granular mode
complex tracker style sequencing
FM radio tuner

have read that it has wavetables and room for 3rd party development of 'machines' or something similar.

some info from beta tester on another forum

https://llllllll.co/t/polyend-tracker/30124/20

:guinness:

Ruiner
Common Wiggler

Post by Ruiner » Sat Mar 14, 2020 10:20 am

It won’t have individual cv I/Os but I bet it will be a perfect pairing with their Poly module for midi to cv

vegeta897
Learning to Wiggle

Post by vegeta897 » Sun Mar 15, 2020 5:38 am

A press release PDF was unintentionally published on Polyend's site (I won't post it here since it was removed) but it had an MSRP in it:

€499 EUR/$599 USD

Hard not to buy at that price.

Voltcontrol
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Voltcontrol » Sun Mar 15, 2020 9:13 am

Dayumn. That's a damn good price.

Voltcontrol
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Voltcontrol » Sun Mar 15, 2020 9:32 am

Ps Loopop is inviting people to share questions for his upcoming Tracker review on his Facebook page.

Licudi
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Licudi » Sun Mar 15, 2020 10:16 am

A major product launch as a pandemic grips Europe. I'm surprised Polyend is pushing ahead right now. I hope it works out for them.

As an aside, I didn't think I wanted to see 1980s Yamaha case design again, but... A nice touch.

Hagiographical company profile here:
https://przekroj.pl/en/culture/22-24

vegeta897
Learning to Wiggle

Post by vegeta897 » Sun Mar 15, 2020 10:53 am

Take your crusade elsewhere. We're starved for facts about this device and the videos will bring them, regardless of the opinions that come alongside. You don't have to place an ounce of trust in them to be able to learn from the videos. Not everyone is going to be able to play with the device themselves.

- Mod edit -

Removed quote from trolling post.

francoprussian
Wiggling with Experience

Post by francoprussian » Sun Mar 15, 2020 11:04 am

Don't forget to buy his book !

- Mod edit -

Removed quote from trolling post.

bmot
Veteran Wiggler

Post by bmot » Sun Mar 15, 2020 11:05 am

vegeta897 wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 5:38 am
€499 EUR/$599 USD
If that is confirmed, I'm really up for this! I'm pretty surprised to be honest, was expecting higher.

Licudi
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Licudi » Sun Mar 15, 2020 11:06 am

vegeta897 wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 10:53 am
We're starved for facts about this device
This covers much of the spec:
Tracker takes the quintessential characteristics of a classic tracker — the vertical timeline, powerful sequencer, and mechanical keyboard — and cleverly combines them with a newly-designed input interface, divided into several sections: a (high resolution, crisp, and bright) big screen and associated screen keys — mechanical controls that always correspond to what is displayed on the screen directly above them; the grid — featuring 48 backlit multifunctional silicon pads for quick note and pattern value entry and visual feedback (while also acting as a highly-customisable keyboard controller with editable scales); function keys — for fast and responsive control over all functions and options; plus navigation keys and associated (metal-manufactured) jog-wheel (with haptic feedback for fast scrolling or precise adjustments) — for facilitating transport control alongside arrow keys for navigation control, as well as dedicated Insert, Copy/Paste, Delete/Backspace, and Shift keys. All are at hand, helping to streamline making and performing music in a new and innovative way — without having to leave the world’s first hardware tracker, deftly designed as an easy-to-use compact standalone workstation with immediacy and simplicity at its creative core, and aiding artists with forging unique avenues of sonic construction to boot.

Better still, the classic tracker look of that dominating (default) screen — showing (up to) 48 instruments and 256 patterns with a maximum of 128 steps per pattern per project — belies an infinite source of inspiration. Indeed, Tracker comes complete with a wide variety of onboard sound design tools to enhance creativity still further for those wishing to take it to the limit. Let loose with Instrument — a chain of tools (Volume, Tuning, Panning, Filters, Reverb Send, and ADSRs) to make an instrument from any sample; Sampler — choose from different (1-shot, Forward, Backward, and Ping-Pong) play modes; Slicer — slice samples manually, or let Tracker take care of it ‘automagically’ at any time; Wavetable — full-blown wavetable synthesis with variable table length to make it compatible with the most popular (Ableton Wave and Serum) standards; Granular — single grain yet very powerful granular synthesis to create crazy and futuristic sounds from old and boring samples; Sample Editor — built-in precise offline rendering sample editor with multiple effects; and Sample Recorder — records up to two minutes of 16-bit/44.1kHz samples using built-in Radio, Pattern selection, Mic or Line In inputs, all of which can be saved to the included (16GB) MicroSD card for later use or loaded directly into a project. Put it this way: with Tracker, users can quickly and easily use existing sample libraries, record new ones, or use the built-in FM (Frequency Modulation) radio. Record samples, play them, slice them, mash them, or even make a synth out of them!

Tracker also plays nicely with other instruments. Thanks to its bidirectional MIDI (Musical Instrument Digital Interface) implementation, it can be used to sequence and control external gear or be controlled as a sound module by any external MIDI software or hardware devices. Whatever way anyone chooses to use it, armed as it is with an impressive arsenal of sonic weaponry — including automatic filling, randomiser, probability, selection rendering, effects per step, live recording, batch parameter editing, micro-tuning, micro-timing, rolls, and much more besides — it has what it takes to be a surefire hit, harbouring endless creativity. Compatibility with MOD files — a computer file format primarily used to represent music, made up of a set of instruments (in the form of samples), a number of patterns (indicating how and when the samples are to be played), and a list of what patterns to play in what order — allows users to import and finish tracks from way back when or export and finish their Tracker creations in modern-day software trackers.

francoprussian
Wiggling with Experience

Post by francoprussian » Sun Mar 15, 2020 11:07 am

^^ Also, if that's the actual RRP up there, it's pretty decent

Edit: now i look like a parrot

Licudi
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Licudi » Sun Mar 15, 2020 11:10 am

[attachment=0]2df2bbe26c17d4accd59fe5f82efef9f4b6e3726.jpeg[/attachment]
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

RickKleffel
Wiggling with Experience

Post by RickKleffel » Sun Mar 15, 2020 11:16 am

I don't know boo about trackers. Looks pretty DOSsy to me. That said, I am in the market for a stereo sampler that allows me to stream long, environmental looping samples, and overlap as I see fit.

I was thinking about 1010Music's Blackbox, but it looks more oriented to looping beats. It's possible this might be a good choice.

At the moment, I'm using an Akai MPX16, the sound is great, but it is a great pain to load new sets. I love the FM radio included.

The questions I have are how much memory/sample time and how you load single samples or sets of samples.It would also be nice to take any sample and lay it out across those rows of pads for "chromatic" playback, whether or not the sample itself is pitched, and have this mode available at the same time one is streaming samples.

Daisy

Post by Daisy » Sun Mar 15, 2020 12:04 pm

francoprussian wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 11:04 am
Daisy wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 10:12 am
Voltcontrol wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 9:32 am
Ps Loopop is inviting people to share questions for his upcoming Tracker review on his Facebook page.

Fuck that, a really shallow dip into it's potential then he moves on to the next thing (for hits and advertising revenue), just use it, play with it instead of spending your time watching fat fingers!

None of these youtube influencers will ever give an honest opinion, they give the token down points (nothing too harsh) then declare it as the second coming of christ, until the next product. Its another means of advertising but the simple folk still haven't caught on.
Don't forget to buy his book !
That's funny, made me laugh, :tu:

Return to “General Gear”