Polyend Tracker

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, lisa

Voltcontrol
Ravey Dave

Re: Polyend teaser : sampling groovebox?

Post by Voltcontrol » Sun Mar 15, 2020 12:53 pm

francoprussian wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 11:04 am
Daisy wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 10:12 am
Voltcontrol wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 9:32 am
Ps Loopop is inviting people to share questions for his upcoming Tracker review on his Facebook page.

Fuck that, a really shallow dip into it's potential then he moves on to the next thing (for hits and advertising revenue), just use it, play with it instead of spending your time watching fat fingers!

None of these youtube influencers will ever give an honest opinion, they give the token down points (nothing too harsh) then declare it as the second coming of christ, until the next product. Its another means of advertising but the simple folk still haven't caught on.
Don't forget to buy his book !
LOL! I for one am looking forward to the first wave of reviews on this device, his included.

But I feel very sad I've triggered folks to display such negative emotions here. Let's focus on the topic of this thread instead of ranting about Youtube(rs) please?
Gaun Yersel!

anselmi
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by anselmi » Sun Mar 15, 2020 5:32 pm

features looks great

I really hope they release a non-tracker sequencer mode, or something that just works with the pads as a plain step sequencer

the lack of knobs is another negative point for live use, but I think a MIDI controller could cover this

no mention of stereo sample support, just stereo output...mmm...finger crossed

I don´t know why sampler manufacturers seems to be avoid showing sampler specs like RAM size, lately...maybe because this numbers looks like they are from 90s devices...this one says that you can record up to 2 minutes of 16/44.1 audio...if this is the RAM size then you can calculate like 10 mb (mono) or 20 mb (stereo) :eek:
maybe this is not equals the RAM size but the limit of audio that you can record in one take

the fact that they say that the audio can be saved to a card makes me think that this is used as a storage drive but maybe audio can´t be streamed direct from card...and look : the card specs are showed!...maybe because "16 GB" is a safe number to be showed in 2020? ;)

the form factor is great, love the streamlined case, and the different sample playback "machines" is a great concept too...love they included wavetables and granular into this...price is also great

finally, I agree that this is too much teasing...release the damn specs
Last edited by anselmi on Sun Mar 15, 2020 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

vegeta897
Learning to Wiggle

Post by vegeta897 » Sun Mar 15, 2020 6:00 pm

anselmi wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 5:32 pm
Samples are mono only but can be panned.

anselmi
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by anselmi » Sun Mar 15, 2020 6:26 pm

vegeta897 wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 6:00 pm
anselmi wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 5:32 pm
Samples are mono only but can be panned.
really guys?
well, the tracker sequencer and then this...I think it´s a dealbreak for me...I´m tired of this stupid limitation in 2020
one less thing to buy, one less thread to watch

gminorcoles
Common Wiggler

Post by gminorcoles » Sun Mar 15, 2020 8:05 pm

So it’s really just a step sequencer ? With 250 steps

RickKleffel
Wiggling with Experience

Post by RickKleffel » Mon Mar 16, 2020 10:20 am

Mono samples is a dealbreaker for me as well. It may be time to bring the Emulators out of the closet.

22tape
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by 22tape » Mon Mar 16, 2020 10:46 am

:love:
Licudi wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 11:06 am
This covers much of the spec:
Tracker takes the quintessential characteristics of a classic tracker — the vertical timeline, powerful sequencer, and mechanical keyboard — and cleverly combines them with a newly-designed input interface, divided into several sections: a (high resolution, crisp, and bright) big screen and associated screen keys — mechanical controls that always correspond to what is displayed on the screen directly above them; the grid — featuring 48 backlit multifunctional silicon pads for quick note and pattern value entry and visual feedback (while also acting as a highly-customisable keyboard controller with editable scales); function keys — for fast and responsive control over all functions and options; plus navigation keys and associated (metal-manufactured) jog-wheel (with haptic feedback for fast scrolling or precise adjustments) — for facilitating transport control alongside arrow keys for navigation control, as well as dedicated Insert, Copy/Paste, Delete/Backspace, and Shift keys. All are at hand, helping to streamline making and performing music in a new and innovative way — without having to leave the world’s first hardware tracker, deftly designed as an easy-to-use compact standalone workstation with immediacy and simplicity at its creative core, and aiding artists with forging unique avenues of sonic construction to boot.

Better still, the classic tracker look of that dominating (default) screen — showing (up to) 48 instruments and 256 patterns with a maximum of 128 steps per pattern per project — belies an infinite source of inspiration. Indeed, Tracker comes complete with a wide variety of onboard sound design tools to enhance creativity still further for those wishing to take it to the limit. Let loose with Instrument — a chain of tools (Volume, Tuning, Panning, Filters, Reverb Send, and ADSRs) to make an instrument from any sample; Sampler — choose from different (1-shot, Forward, Backward, and Ping-Pong) play modes; Slicer — slice samples manually, or let Tracker take care of it ‘automagically’ at any time; Wavetable — full-blown wavetable synthesis with variable table length to make it compatible with the most popular (Ableton Wave and Serum) standards; Granular — single grain yet very powerful granular synthesis to create crazy and futuristic sounds from old and boring samples; Sample Editor — built-in precise offline rendering sample editor with multiple effects; and Sample Recorder — records up to two minutes of 16-bit/44.1kHz samples using built-in Radio, Pattern selection, Mic or Line In inputs, all of which can be saved to the included (16GB) MicroSD card for later use or loaded directly into a project. Put it this way: with Tracker, users can quickly and easily use existing sample libraries, record new ones, or use the built-in FM (Frequency Modulation) radio. Record samples, play them, slice them, mash them, or even make a synth out of them!

Tracker also plays nicely with other instruments. Thanks to its bidirectional MIDI (Musical Instrument Digital Interface) implementation, it can be used to sequence and control external gear or be controlled as a sound module by any external MIDI software or hardware devices. Whatever way anyone chooses to use it, armed as it is with an impressive arsenal of sonic weaponry — including automatic filling, randomiser, probability, selection rendering, effects per step, live recording, batch parameter editing, micro-tuning, micro-timing, rolls, and much more besides — it has what it takes to be a surefire hit, harbouring endless creativity. Compatibility with MOD files — a computer file format primarily used to represent music, made up of a set of instruments (in the form of samples), a number of patterns (indicating how and when the samples are to be played), and a list of what patterns to play in what order — allows users to import and finish tracks from way back when or export and finish their Tracker creations in modern-day software trackers.

cat_abyss
Common Wiggler

Post by cat_abyss » Mon Mar 16, 2020 4:47 pm

Licudi wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 10:16 am
Hagiographical company profile here:
https://przekroj.pl/en/culture/22-24
Nice reading! Especially this part:
Piotr: “Aphex recently told us that he loves trackers. It turned out we’d been watching the same old YouTube videos of trackers at the same time, including the one I had on floppy disk as a kid. We’re doing a project together in the autumn, for a premiere. I’m so excited.”

Daisy

Post by Daisy » Tue Mar 17, 2020 10:24 am

Trackers are nice, and in the Amiga days even nicer, but they are for kids, try getting a tune out of a Sinclair Spectrum and then talk to me.

bmot
Veteran Wiggler

Post by bmot » Tue Mar 17, 2020 12:34 pm

I just don’t get the aggro. it’s something different, a new take on an old idea that some of us grew up using. Time to be excited I say!

bmot
Veteran Wiggler

Post by bmot » Tue Mar 17, 2020 6:41 pm

It’s now online and available for preorder (499€). Unfortunately the website is struggling and I can’t complete the preorder so I guess a few others are interested? I’ll do it tomorrow instead, but definitely getting one – the sampling alone is exciting for me, had a few samplers recently and didn’t like them.

Anyone succeeded in a preorder?

LameAim
Wiggling with Experience

Post by LameAim » Tue Mar 17, 2020 7:35 pm

Hmmm. Seeing that this thing has sample slicing, wavetable/granular synthesis, SD storage, and a FM radio for $600 bucks means that I’m interested. I’ve been curious about trackers in the past, but have never made the leap. Need to see some workflow videos on this box before committing.

bmot
Veteran Wiggler

Post by bmot » Wed Mar 18, 2020 1:33 am

I preordered, which means paying now (524€ with postage) and there’s a 14 day return/refund policy. Yes it’s a risk as there isn’t much information out there, but i like what I’ve seen so far, especially sampling and performance tools. Polyend reckon June delivery, and as my Osmose preorder has been put back until end of the year this is my new thing for the summer instead.

Voltcontrol
Ravey Dave

Post by Voltcontrol » Wed Mar 18, 2020 1:47 am

bmot wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 1:33 am
I preordered, which means paying now (524€ with postage) and there’s a 14 day return/refund policy. Yes it’s a risk as there isn’t much information out there, but i like what I’ve seen so far, especially sampling and performance tools. Polyend reckon June delivery, and as my Osmose preorder has been put back until end of the year this is my new thing for the summer instead.
Damn. That's a very compelling price.
Gaun Yersel!

Voltcontrol
Ravey Dave

Post by Voltcontrol » Wed Mar 18, 2020 5:23 am

Interesting performance.

Gaun Yersel!

Licudi
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Licudi » Wed Mar 18, 2020 7:00 am

Loopop review/tutorial is up (this shout-out just for the late Daisy):

https://invidio.us/watch?v=MQufJBVvAtY

I'm torn between thinking I should support risk-taking innovative small companies such as Polyend and the couldn’t-be-worse timing of this particular product launch.

Divinital_
Common Wiggler

Post by Divinital_ » Wed Mar 18, 2020 9:53 am

I haven't enjoyed most modern grooveboxes, they cut corners in weird places, and have too many features in others.

I've always been intrigued by the NerdSeq. I think this will be my first permanent groovebox.

tenembre

Post by tenembre » Wed Mar 18, 2020 11:36 am

ONE midi out??? And no CV/ Gate?

Hard pass.

bmot
Veteran Wiggler

Post by bmot » Wed Mar 18, 2020 2:32 pm

tenembre wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 11:36 am

Hard pass.
I'll be using it with the Engine, with one midi synth and the sampler. The Engine will do all the CV/gate. I don't see the Polyend becoming the center of my hardware setup, that job will remain with the Engine, which I like a lot so I don't want to replace it. But I do hope it will supplement the Engine, giving me some nice options I don't already have. And I've been trying to find a decent modern sampler for this kind of price for a while.

I do get your disappointment though, even if it doesn't matter for my purposes. Horses for courses I guess.

ignatius
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by ignatius » Wed Mar 18, 2020 2:47 pm

tenembre wrote:

Hard pass.
octatrack only has 1 midi out and no cv gate. if you get a midi thru box for $50 then you can connect 5 midi devices on their own channels. not a big deal really.

and they make a well spec'd eurorack module that does midi/cv.. it seems they kept that in mind. not having every connection on the back probably helps meet that $599 price point and sticks to the idea of a streamlined instrument.

Licudi
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Licudi » Wed Mar 18, 2020 2:53 pm

I'm less bothered by it having only one MIDI out than the fact it's 3.5mm rather than DIN. The Deutsches Institut für Normung needs to form a military wing to ensure strict enforcement.

vegeta897
Learning to Wiggle

Post by vegeta897 » Wed Mar 18, 2020 6:11 pm

Licudi wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 2:53 pm
I'm less bothered by it having only one MIDI out than the fact it's 3.5mm rather than DIN. The Deutsches Institut für Normung needs to form a military wing to ensure strict enforcement.
Have you seen how thin it is? A DIN wouldn't fit.

Not that I need my devices to be thin but if they're going for that then having to use a simple adapter (or trs to trs if you have another type b device) is not a big deal.

Licudi
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Licudi » Wed Mar 18, 2020 6:19 pm

Yeah, I get it. I am a Licusaur from when samplers were 3U 19" Akai hard bastards and you had to be a bodybuilder if you wanted a rackful.

Still considering getting the Tracker. Might have placed my order already if the hourly Armageddon bulletins hadn't been so shrill and persistent… :zombie:

22tape
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by 22tape » Wed Mar 18, 2020 8:01 pm

I wonder if Polyend are understating the firmware specs, not unlike Synthstrom did with Deluge upon its announcement, then significant additions were developed and implemented post announcement.

If not, only 90 seconds of mono sample time and two lanes of automation make it more of a sketchpad for my uses, rather than a tracker workstation. And yes, you can still make some killer tracks with just 90 seconds, but then it comes back to Sunvox on a rather nice 6.5 phone screen and a bluetooth qwerty keyboard as a sketchpad that won't cost me another $599. My productivity/focus sucks when making tunes on my phone/laptop though.

I don't need a ton of RAM. 50mb would rock in comparison.

I'm holding off, but still hope to see it mature, even before it's released!

tenembre

Post by tenembre » Wed Mar 18, 2020 9:31 pm

ignatius wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 2:47 pm
tenembre wrote:

Hard pass.
octatrack only has 1 midi out and no cv gate. if you get a midi thru box for $50 then you can connect 5 midi devices on their own channels. not a big deal really.

and they make a well spec'd eurorack module that does midi/cv.. it seems they kept that in mind. not having every connection on the back probably helps meet that $599 price point and sticks to the idea of a streamlined instrument.
Although I don't care for the Octatrack at all, I do get where you're coming from. But 2 midi outs is a minimum for me for a box that will sequence other equipment. That's so I can have stuff that needs start/stop/continue on one out, and stuff that should not get start/stop/continue on the other. Those are not channelized messages.

Also there are many microcontrollers that have multiple serial outs, so why not pick one of those to develop on? Seems pointless not to, given the small difference in cost. There's space on the back for more mini sockets as well. Missed opportunity.

Return to “General Gear”