The Elektron Model:Cycles Thread

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: luketeaford, Joe., lisa, Kent

behndy
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: The Elektron Model:Cycles Thread

Post by behndy » Sun Mar 15, 2020 12:29 am

Gribs wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 12:17 am
behndy wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 4:38 pm
oof. yeah. that's another thing, beyond it would have been nice to go black on steps for sharps/flats, it would be aweeeeesome to have octave up and down knobs/pads.

and i know sacrifices had to be made to keep it so inexpensive, but the pads suuuuuuck.

good thing i'm probably in the top five worst finger drummers ever! and that includes handless humans.
Where did you get one of these already? Are you one of the initial reviewers?
lol. i WISH i had pull like that.

someone here, when i was bitching and moaning about a pre-order i had placed not making the first shipment they received, pointed me to Control Voltage, who had some in stock. alas, they appear to be out now.
music, noise, in progress silliness - http://www.youtube.com/c/behndy

Gribs
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Gribs » Sun Mar 15, 2020 1:04 am

behndy wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 12:29 am
Gribs wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 12:17 am
behndy wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 4:38 pm
oof. yeah. that's another thing, beyond it would have been nice to go black on steps for sharps/flats, it would be aweeeeesome to have octave up and down knobs/pads.

and i know sacrifices had to be made to keep it so inexpensive, but the pads suuuuuuck.

good thing i'm probably in the top five worst finger drummers ever! and that includes handless humans.
Where did you get one of these already? Are you one of the initial reviewers?
lol. i WISH i had pull like that.

someone here, when i was bitching and moaning about a pre-order i had placed not making the first shipment they received, pointed me to Control Voltage, who had some in stock. alas, they appear to be out now.
Ah, lucky find. I am not in a hurry, but I was curious. I have a Digitone already but this thing just looks fun.
----------------------------------------

AdamJay
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by AdamJay » Sun Mar 15, 2020 3:22 pm

Perfect Circuit had a decent stock on launch day as well.

I loaned mine out to a friend who is on the fence. I figure by the time he realizes it’s a good axe to have around, shops will have replenished stocks.

CoreInside
Veteran Wiggler

Post by CoreInside » Mon Mar 16, 2020 10:48 am

otnemem
Common Wiggler

Post by otnemem » Mon Mar 16, 2020 3:51 pm

CoreInside wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 10:48 am
Sounds good! Is this just with Model:Cycles?

CoreInside
Veteran Wiggler

Post by CoreInside » Mon Mar 16, 2020 4:26 pm

thx , yes, just 6 tracks with plocks being muted on and off, all 4 bar loops. no post production. no mastering except normalisation

Ghost Hip
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Ghost Hip » Fri Mar 20, 2020 5:00 pm

Here is a more or less ambient track I made with the Cycles. I'm really digging this thing and having a lot of fun with it.

behndy
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by behndy » Mon Mar 30, 2020 2:42 am

so hawt bebe.

all sounds Cycles here. and a CAT TRAIN.

slumberjack
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by slumberjack » Mon Mar 30, 2020 3:55 am

The arrangement was done on the M:S then single tracked through a tube preamp. It's actually a remix of an existing own tune which was way to bad.

edit: Sorry posted in the wrong thread... :doh:

Last edited by slumberjack on Fri Apr 03, 2020 6:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

mekohler
Common Wiggler

Post by mekohler » Thu Apr 02, 2020 11:48 am

My Kit / Pattern generator for the Model line is in open beta at the moment (https://www.elektronauts.com/t/ios-tens ... ine/125870)

orangehexagon
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by orangehexagon » Tue Apr 14, 2020 3:33 pm

How is everyone getting on with the Cycles now that some of you have had it for a little bit?

I initially had zero interest in this, until I realized that I absolutely love the tone and sound of these engines. I'm also very much in need of a more straight forward machine, which the cycles seems to be. Thanks!

behndy
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by behndy » Tue Apr 14, 2020 3:56 pm

still love mines. i keeping getting torn between the PLAN of having my Squarp Pyramid sequencing all my gear, and just how fun and good the Elektron sequencer is.

sounds great, ton of manipulation options, beasty beast.

lisa
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by lisa » Tue Apr 14, 2020 11:34 pm

orangehexagon wrote:
Tue Apr 14, 2020 3:33 pm
How is everyone getting on with the Cycles now that some of you have had it for a little bit?
It is straight up fantastic. A lot better than I expected from Elektron at that price point. Fun and rather easy to use, still loads of functionality, great sound making algorithms. Totes malotes! :sb:
New track! Drum synthesis heavy, melodic piece where Instruō harmonàig is doing the chords. 🐡

seta666
Wiggling with Experience

Post by seta666 » Wed Apr 15, 2020 12:36 am

Turn your M:C into a 6 note polyphonic synth. This method can also be used with M:S or Digitakt

First I added midi round robin, it works perfect Polymind device.

I first tried it with 6 tone machines, beautiful pads...

Doing changes via Control all....I wish Control all could be toggled on/off

I am loving it!!!, is like having a new synth

Some configurations I can think off:

- 6 note polyphonic FM synth 6 tone machines, 6 chord machines in unison mode, etc..
- 3 note polyphonic dual layer FM synth (Eg; 3 tone and 3 metal machines, one pair per midi ch)
- Streichfett like 5 note poly synth on L out and mono synth on R out for ext processing

I also added CC8 and the envelope from max for live essentials, this gives me a ADSR envelope per parameter per track if I want to (including Amp, so now I have an attack setting)..a true polyphonic synth.

The only thing sometimes there is some clipping if the amp release has not completed its cycle.

Still trying to figure out how to control all track envelopes at the same time...but sure it is posible

I know it was not made to be used as a synth but in the studio I do not need the sequencer as I use ableton and I hate to have different parts coming out from the same audio outputs.

I just use a different projects as sound banks, one project for poly6 mode, one project for poly 3 dual layer mode and other project for" Streichfett" mode. Patterns are the sound presets

You can also record those clips in M:C sequencer

Just a small demo, Interstellar theme played with a two layer preset, one tone machine and one chord machine in unison mode.

https://soundcloud.com/wartuba/interste ... del-cycles

First the Tone machine, then the chord machine and third both together

CRMVMT
Learning to Wiggle

Post by CRMVMT » Wed Apr 15, 2020 6:28 am

lisa wrote:
Tue Apr 14, 2020 11:34 pm
orangehexagon wrote:
It is straight up fantastic. A lot better than I expected from Elektron at that price point. Fun and rather easy to use, still loads of functionality, great sound making algorithms. Totes malotes! :sb:
I'm enjoying mine a lot. I do ghetto house in this box solely. FM basses and the chord machine are really cool. Kicks are super strong. Conventional hihats take some time to sculpt and you have to enjoy the high-freq fm nastiness here a bit. There's also like 1 or 2 usable clap presets but luckily they can be worked upon. Otherwise it is really flexible and very "together" sounding device. It has its own sound character, you can pretty much get the idea from any decent youtube demo. It can do the Pan Sonic brain-drilling drones too.

inoshi
Wiggling with Experience

Post by inoshi » Wed Apr 15, 2020 6:27 pm

any idea idea on when the next batch is out? (i know this was probably already asked, didn't feel like scrolling through the whole thread.)

cat_abyss
Common Wiggler

Post by cat_abyss » Thu Apr 16, 2020 3:01 am

inoshi wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 6:27 pm
any idea idea on when the next batch is out? (i know this was probably already asked, didn't feel like scrolling through the whole thread.)
I wonder the same thing...

Thomann says "within 1-2 weeks" but i think it's just been counting down to some date for a month or so, and i'm not sure if there's some weight behind it. I'm like fourth on the waiting list at my local joint (who didn't get any in the first batch, even though they ordered a few units), and they said they would call me if there was an update, which they haven't done.

Another swedish webstore says may 14th, another says they stock them but i don't trust that. I mailed them and my local place. Lets see...

inoshi
Wiggling with Experience

Post by inoshi » Thu Apr 16, 2020 10:48 am

cat_abyss wrote:
Thu Apr 16, 2020 3:01 am
inoshi wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 6:27 pm
I wonder the same thing...

Thomann says "within 1-2 weeks" but i think it's just been counting down to some date for a month or so, and i'm not sure if there's some weight behind it. I'm like fourth on the waiting list at my local joint (who didn't get any in the first batch, even though they ordered a few units), and they said they would call me if there was an update, which they haven't done.

Another swedish webstore says may 14th, another says they stock them but i don't trust that. I mailed them and my local place. Lets see...

i saw an ad for one on youtube, from a store that i'd never heard of. it was the only one with a listed date: April 22nd

ludotex
Wiggling with Experience

Post by ludotex » Fri Apr 17, 2020 8:47 am

orangehexagon wrote:
It's really great :yay: Easy to use, sounds pretty good and original. I have done a lot of patterns already, some unfinished and a few I really enjoy jamming on. I like the limitations of the instrument, makes you more focus on music and sound tweaking.
(you can check my link in my sig below if you're curious)
---
Latest patchings and experiments: https://www.youtube.com/user/plutotex/videos

Richard deHove
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Richard deHove » Sat Apr 18, 2020 6:44 pm

Very interested in this but for one thing. In all the many demos I've listened to I hear loads of great kick drums, toms, zaps, basses, snappy snares, FM modulations, synth sounds, and of course great metal of all kinds. What I don't ever hear is long deep noise hits. I love those sorts of sounds. Imagine, on a synth, making a long white (or pink) noise hit, turning up the filter EG just a little, giving it a long release, and rolling off all the tops with a LPF.

Can the Cycles get that sound?

Somewhat similar to the low noise hits starting at 33 here:

seta666
Wiggling with Experience

Post by seta666 » Sun Apr 19, 2020 2:46 am

The metal machine algorithm has a HPF on it, no low frequencies at all. You can of course layer tracks for more complex sounds, just need to set any number of tracks to same midi channel and play it from an ext keyboard. It is simple but can be as deep as you want.

But for noise based sounds I prefer the volca drum, has LP, BP and HP noise. Both together are less than 500€ and you get a very powerful digital kit.

Richard deHove
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Richard deHove » Mon Apr 20, 2020 4:07 am

Thanks, sort of what I suspected since I never heard those sounds. Seems a bit of a shame there's no noise source in there, but then no machine does it all.

seta666
Wiggling with Experience

Post by seta666 » Mon Apr 20, 2020 4:14 am

Richard deHove wrote:
Mon Apr 20, 2020 4:07 am
Thanks, sort of what I suspected since I never heard those sounds. Seems a bit of a shame there's no noise source in there, but then no machine does it all.
Most machines have noise in them, that and the random LFO can get you there. I did open a thread in Elektronauts on how to turn the cycles into a polyphonic synth via Ableton and M4L.

The possible configurations are:

- 6 note polyphonic FM synth (6 tone machines, 6 chord machines in unison mode, etc…)
- 3 note polyphonic dual layer FM synth (Eg; 3 tone and 3 metal machines, one pair per midi ch)
- A true unison poly synth, layer 1 and 2 same with different pitch/LFO settings (eg, -0.5/0.5)
- " Streichfett like" 5 note poly synth on L out and mono synth on R out for ext processing
- Not a poly mode but will also create a template for a two part, 3 layer monophonic drum/synth sounds with individual outs (L&R)
- On M:S, DT, or OT dual layer single cycle wavetable poly mode

There are even some hidden midi options, like LFO trig mode; same 5 options Analog Four has (Free, Trigger, Random Hold, One Cycle and Half Cycle) vs the 2 options it has on the hardware (Free and Trigger)

Still lots of work to do...

cat_abyss
Common Wiggler

Post by cat_abyss » Tue Apr 21, 2020 2:21 pm

Ok, so i caved and got one from the place that mysteriously had them in stock. Super nice people, and i got it after only 20 hours (might be because they must've spent a negative amount of time on packaging :hihi: ).

Been playing for a couple of hours, first elektron machine. Manual is dense, and i don't wanna watch a video of someone else having fun. So i've been randomly pushing buttons trying to figure stuff out... only erased my stuff twice so far!

I'm looking forward to learning how to compose tunes on this things, how not to make just one pattern but maybe a few, and with some feeling about how to move between them... if i can keep that much in my head!

Sticker sheet:
sheet.jpg
After some assessment, that means we get these letters
11223344556678899AABBCCDDEEFFGGHHIJJKKLLMMNNOOOPPPQRRSSTTUUVVWWXYZÄÅÖ
So double everything except 7IQXYZÅÄÖ. There's a nice swedish story about why there aren't so many Q's around, but i still wonder about the 7...?

If you wanna cut up the small perc/kick/chord/... as well, that will give you
aacccdeeeehikklmnnooprrrstt
...but in a smaller font, yaeh.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

electricfence
Wiggling with Experience

Post by electricfence » Tue Apr 21, 2020 8:05 pm

cat_abyss wrote:
Tue Apr 21, 2020 2:21 pm
After some assessment, that means we get these letters
11223344556678899AABBCCDDEEFFGGHHIJJKKLLMMNNOOOPPPQRRSSTTUUVVWWXYZÄÅÖ
So double everything except 7IQXYZÅÄÖ. There's a nice swedish story about why there aren't so many Q's around, but i still wonder about the 7...?

If you wanna cut up the small perc/kick/chord/... as well, that will give you
aacccdeeeehikklmnnooprrrstt
...but in a smaller font, yaeh.
If I were in Sweden, I'd probably want to have as many Ås and As as possible. Maybe Elektron is hoarding them?

Return to “General Gear”