The Elektron Model:Cycles Thread

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, lisa

thoughtful ted
1-Post Wiggler

Re: The Elektron Model:Cycles Thread

Post by thoughtful ted » Mon Aug 31, 2020 2:05 pm

AdamJay wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 7:14 pm
Mekohler made an editor for MC and MS.
It’s called Tensor and it runs on iPad.
Randomize facilities as well.
Most use it as a randomizer first but it also works as a standard editor.

It does not edit the lower level parameters beneath the macros, as Elektron has said that is a special sauce they won’t be sharing.

https://www.elektronauts.com/t/ios-tens ... ine/125870
I can't find a link to any clip of this but it sounds like it could be great

suboptimal
A Towering Mediocrity

Post by suboptimal » Tue Oct 06, 2020 1:42 pm

Now that these have been in the wild for a while, I'm wondering how the more experienced wigglers out there are finding the the synth engine. Is the lack of control over attack a problem?

I'm debating engaging in some retail therapy with one of these, but the absence of an attack parameter is making me wonder if this might frustrate me.

soon_come
Wiggling with Experience

Post by soon_come » Tue Oct 06, 2020 2:34 pm

If you absolutely need long attacks and don't want to waste each channel's single LFO on them, then this isn't the machine for you. I'd say that's one of its few clear-cut weaknesses in terms of being an absolute chameleon. If they added a simple attack parameter (like the DT's "fade" param for the LFO) it would resolve this, but I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for them to update that. It may never happen.

lisa
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by lisa » Tue Oct 06, 2020 2:38 pm

As I've written before, it is a great, fun and expressive machine at a fair price. It lacks many functions and precise control over the parameters (many parameters are affected by each control) but that's what makes it fun. If it gave you control over everything it'd be tedious. I love it for what it is but I can't say if anybody else would miss any parameter or control that it doesn't have.
You go too high too early! Although the pattern represents a variety of objects to many cultures - a plow, wagon, coffin, skunk, camel, shark, canoe, bushel, sickle, even a hog's jaw. If the date was a dance, it'd be a tango. It wasn't romantic. Rise, red as the dawn. Ungodly and full of digital dirt. Make Noise 0-coast and Soulsby Atmegatron heavy.

soon_come
Wiggling with Experience

Post by soon_come » Tue Oct 06, 2020 2:42 pm

I agree 100% with lisa's statement. It's so versatile.

soon_come
Wiggling with Experience

Post by soon_come » Tue Oct 06, 2020 4:51 pm

Here's an idea BTW... use any iOS app (or any MIDI device) to send in LFOs / envelopes as needed. It has a good MIDI implementation.

suboptimal
A Towering Mediocrity

Post by suboptimal » Tue Oct 06, 2020 6:48 pm

I suppose the OT could serve that purpose as well.

I'd mostly be adding this as a companion to the MD. I have plenty of other sound options, so the lack of super deep synthesis is actually an attractive feature. If anything I see myself putting this at my desk where I'd tweak from time to time as a break from work. Something super simple and direct. I like the sounds I'm hearing . . . never mind, I'm just talking myself into it.

behndy
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by behndy » Tue Oct 06, 2020 9:56 pm

yeppers. like The Lisa says, the simplicity of the box is the appeal. at least to me.
music, noise, in progress silliness - http://www.youtube.com/c/behndy

th0mas
Veteran Wiggler

Post by th0mas » Tue Oct 06, 2020 11:08 pm

suboptimal wrote:
Tue Oct 06, 2020 6:48 pm
I suppose the OT could serve that purpose as well.

I'd mostly be adding this as a companion to the MD. I have plenty of other sound options, so the lack of super deep synthesis is actually an attractive feature. If anything I see myself putting this at my desk where I'd tweak from time to time as a break from work. Something super simple and direct. I like the sounds I'm hearing . . . never mind, I'm just talking myself into it.
I have a machinedrum/monomachine combo but lately I'll reach for the model:cycles first. It's faster to jam out on, the sequencer has all the nice newer Elektron features like trig conditions and variable pattern speeds, and the reverb is lightyears better than the MD/MnM.

I was streaming on Twitch the other day while building patterns on just the M:C, a TR-606 and a battery powered guitar hero keyboard as MIDI controller for the M:C.

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/758504139?t=00h16m41s

blizzt
Common Wiggler

Post by blizzt » Wed Nov 11, 2020 2:47 pm

To the folks that already had this item for a long time... How would you rate the longevity on this machine? Are you bored of it already? Do it keep you giving inspiring moments/unexpected sounds? Looks like I could buy myself this thing for xmas, I like that it's nos your typical drum machine and that's the big appeal for me to be honest but still not sure... Already have the digitakt, could make for a nice couple and im not looking to get the digitone anytime really. Oh, I forgot to mention im really digging the chord sound. Setting up multiple chord machines could be very fun...

soon_come
Wiggling with Experience

Post by soon_come » Wed Nov 11, 2020 3:08 pm

It's fantastic. At used prices (~$250) it's a no-brainer. It's worth the price even just as a MIDI sequencer... but when you realize you can do chords, drums, bass, and lead all on one device like this it's a special moment. I use it as a mobile sketchpad, but often find myself not even replacing parts with external synths when I get back to the studio in some cases.

GeneralBigBag
My codename's Happy Harry, I'm Into CV

Post by GeneralBigBag » Wed Nov 11, 2020 3:25 pm

Easily the best $300 I've spent on a piece of music gear. Immediate enough to be fun any time, deep enough to have longevity. Probably the best thing Elektron has made in a while.

dooj88
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dooj88 » Wed Nov 11, 2020 4:34 pm

^^^^^^^^^^^that is totally badass

Archimboldi
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Archimboldi » Mon Nov 16, 2020 12:51 am

Hello all,

I've had the M:C for a few weeks, and I absolutely love it. That said, I'm having an issue working in Ableton when I move beyond basic sequencing. I've mapped 8 parameters to CC8, but when I automate more than one parameter simultaneously (LFO or unlinked envelope), the M:C shuts down (delayed playing, dropped notes, no modulation). This happens via USB and MIDI, and occurs even when I'm only playing on one track with simple two-note pattern. I've tried messing with all the settings I could find in Ableton (with help from the internet) and my computer (Mac). I figure maybe I'm sending too much info at once over midi, especially with fast envelopes/LFO's - but that doesn't quick seem like it should be an issue.

Anyone else experience this or know how I might be able to remedy the situation?

Thanks!

soon_come
Wiggling with Experience

Post by soon_come » Mon Nov 16, 2020 4:05 am

Could be a feedback loop... are you sending CCs back to the computer from the MC as well? If so, it’s possible that you’re creating feedback and that will crash any MIDI sequencer pretty quickly. Use a MIDI monitor to check what’s coming back into the computer.

blizzt
Common Wiggler

Post by blizzt » Mon Nov 16, 2020 2:02 pm

Came across this video while auditioning what this machine can I do.

[/url]

Amazing device!! Probably ordering this sooner than later 8-)

Archimboldi
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Archimboldi » Mon Nov 16, 2020 2:10 pm

soon_come wrote:
Mon Nov 16, 2020 4:05 am
Could be a feedback loop... are you sending CCs back to the computer from the MC as well? If so, it’s possible that you’re creating feedback and that will crash any MIDI sequencer pretty quickly. Use a MIDI monitor to check what’s coming back into the computer.
Thanks for the quick reply! I just downloaded a MIDI monitor and double-checked for CC feedback loops - no luck there. I also reset the M:C and tried a ton of different settings. I did make a little progress when only using custom modulation clip envelopes mapped directly to the CC's (as opposed to an LFO and/or automating macros). So, it seems like there's something in the extra step of creating macros that's causing the trouble or maybe my M4L devices. I'm content for now, but ultimately curious if I can send fast and complex envelopes, retriggered by incoming notes, to several CC's at once. Regardless, I can still come close to that with the internal sequencer/parameter locks. :-)

hawkfuzz
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by hawkfuzz » Tue Nov 17, 2020 12:13 pm

How's everyone liking this thing?
THUMPR BC SC

soon_come
Wiggling with Experience

Post by soon_come » Tue Nov 17, 2020 1:19 pm

Again: WE LOVE IT 😍

LongLostDonut
Common Wiggler

Post by LongLostDonut » Tue Nov 17, 2020 5:47 pm

Yeah, it's a keeper... like a lot of the best kit, it's quite easy to get into samey territory, but if you work it (which doesn't take *that* much work) you can get really special results. What I love about it is that you can get really interesting sounds from each sound type... I've gotten amazing snares from the Chord, cool melodies from the Snare and subtle bleeps from the Kick. The reverb really works with the sound palette and helps to create new and interesting sounds.

Return to “General Gear”