I love Vermona

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

Voltcontrol
Wiggling with Experience

I love Vermona

Post by Voltcontrol » Wed Feb 26, 2020 3:40 pm

Everything about the way they do it and a lot of their instruments too: Love it.

Anyone ever visited the factory?

dopefiend
Likes SHOUTING!

Re: I love Vermona

Post by dopefiend » Wed Feb 26, 2020 4:08 pm

Never been there...but I have to agree with you. My 14 is one of my few “have to pry from my cold dead fingers” synths. A veritable monster. Distortion much more aggressive than the Minimoog D, but of different quality. Visually beautiful. :love:
Noisemakers: Maracas. Squeaky shoes. Bean-induced flatulence.
An oncologist is like The Lone Ranger: he is chemo savvy.

DjSycamore
Learning to Wiggle

Post by DjSycamore » Thu Feb 27, 2020 11:52 pm

I love Vermona too! I’ve only had my Retroverb and my 14’ but both pieces are never going anywhere. I think quite regularly about how my 14’ is my favorite synth, and I LOVE my others too! (Juno 106, OB6, polysix, sh101, a couple others...)
I feel like I was the perfect demographic for this thing. No screen, solid build with interesting controls and a beautiful sound! The sequencer and arp could be a little less confusing but everything has its quirks.
I’m still dreaming of a Vermona poly, something like the 14’ but 5-6 voice with at least 4 octave keyboard...

DjSycamore
Learning to Wiggle

Post by DjSycamore » Fri Feb 28, 2020 12:09 am

Question, I was just thinking about your distortion comment and am wondering if you’re talking about running the output back to the input trick? I haven’t tried this yet hmm

francoprussian
Wiggling with Experience

Post by francoprussian » Fri Feb 28, 2020 10:59 am

Love Vermona too. Got a Mono Lancet last year - the thing just sounds so nice. It's the reason i'm getting into eurorack cos i got the euro interface module for it and it needs some friends.

The whole package is class, if slightly awkward. But the synth on its own is still just a joy to hear, really sweet. Always wanted a perFOURmer but could never justify the cost or space it would require.

chiasticon
Wiggling with Experience

Post by chiasticon » Fri Feb 28, 2020 11:08 am

same. they make some very classy gear that's super solidly built, elegantly designed, simple and fun to use, and sounds terrific. basically the most "vintage" of any modern company, in those respects. so far I've got the drm1 mk3, perfourmer mk2 and the retroverb lancet. all are awesome. would love a '14 but kinda hard to justify with the perfourmer here...

hinterlands303
Ultra Wiggler

Post by hinterlands303 » Fri Feb 28, 2020 12:38 pm

For people who own the Mono Lancet or the Perfourmer - how would you characterize the filter? Is it closer to Moog or Roland or something else?

BugBrand
Knowledge of Bugs

Post by BugBrand » Fri Feb 28, 2020 12:44 pm

Enjoyable video - super interesting & impressive doing so much of it in house.

chiasticon
Wiggling with Experience

Post by chiasticon » Fri Feb 28, 2020 1:59 pm

hinterlands303 wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 12:38 pm
For people who own the Mono Lancet or the Perfourmer - how would you characterize the filter? Is it closer to Moog or Roland or something else?
to me it's closer to Moog than Roland, but it doesn't lose as much of the low end when you turn the resonance up.

vnsc
Learning to Wiggle

Post by vnsc » Sat Feb 29, 2020 9:30 pm

I don't have any experience with Vermona stuff, but I definitely think that the 14 is one of the most aesthetically pleasing synthesizers designed. :goo:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
http://vaultofstars.com
Music, art, photography, design, words

dopefiend
Likes SHOUTING!

Post by dopefiend » Sun Mar 01, 2020 11:01 am

DjSycamore wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 12:09 am
Question, I was just thinking about your distortion comment and am wondering if you’re talking about running the output back to the input trick? I haven’t tried this yet hmm
I have done it, and the distortion gets a little more out of hand than, for instance, the Minimoog D. One thing about the Mini, though: the distortion from overdriving the filter has fewer high-frequency overtones, so is not as screetchy as the 14, but this makes it sound warmer. This can be achieved on the 14, but with very cautious adjustment of the VCO input in the filter, as it can get out of control in a pinch.
Noisemakers: Maracas. Squeaky shoes. Bean-induced flatulence.
An oncologist is like The Lone Ranger: he is chemo savvy.

phats
Common Wiggler

Post by phats » Sun Mar 01, 2020 4:28 pm

I've always loved the sound of the perfourmer, one thing that's never been clear to me is if you are playing in poly mode, can you control all the params simultaneously, like filter cutoff, envelopes etc? The manual just talks about voice allocation when describing the poly modes. Is it possible without using an external midi controller? Seems like it is possible if you use a midi contoller and every voice on the same channel, is that correct?

onthebandwagon
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by onthebandwagon » Sun Mar 01, 2020 4:43 pm

This thread is making me consider a mono lancet instead of a Boomstar.
“no matter how fine you grind the dead meat, you’ll not bring it to life again“

hinterlands303
Ultra Wiggler

Post by hinterlands303 » Sun Mar 01, 2020 4:54 pm

I broke down and ordered a Mono Lancet '15 off of Reverb. I'm excited! My only previous experience with Vermona was the Vintage Spring Reverb which sounded excellent (and looked great too). I had the VSR on an effects send on the mixer - it was a lot of fun for feedback mixing as well as classic spring sounds.

Struggle
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Struggle » Sun Mar 01, 2020 6:32 pm

The Perfourmer MKII is one of my all time favorite synths.
phats wrote:
Sun Mar 01, 2020 4:28 pm
I've always loved the sound of the perfourmer, one thing that's never been clear to me is if you are playing in poly mode, can you control all the params simultaneously, like filter cutoff, envelopes etc?
You can control cutoff with after touch and velocity for each voice individually, but that’s about it afaik. You have to dial in each voice if you want them to sound similar.

chiasticon
Wiggling with Experience

Post by chiasticon » Mon Mar 02, 2020 1:28 pm

Struggle wrote:
Sun Mar 01, 2020 6:32 pm
You can control cutoff with after touch and velocity for each voice individually, but that’s about it afaik. You have to dial in each voice if you want them to sound similar.
this. and otherwise you can't control the parameters with midi CC messages. so you can't, as was proposed, use a midi controller to change all the cutoff or lfo values at once.

phats
Common Wiggler

Post by phats » Mon Mar 02, 2020 3:47 pm

aw heck, well thanks for clearing that up.

slumberjack
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by slumberjack » Mon Mar 02, 2020 8:09 pm

Loving their stuff and wonder why they loose a lot of their value on the used market because these products are build like tanks.

I did sell the MonoLancet but am happy to keep the VerbLancet, the KickLancet and the dual Eurorack filter as well as thinking the percussion module might be an option for my system. '14 looks awesome!

Christopher Winkels
Lord of Tweed Manor
Location: Burlington, Ontario, Canada, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way, Virgo Supercluster

Post by Christopher Winkels » Mon Mar 02, 2020 8:19 pm

All this is making me want to buy a Perfourmer Mk. II

murch33
Learning to Wiggle

Post by murch33 » Mon Mar 02, 2020 11:58 pm

Christopher Winkels wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 8:19 pm
All this is making me want to buy a Perfourmer Mk. II
Same. If any of my Reverb stuff sells it’s first on my list.

wavejockey
Wiggling with Experience

Post by wavejockey » Tue Mar 03, 2020 1:52 am

perfourmer MkII & Eurorack LFO owner - the (built&sound) Q is outstanding

naturligfunktion
Wiggling with Experience

Post by naturligfunktion » Tue Mar 03, 2020 3:00 am

I think the build quality is exceptional. Very satisfying to twist their knobs. Their output modules sound fantastic. But their quad lfo module is really not my cup of tea. Way too big. Way too expensive. And it does not sync properly. So I do not recommend that one.

Christopher Winkels
Lord of Tweed Manor
Location: Burlington, Ontario, Canada, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way, Virgo Supercluster

Post by Christopher Winkels » Tue Mar 03, 2020 6:34 am

For Perfourmer owners: how is the hard sync addressed dynamically?

If you slave the second voice to the first, for example, what are the modulation sourced? Can you use pitch and/or mod wheels on a controller to affect only the slaved voice?

onthebandwagon
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by onthebandwagon » Tue Mar 03, 2020 9:09 am

Does anyone here use their mono lancet with the dock?
“no matter how fine you grind the dead meat, you’ll not bring it to life again“

Voltcontrol
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Voltcontrol » Tue Mar 03, 2020 9:49 am

Christopher Winkels wrote:
Tue Mar 03, 2020 6:34 am
For Perfourmer owners: how is the hard sync addressed dynamically?

If you slave the second voice to the first, for example, what are the modulation sourced? Can you use pitch and/or mod wheels on a controller to affect only the slaved voice?
Below is copied from a review because I'm lazy. Source: https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/ve ... rfourmer-2

~

Vermona's implementation of sync is rather unusual. Apart from the first, each voice has a switch to select either VCO or LFO synchronisation. If you pick VCO sync, the voice immediately above it becomes the master. Even with just LFO or envelope control of the slaved oscillator's pitch, the results are wild, tearing and wonderful. When you assign voices to different MIDI channels or drive them independently via CV/Gate, sync adds an extra dimension of unpredictability, each voice locking to the preceding one, which in turn does the same, as far back up the chain as it goes. It's way harder to describe the effect of this than experience it, but multi-voice sync is easily the Perfourmer 2's most distinctive and welcome new attribute. For more conventional sync, the monophonic and duophonic modes serve well, the one omission being the lack of mod wheel-based pitch control for those Prodigy-esque sweeps. I guess you can't have everything.

Switching the sync to LFO enables multiple LFOs to lock together. Do this for all voices and only the top LFO's rate control is active; the rest merely change the phase of the slaves. At the maximum displacement of 180 degrees, the slaved LFO will be out by exactly half a cycle — ideal for making pulse-width modulation even swooshier. The LFO range is healthy enough: from about 0.05Hz up to 250Hz, the slowest rate approximately one cycle every 20 seconds, which is just the ticket for slowly evolving drones.

Return to “General Gear”