I love Vermona

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

francoprussian
Wiggling with Experience

Re: I love Vermona

Post by francoprussian » Tue Mar 03, 2020 10:28 am

onthebandwagon wrote:
Tue Mar 03, 2020 9:09 am
Does anyone here use their mono lancet with the dock?
Yes, me.

TBH it's not much use cos i don't have a lot of euro stuff to interface it with. But you can do FM/AM without anything more than a jack cable and the dock, tracks nicely to 1/v oct for sequencing etc. The PW of the square waves can only be changed with the dock. Strangely, the knob range is only 50%. By the middle you lose the sound cos it's gone to 100%. The DB25 cable is too chunky and really annoys me. Err, what else? It's a weird size. Wish it had LFO control somehow. Quite cool anyway, and a nice idea if a little awkward in implementation.

ReverseShuffle
Learning to Wiggle

Post by ReverseShuffle » Tue Mar 03, 2020 9:52 pm

The only Vermona product I own is the Mono Lancet '15. It's a solid synth, and very well built. In the future, I would love to purchase a DRM1 MKIII and PERfourMER MKII, but they are low priorities at this time.

zaphod betamax
Wiggling with Experience

Post by zaphod betamax » Wed Mar 04, 2020 11:06 am

Love Vermona!

Only have 3 items

-Vermona '14
-Vermona perFOURmer
-Vermona RetroVerb Lancet

hinterlands303
Ultra Wiggler

Post by hinterlands303 » Thu Mar 05, 2020 5:06 pm

I just got the Mono Lancet 15' in the mail yesterday - it sounds awesome and looks/feels fantastic. The size is great too.

I'm thinking about doing a DIY expander for it but I'm pretty bad a soldering so maybe I'll go for the Modular Dock. I wish they made a smaller version of the dock without the attenuators (and maybe a few of the other outputs).

7000AD
Learning to Wiggle

Post by 7000AD » Tue Mar 10, 2020 1:13 pm

I currently have a 14 and have owned a perfourmer mk2 in the past.

I think Vermona is probably one of the most underrated analog manufacturers around (at least in the US).
The sound and build quality is extremely classy. They have a natural yet precise sound that can be modulated/driven into wilder territory, but still sounds really musical. It's almost impossible to make these synths sound 'bad'.

You see the 14 vs perfourmer question pop up quite a bit. They're really very different other than the base osc sound, but even that is hard to compare.
If you're in the market for an analog mono the 14 will make you very very happy. The filter is absolutely beautiful and the crazy FM tones you can easily obtain are wonderful. It has some other cool modulation tricks that might not be immediately apparent and the overall workflow/design is basically 10/10.

The perfourmer is amazing too but mcuh more limited in terms of modulation. Best part for me was the flexibility of having the 4 totally independent voices and combining them however you want. Each can have their own midi channel and audio out and when combined with the weird play modes... magic.

francoprussian
Wiggling with Experience

Post by francoprussian » Wed Mar 11, 2020 11:40 am

hinterlands303 wrote:
Thu Mar 05, 2020 5:06 pm
I just got the Mono Lancet 15' in the mail yesterday - it sounds awesome and looks/feels fantastic. The size is great too.

I'm thinking about doing a DIY expander for it but I'm pretty bad a soldering so maybe I'll go for the Modular Dock. I wish they made a smaller version of the dock without the attenuators (and maybe a few of the other outputs).
Not sure how feasible that would be, the dock requires power, and has some circuitry in there, not sure what, but it doesn't look like it's just pots and jack sockets. The oscillators don't come out at modular level voltages though, so who knows, could just be a straight tap from the synth.

DiscoDevil
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by DiscoDevil » Wed Mar 11, 2020 3:13 pm

naturligfunktion wrote:
Tue Mar 03, 2020 3:00 am
I think the build quality is exceptional. Very satisfying to twist their knobs. Their output modules sound fantastic. But their quad lfo module is really not my cup of tea. Way too big. Way too expensive. And it does not sync properly. So I do not recommend that one.
I've used the Fourmulator for years. I agree it's big and a bit expensive but disagree that it does not sync properly. I've never had any issues getting it to sync to an external clock.

I agree they are some of the best built, best sounding and most aesthetically pleasing pieces of gear currently in production. Highly recommend.

In the past I had a DRM MKIII which I will get again soon and 2x Mono Lancets with mod docks and a custom breakout 2hp "sidecar" that had jacks wired in for LFO out, pitch bend, velocity, aftertouch, VCF output and noise outputs. They were great fun but I ended up selling them to get the PerFOURmer which I then sold to get the 14'. I still use the FOURMulator and the Distortion module in Euro.

7000AD
Learning to Wiggle

Post by 7000AD » Wed Mar 11, 2020 4:21 pm

I really wish they would give the DRM a facelift... it's the only one that doesn't match. Way overdue.

naturligfunktion
Wiggling with Experience

Post by naturligfunktion » Thu Mar 12, 2020 4:29 am

DiscoDevil wrote:
Wed Mar 11, 2020 3:13 pm
I've used the Fourmulator for years. I agree it's big and a bit expensive but disagree that it does not sync properly. I've never had any issues getting it to sync to an external clock.

I agree they are some of the best built, best sounding and most aesthetically pleasing pieces of gear currently in production. Highly recommend.
Maybe my module was broken or something, but I had a severe problem with sync. I discussed it here a bit and it was not determined if the módule was suppose to act like that, or if it was broken.

StillNotWorking
Veteran Wiggler

Post by StillNotWorking » Thu Mar 12, 2020 5:11 am

Bought my Filter Lancet before really getting into modular. Still have it. At the time I thought Vermona used some of the most esthetic satisfactory knobs in the industry beside my Voyager.
Later procure the VSR spring reverb for my all analog effect rack.
looking for service manual for the Clavia ddrum AT or ddrum III

francoprussian
Wiggling with Experience

Post by francoprussian » Thu Mar 12, 2020 8:52 am

DiscoDevil wrote:
In the past I had a DRM MKIII which I will get again soon and 2x Mono Lancets with mod docks and a custom breakout 2hp "sidecar" that had jacks wired in for LFO out, pitch bend, velocity, aftertouch, VCF output and noise outputs. They were great fun but I ended up selling them to get the PerFOURmer which I then sold to get the 14'. I still use the FOURMulator and the Distortion module in Euro.
How did you get LFO and VCF out from the modular dock, are there solder points for it or something?

DiscoDevil
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by DiscoDevil » Thu Mar 12, 2020 9:05 am

francoprussian wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 8:52 am
DiscoDevil wrote:
How did you get LFO and VCF out from the modular dock, are there solder points for it or something?
yes. There are solder points on the PCB. I took a 2 HP passive mult and converted it to a "sidecar" for the Mod dock.

francoprussian
Wiggling with Experience

Post by francoprussian » Thu Mar 12, 2020 9:07 am

DiscoDevil wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 9:05 am
yes. There are solder points on the PCB. I took a 2 HP passive mult and converted it to a "sidecar" for the Mod dock.
Oh, nice, never even thought to look. Thanks!

DiscoDevil
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by DiscoDevil » Thu Mar 12, 2020 9:47 am

francoprussian wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 9:07 am
DiscoDevil wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 9:05 am
Oh, nice, never even thought to look. Thanks!
More info here.

https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=50318

francoprussian
Wiggling with Experience

Post by francoprussian » Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:24 am

DiscoDevil wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 9:47 am
More info here.

Thanks for that. The dedicated noise output would be useful.

DiscoDevil
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by DiscoDevil » Thu Mar 12, 2020 12:53 pm

francoprussian wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:24 am
DiscoDevil wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 9:47 am
More info here.

Thanks for that. The dedicated noise output would be useful.
It is for sure as are the dedicated outputs for velocity and aftertouch. Turns it in to a powerful MIDI/CV convertor as well.

francoprussian
Wiggling with Experience

Post by francoprussian » Thu Mar 12, 2020 3:44 pm

Really interesting, tracing the connections of the modular dock using the pictures of the pcb and that chart shows that all the signal outputs are not being buffered at all, and just run straight to the tip pin of their respective jacks. Perhaps they are buffered inside the mono itself. The top four 'clustered' unsoldered pins are for the unused MIDI to cv outputs (aftertouch, velocity etc), and the bottom cluster are for the lfo and envelope outputs. The odd thing is that the vcf output is soldered, but i can't see a trace running anywhere, and the board is using +12v and ground from the db25 cable. It looks like the 12v goes via the VCOs off switch, so maybe 12v at that input turns off the VCO output on the mono's socket. The modular power connector probably runs the op-amp and LEDs. The unconnected pins do not even have a physical connection to the db25 socket, except for the vcf output one, judging by photos on thomann. Hmmm.

Can't tell much more without probing around, but a lot could be done with a little 'man in the middle' project box methinks.

Edit: silly, no reason outputs should be buffered really, they can expect the destination to take care of that. Inputs especially for the CV should be buffered to avoid loading the signal too much and causing tuning problems... think i got that right now..
Last edited by francoprussian on Thu Mar 12, 2020 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Boodaleechees
Common Wiggler

Post by Boodaleechees » Thu Mar 12, 2020 3:56 pm

I really did not need to learn about the retroreverb lancet. Jeebus that thing sounds good. The Mootant vid on it is earwatering. :miley:

francoprussian
Wiggling with Experience

Post by francoprussian » Thu Mar 12, 2020 3:56 pm

Well bugger me, on closer inspection it looks like the LEDs are running off the 12v from the db25 cable! Very hard to tell from the teardown photos that person posted, but the modular 10-pin header looks like it only has a ground connection!! Can't tell exactly without unmounting mine and having a poke about with a meter...

francoprussian
Wiggling with Experience

Post by francoprussian » Sat Mar 14, 2020 2:41 pm

Found a way to sort that annoying DB25 cable sticking out from the rack:
IMG_2126 copy.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

StillNotWorking
Veteran Wiggler

Post by StillNotWorking » Sun Mar 15, 2020 6:39 am

francoprussian wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 2:41 pm
Found a way to sort that annoying DB25 cable sticking out from the rack:
Nice, any source for that angle connector? Might fit Voyager extension boxes as well.

francoprussian
Wiggling with Experience

Post by francoprussian » Sun Mar 15, 2020 7:06 am

StillNotWorking wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 6:39 am
Nice, any source for that angle connector? Might fit Voyager extension boxes as well.
It's one of these:

https://www.l-com.com/d-sub-low-profile ... ble-exit-1

There's two types, so be careful to look for the right one. The orientation of the male connector changes depending on which one you get (180 degree flip). Also, check clearance for any case lip or edges. There's about 1" clearance from the panel to the angled housing, so good enough for most cases.

Also, they are a bastard to find in Europe. Not so hard for USA.

StillNotWorking
Veteran Wiggler

Post by StillNotWorking » Sun Mar 15, 2020 7:25 am

:tu:

Voltcontrol
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Voltcontrol » Sun Mar 15, 2020 9:30 am

With a bit of digging you can find those angled connectors on Aliexpress for just a fistful of dollars. Freakishly expensive when you buy them locally (which are usually also Chinese product) ..

Struggle
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Struggle » Sun Mar 15, 2020 9:45 am

Most probably know about this, but you can insert fx into the individual channels/voices of the Perfourmer and DRM1. I love to insert a ct5 or Shallow Water into one voice of Perfourmer while playing in polyphonic mode. Pretty unique feature.

Return to “General Gear”