Rack mounted FX

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

Lux A Turner
Common Wiggler

Re: Rack mounted FX

Post by Lux A Turner » Thu Mar 05, 2020 2:12 pm

col wrote:
Sun Mar 01, 2020 8:49 pm
TC Electronic M350. 1 knob per function, sounds great. Bit of a no-brainer if you are using it live.
Seconded. Two simultaneous FX - one delay / chorus / phase / flange plus reverb. Very quick and easy.

The old Zoom RFX-2000 marches on, too. The Lo-Fi effect in conjunction with a chorus does a passable BoC impression.

Flounderguts
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Flounderguts » Thu Mar 05, 2020 7:15 pm

Yeah, well with my modular I don't really need fx. But I wanted a rackmount for my theremin, and when I saw how the fx chain works, and how I can loop out the distortion and sub another pedal or rack in the chain there...it made sense. It's also reasonably light. And the ping pong stereo effect had me doing trampampoline gibbering.

I think the tap tempo thing will make it fun with my desktop synths as well. I will probably pick up an Alesis (any comments on MidiVerb II vs quadraverb vs ???) as well, eventually, but I really think this might do the trick. For now. It was more than I wanted to spend, but hey tax return and hey they seem to be rare now, so I should at least be able to sell it for that much. The $358 was shipping and taxes in (I live in Utah, and they collect taxes on online transactions.)

It should arrive tonight. Once I get it integrated into my setup, I'll post a theremin video with it.
----------------------

Flounderguts

Red Electric Rainbow
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Red Electric Rainbow » Fri Mar 06, 2020 10:30 am

wavejockey wrote:
Thu Mar 05, 2020 6:55 am
SONY DPS 55M : 200€
Ensoniq DP4 : 175€
KAWAI RV-4 : 75€
Where are you seeing a DP4 for that price?
TOO FAR GONE

wavejockey
Wiggling with Experience

Post by wavejockey » Sun Mar 08, 2020 11:25 am

over here in Belgium

Dave Kendall
Set The Controls . . .

Post by Dave Kendall » Sun Mar 08, 2020 12:05 pm

Flounderguts wrote:
Thu Mar 05, 2020 7:15 pm
< snip > I will probably pick up an Alesis (any comments on MidiVerb II vs quadraverb vs ???) <snip>
Unless you really want the ultra-simplistic UI of the MIDIverb II or simply must have a specific effect that it does, the Quadraverb is vastly more flexible and powerful, and has useful real-time assignable MIDI control over many parameters.
For a menu-driven machine, it's simple enough to use.

Its small room reverbs are still very usable today for some jobs, and the chorus>delay>reverb effects are wonderful pad thickeners.
I wouldn't use it as a main reverb for vocals or acoustic instruments though - it simply lacks the clarity and detail that a good lexicon or TC reverb has. For electronic music it is still highly useful, and is a nice flavour to have available in your palette.

It can clip nastily if overdriven at the input stage, so many users back off the input, making it noisier than more modern devices, but there are mods that can improve the signal/noise ratio using (I believe) a single zener diode, and possibly a resistor - I forget the exact details.

A high-ratio fast attack/release limiter on its input(s) also helps a lot with improving the noise spec.

Keep its mains wall-wart away from low-level and unbalanced signal cables - the PSU lump radiates hum. The inverse-square law is your friend there :)
"Everything in moderation, including moderation"

Flounderguts
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Flounderguts » Mon Mar 09, 2020 5:30 pm

Good advice
----------------------

Flounderguts

clusterchord
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by clusterchord » Thu Mar 12, 2020 3:42 pm

Midiverb II is a great choice, tho i prefer the sound of original Quadraverb and its set of algos for that 90s ambient reverb.

with that said, if you want quick to setup, and something where you can easily tweak things into sweet spot, i think the world of pedals is much more interesting. i mean, i love my PCM81, but it is NOT quick for editing in a spontaneous situation or live performance. however, my Strymon El Capistan delay and Eventide Space are just perfect.

in fact, my bandmate uses a Moog Theremin and we used these pedals for that in concert. the fact you can just turn the knob and quicky get what you want, dleay time, reverb decay time, highs lows,, is worth its weight in gold.
also, both pedals sound fantastic.

FS EU: Rene 1, Synthtech E370, MXR MF403 (pm me)
WTB EU: Jupiter 4 BA662, Octave Cat SRM (2040)

Return to “General Gear”