ROMplers with 90s samples

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

anselmi
Super Deluxe Wiggler

ROMplers with 90s samples

Post by anselmi » Tue Mar 10, 2020 11:52 am

I love the stabs on my E-Mu Proteus 2000, it have a lot of chord samples that sounds very 90s rave/house

I´m looking for other ROMplers in that sound vibe, better with this kind of chords/stabs samples but could be others that suit the style

I think the Yamaha TG-33 could be one...any other suggestions?

TheRosskonian
Veteran Wiggler

Re: ROMplers with 90s samples

Post by TheRosskonian » Tue Mar 10, 2020 12:27 pm

Not hardware, but the Rave Generator VST is the first thing that comes to mind. The price is right (free):

https://blog.wavosaur.com/rave-generato ... the-house/

PhineasFreak
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by PhineasFreak » Tue Mar 10, 2020 12:44 pm

emu orbit
https://thomaswulfe.bandcamp.com/
http://www.soundcloud.com/ylem-records/
http://www.soundcloud.com/best-of-ylem/
http://www.soundcloud.com/waxcide/
http://thomaswulfe.muffwiggler.com/
http://ljunggrenaudio.com/
http://waxcide.bandcamp.com/
Just remember what Phineas would say... "eurorack can get you through times of no money better than money can get you through times of no eurorack". - bkbirge/

(((EMP)))
Common Wiggler

Post by (((EMP))) » Tue Mar 10, 2020 1:31 pm

Quasimidi Quasar & Technox
Ensoniq MR-Rack
Roland JV-1080/2080/JD-990 w/ Techno & Dance Cards

EDIT: and since you already have the E-MU why not some ROMs for it like Rob Papen’s Techno Synth Construction Yard. TONS of techno/rave stabs. I highly recommend that one.

EDIT again: On second thought, Best thing for Stabs/Chords is a sampler. I’ve got bank and banks full of them in my E-MU E4XT Ultra.

22tape
Ultra Wiggler

Post by 22tape » Tue Mar 10, 2020 4:32 pm

Emu's Command Stations were pretty great-- XL-7 and MP-7. But maybe the sounds are too similar to the Proteus 2000's?

(((EMP)))
Common Wiggler

Post by (((EMP))) » Tue Mar 10, 2020 5:53 pm

22tape wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 4:32 pm
Emu's Command Stations were pretty great-- XL-7 and MP-7. But maybe the sounds are too similar to the Proteus 2000's?
The engine is exactly the same. Only the stock “ROM” is different. XL-7 = Orbit. MP-7 = Planet Phat, etc. The Command Stations are really cool though. :sb:

sparood
Wiggling with Experience

Post by sparood » Tue Mar 10, 2020 7:21 pm

So I guess you are talking early 90's here?

Maybe more lo-fi than what you are looking for but I really like my Kawai K-1 for cheesy sounds. Cheap to get too! Still need to learn to program it decently though, and I'm happy we progressed from the 2-line character screen.
Last edited by sparood on Tue Mar 10, 2020 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sparood
Wiggling with Experience

Post by sparood » Tue Mar 10, 2020 7:21 pm

oops

22tape
Ultra Wiggler

Post by 22tape » Tue Mar 10, 2020 7:53 pm

(((EMP))) wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 5:53 pm
22tape wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 4:32 pm
The engine is exactly the same. Only the stock “ROM” is different. XL-7 = Orbit. MP-7 = Planet Phat, etc. The Command Stations are really cool though. :sb:
That makes sense!

anselmi
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by anselmi » Wed Mar 11, 2020 1:44 am

TheRosskonian wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 12:27 pm
Not hardware, but the Rave Generator VST is the first thing that comes to mind. The price is right (free):

:eek: wow! I think it´s a bit on the cheese side of the rave stabs, but it could be interesting to explore, and it´s free, so why not? thanks!
(((EMP))) wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 1:31 pm
Quasimidi Quasar & Technox
Ensoniq MR-Rack
Roland JV-1080/2080/JD-990 w/ Techno & Dance Cards
good call on the Quasimidi ones! I forgot about them!
The Mr. Rack? really? I thought it was more like a "piano" ROMpler with a more refined sound
The Rolands could be interesting too, but you catched my attention with the Quasimidis
(((EMP))) wrote:
EDIT: and since you already have the E-MU why not some ROMs for it like Rob Papen’s Techno Synth Construction Yard. TONS of techno/rave stabs. I highly recommend that one.
I like some of the ROMs but this one is particulary expensive! people ask like $400 for this one and the Beat Garden, that comes standard with the Orbit V3 (basically a P-2K with a different wave set)

(((EMP))) wrote:
EDIT again: On second thought, Best thing for Stabs/Chords is a sampler. I’ve got bank and banks full of them in my E-MU E4XT Ultra.
I have a Digitakt, OP-1, OP-Z and Microsampler, so yeah, I could sample/load stabs from other places, but this old synths have a really nice lo-fi character that I like
sparood wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 7:21 pm
So I guess you are talking early 90's here?

Maybe more lo-fi than what you are looking for but I really like my Kawai K-1 for cheesy sounds. Cheap to get too! Still need to learn to program it decently though, and I'm happy we progressed from the 2-line character screen.
I forget to write that I have a K1m too...and yes, it´s more lo-fi, but I love it for this!

Analog Prophet
Common Wiggler

Post by Analog Prophet » Wed Mar 11, 2020 2:32 am

Different people define ROMpler different. At the beginning ROMplers were samplers without ability to sample (sampling was the mantra of keyboards at the second part of the 80s and first part of the 90s) but the sampled waveforms were stored in ROM chips (cheaper than expensive samplers at that time). Eventually the concept ROM has been changed and further developed as concept.

Some ROMplers that were heavy used by many at the 90s were Korg M1, EMU Proteus series and different rack ROMplers mentioned in this thread, Roland JV/XV series. Im not a big fan of non of them, sooner the opposite, except maybe some appreciation of Roland XV-5080 (had one at the 90s and still posses it, but rarely use it - I feel creative claustrophobic with ROMplers.
The best beat of any music
is the beat of your own heart

http://www.analogprophet.com

Blairio
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Blairio » Wed Mar 11, 2020 4:55 am

I still have my Emu Proteus 1 with the InVision Protologic card. It still sounds pretty impressive now, and back in the day it really raised the bar in terms of 'affordable' access to a really good (Emulator 3) sample library.

It missed a filter, but made up for it in other ways, such as three pairs of assignable outputs and 24 note polyphony.

(((EMP)))
Common Wiggler

Post by (((EMP))) » Wed Mar 11, 2020 1:02 pm

anselmi wrote:
Wed Mar 11, 2020 1:44 am
I have a Digitakt, OP-1, OP-Z and Microsampler, so yeah, I could sample/load stabs from other places, but this old synths have a really nice lo-fi character that I like
Yeah, this is why I prefer older samplers for stuff like this. A) they are spec’d better in many areas, and B) they sound better.
And you can get ALL the sound sets that were in the E-MU modules as CD-ROMS for the E-MU samplers. (I’ve got pretty much every one of them).
Although I do understand the reluctance of dealing with older machines. But now with SCSI2SD, things have gotten considerably easier.

In fact CD-ROMS/Sample CD’s in general from that era are a good source for what you’re looking for.

ersatzplanet
Synthwerks Design

Post by ersatzplanet » Wed Mar 11, 2020 1:08 pm

I have one of these. Not exactly stabs to hits, but the some of the bass ROMs have a very 90's feel to them. The 360 MIDI Bass module -
Screen Shot 2020-03-11 at 11.05.49 AM.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-James

James Husted - Synthwerks, LLC - www.synthwerks.com - info@synthwerks.com - james@synthwerks.com
Synthwerks is a proud member of the Mostly Modular Trade Association (http://www.mostlymodular.com).
Always looking to trade for Doepfer P6 cases

Flounderguts
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Flounderguts » Wed Mar 11, 2020 1:57 pm

+1 on the JV1080. I know people value it less, but the 2080 is awesome, too.

Also: Emu Audity 2000...I know the sound engine is the same as the XL1 and XL7, but I just find it easier to use. I love it. I should use it more often.
----------------------

Flounderguts

BenA718
Veteran Wiggler

Post by BenA718 » Wed Mar 11, 2020 2:33 pm

The Kurzweil K2000 can do all of the standard 90s fare plus a whole lot more!

My rack of 90s synths:
E-MU Proteus/1
E-MU Classic Keys
JV-880
JV-1080
JV-1010
Kurzweil K2000R

I actually love the crunchiness of the JV-1080's patches and sounds. And as notorious as the Roland is for menu diving, it's really not so bad once you learn your way around it. Palette view is your friend!

anselmi
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by anselmi » Thu Mar 12, 2020 12:26 am

Analog Prophet wrote:
Wed Mar 11, 2020 2:32 am
Different people define ROMpler different. At the beginning ROMplers were samplers without ability to sample (sampling was the mantra of keyboards at the second part of the 80s and first part of the 90s) but the sampled waveforms were stored in ROM chips (cheaper than expensive samplers at that time).

this is my definition of a ROMpler
Analog Prophet wrote:
Wed Mar 11, 2020 2:32 am
Some ROMplers that were heavy used by many at the 90s were Korg M1, EMU Proteus series and different rack ROMplers mentioned in this thread, Roland JV/XV series. Im not a big fan of non of them, sooner the opposite, except maybe some appreciation of Roland XV-5080 (had one at the 90s and still posses it, but rarely use it - I feel creative claustrophobic with ROMplers.
at the time (80s/90s) I hated ROMplers and avoided something like the K1 like a lethal disease, but now I like them because of their character and color...I love the imperfect samples that makes an 8-bit piano sounds just evocative of a piano instead of a perfect copy...hence my interest in this kind of gear

Also: I have an processing chain with Analog Heat - H9 - Big Sky that makes this synths shine...a bit of saturation, analog filter, stereo chorus and reverb gives me the modern version of them, while keeping their special flavor too

(((EMP))) wrote:
Wed Mar 11, 2020 1:02 pm
In fact CD-ROMS/Sample CD’s in general from that era are a good source for what you’re looking for.
I have some but not the with the sounds I´m looking for
do you know any resources to find this kind of samples?
Flounderguts wrote:
Wed Mar 11, 2020 1:57 pm
Also: Emu Audity 2000...I know the sound engine is the same as the XL1 and XL7, but I just find it easier to use. I love it. I should use it more often.
really? didn´t know the OS is so different that makes such a difference

3hands
Veteran Wiggler

Post by 3hands » Thu Mar 12, 2020 5:16 am

Check out the old Roland D series as well. The D10/D20 can still be had cheaply. My first digital synth was the D10 and I knew that thing inside out and backwards. I could get all sorts of aphex twin agressive stab sounds out of it.
Gum is fun, but not on a cat.

My minds an art gallery.

(((EMP)))
Common Wiggler

Post by (((EMP))) » Thu Mar 12, 2020 11:53 am

anselmi wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 12:26 am
(((EMP))) wrote:
Wed Mar 11, 2020 1:02 pm
I have some but not the with the sounds I´m looking for
do you know any resources to find this kind of samples?
Every conceivable sample CD from 25-30 years ago is available on the internet. Not sure what the policy is around here with posting links to stuff like that, but It’s all out there.

Admin edit - policy is no links to warez sites - thank you :)

I’ve amassed such a collection of this stuff over the years I literally don’t even know what I have :doh: I’m a sound hoarder :help:

clusterchord
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by clusterchord » Thu Mar 12, 2020 3:31 pm

anselmi wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 11:52 am
I love the stabs on my E-Mu Proteus 2000, it have a lot of chord samples that sounds very 90s rave/house

I´m looking for other ROMplers in that sound vibe, better with this kind of chords/stabs samples but could be others that suit the style
if i may offer a different idea for this.

i love 90s romplers and they are great for pads, and "period" sounds found in lot of house, idm, early rave, techno etc... i have my JD990 for years, and got Wavestation AD and Yamhaa TG500 in recent years.

however, for number of chord stabs, drums, hits etc, romplers are not cost effective with their miniscule roms. they dont offer a wide enough palette, and werent even primarily used for this back in the day.

instead i would wholeheartedly recommend getting an actual sampler from that era, the numero uno production machine, and with it grab a cpl of early cdroms like xtatic goldmine, zero g, etc... you will have "that" sound in an instant, and ton of choice. even better if you equip it with sd card or something to speed up use in a modern studio. just transfer a few cdroms to a SD and you are off. i am talking hundreds of megabytes that were all over early 90s releases.

for that, i would primarily take a look at Akai S950/1000/1100.

in addition to that, older lofi machines are great for getting that a chord stabby lofi "sampled from a record" tone out of anything, including sampling your own sources. for example, original Emu Emax is fantastic for that. S950 and Casio FZ too.

cheers

FS EU: Rene 1, Synthtech E370, MXR MF403 (pm me)
WTB EU: Jupiter 4 BA662, Octave Cat SRM (2040)

anselmi
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by anselmi » Thu Mar 12, 2020 5:15 pm

clusterchord wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 3:31 pm

instead i would wholeheartedly recommend getting an actual sampler from that era, the numero uno production machine, and with it grab a cpl of early cdroms like xtatic goldmine, zero g, etc... you will have "that" sound in an instant, and ton of choice. even better if you equip it with sd card or something to speed up use in a modern studio. just transfer a few cdroms to a SD and you are off. i am talking hundreds of megabytes that were all over early 90s releases.

for that, i would primarily take a look at Akai S950/1000/1100.

in addition to that, older lofi machines are great for getting that a chord stabby lofi "sampled from a record" tone out of anything, including sampling your own sources. for example, original Emu Emax is fantastic for that. S950 and Casio FZ too.

cheers
I owned the original Emax SE rack some years ago, and sold it because reasons that I can´t remember now :hmm: :despair:
I was thinking about get another one, or maybe a Mirage or FZ (all in rack since I´m running out of studio space)

But I think maybe is a better idea to wait to the Isla S2400...the SP mode seems to be good enough for me to recreate this vintage vibe (I owned a SP-12 turbo too, but this was decades ago)

By now I think I will start to collect this kind of samples...you fired some old memories in my head with names like the xtatic goldmine, hahah...true nostalgia!

If you remember or know more please list them here! It will save me some time digging in my old Keyboard and Future Music magazines (that btw are in my parets´house)

EDIT: I found a long list

Polestar Magnetics The X-Static Goldmine
Zero-G's DATAFILE series
LA Riot
Distorted Reality
Best Service XXLarge
Time & Space
Alpha Dance
EastWest Dance/Industrial
Phat & Phunky
Paul Hardcastle sample CD (don´t remember the name but it´s from 1992)
Norman Cook Skip to my loops
State Of The Art
AMG Black II Black
EastWest Dance Industrial
Ueberschall/Mousse T - Houseworks
VInylistics Volume 1
Jambox
Methods of Mayhem
Vince Clarke Lucky Bastard
jungle warfare series
zero-g ambient
zero-g Interface Dance
dance megadrums
Zero-G Planet of the Breaks
Vengeance Essential Clubsounds Vol. 1
Best Service Horny Clubsounds

clusterchord
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by clusterchord » Thu Mar 12, 2020 7:13 pm

well, from practical viewpoint, i think you want something that can easily and natively read all those famous 90s cdrom titles... and that means Akai. its of course possible to transfer to other systems but unless its an old sampler that can read akai (like S760 or EOS line for example) it can get complicated. (after i sol my hardware, i used chicken systems so i can feed Kontakt with it.)

the new SP does not have the original lofi converter, nor the transposition algorithm, so i dont expect it will sound anything like the original. it will have a mode to lofi the otherwise high output resolution, but thats something you can do on DAW already, like adding a single end process. and this never delivers the original tone.

SP has those wonderful ringmod artifacts especially when you sample into it on higher pitch to save memory and then pitch down in playback. i still have my sp12 turbo. my favorite digital/hybrid machine. not used in 90s house/rave/trance, but it is of course found in 90s hiphop/triphop/chill/downtempo and similar.

as for CDROMS, imo you definitely want the first two Xtatic Goldmines (there were about 5 volumes) and Zero G Datafile vol 1. get other ones too if you can findem. simply does not get any more classic than that.

yes i remember dance mega drums, still have that somewhere. still usem in daw.

also remember using EIII Phase series, XXL Killer Loops, State Of the Art. now Phat n Phunky - that was just uber fantastic double disc for chill, downtempo, trip hop i was into in late 90s, but i lent it to someone before transfering to daw, and never saw it again :cry: . loved Distorted Reality too. that one was seminal release at the time.

FS EU: Rene 1, Synthtech E370, MXR MF403 (pm me)
WTB EU: Jupiter 4 BA662, Octave Cat SRM (2040)

swish
Learning to Wiggle

Post by swish » Thu Mar 12, 2020 7:21 pm

TheRosskonian wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 12:27 pm

Well well well :hyper: :guinness:

anselmi
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by anselmi » Thu Mar 12, 2020 7:45 pm

clusterchord wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 7:13 pm

the new SP does not have the original lofi converter, nor the transposition algorithm, so i dont expect it will sound anything like the original. it will have a mode to lofi the otherwise high output resolution, but thats something you can do on DAW already, like adding a single end process. and this never delivers the original tone.
yeah, maybe from a purist pov it´s not the same...I´m not into the SP´s fetish/lab test group for sure, so for me and for the price it´s a great solution...and yes, almost anything can be done with software, not just lo-fi sampling, but I preffer a piece of hardware for compose music...I can´t make anything decent with software and it´s not for how it sounds but for the workflow

Red Electric Rainbow
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Red Electric Rainbow » Fri Mar 13, 2020 1:11 pm

I think the early Roland Grooveboxes fall into the rompler category.

The Yamaha CS1x and CS2x are both wicked romplers imo.
TOO FAR GONE

Return to “General Gear”