Novation Xiosynth - is there a midi in hack?

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

c0ntr4d1ct10n
Common Wiggler

Novation Xiosynth - is there a midi in hack?

Post by c0ntr4d1ct10n » Wed Mar 11, 2020 10:11 am

I just got a cheap 2nd hand xiosynth and am really enjoying the sound.

Of course I knew that there is no midi in port, but then I see that there is a setting for aftertouch. I also know that the keyboard itself does not transmit aftertouch, so I wondered if there must be some way to hook up an aftertouch controller such as the Keystep to it.

I have read online that people can use their DAWs to send midi out into the xiosynth via the usb port. Is the only way to control the xiosynth via a daw on a computer? The info online is confusing but is it possible to control the xiosynth with another midi controller like the Keystep without running it via a computer?

chvad
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Novation Xiosynth - is there a midi in hack?

Post by chvad » Wed Mar 11, 2020 11:57 pm

if you ant to do it without a computer and the device you want to use for controlling it is class compliant you can use something like the Kenton USB Host instead of a computer. It's still a box and an AC adapter to mess with but it's smaller and lighter than a laptop.

If you use a computer... pretty much any midi device can send the xiosynth data through its USB connection if I remember correctly. It's been awhile since I had one.

c0ntr4d1ct10n
Common Wiggler

Re: Novation Xiosynth - is there a midi in hack?

Post by c0ntr4d1ct10n » Fri Mar 13, 2020 8:59 am

Thanks, I have the iconnect midi4+ but still can't get it working. I set the hybrid mode on the xiosynth to 2 to allow midi to be received and I'm pretty sure I've routed the usb host (which is what I am plugging the usb cable from the xiosynth into) to the midi DIN 1 input port. The iconnect config tool is confusing as hell to use though so I'm not sure if I'm doing it correctly.

Return to “General Gear”