Moog Matriarch 70’s Stringer sounds?

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

scottsikon
1-Post Wiggler

Moog Matriarch 70’s Stringer sounds?

Post by scottsikon » Sun Mar 15, 2020 10:13 pm

Hello,
Can the Moog Matriarch make 70’s stringer sounds? Like Jean Michelle Jarre’s Oxygène and Tangerine Dream. I’m thinking of sounds like Yamaha cs80, korg Trident.

Thanks

commodorejohn
Ultra Wiggler

Re: Moog Matriarch 70’s Stringer sounds?

Post by commodorejohn » Sun Mar 15, 2020 11:13 pm

Pretty much any polysynth can do stringer-esque sounds when sawtooth waves are combined with a nice lush chorus effect, which is mostly what the vintage articles are anyway. That said, the Matriarch doesn't seem like an especially apt choice - if I'm reading the rundown correctly, it has only four VCOs total, which isn't a lot for building up nice big chords, especially if you want the stacked octave ranks that most stringers offered. Plus, it doesn't have an on-board chorus. You could do it, but for the money I'd pick up something with more polyphony and (ideally) a good built-in chorus instead.
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/SH-09/MT-32/D-50, Yamaha DX7/V50/TX7/TG33/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini/ARP Odyssey/DW-8000, Ensoniq SQ-80

"'Legacy code' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

Voltcontrol
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Voltcontrol » Mon Mar 16, 2020 7:19 am

.. never mind
Last edited by Voltcontrol on Mon Mar 16, 2020 7:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

The Goob
Common Wiggler

Post by The Goob » Mon Mar 16, 2020 7:22 am

The Matriarch has an onboard stereo delay, and you can modulate the delay times and set a delay time offset between L/R. Theoretically you should be able to patch a stereo chorus.

How well it works on the Matriarch would depend on whether you're able to apply very subtle modulation to the delay time - I didn't have much luck with this in my brief time with the synth but didn't put much effort into it either.

JimY
Common Wiggler

Post by JimY » Thu Mar 19, 2020 7:31 am

A saw wave is obvious, but I find a thin PWM pulse can be better. Sine LFO at about 0.6Hz. Bias the PWM on the thin side - don't let it get too close to 50%. The PWM rate represents the slow LFO of an ensemble chorus. A little sine vibrato at 6Hz for the fast ensemble LFO. Most stringer notes are high pass filtered individually, so a key tracking high pass - just enough to weaken the fundamental. Finally, a fixed low pass at 5khz to represent the upper limit of the string instruments.

commodorejohn
Ultra Wiggler

Re: Moog Matriarch 70's Stringer sounds?

Post by commodorejohn » Thu Mar 19, 2020 1:24 pm

Yeah, "saw + chorus" is just a first-order approximation - the waveform produced by even an ideal array-of-octave-dividers is a stepped sawtooth at best (limited by how many octaves you want to generate/gang up,) and most real stringers filter the result to one extent or another. It's all down to how many function blocks/modules you want to throw at the problem...before just giving in and buying a real one ;)
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/SH-09/MT-32/D-50, Yamaha DX7/V50/TX7/TG33/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini/ARP Odyssey/DW-8000, Ensoniq SQ-80

"'Legacy code' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

Return to “General Gear”