Mackie Profx12V3

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

Derkdigg1er
Learning to Wiggle

Mackie Profx12V3

Post by Derkdigg1er » Tue Mar 17, 2020 12:46 pm

Does anyone have experience with mixers that uses them mostly for synths. I am thinking about purchasing this for my first mixer.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail ... th-effects

I have a eurorack setup that’s stereo, digitakt and a sub37. I wanted to future proof and have enough channels for a polyphonic synth in the future. Plus I have some stereo effects guitar pedals. Any recommendations or if anyone has this mixer can give some input. Thanks!

Dave Peck
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Mackie Profx12V3

Post by Dave Peck » Tue Mar 17, 2020 4:08 pm

That would work, but for future proofing you may want to consider more than just the number of channels.

Like the number of aux sends:

Or try to find a used Mackie Onyx 1640 in good condition.

Derkdigg1er
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Derkdigg1er » Tue Mar 17, 2020 9:55 pm

Dave Peck wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 4:08 pm
That would work, but for future proofing you may want to consider more than just the number of channels.

Like the number of aux sends:

Or try to find a used Mackie Onyx 1640 in good condition.
I’m not sure I understand what an aux send does. I tried looking it up but I’m not sure how I would apply it.

Blairio
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Blairio » Tue Mar 17, 2020 10:03 pm

I have used a Mackie 1402 VLZ for 22 years now.

I use it for mixing synths before recording them into my Mac mini via an MOTU M4 interface.

The 3 band EQ is fixed but musical, there are 2 aux send & returns, the mic preamps are quiet and have a decent amount of gain, and the channels will happily accept modular signal levels.

I think for your purpose, you do do a lot worse than pick up a used 14 or 16 channel VLZ, for not a lot of money.

ersatzplanet
Synthwerks Design

Post by ersatzplanet » Wed Mar 18, 2020 1:31 pm

Derkdigg1er wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 9:55 pm
I’m not sure I understand what an aux send does. I tried looking it up but I’m not sure how I would apply it.
AUX sends would be used to send specific channels (one or more) of input to external effects units to be returned to the mixer via the associated AUX returns. You could use them to send different channels to reverbs, echos etc, and they needn't be external effects too, you can send unaffected channels to effects in the modular and back out to the mixer. Think of it as a sub mixer. You have the main mixer controls to mix the main outs, you have the AUX sends to make a completely different mix to be used any way you want. This could be monitor sends, more channels to be recorded, whatever you want.
-James

James Husted - Synthwerks, LLC - www.synthwerks.com - info@synthwerks.com - james@synthwerks.com
Synthwerks is a proud member of the Mostly Modular Trade Association (http://www.mostlymodular.com).
Always looking to trade for Doepfer P6 cases

Dave Peck
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Dave Peck » Wed Mar 18, 2020 1:45 pm

Derkdigg1er wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 9:55 pm

An Aux send routes the channel's signal to some additional (auxiliary) destination, besides the usual L/R main outputs.

The main fader controls the level of the channel's signal that goes to the main L/R.

An AUX knob on that on that channel sends the signal somewhere else, too, like to a reverb FX device.

So if you have a few different effects devices that you want to use at the same time, and apply 'effect #1' to some channels, and 'effect #2 ' to some different channels, it's good to have a mixer with a few separate AUX sends on each channel - you connect your reverb device to AUX 1, and turning up the AUX 1 knob on any channel sends that channel's audio to the reverb. Connect your long delay/echo device to AUX 2, and turning up the AUX 2 knob on any channel sends that channel's audio to the long delay/echo. Etc.

Or, in a live setting, you can use it to send audio to the monitor speakers on stage that are pointed back at the band. Having dedicated MON AUX controls on each channel for doing this allows you to create a different, dedicated mix just for the monitors, so you can hear what YOU need to hear on stage, which may be different from the mix you want the AUDIENCE to hear. For example, a bass player in a band may want to hear a lot of kick and snare drum mic signal in his monitor speaker, so you would turn up the MON AUX knob on the kick and snare channel so the monitor speaker mix has lots of kick and snare, but the CHANNEL FADERS on your mixer still control the main L/R mix (the audience mix).

Think of aux sends as "Y" cables coming out of each channel, but with volume controls on them - they are branching each channel's signal off to additional destinations, and giving you an independent level control for each of these "Y" branches to create multiple separate mixes.

Return to “General Gear”