Recommendations for wall mounting synths

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

thealienthing
Learning to Wiggle

Recommendations for wall mounting synths

Post by thealienthing » Wed Mar 18, 2020 3:13 pm

Any one here mount their synths to the wall kind of like at a music store? I’m looking for ways to make my synths accessible and display them well and mounting them in the wall feels like a good way to go. It would be cool to have all the power, audio and midi routes neatly behind and they can be accessed directly or through a master keyboard. Thoughts? If anyone is doing this, do you have recommendations for wall mounts?

Thanks! :tu:

daveholiday
Veteran Wiggler

Re: Recommendations for wall mounting synths

Post by daveholiday » Wed Mar 18, 2020 3:49 pm

Wall mounting would be a somewhat permanent installation, but if you don't plan to move stuff around a bunch, might no matter. I have been personally thinking of doing this myself and have some interesting ideas. I only have 4 "keyboard" synths so my ideas might not work with your particular setup. But, I am always "brain-storming" so what do you have, and what are you thinking? More specifically, are you needing them to be "playable" in a traditional sense, or just accessible for parameter tweaking switching patches etc....

Aesthetics or ergonomics?

Let me know what you are looking for and I would be happy to toss you some ideas!
It is all shits and giggles,

until somebody giggles and shits.

gearhead61
Common Wiggler

Post by gearhead61 » Wed Mar 18, 2020 4:38 pm

If you're interested in prefab, Sweetwater is selling these:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail ... ger-system

I believe these were being used in their keyboard showroom when I visited last summer ~
very sturdy, tidy installation.

Would liked to have used these myself ~
but my "bonus room studio" doesn't have much vertical wall space... :roll:
So much gear, so little time...

thealienthing
Learning to Wiggle

Post by thealienthing » Wed Mar 18, 2020 4:47 pm

daveholiday wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 3:49 pm
Wall mounting would be a somewhat permanent installation, but if you don't plan to move stuff around a bunch, might no matter. I have been personally thinking of doing this myself and have some interesting ideas. I only have 4 "keyboard" synths so my ideas might not work with your particular setup. But, I am always "brain-storming" so what do you have, and what are you thinking? More specifically, are you needing them to be "playable" in a traditional sense, or just accessible for parameter tweaking switching patches etc....

Aesthetics or ergonomics?

Let me know what you are looking for and I would be happy to toss you some ideas!
Well since my wife is a pretty intense graphic designer, I’m very keen on aesthetics so that she’s as excited about me having my synths out in the open all the time as I am. I’ve only got a few keyboard synths but I’ve got a few desktop modules as well. I’m feeling much more into the idea of parameter accessibility rather than direct playing. I’d really prefer to keep the best pieces with keyboards on the bottom and then have the smaller ones up top for tweaking.

RickKleffel
Wiggling with Experience

Post by RickKleffel » Wed Mar 18, 2020 5:23 pm

Has anyone wall-mounted a GRP2 or GRP4?

Dave Peck
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Dave Peck » Wed Mar 18, 2020 5:33 pm

have you considered some type of pre-fab wire rack system, like those sold in hardware stores for use as adjustable closet shelving systems?

Like so:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/ClosetMaid- ... /206497503

pekbro
Common Wiggler

Post by pekbro » Wed Mar 18, 2020 5:34 pm

I have seriously wanted to make a few more of these 6U by 60 hp oak cases I have, mount them on tracks
and hang them on the wall. I want to devise a way to make them move both vertically and horizontally
so I can make a wall mounted, eurorack, rubik's cube (one side anyway). :sb:

I would probably go with something like woodworking bench T-Tracks with rigged mounting hardware.
plenty of strength and easily concealable. You could actually make a grid with these and have them move
side to side and up and down.

Universal T-Track

Blairio
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Blairio » Thu Mar 19, 2020 10:10 pm

I don't know how heavy your synths are, but make sure your shelves or whatever are well anchored to the wall, especially if the wall is stud-partition rather than brick.

I used to use free standing A-frame keyboard stands that could hold 4 synths. You couldn't really play the top or bottom keyboards, but you could get at the control panels to call up patches and tweak parameters.

Voltcontrol
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Voltcontrol » Fri Mar 20, 2020 4:16 am

I've installed a wall mounted (custom built) floating dj desk (turntable and mixer setup) on a crumbly indoor wall.
Long thick bolt through the wall and metal plates on both sides, also added wall mounted shelf on the other side to cover up the plate & bolt end on the other side and counter balance the weight, not sure if the latter was even necessary.
Could take a huge amount of punishment.

Method is also suitable for heavy synths I guess. :sb:

cg_funk
Wiggling with Experience

Post by cg_funk » Fri Mar 20, 2020 4:27 am

Whatever you do I'm sure it'll look awesome because modular always looks awesome, but be sure to consider the ergonomics of your wall-mount! You could end up with some gnarly back pain if you set it up like the synth store... those places have their modular displays arranged to look very nice but not necessarily be easy to play for hours on end. They just want you to test the modules really fast and buy them afterall, not to create soundtracks.

Also, post pictures when you are done!!

StillNotWorking
Veteran Wiggler

Post by StillNotWorking » Wed Mar 25, 2020 4:13 pm

Not sure I go so far as calling this a recommendation. But this is how I ended doing it.
wallrails.jpg
Mounted wall rails on all four walls with the intention to use standard brackets with my keyboards. Plan where to angle the keys by simply build up the shelf on the rear. That idea proved to be my usual brain fart due to not enough space between the keyboards to use them effectively.

Then I had to modify the brackets with a handsaw and borrowed velder to have them angeled to different heights.
Some creative nail bending and rubber tubing now function as end stop on each bracket with keyboard resting direcly on the bracked without a shelf plate.
IMG_0369_1.jpg
IMG_4233.JPG
nails_small.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
looking for service manual for the Clavia ddrum AT or ddrum III

dougt
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dougt » Thu Mar 26, 2020 7:27 pm

There have been a few other threads on this topic. I am using Standtastic arm kits with industrial strut -

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=33680&start=9

pettycash
Common Wiggler

Post by pettycash » Sat Mar 28, 2020 8:42 am

You can get slanted magazine style fittings that have 2 settings

http://www.storagesolutions.co.uk/stora ... /spur.html

been using this in my studio for several years and they work really well. For heavy synth the might need reinforcing or removing the feet in the synth have a deep profile.

pettycash
Common Wiggler

Post by pettycash » Sat Mar 28, 2020 8:42 am

Here's a pic
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

StillNotWorking
Veteran Wiggler

Post by StillNotWorking » Sat Mar 28, 2020 9:38 am

:bang: If now only there where a standard for those wall rails
looking for service manual for the Clavia ddrum AT or ddrum III

phesago
Wiggling with Experience

Post by phesago » Sat Mar 28, 2020 9:44 am

DougT posted in a similar thread years ago about using a combination of HomeDepots strut and standtastic arms. Ive doing that set up this weekend, mianly so I can mount my 32 channel mackie and save a whole bunch of room
"it is about holding people responsible when they are shitty and do shitty things." -MoogProDG

"I personally find this misquote humorous b/c whats his nuts complained about being ripped off and I get to help do it again LOL"

Return to “General Gear”