NerdSEQ Portable

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: luketeaford, lisa, Kent, Joe.

mongrol
Common Wiggler

NerdSEQ Portable

Post by mongrol » Wed Mar 18, 2020 9:58 pm

Hot on the heels of the Polyend Tracker comes a portable version of XOR's Nerdseq.

https://xor-electronics.com/nerdseq-portable/
Hardware:

– 3.5″ Colour Graphics IPS display with a resolution of 480 x 320 pixels
– microSD connector accessible for project and sample management
– Midi I/O
– Stereo Line and Headphone out
– Line in
– USB
– Expander port for NSA (Nerd-Sound-Adapter) integration to directly use the NerdSEQ Eurorack Expanders (CV16, Trigger16…)
– Portable use

Firmware:
– 8 Tracks for each Midi, Sampling, Sound or Expanders
– 254 Sequencer rows
– 254 Patterns with each 64 (and less) Steps
– flexible and comfortable arrangement of patterns
– Capable for advanced song arrangements as well as live access to patterns
– 254 Patches/Instruments
– 64 Tables with 16 (and less) steps
– 8 Automation slots
– 32 Sample slots
– 16 Bit Stereo Sample support. 150 sec sample memory
– Sample recording
– Projects as many as the SD card can hold
– Launchpad Integration
– With expansions also integrated CV and Gate/Trigger sequencing
– 4 voice polyphonic for Midi tracks
– Integrated Sound synthesizer
…..and much more….
No price yet, slated for June 2020 (good luck with that)

Trackers Overboard!

revtor
Dialing it in..

Re: NerdSEQ Portable

Post by revtor » Thu Mar 19, 2020 8:20 am

These guys need to forget the tiny displays and put an hdmi port on the thing. Add usb for a keyboard and 4midi outputs. Give us the real experience. A diy project I’ve had for years but will not be able to climb that FPGA learning curve. Get on it men!
Tracker/gameboy has existed for years let’s move on.

Steve
Fellow North Jersey Synthaholic

geremyf
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by geremyf » Thu Mar 19, 2020 10:33 am

XOR-electronics has demonstrated HDMI output from NerdSEQ, so it shouldn't be a too large ask for the portable.

geetee
Common Wiggler

Post by geetee » Thu Mar 19, 2020 2:03 pm

from the manual:

"Not available expanders yet but coming soon:

Video → Adds HDMI and composite video output and a computer keyboard input for real
tracker feeling"

geremyf
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by geremyf » Thu Mar 19, 2020 3:32 pm

Now that I have seen the long Leloop video of the Polyend Tracker, I think I would prefer the NerdSEQ. he has demonstrated tremendous flexibility and competency on the firmware front and seems to get the tracker workflow a bit more.

Basterdman
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Basterdman » Sun Mar 22, 2020 1:03 am

I am super excited to see this flesh out. I do wish the NerdSEQ could show 8 tracks at a time. But having knobs, puts the Nerd ahead of polyend. but the 8 track view on polyend really speaks to me.

revtor
Dialing it in..

Post by revtor » Sun Mar 22, 2020 8:29 am

HDMI+ keyboard .. NOW WE’re TALKIN!!

mongrol
Common Wiggler

Post by mongrol » Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:46 pm

So like a PC then? :)

cat_abyss
Common Wiggler

Post by cat_abyss » Wed Mar 25, 2020 4:22 am

mongrol wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:46 pm
A pc with dc-coupled audio outs, a few seconds boot time, no weird windows updates corrupting your data, no cat videos and hopefully no ransomware ;)

geetee
Common Wiggler

Post by geetee » Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:01 pm

cat_abyss wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 4:22 am
mongrol wrote:
A pc with dc-coupled audio outs, a few seconds boot time, no weird windows updates corrupting your data, no cat videos and hopefully no ransomware ;)
sounds good to me :love:

geremyf
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by geremyf » Wed Mar 25, 2020 7:39 pm

Hmm, I hope cat videos are still a possibility here.

But in all seriousness, I hope the that the Polyend device doesn't interfere with these plans. One differentiator would be the inclusion of a battery, which the polyend does not have.

Voltcontrol
Ravey Dave

Post by Voltcontrol » Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:46 pm

geremyf wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 7:39 pm
Hmm, I hope cat videos are still a possibility here.

But in all seriousness, I hope the that the Polyend device doesn't interfere with these plans. One differentiator would be the inclusion of a battery, which the polyend does not have.
Stereo sampling and a lot more automation slots are definitely good differentiators.

mongrol
Common Wiggler

Post by mongrol » Wed Mar 25, 2020 11:36 pm

cat_abyss wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 4:22 am
mongrol wrote:
So a linux PC then?

revtor
Dialing it in..

Post by revtor » Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:17 pm

No not a pc. Just something you can buy, plug in and have working in 3 minutes.
No distractions no updates, Just straightforward sequencing.

SPIKE the Percussionist
Veteran Wiggler

Post by SPIKE the Percussionist » Sat Mar 28, 2020 11:15 pm

geetee wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 2:03 pm
from the manual:

"Not available expanders yet but coming soon:

Video → Adds HDMI and composite video output and a computer keyboard input for real
tracker feeling"
i would be interested in this if this expander adds these features!

that screen is ridiculously too small for all of that info.
++

more noiz!

SPIKE the Percussionist

- http://www.manipulate.net -

ASTROGENIC HALLUCINAUTING
CoRE - Constructs of Ritual Evolution
DOGGEBI
Fiddle Witch and the Demons of Doom
morgue city
Unified Space

solipsvs
Wiggling with Experience

Post by solipsvs » Mon Mar 30, 2020 11:35 pm

yeah those polyend guys dont give you too much to work with, my seq only accesses 1 cc value per track. who wants that? they dont even want to respond. just another barely equipped device (with a better price of course) from polyend. the ol’ barely give you what you need to sell the next one trick. unless theres good competition of course!

toxoplasma_gondii
Common Wiggler

Post by toxoplasma_gondii » Tue Apr 07, 2020 2:00 pm

I am wondering if it would be possible to transfer projects from the Nerdseq Portable to the eurorack version via the SD card. It would be awesome to be able to carry the Portable around, developing compositions with samples, and then transfer them to the rack to sequence modular voices. I don't really like the idea of having a ribbon cable sticking out of my rack (to connect the Portable to expanders). However, since there is no mention of this in the description, I am assuming the differences in firmware wouldn't allow it.

firestARTer
Wiggling with Experience

Post by firestARTer » Fri May 08, 2020 3:47 am

Let me get out some more information here.

I'm working hard to get it finished and getting there step by step.
I just want to react on some posts here and get back to work :)

-> The portable will also get the HDMI output. But beside that the screen itself is also already very good. NerdSEQ users can confirm that even though with the small screen you got a good overview and nothing is really too small. The fonts are actually bigger than the ones from your smartphone. (About the FPGA learning curve...this is not a DIY project but i don't have also a 10 person team like others probably have. I run everything all alone and got to think about what i use my limited time for very well. Learning a complete new way of doing stuff until it it can be used in a professional way is often not an option. However, i got HDMI and Composite.)

-> You can put a battery inside and if that is not enough you can still go the powerbank way.

-> View of 8 tracks at the same time. Don't forget that you have a very limited view if you see all 8 tracks (or lets say the patterns of 8 tracks). NerdSEQ has much more information in each pattern than only a musicnote. So it wouldn't really make sense. Not to mention that a 8 track view shows 8 monophonic tracks...the NerdSEQ has polyphonic tracks.

-> Sharing projects between NerdSEQ and NerdSEQ P : I am planning this. But i got to see how advanced possible it will be. SInce the Portable has more power, they is also more stuff included. Also just like with the NerdSEQ, depending on if a track is for modular or for example Midi, the functions of a track differ...for example a midi track has 4 notes with velocity while a modular track has 1 note, 1 mod, 1 trigger/gate etc...so loading these projects will most probably be a 'best effort' thing and you would need to add the bits you need. But it's also a feature i want to have myself, so i will probably find a good way.

-> The expander connection is not via a ribbon cable. The NerdSEQ P got a dedicated port for the exanders which connects through a 'network' cable (CAT5) to a adapter module in the rack.

Planned release is the end of summer, but we'll see if all will be ready until then. Goal price is 299 - 349 Euro (ex), but that also depends on the final production costs.
Some final words now, i also don't plan to be a competition to the Polyend one. I think the tracker is cool and they will for sure sell enough of those. But the concepts differ also in many points. As many of you know, i am busy with a standalone NerdSEQ / Nerdsynth since quite a while, but focussed mainly on the NerdSEQ eurorack 'ecosystem'. I have running prototypes for years already, but i just needed to get the final concept for it. And i was busy with that the last months to shape it. And mainly this is something i really want to have myself, so it is a lot of enthousiasm involved.
So yes i'm getting there slowly and if you know the NerdSEQ already a bit, then you know it will be worth to wait for.
NerdSEQ - one of the most advanced Eurorack Sequencers
https://www.xor-electronics.com

Voltcontrol
Ravey Dave

Post by Voltcontrol » Fri May 08, 2020 4:18 am

Besides a lot of very positive feedback on features and usability plus liking the way you seem to approach development, it should be said that the suggested price is amazing. I'd order one today if early bird or a similar programme opens up.

Plz take my money!!!

More information on sampling would be ace! A great editing workflow is obviously the most important. And a feature request if I may: I'm really hoping for something similar to MPC's auto-sampling (multisample a monosynth, be able to play it back polyphonically), that would be very powerful indeed.

P.s. Thank you for chiming in here on Muffs about the NerdSeq Portable, so stoked that you are going to make it reality.
P.p.s. Didn't know that NerdSeq is operating from the Netherlands!

h4ndcrafted
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by h4ndcrafted » Fri May 08, 2020 6:40 am

What is the suggested price ?

Nm, I see it’s in the post before.
We don't want to conquer space at all. We want to expand Earth endlessly. We don't want other worlds; we want a mirror.

firestARTer
Wiggling with Experience

Post by firestARTer » Fri May 08, 2020 6:53 am

Voltcontrol wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 4:18 am
Besides a lot of very positive feedback on features and usability plus liking the way you seem to approach development, it should be said that the suggested price is amazing. I'd order one today if early bird or a similar programme opens up.

Plz take my money!!!

More information on sampling would be ace! A great editing workflow is obviously the most important. And a feature request if I may: I'm really hoping for something similar to MPC's auto-sampling (multisample a monosynth, be able to play it back polyphonically), that would be very powerful indeed.

P.s. Thank you for chiming in here on Muffs about the NerdSeq Portable, so stoked that you are going to make it reality.
P.p.s. Didn't know that NerdSeq is operating from the Netherlands!
It has the workflow and editing of the NerdSEQ with some advantages since they are more buttons. Information about the sampling will be there at some point. Mainly expect the sampling possibilities of the current NerdSEQ but with much longer sampling time, 16 bit stereo but then much more power to the samples, mixer etc. It has Line and Mic inputs to record stuff. I'm not planning to copy MPC or any other features. But if it makes sense and would definitely be a benefit for most users, then things can and will be implemented. The feature requests on the XOR forum are also for the portable later on and i will also constantly keep an eye on it and check out demands etc... many features were added by this already.

Groetjes :hihi:
NerdSEQ - one of the most advanced Eurorack Sequencers
https://www.xor-electronics.com

BenA718
Veteran Wiggler

Post by BenA718 » Fri May 08, 2020 7:28 am

Dumb question: will this use that same file format? Can I transfer saved songs between this and the Eurorack version?

gminorcoles
Common Wiggler

Post by gminorcoles » Fri May 08, 2020 2:02 pm

I am excited about this tool. I have never successfully gotten my modular career off the ground so this looks more suitable for me.

Question - can the NerdSeq load and play midi files say from my computer? I currently push SMF files to my MPC 4000, which acts as my final midi sequencer with sufficiently locked timing when I am done sequencing on my DAW ( I know that it bad but it is really fast and easy. ). I would like something newer and easier to do this role ( in addition to making sequences on the NerdSeq itself ). The ability to use a monitor would also be a really big deal to me, I could add the NerdSeq to my KVM box.

elektrokick
Wiggling with Experience

Post by elektrokick » Sat May 09, 2020 9:31 am

First off, the nerdseq P looks amazing. I had the OG nerdseq on loan for a little while and it was a joy to learn and use. Big fan of tracker sequencing in general. If the portable version gets released within the mentioned pricerange it's an instant buy from me, together with the 16 trigger + CV expansion modules.
firestARTer wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 3:47 am
-> The expander connection is not via a ribbon cable. The NerdSEQ P got a dedicated port for the exanders which connects through a 'network' cable (CAT5) to a adapter module in the rack.
Do you have any idea yet how many hp this CAT5 adapter module will be? Would be nice to know how much space I need to "set aside" in my rack for the adapter module + trigger16 and cv16 :party:
Getting wiggly with it.

geecen
Veteran Wiggler

Post by geecen » Tue May 12, 2020 5:20 am

This sounds very exciting! Ha a couple of questions:

-Do you have any more info on the integrated sound synthesiser you mention in the specs?
-What do the '64 tables' refer to? Are these wavetables?
-Would there be a stand alone version of the expanders? Just thinking about the best way to integrate with diy banana synth.
-Will there be a kickstarter or crowndfunding/pre-order thing? Or will it just get a straight release?

Keep up the great work - looks amazing!

Return to “General Gear”