Echoplex Digital Pro: Any Opinions in 2020?

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

syncretism
Morbidly self-aware and liking it

Echoplex Digital Pro: Any Opinions in 2020?

Post by syncretism » Thu Mar 19, 2020 1:33 am

I’ve always been curious about the Oberheim and Gibson EDP. The LOOP software looks comprehensive - daunting, even. Buy or pass for an EDP newb in 2020?

doombient.music
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Echoplex Digital Pro: Any Opinions in 2020?

Post by doombient.music » Thu Mar 19, 2020 4:26 am

It's a useful tool -- I have two that I use as a stereo pair for ambient delay loops of up to three minutes. Never used it as some type of phrase sampler to accompany myself with, with layer upon layer of riffing etc. I always thought the Boss PC would be a better (and easier-to-use) option if it comes to this type of application as the Echoplex is extremely complex (I have only scratched the surface, I must admit, but I prefer using it as some kind of Lexicon Jamman on steroids -- just determine a loop length and add layer upon layer of ambient sound).

I have two original Oberheim units, they tend to be a tad noisy (my tech tried to solve this issue, now it's a bit better). They seem to be a bit iffy occasionally when tied to each other using the Brother sync and MIDI functions. Can't vouch for the Loop IV OS which was developed by the late Kim Flint -- seems to turn the original Echoplex into a totally different machine but I never got round to installing it, and now it seems to be unobtainium. No idea whether anybody of the original Echoplex people (e. g. Matthias Grob), or those involved with Kim Flint, still support it.

Stephen

Happyanimal
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Happyanimal » Thu Mar 19, 2020 12:48 pm

There is nothing else remotely like it. Still have mine with loopIV. Instant idea machine/ mirror when you plug the foot switch into it. Started using it with guitar when it came out around 96. Have used it with everything since. Just wish there was a way to store the loop digitally (midi sample dump takes forever), but alas it was built 20+ years ago at this point.

jimfowler
Veteran Wiggler

Post by jimfowler » Thu Mar 19, 2020 2:47 pm

Looperlative LP-1 is another one worth checking out if you can find one.

Happyanimal
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Happyanimal » Thu Mar 19, 2020 5:28 pm

jimfowler wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 2:47 pm
Awesome specs but I found it impossible to use. They have a new model now too.

jimfowler
Veteran Wiggler

Post by jimfowler » Thu Mar 19, 2020 7:06 pm

No, not nearly as immediate as the EDP but I got along with mine and the fidelity and capabilities were WAY beyond what the Echoplex could do...I just think he showed up late to the party in terms of hardware loopers. Sold it when I started looking into software for looping. Now I use Ableton if I need to loop. But the EDP with the dedicated foot controller was hard to beat. I too had a stereo pair set up for a long time. It's fucking fun. I should get back into it.

- Jim

syncretism

Post by syncretism » Fri Mar 20, 2020 2:45 am

Aye, I've felt the Looperlative's pull, as well. I'm not crazy about the UX as I've seen it, but it does look very compelling for its price.

Auresis Research is, IIRC, still in business, but perhaps isn't developing anything new for Loop.

I'm too old and life's too short for a steep learning curve; I'd rather have something that sounds good and is relatively straightforward, and push it as far as I can - Daniel Hanssen-era Elektron instruments, Serge, that sort of thing. To that end, I've acquired a Boomerang III. Let's see if it turns out to be one of those little triumphs.

doombient.music
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by doombient.music » Fri Mar 20, 2020 4:35 am

jimfowler wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 2:47 pm
That would have been my next candidate to be tossed into the fray but -- I have never seen one in Europe, let alone laid my hands on one.

Should be something like two EDPs in one box, full stereo operation, and a lot of bells and whistles. Not sure whether I am after something that is even more complex to operate than an EDP, though..
jimfowler wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 7:06 pm
[…] But the EDP with the dedicated foot controller was hard to beat. I too had a stereo pair set up for a long time. It's fucking fun. I should get back into it. […]
Same feelings here :).

Stephen

tenembre

Post by tenembre » Fri Mar 20, 2020 11:39 am

I had a Looperlative. Development was in limbo for several years and it was buggy so I let it go. Maybe it's better now?

Still have a pair of EDPs but haven't used them in a bit. May need to dig them out. A midi footwitch with an expression pedal is recommended. Mostly used them for transforming guitar into washy ambient soundscapes, David Torn style - you know, the usual self indulgence...

Minimoog56
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Minimoog56 » Sun Mar 29, 2020 2:49 pm

Another owner of a pair with the latest firmware purchased direct from Kim Flint (RIP). I have tons of looping devices including 16 second delay reissue, tensors, CT5, Electrix Repeaters, etc. Love the Echoplex Pro's - we will never part. I find the stereo linking works with no problems. I wish the reverse functionality was accessible by foot pedal though. let me know if I am missing anything.
Beatniks and Bongos/Bagels and Bongos/Buchlas and Bongos...

de gustibus....

syncretism

Post by syncretism » Sun Mar 29, 2020 4:12 pm

This is a grand auld thread.

Happyanimal
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Happyanimal » Mon Mar 30, 2020 11:06 am

Minimoog56 wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 2:49 pm
Another owner of a pair with the latest firmware purchased direct from Kim Flint (RIP). I have tons of looping devices including 16 second delay reissue, tensors, CT5, Electrix Repeaters, etc. Love the Echoplex Pro's - we will never part. I find the stereo linking works with no problems. I wish the reverse functionality was accessible by foot pedal though. let me know if I am missing anything.
Definitely missing something. Foot switch access to reverse has been there since even the earliest versions. Think you have to give up/ remap insert to achieve this.

Minimoog56
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Minimoog56 » Thu Apr 02, 2020 6:46 am

Thank you - I better pull out the manual - they are useful. I have read it a few times but it is very long document - guess it's buried in there somewhere. :despair:
Beatniks and Bongos/Bagels and Bongos/Buchlas and Bongos...

de gustibus....

Return to “General Gear”