Two hardware sequencers together

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

lmixl
Learning to Wiggle

Two hardware sequencers together

Post by lmixl » Thu Mar 19, 2020 12:10 pm

Polyend Seq. & Squarp Pyramid

What midi settings and connections are required in order to sync and link these two sequencers?
I plan sequencing mainly Ios apps.
I do own Iconnectivity Mio10.

I would like to use the Polyend just for the Drum parts and Pyramid for melodic polyphonic lines.
Which should act as master/slave...so i have one transport control.

Thank you

ersatzplanet
Synthwerks Design

Re: Two hardware sequencers together

Post by ersatzplanet » Thu Mar 19, 2020 12:27 pm

Though I am not familiar with the units mentioned, I used to commonly slave my 2 Alesis MMT-8's together and I'm sure the process would be similar in your case. Basically you chain them serially. The MIDI out of one goes into the MIDI in of the second one and its MIDI out goes to the instruments being played. The second sequencer has to allow MIDI thru so the first sequencer can be heard. The second sequencer is set to be a slave in that it will sync start, stop and tempo from the first. The first sequencer runs the show and will drive those things on the second.

This works perfectly on the MMT-8's. I would do live sessions where I would build up songs on the first unit by playing tracks and adding till all 8 tracks were playing. Then I would add tracks from the second while removing tracks on the first. When it reached a point where all tracks on the second were playing and none were on the first, I would change the pattern (groups of tracks on the MMT-8) on the first unit and then reverse the process by adding tracks from it. With the correct setup of patterns and tracks, you could do this for hours. I don't know whether the recorded sequences can be changed while the unit is playing in the boxes you mentioned, but if they can, the procedure will work on them too.
-James

James Husted - Synthwerks, LLC - www.synthwerks.com - info@synthwerks.com - james@synthwerks.com
Synthwerks is a proud member of the Mostly Modular Trade Association (http://www.mostlymodular.com).
Always looking to trade for Doepfer P6 cases

lmixl
Learning to Wiggle

Post by lmixl » Thu Mar 19, 2020 12:34 pm

Appreciate your info!
ersatzplanet wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 12:27 pm
Though I am not familiar with the units mentioned, I used to commonly slave my 2 Alesis MMT-8's together and I'm sure the process would be similar in your case. Basically you chain them serially.

3hands
Veteran Wiggler

Post by 3hands » Fri Mar 27, 2020 5:52 pm

Yes! I run an MSQ 700 locked to a BSP and it’s simply, midi out on MSQ to midi in on BSP. As mentioned above, keep them serial!!!

Happy patching!
Gum is fun, but not on a cat.

My minds an art gallery.

rurs
Common Wiggler

Post by rurs » Sat Mar 28, 2020 7:27 am

I would always tend to use my drum source as the master, with everything else slaved.
If you can disable midi clock send from the slaves, do that, as it can cause havoc in a loop. Or if that's not possible, filter it out in the mio10 config.

acidbob
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by acidbob » Sat Mar 28, 2020 7:54 am

As said above, only the master should send clock.
Both machines have two midi out ports and USB.

You can use midi thru as well, be aware that some equipment has soft thru which can result in delays in the midi timing.

I would go.

SEQ clock into Pyramid (Clock) - set seq to output midi clock on midi port 1. Set Pyramid to receive this midi clock, do not enable external control input on the pyramid, meaning everything else than midi clock will be filtered away. This is just to make sure you dont control one machine with the other, experiment a bit here.

Now, Use the midi out 2 port of seq and connect to the mio and use the midi A or B port on the pyramid and connect into the mio
Set the mio to merge these to ports and data streams and exclude clock if necessary, maybe you just want clock from the seq. In that case, filter out the clock from the pyramid

OR another scenario is that you dont merge and just have 2x16 channel streams. Make sure they dont overlap in midi channel numbers if using mono instruments. Meaning, dont have seq output on channel 5 and pyramid to also output on channel 5.

Send me a pm if you want me to draw for you

lmixl
Learning to Wiggle

Post by lmixl » Sun Mar 29, 2020 5:50 pm

Amazing feedback! I’ll try everything... but yeah since I wanna use polyend for drums , it will be master

Return to “General Gear”