Favorite 80s rack mount digital reverb?

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

natureclubcassettes
Wiggling with Experience

Favorite 80s rack mount digital reverb?

Post by natureclubcassettes » Sat Mar 21, 2020 8:06 pm

Hello-
I am interested in getting an 80s or early 90s digital reverb rack mount unit and was looking for suggestions. I am looking for something that can do both long lush and modulated/panning/delay type stuff. I am looking to spend at or around $200. It has to be stereo in/out.

I have been looking into Lexicon units but not really gelling with any unless I could find a Lexicon MRC to control the parameters, but still open to suggestions as they seem to be the flagship. The Yamaha REV100 has also caught my eye (any other cool unique Yamaha delays?).

The Alesis stuff is often mentioned as well.

Would love something with front panel controls for delay, decay and possibly modulation. The Korg units (DRV and SDD) are awesome looking but are not stereo in/out.

Thanks! Very open to other suggestions and would possibly pay more if it checked all the boxes.

BananaPlug
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Favorite 80s rack mount digital reverb?

Post by BananaPlug » Sat Mar 21, 2020 8:48 pm

I have been looking into Lexicon units but not really gelling with any
The PCM70 is sure to come up so I might as well put it out there. It's specific kind of sound that was hugely popular. I know it's been talked about here at great length. Shouldn't be too hard to find the old threads but finding a good working PCM70 can be a challenge you may not want. Worth a listen though. Always sounded good to me.

oldgearguy
Wiggling with Experience

Post by oldgearguy » Sat Mar 21, 2020 9:11 pm

The Yamaha REV 100 is more editable (and MIDI controls over params) than the Alesis MIDIVerb II (preset only box, but can sound great)

Both under $200. Lexicon PCM 70 is also mono input, stereo out. Editing via front panel or MRC can be a bit tedious. If you see a PCM 70 for $200, it has previously caught fire or been dropped from a 3rd story window.

FWIW, I'm selling my REV 100.

anselmi
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by anselmi » Sat Mar 21, 2020 9:24 pm

Alesis Midiverb II for great, musical presets (no edition at all)

Art SGE Mach II for versatile fx chain and also sounds very nice and "special" (very different to modern stuff)
Last edited by anselmi on Sun Mar 22, 2020 2:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

rowsbywoof
Veteran Wiggler

Post by rowsbywoof » Sat Mar 21, 2020 9:24 pm

Easily the QRS for me, and I have both a newer yardstick and the original QRS in the rack and I wouldn’t part with either. For gritty, The Ursa Major Space Station. The Space Station is great for LoFi 80s vibe, and the QRS still sounds better and more realistic than most newer hardware and plugins to me.

Edit: LOL sorry, I missed that $200+/- price tag. Yeah, my suggestions are flat out dumb in that case, but still I love them both :hihi:

ndkent
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by ndkent » Sat Mar 21, 2020 9:46 pm

I'd agree with QRS, other than already pointed out they go for at least 10x or 20x the budget. Having lived back then, the low priced ones on the used market today sound kind of mediocre. I had a ART DR1 which was $1K back in the day but seems $200ish now. That was OK. Has a clever though not realistic freeze control which grabs ambience more or less and keeps it going forever. Used a lot of Yamaha SPX90. No desire to use one now but wasn't too bad then.

yeah, Ursa Major Space Station is special as is the $3K-ish going price... and it's 70s reverb, I think they go for more than original retail. Anything Ursa Major, they are all different, but they haven't been $200 in a decade or so, something less pricey like a stargate might be $800ish

I just bought a Dynacord DRS78 while I still could, which is 1970s and more like $400 ish if lucky, a really vintage unreal sound but that's what I was after

Just me
Has enough VCA's

Post by Just me » Sat Mar 21, 2020 10:13 pm

Ensoniq DP4+.
If I have water in my ear, is it safe for me to listen to electronic music?

Blairio
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Blairio » Sun Mar 22, 2020 12:37 am

Yamaha SPX90. It is a multi FX, with good reverb and delay capabilities. However, it does not have much in the way of front panel controls.

For the OP's budget a decent Yamaha Rev 7 could be had, also a number of Zoom multi fx, and finally a Roland SDE2000 (Delay).

nodog
Common Wiggler

Post by nodog » Sun Mar 22, 2020 12:48 am

Maybe not vintage enough but I really liked the Yamaha REV500 back in the day. Alesis Quadraverb is also excellent and maybe a bit more vintage sounding.

Analog Prophet
Common Wiggler

Post by Analog Prophet » Sun Mar 22, 2020 1:03 am

Yamaha SPX90 was very popular at the 80s. Lexicon Mpx500 and 550 in your budget as well as Alesis QuadraVerb... but they might be considered as 90s reverbs. Any Lexicon PCM if you can consider to stretch your budget, my preferable is PCM80/81 (maybe was during the 90s as well? )
The best beat of any music
is the beat of your own heart

http://www.analogprophet.com

Monofunk
Common Wiggler

Post by Monofunk » Sun Mar 22, 2020 2:08 am

As other mentioned the Midiverb II is great.

The Quadraverb 2 can produce a wide range of effects beyond the typical Reverb sounds but it is a rack mount digital reverb.

khakifridge
Veteran Wiggler

Post by khakifridge » Sun Mar 22, 2020 9:02 am

I've had a Zoom 9120 forever and still like it a lot.

bitflip
Ultra Wiggler

Post by bitflip » Sun Mar 22, 2020 9:33 am

Yamaha SPX-90 is great, but only mono input.

Alesis Quadraverb have stereo in/out and are cheap as chips, but have external PSU.

Lexicon LXP-15 has stereo in/out, internal PSU, and 5 foot controller inputs that can be for on/off or continuous (50kohm) operation. If you go this route, try to get the "version II" which has better firmware (though firmware ROMs can be had on ebay IIRC)

BleepBleep
Learning to Wiggle

Post by BleepBleep » Sun Mar 22, 2020 9:39 am

ENsoniq DP2 or DP4 - amazing selection of reverbs, with some interesting parameters to tweak, and its got CV INPUT to modulate things - what more could you want :sb:
- and if you do want more, then there's a whole plethora of distortions, amp simulators, filters, delays, modulation fx and even a vocoder

maltemark
Veteran Wiggler

Post by maltemark » Sun Mar 22, 2020 10:00 am

Dynacord DRP20X (1989) is good value for money
Feel free to use my old samplepacks: https://freesound.org/people/altemark/
--

gruebleengourd
Veteran Wiggler

Post by gruebleengourd » Sun Mar 22, 2020 10:23 am

for under 200 I would second the lexicon lxp15. It has switch and pedal inputs, which means CV/gate control :-)

Also nice and cheaper is the ibanez SDR1000 and 1000+ plus is better but both are fine for reverb chorus delays and panning. I like the sound of these pretty smooth. Lou Reed had one.

In this day and age you can certainly find a yamaha spx900, 990, or 1000 for under 200. I would definately go with one of those over the 90.

roland srv-330 is under 200 these days. The roland is early 90s but that's not really a bad thing.

for just a little bit more you can find a sony dps-r7 :sb:

fac
wig MUffler

Post by fac » Sun Mar 22, 2020 10:37 am

Here's a nice guide:

https://www.vintagedigital.com.au/digital-reverbs/

I have only used a few 80's units. I had a Quadraverb and currently have a Midiverb II. The QV is great but I no longer have time for complex interfaces or deep editing. Most of my effects are 90s and early 00s stuff. My favorite reverb is my PCM-91. I'm always looking for a PCM-70 at a good price but haven't found it yet.

natureclubcassettes
Wiggling with Experience

Post by natureclubcassettes » Sun Mar 22, 2020 11:46 am

Wow! Thanks for all the great replies! I knew you all would be able to help :)

So far the Yamaha REV100 is still in the front running as it has the front panel controls and variety of neat algorithms, as wells as stereo in and out. Rev 7 looks okay too, but lacks the front panel dials I was looking for.

Also really interested in the Lexicon LXP-15... has anyone here used those CV inputs with Eurorack CVs? That would make it really, really capable with my set up.

Quadraverb looks neat, but also like a lot of menu diving, which I'm not adverse to but would rather have something I can tweak right away.

As for the other suggestions: Always loved the Ursa Major as a huge Erbe Verb fan, but wayyyyyyy out of my price range, as are those great Ensoniq modules. And love those Roland units, but it's gotta be stereo in/out.

For a bit of context: this will be my end of chain processor. Right now I am running AX-60 in stereo > Eurorack in stereo > DD7 in stereo and then into whatever reverb I get.

fac
wig MUffler

Post by fac » Sun Mar 22, 2020 2:08 pm

This might not be what you're looking for but I really like the TC Nova Reverb as an end-of-chain reverb.That's how I use it for my live performances and eurorack jams. It has stereo I/O, straightforward interface, several reverb types (Vintage Spring being my favorite), and while it's relatively modern (late 00's) it doesn't sound neither too pristine nor too grainy. And it can be found relatively cheap second-hand, between $100-$200. However, it's not a rack unit but a cross between a pedal and a desktop unit.

I've also used the Lexicon MPX-100 as an end-of-chain reverb in several recordings.

GGW
Veteran Wiggler

Post by GGW » Sun Mar 22, 2020 2:44 pm

I should add the Alesis XTc. It is simple to operate and sounds great. I still have the one I bought new in the day. Not as gritty as the other Alesis budget models of the day, but trying for the Lexicon style sound.

natureclubcassettes
Wiggling with Experience

Post by natureclubcassettes » Sun Mar 22, 2020 3:50 pm

Thanks!

Does anyone have experience with the Roland DEP-5? It looks like it fits the bill...

Return to “General Gear”