°Grid by birdkids

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

birdkid
Common Wiggler

°Grid by birdkids

Post by birdkid » Sun Mar 22, 2020 10:27 am

Dear MuffWigglerites, Mike from birdkids here,

A couple of days ago we've launched a Kickstarter Campaign for our wireless, MIDI/OSC controller - offGrid.
The introduction was meant to be at SXSW in Austin this year, but I think I don't need to explain why that didn't happen.

Despite this being one of the worst times to run a campaign - as a team and family-run business we are working non-stop (#homeoffice) on our mission to ensure access to our technologies regardless of income or socioeconomic status to those who might benefit from it the most for educational purposes and creative expression.

We already have more backers in two days than in our first campaign of RAVEN in 2018, and if we succeed in this climate - we hope to create at least two new positions and continued support to our local suppliers and partners

Share the 💜 and if you can, pledge "Get One - Donate One" to support the cause.

numan7
the most autistic amongst us

Re: °Grid by birdkids

Post by numan7 » Sun Mar 22, 2020 11:52 pm

hi Mike - that sure looks fun!

hmm, any suggestions for if i wanted to use one to control a modular synthesizer? i do have an expert sleepers fh setup in one of my cases. but that would mean having a usb-cable (which is ok, but means less dancing and no ballet moves). i think i'd want a ble interface module to accompany this (any to plans to make one?).

cheers
"well keep your eyes on the road, your hands upon the wheel..." :driving:

birdkid
Common Wiggler

Post by birdkid » Mon Mar 23, 2020 4:25 am

numan7 wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 11:52 pm
hi Mike - that sure looks fun!

hmm, any suggestions for if i wanted to use one to control a modular synthesizer? i do have an expert sleepers fh setup in one of my cases. but that would mean having a usb-cable (which is ok, but means less dancing and no ballet moves). i think i'd want a ble interface module to accompany this (any to plans to make one?).

cheers
Dear numan7, thank you so much for the kind words!
Great question! Here's f.e. how I did it with the following setup:
A025_02211836_C026.braw.18_36_27_09.Still001.JPG
iPhone with CameraKit (lightning to usb) -> cheapest amazon USB-midi cable -> birdkids TheBateleur 42hp system
°Grid was sending MIDI (velocity, pitch, pitchbend and modulation) to various destinations.

The 42hp System has our POWER/MIDI built-in, that allowed for MIDI to be converted to CV.

Developing a BLE module is not really in the pipeline right now, as we have a huge obligation already with °Grid and it will take all our time.
But of course I do not exclude the possibility of using any given MIDI-to-CV device out there, and any BLE device you have lying around like tablet or smartphone, they're perfectly capable already, all you need is a 10-20$ USB-MIDI cable.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Voltcontrol
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Voltcontrol » Mon Mar 23, 2020 6:10 am

Love the effect of shaking & moving the controller. Video: https://v.kickstarter.com/1585739238_72 ... 4_high.mp4

birdkid
Common Wiggler

Post by birdkid » Mon Mar 23, 2020 12:41 pm

Voltcontrol wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 6:10 am
Love the effect of shaking & moving the controller. Video: https://v.kickstarter.com/1585739238_72 ... 4_high.mp4
If we get to kickstart it, the 2nd generation accel/gyro we've implemented can do gesture recognition, AI learning etc.. you could f.e. write and draw with it, theoretically ;)

Return to “General Gear”