MIDI Latency Issue with Oberheim SEM Pro

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

Francosmo
Learning to Wiggle

MIDI Latency Issue with Oberheim SEM Pro

Post by Francosmo » Sun Mar 22, 2020 12:33 pm

Hey, I'm looking for some help with an issue that I've had with my SEM Pro. There is a very noticeable amount of latency when controlling the SEM via MIDI. It is pretty much unusable and isn't tight with my other synths. It's super tight when controlled via CV/Gate but I would like to use MIDI (which is why I bought the pro version!).

I have tried configuring my studio in any number of ways and I get consistent results. The SEM lags with MIDI.

I'm using a beatstep pro to control my SEM and Dotcom Modular. I've tried with other sequencers as well and the results are the same.

Is there anything that can be done? Any help would be greatly appreciated as I love this synth.

Thanks!

Dave Peck
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: MIDI Latency Issue with Oberheim SEM Pro

Post by Dave Peck » Sun Mar 22, 2020 2:38 pm

The cheapest solution is to ignore the latency while you are recording the track, and then 'nudge' the track in your DAW to line it up after recording.

You could also check your midi settings to make sure you are not inadvertently sending a ton of unnecessary midi data to the SEM, like poly aftertouch, etc., which might be adding latecy.

Other than that, if the SEM has some inherent problem with latency, you could just bypass the SEM's midi to CV converter and buy any cheap midi to CV converter gizmo and connect the analog CV outputs of the external converter to the SEM's CV inputs.

Francosmo
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Francosmo » Sun Mar 22, 2020 6:47 pm

Thanks for the tips, Dave.

Yeah, I like to do things as live as possible so nudging later isn't a great solution for me.

I've tried to make sure that I'm not sending to much midi info to the SEM. Have not seen a change in timing.

Yeah, I was hoping to avoid having to use CV as the MIDI offers some nice features (Transpose, Envelope Re-trigger...)

Thanks again for your thoughtful response.

Dave Peck
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Dave Peck » Sun Mar 22, 2020 10:29 pm

You're welcome! It does seem odd, though - I don't think I've ever heard any comments about a latency issue with the SEM before .... so if it's not an issue that is inherent in all SEM Pros, maybe there is something up with yours, or the way it is used in your system, or something, that can be corrected so it acts like other SEMs?

Return to “General Gear”