Prophet Rev 2 Desktop...or similar

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

Pen_Dinas
Learning to Wiggle

Prophet Rev 2 Desktop...or similar

Post by Pen_Dinas » Sun Mar 22, 2020 1:21 pm

Hi, I'm looking at the Dave Smith Prophet Rev 2 Desktop. Having looked through synths it does what I want, has a sequencer etc.
I was just wondering if there was anything else which is similar that people would recommend.

GuyaGuy
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Prophet Rev 2 Desktop...or similar

Post by GuyaGuy » Sun Mar 22, 2020 1:37 pm

OB6, Prophet 6, Blofeld, Virus
Notation Peak or Prophet 12 if you don’t need the sequencer

Lots of options but what are you looking for in a synth?

coolshirtdotjpg
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by coolshirtdotjpg » Sun Mar 22, 2020 1:44 pm

Pen_Dinas wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 1:21 pm
Hi, I'm looking at the Dave Smith Prophet Rev 2 Desktop. Having looked through synths it does what I want, has a sequencer etc.
I was just wondering if there was anything else which is similar that people would recommend.
I guess it depends on what you want. For analog and reasonably priced, it's hard not to recommend. I have a Prophet 6 keys and prophet 12 dekstop, and I used to own a prophet 08. I like my choice, but if you are going to just have one poly and don't need that specific vintage sound and tone, I'd say the Rev 2 is a great choice. If you don't care about easily making analog sounds and don't mind a bit of interface switching the prophet 12 desktop is a great choice. It's really hard to go wrong with DSI, but it is going to depend on what you are trying to do.
New video for my track
Opening The Portal

Pen_Dinas
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Pen_Dinas » Sun Mar 22, 2020 4:02 pm

I've had modular set ups in the past and I was looking at the Novation Peak and came across the Rev 2.
Also saw the Deep Mind too. I think that the only thing that I thought would be nice would be the ability to mess around with samples, but that's a whole different thing

dubonaire
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dubonaire » Sun Mar 22, 2020 4:02 pm

Pen_Dinas wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 1:21 pm
I have a Rev2 desktop and think it is pretty special. It sounds great. I can't really find particular words to describe it, maybe it has vitality. The Curtis filter is a different beast. You may not like it but I have grown to love it. But you don't get the same kind of filter sounds that you do from a Moog or Roland type filter. I also have a Peak. That has a very smooth round sounding filter. It's a very flexible synth. If I had to part with one of them I would part with the Peak because I find the Rev2 has some mojo.

Pen_Dinas
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Pen_Dinas » Sun Mar 22, 2020 5:24 pm

Thanks Dubonaire

hinterlands303
Ultra Wiggler

Post by hinterlands303 » Sun Mar 22, 2020 7:22 pm

I was looking at either the Rev 2 Desktop of a Novation Peak and I went with the Peak primarily because it is slightly narrower and would fit in a standard carry on bag. At the time I bought it I was doing a collaboration with a choreographer in Beijing and wanted a hardware synth to use in rehearsals. The Peak is perfect for me - a great all around synth with a ton of modulation options and a very good sound. The effects are quite good and there are several places to add distortion/overdrive within the signal chain to give more grit and character. They have also done regular updates, added more wavetables along with microtuning, looping envelopes etc.

You can't go wrong with either I'm sure. I've been tempted by the Rev 2 Keyboard quite a few times; Dave Smith makes quality instruments.

wonkychris
Common Wiggler

Post by wonkychris » Mon Mar 23, 2020 4:48 pm

I got a Rev2 about a month ago.

It had not really got onto my radar as I had sort of ignored it, but I wanted to downsize from several synths to one 'good' one and spoke to a mate who had one then delved in deeper.

It was very significant for me when I realised that it can is essentially 2x 8voice polysynths (if you get 16 voice like I have) that can be addressed on individual MIDI channels, has a sequencer , FX , arpeggiator PER SYNTH. Its even got separate stereo outputs for each synth.

Its so nice to program. How you hold a button for an LFO then touch another control to assign it to a destination (same for mod matrix). So direct, simple and flowing

So nice to actually play. I dont 'play' but I have been a lot since I got this thing. You can play a part on one synth/layer, then set a sequence or arpeggio going, then jam on top. Switch to the other layer, get another line going on that, then jam over a second sequence, while tweaking everything else with knob and pedals etc.
Dave Smith has really refined the Prophet 08 into a beautiful thing.
Little things aI love such as the MIDI clock which has loads of settings including 'sync but no start' where the synth won't start in sync with your DAW but you start and stop it manually. Sounds like little things but once you start playing with it, really makes for great music making.

I played with a friends Peak and it just didn't have the feel of the Rev2 .

Gribs
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Gribs » Tue Mar 24, 2020 3:18 pm

I have the original P’08 PE rack. It makes a nice companion to any of the four voice Elektron sequencers. You can do four note chords with one layer and a thick unison bass with the other.

The Peak is more versatile for sound design. In my opinion. In typical wiggles fashion, I have both.
----------------------------------------

Return to “General Gear”