Novation SL MKIII - lacks Ableton Live 9 support

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

clapclap
Wiggling with Experience

Novation SL MKIII - lacks Ableton Live 9 support

Post by clapclap » Tue Mar 24, 2020 3:33 pm

I just bought at Novation 49SL MKIII this midi controller which I have to say is pretty cool. It's touted as the perfect controller for Ableton Live. The real down side of it is that Novation didn't write script to support Ableton Live 9. I find this odd as any basic controller (I previously had an Akai MPK249) would automap sliders to volume, play, stop, record, etc automatically. Now I buy an even more expensive midi controller and it can't even perform these basic functions. This seems like a scheme to make people upgrade to Live 10. Sure they give you Live Lite 10 but it's really limited compared to what I can do with 9 Standard and I don't know if I want to upgrade Live for over $300 just so I can use this Midi controller.

Also, when I talk to customer support, they act like they don't know there's an issue (as though they've never heard of this issue). They say they'll research it and come back to you like it's some magical new finding. Nice one Novation!

Anyways, the product is great but the execution is sleazy.

dubonaire
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Novation SL MKIII - lacks Ableton Live 9 support

Post by dubonaire » Tue Mar 24, 2020 3:37 pm

Are the mappings that different between Live 9 and 10? I'd be surprised.

clapclap
Wiggling with Experience

Post by clapclap » Tue Mar 24, 2020 5:10 pm

I actually installed Live 10 and found the Midi Script for SL MKIII with all the python files. I copied the folder into the Live 9 section to see if it would work to no avail. I just want to be able to launch clips, start/pause/record/etc. I don't think it would be that difficult to get this implemented for Live 9.

dubonaire
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dubonaire » Tue Mar 24, 2020 5:35 pm

You should be able to map them yourself.

JohNovation
1-Post Wiggler

Post by JohNovation » Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:22 am

As others have said, you can manually map parameters for control but deeper integration will require a dedicated MIDI script. The Ableton team are responsible for creating the MIDI scripts that allow hardware to control their software. This isn't something that we are able to create and add to Ableton Live as we are actually a completely different company. We create hardware. Ableton have incorporated the scripts for our new devices in their latest release. We actually bundle an activation code for Ableton Live 10 Lite with our products so you should find that you're able to use that.

Best wishes,

John // Novation UK 🇬🇧

clapclap
Wiggling with Experience

Post by clapclap » Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:47 am

Hi John! I actually was using Live 10 Lite but it's really limited. You have 8 tracks max and only 8 clips per track. It was nice to see but after using Live 9 Live 10 Lite is a serious downgrade. I just wish Novation was a little more transparent in your marketing. You make it seem like it's the "perfect Ableton Live controller" without a single mention of Live 10 being required. I also tried mapping the buttons to launch clips, play, pause, record, etc but none of these are able to be mapped in Live 9. I can map those parameters to any other key but that kind of defeats the purpose of this midi controller. Anyways, I appreciate the response, but I still feel misled.

Return to “General Gear”