Arturia PolyMatrix / PolyBrute coming?

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, lisa

Thelefthandpath
Learning to Wiggle

Re: Arturia PolyMatrix / PolyBrute coming?

Post by Thelefthandpath » Fri Sep 18, 2020 5:37 pm

Are the sliders better quality? My Matrixbrute ones snapped off in no time when touring last year & it took forever to get them repaired.

I'll stick to the Summit thanks m, and maybe the Udo.

SteeVtheRipper
Common Wiggler

Post by SteeVtheRipper » Fri Sep 18, 2020 6:37 pm

Ok....so foot in mouth....after listening to all the demos I take it all back. This synth is awesome and sounds great. Haha. Oh boy. I still wish it had more than 6 voices and after having Hydrasynth I wish everything had Poly AT. But aside from that I dig it. Not sure if I’d buy it. But I dig it.

DigitalNativeDunce
Common Wiggler

Post by DigitalNativeDunce » Sat Sep 19, 2020 6:59 am

The morphing thing is SUCH a good idea, it's wild that it's not been done in a synth before. (Obviously it had been done on stuff like the Octatrack and that one Lexicon effect box.)

MoyaMoya
Common Wiggler

Post by MoyaMoya » Sat Sep 19, 2020 10:12 am

morph is also available on the sonic potions lxr :hihi:

jdkJake
Common Wiggler

Post by jdkJake » Sat Sep 19, 2020 12:18 pm

DigitalNativeDunce wrote:
Sat Sep 19, 2020 6:59 am
The morphing thing is SUCH a good idea, it's wild that it's not been done in a synth before. (Obviously it had been done on stuff like the Octatrack and that one Lexicon effect box.)
It has been done before, just not on an analog synth (as far as I know). Digital synths going back to the DK Synergy/GDS could do it to great effect.

wiperactive
Wiggling with Experience

Post by wiperactive » Sat Sep 19, 2020 12:38 pm

Morphing features have been a round for quite a while (and often barely commented on) in synths such as the Yamaha AN1x and EX5 from the 90s which used two 'scene' buttons each with different parameter settings which could be smoothly morphed between via an assigned modulation wheel. I think something similar appeared in later Yamaha Montage synths.

But yeah, really nice to see a particularly versatile implementation here as well.

MoyaMoya
Common Wiggler

Post by MoyaMoya » Sat Sep 19, 2020 2:52 pm

I would love to find a cheap EX5 :bananaguitar: :nana:

Voltcontrol
Ravey Dave

Post by Voltcontrol » Sat Sep 19, 2020 4:54 pm

Nearly shat myself laughing:

Gaun Yersel!

stylesforfree
Wiggling with Experience

Post by stylesforfree » Sun Sep 20, 2020 4:13 am

Oh dear. I mean, holy wow. This thing sounds amazing. Sighs, bye bye savings account :'(

hippo1
Common Wiggler

Post by hippo1 » Thu Sep 24, 2020 9:16 am

Polybrute makes a winning case for sound designers, or maybe rather 'people who want more than just another poly synth'. NI's Absynth was the first 'standalone' VST I bought, back in the day, for strictly sound-design/soundscapes: It offered a huge potential even with only a few modules combined. This, to me, really seems like a contender for 'Next-best-thing (out of the box)'. The Matrixbrute definitely tempted me, but I was able to resist as it's only mono (and yes, I know you can play paraphonically...). But this brings me back to those first days, delving into design. Even discounting its onboard FX, it sounds huge. Even the price doesn't really bother me; it's less than the P-6 (and fits in with a lot of current 'flagships' touted today).

...Time for me to start scrimping (again!)...

anselmi
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by anselmi » Thu Sep 24, 2020 9:31 am

hippo1 wrote:
Thu Sep 24, 2020 9:16 am
Polybrute makes a winning case for sound designers, or maybe rather 'people who want more than just another poly synth'. NI's Absynth was the first 'standalone' VST I bought, back in the day, for strictly sound-design/soundscapes: It offered a huge potential even with only a few modules combined. This, to me, really seems like a contender for 'Next-best-thing (out of the box)'. The Matrixbrute definitely tempted me, but I was able to resist as it's only mono (and yes, I know you can play paraphonically...). But this brings me back to those first days, delving into design. Even discounting its onboard FX, it sounds huge. Even the price doesn't really bother me; it's less than the P-6 (and fits in with a lot of current 'flagships' touted today).

...Time for me to start scrimping (again!)...
yeah, I think that if you like sound design this synth have a real good feature set...I like sound design too but I don´t like synths that sounds like shit in 70% of the tweaking just to find something that sounds good after 1 hour of searching and listening to broken accordions

the sound character of this synth, at least in ALL of the videos I saw (and I think I saw all of them) makes me think this is one of this synths...a shame since its features are really good
for me the Super-6 have a lot of stuff for sound design as well, but in a kind of not-so-obvious-as-a-mod-matrix way. The fact that you can loop an envelope and have an LFO load user cycles and them both track the keyboard leads to a lot of possibilities, AND it sounds great all of the time

MoyaMoya
Common Wiggler

Post by MoyaMoya » Thu Sep 24, 2020 10:34 am

I can only assume there will be a desktop module to extend polyphony?

dooj88
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dooj88 » Thu Sep 24, 2020 12:03 pm

Sir Ruff wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 7:40 pm
LDT wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 4:26 pm
Sir Ruff wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 2:59 pm
whoo! Will be curious how they implement the mod matrix. Having a zillion routing options doesn't necessarily translate to a poly.
One word: Hydrasynth. :party:
IMHO they have cracked the dilemma of making the perfect user interface. Matrix, macros and all.
Or the Quantum or Moog One for that matter. But they are still using the touch panel here so hopefully they have the ability to easily modulate a given knob.
i agree with other people saying sweet spots aren't given out like candy on halloween.. but when you find them you know it because it jumps down your throat. not sure i can see comparing this to the hydra.. the hydra seems mostly sweet spots, but nowhere near as in your face-spine-tingling goodness... pleasant forgettableness vs presence is what i've gotten from the demos i've seen around.

of course if they hydra can do badass rectum resonating fm i'd love to hear it.

missingtwin
Veteran Wiggler

Post by missingtwin » Wed Sep 30, 2020 9:28 am

I can't get over how ugly this synthesizer is to me. I love the sound and want to buy one but it's going to hurt looking at that color scheme. Perhaps it looks better irl.

seychmar
Common Wiggler

Post by seychmar » Wed Sep 30, 2020 10:24 am

MoyaMoya wrote:
Thu Sep 24, 2020 10:34 am
I can only assume there will be a desktop module to extend polyphony?
I’m holding out for one. It would be a good move for Arturia. After all they already make a perfectly capable and well featured master keyboard. I don’t have the need or space for yet another keyboard.

MoyaMoya
Common Wiggler

Post by MoyaMoya » Wed Sep 30, 2020 11:24 am

I wish they would have kept the analog filters in the Iridium
But I understand cost and such..
I haven't played one yet so I can't speak to the quality of the digital filters
but I have been messing around on a Quantum
and while it is extremely nice and diverse all I can say is:
Poly-after touch as mod source but no after touch on a $4,000 synthesizer??!
come one now Waldorf.. :bang:

It already takes up so much real estate but now you would need a midi controller to use the after touch??

I mean it's not like I can actually afford any of this stuff so I don't know why I'm complaining.. :despair:

nickbonell
Learning to Wiggle

Post by nickbonell » Fri Nov 06, 2020 7:16 am

I know this is a polysynth but I'd like to see a demo where you hear a few more basic and monophonic sounds without loads of FM, FX and modulation. The Automatic Gainsay youtube videos are great but he literally just plays an oscillator a time - very informative though.

I'm close to buying this but I've learned that Mylar Melodies makes every synth he touches sound awesome - he's a bit of a jedi...

blipson
Common Wiggler

Post by blipson » Sat Nov 07, 2020 8:55 pm

Thelefthandpath wrote:
Fri Sep 18, 2020 5:37 pm
Are the sliders better quality? My Matrixbrute ones snapped off in no time when touring last year & it took forever to get them repaired.

I'll stick to the Summit thanks m, and maybe the Udo.
That's good to know because I've played a MatrixBrute in the store many times, and---despite its wonderful qualities---always gave me the impression of cheap construction. I thought either Arturia cut corners to keep an already high price down or, more likely, my impression was totally subjective. I mean, nothing broke in my hands, but the matrix's buttons, for example, lack a positive feel to me. I had gone so far as to have the store transfer a new unit over for me to purchase, but then I backed out, which I rarely do after a decision, so I think the feel contributed to that. It will be interesting to see if Arturia was able to bump up the construction a bit on the PolyBrute, but I expect they still needed to work hard to keep the price from getting even higher.

My Super 6, on the other hand, never gives me a failure of confidence at all. The knobs seem average to me (perhaps they're primo under the hood), but I particularly appreciate the stable feeling of its many sliders.

usw
Veteran Wiggler

Post by usw » Sun Nov 08, 2020 4:19 am

Despite what I consider as huge shortcomings, I can confidently state the matrixbrute built quality is excellent...

Return to “General Gear”