Rich, expansive sounding synth

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

Voltcontrol
Ravey Dave

Re: Rich, expansive sounding synth

Post by Voltcontrol » Tue Apr 07, 2020 7:57 am

blinosynth wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 7:05 am
also thinking on buying some vintage cheap monosynth and then use them in poly samplers like ensoniq mirage or the eps 16 ...
quite cool optionn out there!
Good shout. Autosample in the MPC range does this too.

wiperactive
Wiggling with Experience

Post by wiperactive » Tue Apr 07, 2020 8:22 am

Programming skills and effects such as analogue chorus etc can help a lot here. A few of the Dreadbox Abyss demos came across well to these ears. Just 4 voices though.

StillNotWorking
Veteran Wiggler

Post by StillNotWorking » Tue Apr 07, 2020 9:19 am

That's what make the Super 6 so intriguing to me. This spaces sound are created at the oscillator, — then going through dual analog subtractive synthesis path for a true stereo synth.
looking for service manual for the Clavia ddrum AT or ddrum III

Voltcontrol
Ravey Dave

Post by Voltcontrol » Wed Apr 08, 2020 10:58 am

More interesting suggesting from y'all to chew on, thank you very much!

The MFB Synth Pro also sits well with me.

anselmi
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by anselmi » Wed Apr 08, 2020 2:35 pm

UDO Super-6

gruebleengourd
Veteran Wiggler

Post by gruebleengourd » Tue Apr 28, 2020 6:54 pm

blinosynth wrote:
also thinking on buying some vintage cheap monosynth and then use them in poly samplers like ensoniq mirage or the eps 16 ...
Not a bad idea, but I wouldn't recommend either the mirage or eps16 (and I love ensoniq samplers) for polysynth sampling. yamaha Ax000 series, emu e4 series, akai S1000 S1100, roland s7x0 series are much better choices for making synth patches from a mono.
Last edited by gruebleengourd on Tue Apr 28, 2020 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Voltcontrol
Ravey Dave

Post by Voltcontrol » Tue Apr 28, 2020 8:14 pm

gruebleengourd wrote:
Tue Apr 28, 2020 6:54 pm
blinosynth wrote:
Not a bad idea, but I wouldn't recommend either the mirage or eps16 (and I love ensoniq samplers) for polysynth sampling. yamaha Ax000 series, emu e4 series, akai S1000 S1100, roland s7x0 series are much better choices for making synth patches from a mono.
Thnx for the tip! Question is why not those but the others?

gruebleengourd
Veteran Wiggler

Post by gruebleengourd » Tue Apr 28, 2020 11:03 pm

Voltcontrol wrote:
Tue Apr 28, 2020 8:14 pm
gruebleengourd wrote:
Tue Apr 28, 2020 6:54 pm
blinosynth wrote:
Thnx for the tip! Question is why not those but the others?
the mirage can make some nice hybrid wavetable type sounds -- similar to esq-1 and sq-80, but the amount of memory is tiny. You are pretty much either doing some very lofi sounds transposed too far, or are stuck with very short samples if you want to multi sample. Also programming in hex with the decoder card has a learning curve. The sampling input is very grungy. But if you want cool sounding lofi takes real instruments they are nice.

EPS16+ is more manageable but still you've only got 2MB max. Transwaves in theory allow you to program interesting movement and modulation into the samples, but they are troublesome unless you create wavetables using some external phase vocoder type software like Audioterm. EPS16+ has nice effects, and the filters are nice -- but non resonant. Building patches with layering can make expressive and complex sounds, but their style is very different from an analog polysynth and those are the types of sounds that are least convincing on them.

The samplers I listed all have a lot more memory capacity, at least 16 MB. That way you can make a pretty complex evolving monsynth patch and multi sample it. You don't have to rely as much on the sampler transposition for pitch or it's synthesis architecture for complexity. Beyond that they all have different strengths. The rolands have great sounding resonant filters. The yamahas have excellent effects and decent filters. The Emus have interesting filters and a very complete modulation matrix -- essentially digital modulars. Kurzweils are also very capable. The akai s1000/1100 have up to 8 loop points and are simply solid to use especially if you have a mixer and can make use of the outputs. They also transpose very well. 1100 has great efx and all the features. If you want something older and low memory and lo fi the casio FZ1 sounds lovely. But it's interface is such you have to be commited if you want to do some multi sampled synth patch on them.

Those old ensoniqs IMO are best for loops, chopped or otherwise. The EPS/ASR series is great for drums and loops. They also do straight sample playback keys well, but stretching some monosynth samples into a proper poly replacement is not their forte.

I've had all of them at some point, still have some. The best in my experience for taking a mono and quickly flipping a poly patch out of it is either the yamahas or the emu e4 series.

gruebleengourd
Veteran Wiggler

Post by gruebleengourd » Tue Apr 28, 2020 11:26 pm

The Xerxes is an interesting possibility. You can stick to sawtooths and knock out lush pads. The way it approaches detuning is very effective. However that is just a small part of its flavors. I don't really think it's easy to explain to someone who hasn't used it what it is like. But it does sync and modulation tones with the oscillators unlike any other analogs except the synthex. It can have a kinda analog DX7 FM feel or poly complex oscillator type vibe. It can be programmed to be very responsive to playing. I come up with stuff that reminds me a lot of more complex programming on the SY77, but a bit less alien and more organic life. For me it completely replaces the need for any analog poly that isn't raw weird and a little wonky like the mfb, akai ax60 or a moog opus 3. I've kind of lost interest in the sequentials, oberheims, rolands and such other than the prophet vs or 12.

It's too bad there are so few places you can go to test one out, as it's not necessarily what everyone would like.

The super 6 sounds good in a kind of rolandy way, but I haven't seen anything that makes it unique or surprising. More like a high quality platonic ideal of a high end 80s analog poly. It probably does that with a wider sweet spot than the Xerxes. The xerxes is weird and compelling. It's not so much wide a sweet spot, but rather myriad sweet spots and it's very easy to lose that one great sound for something also good but tonally just different enough. Flipping through my patches I'm surprised how much range of tonality there is. weird synth. it got my vote.
Last edited by gruebleengourd on Mon May 18, 2020 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RickKleffel
Wiggling with Experience

Post by RickKleffel » Wed Apr 29, 2020 1:07 pm

Access Virus TI. Every time I think I need some crazy expensive synth, I noodle on this and realize this does whatever the bee in my bonnet was ramping up to sting me about.

galaxiesmerge
Learning to Wiggle

Post by galaxiesmerge » Sun May 17, 2020 6:37 pm

Schmidt 8 Voice and Jomox Sunsyn

fatbenelton
Learning to Wiggle

Post by fatbenelton » Mon May 18, 2020 5:20 am

Just had another think about this (originally mentioned Deckard's Dream) and there is a cheapish, mainstream option we've all missed - Korg Prologue. it's pretty simple with only one LFO but it has three oscillators and the first two analogue ones are VCO's - not DCO's. The third digital one allows you to layer in some interesting things so it can sound pretty massive.

Anyway, thinking about it myself as it seems a pretty vintage sounding, simple, classic like synth - that you can buy new!

Anyway, just a thought!

gloamtrotter
Common Wiggler

Post by gloamtrotter » Mon May 18, 2020 6:26 am

galaxiesmerge wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 6:37 pm
Jomox Sunsyn
Holy shit, hadn’t checked the price of those in like 10 years or so

Return to “General Gear”