Drone - Live Looper

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: lisa, luketeaford, Kent, Joe.

ResistSound
Wiggling with Experience

Drone - Live Looper

Post by ResistSound » Fri Apr 17, 2020 12:14 pm

Hi all,

I want to experiment with some live looping drones that I layer. I'm not really sure how to do this? does anyone know of an app or software where I can test this out. I'm also open to looping pedals but like I said I've never used one before so I have no idea where to start. If you happen to have any tutorial recommendations that would be amazing as well :)

Thanks in advance!

Mind Flayer
Common Wiggler

Re: Drone - Live Looper

Post by Mind Flayer » Fri Apr 17, 2020 12:44 pm

Tons of options. I don’t know much about the software side of things, but you could check out:

- Ditto looper pedals, they have entry level to more sophisticated;
- Roland RC-202 or RC-505;
- Strymon El Capistan has a looper mode that lets you do frippertronics style looping;
- Line 6 DL4
- Boss RC-1 loop pedal, very basic

murch33
Common Wiggler

Post by murch33 » Fri Apr 17, 2020 2:11 pm

My favorite pedal looper is still the Rang III, although nowadays there are plenty that can compete with it. Multiple simultaneous unsynced loops is perfect for droning. You could also cover similar ground with multiple simpler loopers, but it’s not quite as elegant.

On the software side (or iOS at least) the first thing that came to mind was Loopy. I haven’t used it as extensively but it should do what you want.

Struggle
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Struggle » Fri Apr 17, 2020 2:43 pm

I’m partial to pedals, but seems like there are lots of apps for looping nowadays. Audio Damage Enzo for the iPad seems pretty cool.

Strymon El Capistan in sound on sound mode was my intro to looping. It took me a minute to wrap my head around the settings, but fairly simple. It does mimic tape so consider if you want warble/crinkle in your sound. Lots of El Cap demos on YouTube.

Pigtronix Infinity is a powerful looper and syncs well to midi if that’s important. Lots of button combos that are hard for a person like me to remember.

A lot of loopers will allow old loops to slowly fade out in the background so you can keep adding additional layers and loops don’t get too cluttered. This is one of my favorite things about live looping and find it a nice way to practice playing and improvising..looping is great for just zoning out too.

authorless
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by authorless » Fri Apr 17, 2020 3:10 pm

What software do you already have? Maybe you already have a looper?

I've been using an Electro Harmonix 45000 for years.
"Wait a month and buy from a fellow wiggler who's desperate for new modules." - Johnisfaster

"It's oscillators are so precise and lifeless it's actually a digital modelling analog synth." - nadafarms

ResistSound
Wiggling with Experience

Post by ResistSound » Fri Apr 17, 2020 3:14 pm

What about making a drone loop without a major hiccup? Are there specific pedal that do this? Or, is that something you have to deal with?

authorless
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by authorless » Fri Apr 17, 2020 3:29 pm

ResistSound wrote:
Fri Apr 17, 2020 3:14 pm
What about making a drone loop without a major hiccup? Are there specific pedal that do this? Or, is that something you have to deal with?
It is going to depend on how your looper works. I find the easiest way is to record an empty loop before hand, just decide how long I want it to be, then hit record on the looper, fade the drone in, when it loops back around I fade the drone out.
"Wait a month and buy from a fellow wiggler who's desperate for new modules." - Johnisfaster

"It's oscillators are so precise and lifeless it's actually a digital modelling analog synth." - nadafarms

th0mas
Veteran Wiggler

Post by th0mas » Fri Apr 17, 2020 3:42 pm

If it's not a tape loop is it really worth it though? :hihi:

Another option, my preference for looping and everything else, is the octatrack.

smetak
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by smetak » Fri Apr 17, 2020 4:34 pm

A bit hefty on the prietag and there seems to be some developments to be made on the firmware, but this seems interesting:

https://singularsound.com/product/aeros-loop-studio/

Struggle
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Struggle » Fri Apr 17, 2020 6:36 pm

ResistSound wrote:
The El Capistan and Volante loops are nice and seamless.

authorless
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by authorless » Fri Apr 17, 2020 6:51 pm

Struggle wrote:
Fri Apr 17, 2020 6:36 pm
ResistSound wrote:
I don't think he is asking about the smoothness of the looping, but the transition of the actual sound that is recorded where the sound loops back around. If all the parameters including pitch and phase of the oscillators don't line up right you can get abrupt changes that result in clicks or pops.

Struggle
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Struggle » Fri Apr 17, 2020 7:15 pm

authorless wrote:
Fri Apr 17, 2020 6:51 pm
Struggle wrote:
Fri Apr 17, 2020 6:36 pm
ResistSound wrote:
I don't think he is asking about the smoothness of the looping, but the transition of the actual sound that is recorded where the sound loops back around. If all the parameters including pitch and phase of the oscillators don't line up right you can get abrupt changes that result in clicks or pops.
That’s what I meant by seamless..no clicks at splice points. Those Strymon pedals have some kind of built in transitional clickless magic (within reason). The Pigtronix Infinity has a “click killer“ setting, but it didnt always work perfectly for me. I would often record a empty loop first and then overdub when I wanted to drone.

Edit: I also really like to use a volume pedal to manage swells and transitions while playing into loopers.

xradii
Common Wiggler

Post by xradii » Fri Apr 17, 2020 9:05 pm

I already see it's been mentioned several times but the Strymon El Capistan is a great first hardware purchase for looping duties, you really should check it out... MFOS Ultimate/sequencer, shortwave radio & El Capistan is what I have currently...so much fun ♥

flx
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by flx » Sat Apr 18, 2020 6:53 am

The Mooer Ocean Machine is an easy to use looper pedal with two simultaneous delays and reverb too. Very hands-on and knobby.

It can even create drones on its own:
You can also find and contact me here:
tuesdaynightmachines@gmail.com
YouTube
nightmachines.tv

SPIKE the Percussionist
Veteran Wiggler

Post by SPIKE the Percussionist » Thu Apr 23, 2020 3:05 pm

get a norns and load MANGL onto it.
:P
++

more noiz!

SPIKE the Percussionist

- http://www.manipulate.net -

ASTROGENIC HALLUCINAUTING
CoRE - Constructs of Ritual Evolution
DOGGEBI
Fiddle Witch and the Demons of Doom
morgue city
Unified Space

adg672
Common Wiggler

Post by adg672 » Thu Jul 02, 2020 4:32 am

authorless wrote:
Fri Apr 17, 2020 3:10 pm

hey - can the 45000 have all loops different lengths and unsynced? Is it possible to pitch up individual loops?

authorless
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by authorless » Thu Jul 02, 2020 2:04 pm

adg672 wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 4:32 am
authorless wrote:
Fri Apr 17, 2020 3:10 pm

hey - can the 45000 have all loops different lengths and unsynced? Is it possible to pitch up individual loops?
No, they are all the same length, unfortunately, and they are always synced. The only individual controls they have is volume and panning.

adg672
Common Wiggler

Post by adg672 » Thu Jul 02, 2020 2:41 pm

Cool, thanks. Yeah, shame about that, nice looper otherwise.

EPTC
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by EPTC » Thu Jul 02, 2020 3:04 pm

I love my Ditto X2's, I have three of them and have no reason to expand beyond them. I like out of sync looping. The only looper that's actually caught my eye is a cheap Ditto clone:

They tend to run very cheap, around $65-80 and it's the speed dial on them that I like a lot. It's notched, so you can't sweep the speed but I think it'd be very cool to use. Anecdotes on reliability are uneven. Any Donner pedal users?
SPOKEN WORD WITH ELECTRONICS, http://www.ep.tc/spoken-word
Support the show: https://eptc.bandcamp.com/album/spoken- ... sodes-1-10

This week's episode is on noise and fixed filter bank sound design for Eraserhead and 2001, A Space Odyssey:

nostalghia
Ultra Wiggler

Post by nostalghia » Thu Jul 02, 2020 5:00 pm

Chase Bliss Blooper is a really wild, fun, powerful looper pedal. Deep set of features but easy to use once you play around with it for awhile, manual is good, also tons of videos on YouTube demonstrating all the possibilities. Not exactly cheap though at $500, and too new for used ones to show up on Reverb, etc.

Very cool Layers knob which lets you quickly and easily undo or redo any or all layers you add onto the original loop. Holding down left footswitch will go into "one take" loop record-automatically stops recording new layer at end of loop so you don't have to worry about exact timing. Other nifty features include Stability knob for adding "tape" hiss and warble, two Modifier knob/switches for varispeed/reverse, dropouts, high and low pass filtering, etc. All of which can be "baked into" the loop (recorded) with Additive mode. Save and recall up to 16 loops with layers. Some vids:

“If you look for a meaning, you'll miss everything that happens.” - Andrei Tarkovsky
https://soundcloud.com/nostalghia70s

modulator_esp
schizophonic!

Post by modulator_esp » Thu Jul 02, 2020 6:15 pm

I use the Boss DD-20 for this, it has a looper mode but I just use a long delay, it can do up to 23 seconds, as it's a delay there's no start or end point to worry about so looping is seamless and you can control the density of the loop using feedback. The only other hardware I've found that can do the same is the old Electrix Repeater and I use mine if I need longer than 23 second loops, or multiple loops at the same time
I just like weird music and adventures in sound - gear for sale

adg672
Common Wiggler

Post by adg672 » Fri Jul 03, 2020 1:07 am

Cool to get this thread going again. Got the Blooper and Mood, both great pedals and very different. The EHX 22500 is a good option, two loops that can be unsynced with different lengths. The stereo memory man with hazarai too, looper with delays. Lubadh is good in euro. The Boomerang is sweet too.

Not tried the Donner, looks good bang for buck.

Been using Assimil8or in euro for this too, not traditional pedal-style but can do some cool stuff with CV and has SOS mode now. Bitbox looks interesting too.

L13
Common Wiggler

Post by L13 » Fri Jul 03, 2020 12:18 pm

on the low end i have a boss loop station and its pretty cool for cheap

Return to “General Gear”