Never meet your heroes

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

francoprussian
Wiggling with Experience

Re: Never meet your heroes

Post by francoprussian » Mon Apr 20, 2020 1:46 pm

And hollywood actors.

peteone
Wiggling with Experience

Post by peteone » Mon Apr 20, 2020 1:57 pm

I'm probably going to get a lot of "you should have given it more time" comments but . for me it was Digitakt, just couldn't deal with menu diving.

ObsoleteModular
Wiggling with Experience

Post by ObsoleteModular » Mon Apr 20, 2020 2:08 pm

3hands wrote:
Sun Apr 19, 2020 8:56 pm
Bought an MPC 2000, let’s see how this goes...
They're great for what they do. Built like tanks too!

ObsoleteModular
Wiggling with Experience

Post by ObsoleteModular » Mon Apr 20, 2020 2:10 pm

I've lusted after a Roland GR300 for years. Still do though I suspect it's one that could underwhelm

The GR300 is the proper polyphonic analog guitar synth, not the later MIDI stuff

3hands
Ultra Wiggler

Post by 3hands » Mon Apr 20, 2020 4:17 pm

ObsoleteModular wrote:
Mon Apr 20, 2020 2:08 pm
3hands wrote:

They’re huge!! Haha
Gum is fun, but not on a cat.

My minds an art gallery.

anselmi
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by anselmi » Mon Apr 20, 2020 7:35 pm

peteone wrote:
Mon Apr 20, 2020 1:57 pm
I'm probably going to get a lot of "you should have given it more time" comments but . for me it was Digitakt, just couldn't deal with menu diving.
what?... :eek:

the "you should have given it more time" applies for the Octatrack I think...if you can`t gel with the Digitakt, one of the most straightforward sampling grooveboxes ever, I think this is not the kind of machine for you :despair:
coolshirtdotjpg wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 9:51 am
one of the reasons Buchla synths were originally appealing precisely because they were cheaper than moog, and you could probably trade drugs for them.

anselmi
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by anselmi » Mon Apr 20, 2020 7:36 pm

3hands wrote:
Mon Apr 20, 2020 4:17 pm
ObsoleteModular wrote:
Mon Apr 20, 2020 2:08 pm
3hands wrote:

They’re huge!! Haha
you should see a MPC-60...man, this is a BIG piece of musical technology...heavy too.
coolshirtdotjpg wrote:
one of the reasons Buchla synths were originally appealing precisely because they were cheaper than moog, and you could probably trade drugs for them.

peteone
Wiggling with Experience

Post by peteone » Mon Apr 20, 2020 7:55 pm

anselmi wrote:
Mon Apr 20, 2020 7:35 pm
peteone wrote:
Mon Apr 20, 2020 1:57 pm
what?... :eek:

the "you should have given it more time" applies for the Octatrack I think...if you can`t gel with the Digitakt, one of the most straightforward sampling grooveboxes ever, I think this is not the kind of machine for you :despair:
yeah I just said that

Scories
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Scories » Mon Apr 20, 2020 8:05 pm

The real heroes are the talented people who produces gold out of these instruments.

LameAim
Wiggling with Experience

Post by LameAim » Mon Apr 20, 2020 9:40 pm

I’ve gone through two MPCs - started on a 2000XL and later spent time with the 2500 with JJOS - and didn’t click with either. Had a lot more success with the Roland MV8000. But once I hopped on an Ableton/Push setup, they all feel clumsy and lacking in comparison.

And yet I have to remind myself of this feeling constantly, because I’ve always wanted to mess with the MPC3000...

Voltcontrol
Ravey Dave

Post by Voltcontrol » Tue Apr 21, 2020 1:00 am

Scories wrote:
Mon Apr 20, 2020 8:05 pm
The real heroes are the talented people who produces gold out of these instruments.
Yes, it is possible to polish a turd.

anselmi
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by anselmi » Tue Apr 21, 2020 1:57 am

Scories wrote:
in my country we call them "masochists"
:booty: :agonizer:
coolshirtdotjpg wrote:

mrbloor
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mrbloor » Tue Apr 21, 2020 4:42 am

I wasted months of my life on the Octatrack, totally loved the MD & MnM. Coming from Akai & Emu samplers & an absolute love for the MPC workflow the Octatrack was just a load of headscratching nonsense. Not dissing it, it's probably more that my brain is wired differently. Now a year into Digitakt ownership & I'm still loving it for it's restrictions but also it's flexibility, I probably don't use it in a standard way but compared to the Octatrack at least I've developed a workflow that works.

Regarding heroes, I absolutely love Jessica Rylan, I bought a set of Little Boy Blue & Jealous Heart when she was making them. I love those boxes, brilliantly minimalist design & killer sound & functionality. Sold the set :bang: immediately regretted it, took me a whole two years to track down both boxes for a reasonable price as she'd stopped making them. Fell in love with them all over again, felt guilty cos I had those feelings for a couple of boxes of electronics, sold them. I'm my own worse enemy ;)

ObsoleteModular
Wiggling with Experience

Post by ObsoleteModular » Tue Apr 21, 2020 10:02 am

anselmi wrote:
Mon Apr 20, 2020 7:36 pm

you should see a MPC-60...man, this is a BIG piece of musical technology...heavy too.
Big but .. $€XY! :miley:

francoprussian
Wiggling with Experience

Post by francoprussian » Tue Apr 21, 2020 10:07 am

Big girls need love too

th0mas
Veteran Wiggler

Post by th0mas » Tue Apr 21, 2020 1:05 pm

Voltcontrol wrote:
Tue Apr 21, 2020 1:00 am
Scories wrote:
Ah yes, the 303, 808, 909, 101, octatrack and MPC.. true turds of the generation

3hands
Ultra Wiggler

Post by 3hands » Tue Apr 21, 2020 2:51 pm

th0mas wrote:
Tue Apr 21, 2020 1:05 pm
Voltcontrol wrote:
Tue Apr 21, 2020 1:00 am
Scories wrote:
Ah yes, the 303, 808, 909, 101, octatrack and MPC.. true turds of the generation
:yay:

My minds an art gallery.

daphnid
Common Wiggler

Post by daphnid » Wed Apr 22, 2020 7:11 pm

ObsoleteModular wrote:
Tue Apr 21, 2020 10:02 am
anselmi wrote:
Mon Apr 20, 2020 7:36 pm

Big but .. $€XY! :miley:
I mean, what's sexier than a leather armrest?
mrbloor wrote:
Tue Apr 21, 2020 4:42 am
I wasted months of my life on the Octatrack, totally loved the MD & MnM. Coming from Akai & Emu samplers & an absolute love for the MPC workflow the Octatrack was just a load of headscratching nonsense. Not dissing it, it's probably more that my brain is wired differently.
Yeah I kind of had to rewire my brain to properly interface with the OT and it took a looong time. But man am I glad I never gave up on it. I think it's the last truly inspired piece of gear that Elektron released. Everything after that is still great but they all feel like products responding to a market while the MDUW, MnM, and OT feel like passion projects.

mrbloor
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mrbloor » Wed Apr 22, 2020 7:22 pm

daphnid wrote:
Wed Apr 22, 2020 7:11 pm
Yeah I kind of had to rewire my brain to properly interface with the OT and it took a looong time. But man am I glad I never gave up on it. I think it's the last truly inspired piece of gear that Elektron released. Everything after that is still great but they all feel like products responding to a market while the MDUW, MnM, and OT feel like passion projects.
Yep, all went downhill after they sacked Kola Krauze the actor ;)

soon_come
Wiggling with Experience

Post by soon_come » Thu May 21, 2020 12:06 pm

I tried the MPC One for a few weeks and never in my life have I felt so uninspired and confused by a machine with a screen. Sold it for cash and made +$50 profit because it was hard to find at that time. Don't regret it at all... but I have a feeling I would have liked an older model more. The whole vibe was weird, the touch screen felt like an afterthought and it honestly just felt like a cheap MIDI controller with decent pads and a tablet taped to it.

3hands
Ultra Wiggler

Post by 3hands » Thu May 21, 2020 12:35 pm

So...

Loving my MPC. I took Roger Linns advice and basically turned it into the ultimate Linn 9000. Sampling mainly stuff off my modular.

I will be buried with both the JP6 and my MS20.

And I bought a Behringer TD3 and have a video of me literally giggling with glee at becoming a 14 year old again playing with it and the 909. And from all this, I’ve had an epiphany.

It’s not how they sound. It’s how they make you feel while it’s sounding. And that makes other people feel the same way. And I love that.

My minds an art gallery.

Gribs
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Gribs » Thu May 21, 2020 12:44 pm

I have a dislike for signature guitars, amps, and pedals. I bought a used signature guitar once (Ibanez Joe Satriani something-or-other) for about $1k and turned it around for the same price in about a week because it was so “not me.” I didn’t think it would turn me into Joe or something like that, but I did think it would be a decent guitar. It turned out to be super lightweight. Also the Floyd Rose drove me crazy. It was my one and only guitar with one of those. I also owned a Carvin Allan Holdsworth signature for a while. It was one of the earlier closed semi-hollow bodies. It sounded great at low volume and seemed great on paper but howled like crazy at modest volume levels. I sold it at a small loss. Again I had no thought that it would turn me into Allan, who everyone knows had a tone that was due to his own style and fingers, but I thought it would be a good guitar and it just was not.
----------------------------------------

abandonist
Wiggling with Experience

Post by abandonist » Thu May 21, 2020 12:50 pm

Minilogue. On paper I should have loved this, but I hated almost everything about it - aside from the nice oscilloscope. The build felt cheap, and I couldn’t get a decent sound to save my life. Definitely chalk that up to operator error, but I sold it on pretty quick for a small profit. The only one I’ve bought that I absolutely hated.

Jim the Oldbie
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Jim the Oldbie » Thu May 21, 2020 1:01 pm

Speaking of whom: I got to meet & speak briefly with Allan Holdsworth once, after he'd finished a demo of the SynthAxxe (remember that thing?) at Summer NAMM, waay back when it was still in Chicago. With regard to the topic, he was definitely an exception to the rule - a quiet, humble, kind fellow, especially for someone of his prodigious talent. I didn't know what to say exactly, so I just told him that his guitar solo on "In The Dead Of Night" (first U.K. album) was absolutely wonderful. He smiled & replied, "Oh, cheers mate," and proceeded to take a very long drink from a very tall glass of very dark ale. :lol: :guinness:

Edit: Oh and, the first time I ever played a Polymoog, I was thoroughly underwhelmed. Maybe it was the uneven factory presets, or that I didn't really know what I was doing, but we drove an hour each way just to check out this amazing new thing, and the whole experience was just - meh.

Rex Coil 7
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Rex Coil 7 » Thu May 21, 2020 1:25 pm

umma gumma wrote:
Sat Apr 18, 2020 3:25 pm
Severed head wrote:
Sat Apr 18, 2020 12:31 pm
Vintage guitars.

Not disappointed just underwhelmed and confused at the sometimes insane prices, lust, and bidding wars people have.

I have a 62 jaguar, 69 mustang, access to a 50’s strat(bandmates) all 3 are all original, all 3 are 2nd owner. All 3 have had pro setups and maintenance from well know nyc techs
We got all 3 in the 90’s when the “vintage collector” market was to us none existent, For cheap prices
All 3sit in the closet of our space and every time we dig them out (last time was probably 2.5yrs back)
We think what is all the hype about ?
And chat about about how at least they have a decent value, and stuff them back in the closet to grab our guitars from the early 2000’s that we purchased new ourselves.

And then chat about how in another 10years our guitar will be hitting 20-25yrs old and will have the same “mojo” as I hear it called if guitar stores, except it’ll be our mojo from all the energy we put into it.

Don’t get me wrong they’re great guitars sound and feel good. Some othe people we know think we’re out of our minds to not orgasm over them.
But in all honesty they aren’t all that different than a reissue or even a new middle grade fender. In all the needed aspects-sound feel)
I will say though they definitely look cooler.. with out that nasty glossy thick poly layer.
agree 100%
totally agree, and that goes for pretty much ~vintage anything~ when it comes to guitars and basses. i've purchased a number of utter disappointments ... so i blew off that nonsense and began building all of my own guitars and basses. to me, those are tools, pieces of wood with electrical components ... if the tool doesn't serve me, i've no use for it. "vintage" guitars (basses, amps, stompboxes) are well and good for those that feel they want them. i'm just not among their numbers. Mojonium is bullshit.
Never Quit, Die Falling Forward
5U PROJECT - (skip pages 4 through 6, boring junk) ... https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewt ... highlight=

Return to “General Gear”