Never meet your heroes

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

coolshirtdotjpg
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Never meet your heroes

Post by coolshirtdotjpg » Sat Apr 18, 2020 10:25 am

th0mas wrote:
Sat Apr 18, 2020 9:47 am
J0ris wrote:
Sat Apr 18, 2020 7:52 am
th0mas wrote:
Sat Apr 18, 2020 7:27 am
808 with some overdrive and it is a monster you can still use today. My favourite is to pair it with a Boss BX mixer. Thats right, run the $4000 drum machine through a $60 mixer.
My "issue" with this is that once you start seriously overdriving things, you may as well use samples or a clone like the RD8, as most of the subtleties will be out the window anyway. Same with a 303 btw. So then I don't see the point of laying down megabucks for the OGs anymore. But correct me if I'm wrong.
I haven't tried a RD8, but I sold my first 808 thinking I could overdrive samples and get the same result. I couldn't. I probably could if I spent another 20 hours finding the right samples and the right way to play them, but the real 808 into the BX gives a result more pleasing than any attempts I made to replicate the effect. So when an OG showed up nearby I bought another one.

And that's the other benefit of the vintage classics. Most of them have some great sweet spots and you can dial it in very quickly.
It’s funny that’s how I used the eurorack BX clone, intuitively, without knowing much about the history of the mixer.
New video for my track
Opening The Portal

Red Electric Rainbow
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Red Electric Rainbow » Sat Apr 18, 2020 10:30 am

Voltcontrol wrote:
Sat Apr 18, 2020 8:36 am
No disappointing modern heroes yet?
Polyend Seq was a thorn in my side but thats a different story all together. But for the most part I’ve thought everything Ive been able to use has been pretty cool and the stuff I haven’t looks pretty cool.
TOO FAR GONE

th0mas
Veteran Wiggler

Post by th0mas » Sat Apr 18, 2020 11:08 am

coolshirtdotjpg wrote:
Sat Apr 18, 2020 10:25 am
It’s funny that’s how I used the eurorack BX clone, intuitively, without knowing much about the history of the mixer.
The Feedback PRE BX? That and the PRE KM are what I started with, too. Then I patiently watched my local used ads and over the next two years picked up a BX6, BX800, and a KM60. There's also a good looking Mackie MS1202 (which is the same as the PRE CR aka the CR1604 mixer) I will probably pick up in the next week or two.

Kattefjaes
Common Wiggler

Post by Kattefjaes » Sat Apr 18, 2020 11:20 am

lisa wrote:
Sat Apr 18, 2020 3:25 am
TB303 has a rather unique sound though. These days there are great substitutions but back then every available 303-like product was laughable.
Yep, you can get pretty damn close cheaply and conveniently now. You can also retain that really fun serendipitous workflow; the slightly convoluted sequencer which seems to generate happy accidents a lot of the time. Honestly, it's quite nice having a clone, so you don't need to worry about taking it out of the house, or having to replace failing components. I know that's probably heresy, but an OG 303 may well represent money that I'd rather spend elsewhere for how occasionally I'd use it.

murch33
Common Wiggler

Post by murch33 » Sat Apr 18, 2020 11:23 am

SH-101 for me. I bought one a few years back and it arrived only somewhat functional, and it ended up on a shelf with me thinking I’d eventually get around to fixing it up. I finally did get it running recently only to be completely underwhelmed with the sound.

Sold it within a couple days after that. I was happier with the 101-esque sounds that I got out of my MS20 (which I also sold - wouldn’t mind having that one back).

Red Electric Rainbow
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Red Electric Rainbow » Sat Apr 18, 2020 11:24 am

The Behringer TD-3 is at a price point thats good for gifts too.
TOO FAR GONE

Red Electric Rainbow
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Red Electric Rainbow » Sat Apr 18, 2020 11:26 am

murch33 wrote:
Sat Apr 18, 2020 11:23 am
SH-101 for me. I bought one a few years back and it arrived only somewhat functional, and it ended up on a shelf with me thinking I’d eventually get around to fixing it up. I finally did get it running recently only to be completely underwhelmed with the sound.

Sold it within a couple days after that. I was happier with the 101-esque sounds that I got out of my MS20 (which I also sold - wouldn’t mind having that one back).
SH-101 is king.
TOO FAR GONE

murch33
Common Wiggler

Post by murch33 » Sat Apr 18, 2020 11:33 am

Red Electric Rainbow wrote:
Sat Apr 18, 2020 11:26 am
SH-101 is king.
It should be. That’s why it’s in the “hero” thread, but the sound just underwhelmed me when I finally had it in front of me and running well. There’s plenty of gear that I love when in the hands of someone else, but I didn’t bond with it. :despair:

coolshirtdotjpg
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by coolshirtdotjpg » Sat Apr 18, 2020 11:38 am

th0mas wrote:
Sat Apr 18, 2020 11:08 am
coolshirtdotjpg wrote:
Sat Apr 18, 2020 10:25 am
The Feedback PRE BX? That and the PRE KM are what I started with, too. Then I patiently watched my local used ads and over the next two years picked up a BX6, BX800, and a KM60. There's also a good looking Mackie MS1202 (which is the same as the PRE CR aka the CR1604 mixer) I will probably pick up in the next week or two.
Yeah, that and the pre KM feedback modules. I may just grab one on ebay now that I am moving out of the bay area. I definitely want to get each of those and they all seem to be relatively cheap. I may just buy the 4 input ones to save on shipping.
New video for my track
Opening The Portal

bphenix
Veteran Wiggler

Post by bphenix » Sat Apr 18, 2020 11:42 am

I’ve bought and sold a Jupiter-6 several times and even moddded one with Europa. Just couldn’t get into it, though I know it is a great synth.

KSS
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by KSS » Sat Apr 18, 2020 11:53 am

coolshirtdotjpg wrote:
Sat Apr 18, 2020 10:23 am
I think I’ve had this experience with almost every classic because it takes time to find all of the classic sounds. Often they require a bit of programming that wouldn’t be obvious from just looking at the front panel, or from how I imagined using it. I also get the feeling occasionally that if something is capable of one sound, it should be capable of more and when I actually use it, it’s -at first- much more limited to a few sweet spots. That’s ok though, it’s usually me, not the instrument and I eventually get on with it. There are two exceptions to this: instruments like the Juno 106 that are impossible to make sound bad, and certain instruments that are fundamentally flawed and I cannot get along with after a year of using.
+1(with edits)
Well said!

anselmi
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by anselmi » Sat Apr 18, 2020 12:06 pm

tIB wrote:
Sat Apr 18, 2020 4:41 am
Oh and Octatrack - i'd long dreamed of a full elektron sampler since playing with the MDUW. I still have the Machinedrum, don't get me started on the Octatrack.
the good-old days in the Elektron Users forum, when we were all waiting for the holy grail of samplers to be released, I remember that feeling,tIB...
same happened to me...I hesitated to sell it for a long time but NEVER enjoyed using it and finally I let it go with no regrets.

I´m happy with the Digitakt and Analog Heat now...the rest of the Elektrons are gone...sometimes I miss the MnM
coolshirtdotjpg wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 9:51 am
one of the reasons Buchla synths were originally appealing precisely because they were cheaper than moog, and you could probably trade drugs for them.

ObsoleteModular
Wiggling with Experience

Post by ObsoleteModular » Sat Apr 18, 2020 12:12 pm

tIB wrote:
Oh and Octatrack - i'd long dreamed of a full elektron sampler since playing with the MDUW. I still have the Machinedrum, don't get me started on the Octatrack.
The thing that surprised me about the Octatrack was that the sample machines didn't actually have that many parameters. Sure all the delights come from the combination of everything but even so, I was surprised.

And I also flipped mine.

tIB
Stainer!

Post by tIB » Sat Apr 18, 2020 12:25 pm

anselmi wrote:
Sat Apr 18, 2020 12:06 pm
tIB wrote:
the good-old days in the Elektron Users forum, when we were all waiting for the holy grail of samplers to be released, I remember that feeling,tIB...
same happened to me...I hesitated to sell it for a long time but NEVER enjoyed using it and finally I let it go with no regrets.

I´m happy with the Digitakt and Analog Heat now...the rest of the Elektrons are gone...sometimes I miss the MnM
I've still got my Monomachine too! :)

I sold my first OT, went back for seconds a year or so later and hated that one even more. I did do some cool things with it, though ultimately found the UI incredibly frustrating. It was at least 6 buttons and 4 knobs short. And those reverb trails... I wonder if they ever fixed that mute thing that cut off the reverb trails. I doubt it.

Severed head
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Severed head » Sat Apr 18, 2020 12:31 pm

Vintage guitars.

Not disappointed just underwhelmed and confused at the sometimes insane prices, lust, and bidding wars people have.

I have a 62 jaguar, 69 mustang, access to a 50’s strat(bandmates) all 3 are all original, all 3 are 2nd owner. All 3 have had pro setups and maintenance from well know nyc techs
We got all 3 in the 90’s when the “vintage collector” market was to us none existent, For cheap prices
All 3sit in the closet of our space and every time we dig them out (last time was probably 2.5yrs back)
We think what is all the hype about ?
And chat about about how at least they have a decent value, and stuff them back in the closet to grab our guitars from the early 2000’s that we purchased new ourselves.

And then chat about how in another 10years our guitar will be hitting 20-25yrs old and will have the same “mojo” as I hear it called if guitar stores, except it’ll be our mojo from all the energy we put into it.

Don’t get me wrong they’re great guitars sound and feel good. Some othe people we know think we’re out of our minds to not orgasm over them.
But in all honesty they aren’t all that different than a reissue or even a new middle grade fender. In all the needed aspects-sound feel)
I will say though they definitely look cooler.. with out that nasty glossy thick poly layer.
WTB: modules, MA35 filter.
:help:

Graham Hinton
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Graham Hinton » Sat Apr 18, 2020 12:36 pm

Voltcontrol wrote:
Sat Apr 18, 2020 1:56 am
Have you experienced finally getting your hands on a piece of gear you'd been lusting after- or were inspired by for ages and being deeply disappointed by what you found yourself with?
I think that the EMS Synthi 100 is the ultimate disappointment. In 1976 I got a job in a studio that had just bought one for £35,000 (which was several houses then, a whole street in some parts of the country) and it was the dullest sounding and by far the worst synthesizer I have ever come across. They also had the £15,000 Computer Synthi that couldn't even boot. It still makes me weep to think of what a good EM studio I could have put together for that money then.

tIB
Stainer!

Post by tIB » Sat Apr 18, 2020 12:41 pm

Incredible Graham Hinton!

Red Electric Rainbow
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Red Electric Rainbow » Sat Apr 18, 2020 1:44 pm

6036E6D5-E3D2-42C6-8016-92DD506DA39D.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
TOO FAR GONE

mmp
Veteran Wiggler

Post by mmp » Sat Apr 18, 2020 1:45 pm

Wanted an Oberheim Xpander for a long time. Got it and turned it around. I just never jelled with the sound of it. It's funny how personal these decisions are...

Scories
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Scories » Sat Apr 18, 2020 1:55 pm

I must have been 6 years old when I discovered JM Jarre's Oxygene so I had very high expectations about the ARP Odyssey. When I managed to get one, it never really found its way into the mix and I felt relieved when I sold it.

missingtwin
Veteran Wiggler

Post by missingtwin » Sat Apr 18, 2020 1:59 pm

:sb: oops
Last edited by missingtwin on Sat Apr 18, 2020 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

missingtwin
Veteran Wiggler

Post by missingtwin » Sat Apr 18, 2020 2:06 pm

“That's my experience as well - when I borrowed an 808 and listened to its raw output, I was not that impressed.”

ERROR
DOES NOT COMPUTE

tIB
Stainer!

Post by tIB » Sat Apr 18, 2020 3:17 pm

Scories wrote:
Sat Apr 18, 2020 1:55 pm
I must have been 6 years old when I discovered JM Jarre's Oxygene so I had very high expectations about the ARP Odyssey. When I managed to get one, it never really found its way into the mix and I felt relieved when I sold it.
Im not suggesting you did but think if I went into the Xpander xpecting big sounding oberheim I'd have been disappointed - the oscillators don't have the beef I would expect in that regard. I love mine, but them I love my Monomachine so...

Scories
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Scories » Sat Apr 18, 2020 3:23 pm

tIB wrote:
Sat Apr 18, 2020 3:17 pm
Scories wrote:
Sat Apr 18, 2020 1:55 pm
Im not suggesting you did but think if I went into the Xpander xpecting big sounding oberheim I'd have been disappointed - the oscillators don't have the beef I would expect in that regard. I love mine, but them I love my Monomachine so...
In fact, the Ody was sounding too big for my music. :)
I don't like big sounds that much tbh.

umma gumma
Veteran Wiggler

Post by umma gumma » Sat Apr 18, 2020 3:25 pm

Severed head wrote:
Sat Apr 18, 2020 12:31 pm
Vintage guitars.

Not disappointed just underwhelmed and confused at the sometimes insane prices, lust, and bidding wars people have.

I have a 62 jaguar, 69 mustang, access to a 50’s strat(bandmates) all 3 are all original, all 3 are 2nd owner. All 3 have had pro setups and maintenance from well know nyc techs
We got all 3 in the 90’s when the “vintage collector” market was to us none existent, For cheap prices
All 3sit in the closet of our space and every time we dig them out (last time was probably 2.5yrs back)
We think what is all the hype about ?
And chat about about how at least they have a decent value, and stuff them back in the closet to grab our guitars from the early 2000’s that we purchased new ourselves.

And then chat about how in another 10years our guitar will be hitting 20-25yrs old and will have the same “mojo” as I hear it called if guitar stores, except it’ll be our mojo from all the energy we put into it.

Don’t get me wrong they’re great guitars sound and feel good. Some othe people we know think we’re out of our minds to not orgasm over them.
But in all honesty they aren’t all that different than a reissue or even a new middle grade fender. In all the needed aspects-sound feel)
I will say though they definitely look cooler.. with out that nasty glossy thick poly layer.
agree 100%

Return to “General Gear”